Home
Posted By: Whelenman Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Did any one else buy one of these pieces of [bleep]? My wife and I bought one about 4 years ago. We got a letter about two years later saying it could come unglued during the spin cycle. We could get about $100. Off on a new one, or we could have it juryrigged by a repairman.
End of rant!
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Samsung washers - Hmmm. Sounds a little kinky to round eyes but good for Samsung. (Pardon me, I've been up all night...)
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Did any one else buy one of these pieces of [bleep]? My wife and I bought one about 4 years ago. We got a letter about two years later saying it could come unglued during the spin cycle. We could get about $100. Off on a new one, or we could have it juryrigged by a repairman.
End of rant!

I bought Samsung Washer and Dryer set a few years back. The dryer caught on fire, I threw the breaker and kept an eye on it. It filled the laundry room with smoke and an burnt electric stench. Samsung gave me the full purchase price back after 3 years of service. I tossed the Washer and will never buy another Samsung anything probably not even a TV and I have 4 Samsung Flat screens.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
knock on wood, I am Samsung everything in my house except the dishwasher which is Bosch

I have no complaints, everything has been working great and its all over 6 years old
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
We had one. A gear finally went out and it wasn't worth fixing. We now have a Whirlpool. The Samsung was one of those high efficiency models that used less water. Yeah, right. It saved water, all right. Many times we'd take the clothes out and find dry spots where the water never got to them. To even get everything wet, let alone clean, we'd have to use a cycle for heavy bedding. That one filled the whole tub.
The problem with reviews is that they don't allow you to show 5 black stars instead of gold.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I for got the dry spots when you pull the clothes out of the washer! We spent roughly 1500. Bucks for the washer and dryer.
Posted By: EdM Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Happily going on 12 years with mine. I have had to replace the heating element in the accompanying dryer though. A 15 minute $30 job.
I forgot to mention the Samsung flood. There's a plastic tube that measures the water depth. It came off and wouldn't quit filling. It dumped at least 10 gal on the floor before we caught it. It was a real mess.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Modern appliances are notoriously problem prone. In a lot of research it looks like Samsung customer service is bottom rung. My mother bought their most expensive range. It never worked right. It took her forever to get a repair person to come look at it, and the times he came out he never accomplished anything. She suffered through it for 2 years and finally got rid of it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I got one about 6 yrs ago. Silver ion front loader, plays a little tune when the wash was done. Hi efficiency, energy star, etc. paid about $900 just for the washer.

3 years into the romance, the motherboard took a shît. $200 to DIY new board.

It was still usable, you just had to manually advance the cycles.

Chucked that POS and went got myself a $250 whirlpool top loader at Lowe’s with some leftover gift cards like I should have to begin with. Been fine ever since. No complaints from Concepcion
An appliance guy told me they work well when/while they work, but parts are often impossible to find. I don't know if society views them as disposable, so Samsung builds them that way, or if it's vice-versa.

FC
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Kenmore washer and dryer here.

I dont trust the new schit. Maybe they work good for clean people.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I will never own another Samsung appliance.

Dryer (same as Slummy's) is on it's third heating element. I've had to DIY repair our refrigerator 3 times now; main motherboard, freezer thermistor, refrigerator thermistor. Ice maker is dead now, and we have to chip ice out of the bottom of the freezer every few weeks.

The 'fridge is DIY because no one around here will work on it. Anyone I call hears it is a Samsung and they won't even roll a truck to take a look.

Pieces of CHIT.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Who makes Kenmore?
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I got screwed on one too. It was rotting out around the detergent bowl after 2 years. I replaced it with LG.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Who makes Kenmore?

Who ever bid the job cheapest.
Posted By: woodson Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I’ve sworn off any and all Samsung products. Currently rocking a Speed Queen washer and dryer. You could stuff a corpse in them with a load of laundry and it wouldn’t even bat an eye.
Originally Posted by duck911

Dryer (same as Slummy's) is on it's third heating element. I've had to DIY repair our refrigerator 3 times now; main motherboard, freezer thermistor, refrigerator thermistor. Ice maker is dead now, and we have to chip ice out of the bottom of the freezer every few weeks.

The 'fridge is DIY because no one around here will work on it. Anyone I call hears it is a Samsung and they won't even roll a truck to take a look.

Pieces of CHIT.

The ice in the bottom of your freezer could be a fan not working. It's supposed to remove humidity that condenses and freezes. Frost free freezers aren't very efficient because that fan keeps sucking out cold air that needs to be replaced.

We have an LG fridge. We've never had a problem yet but I've heard stories that their service is less than stellar, too. Parts are said to be very hard to get.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by woodson
I’ve sworn off any and all Samsung products. Currently rocking a Speed Queen washer and dryer. You could stuff a corpse in them with a load of laundry and it wouldn’t even bat an eye.

We have a Speed Queen washer, and we love it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20

Pieces of CHIT.

Y'all can 'splain me this?

Why the "F" does a frigidator need a motherboard?

All it needs to do is cool stuff down? Condenser, compressor, some coils, a thermostat..................I think they first came out with the idea back when horses still pulled the ice wagon around.................and they put them out of business pretty early on.

Thank you guys for the reminder. Our fridge is 10 +/- years old, still keeps things cold, makes a bit of noise, but it doesn't have a motherboard. Thanks to you folks, when we get a new one..................I'll be looking for a non-computerized model.

Same goes for the 15+ year old washer and dryer. Going to buy the simplest model I can find.

Geno

PS Kenmore stuff now, front load washer probably has a computer in it, as it's got an awful lot of choices to do laundry. Dryer is the simple model. When it gets to replacing time, wife wants a top loader next time. I may look into Speed Queen home version of their laundromat models.
The motherboard controls temp, lights, water filter (if any), time of day, and who's favored at Pimlico. It's all electronic crap that costs money and doesn't help the fridge a bit.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I will never buy another Samsung, LG, or Bosch appliance. I have a Samsung washer and dryer that are about 4 years old. I just replaced the rollers on the dryer as they fell all to pieces on the back side. The washing machine has a mind of its own and won't go through all the cycles part of the time. So far, repairclinic.com I can find any part I need for them. Now the Bosch dishwasher the wife bought last spring for quite a bit of money, the heating element went and finding the right parts for it was ridiculous. It's on order and I should have it next week. That part alone was 1/3 of the price of a new one.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
Bought a samsung washer when our other washer quit in the middle of all of Wifes stroke stuff. Was short on cash and it was cheap. It still works, but have known better machines. Doesn’t seem tomget things as clean as the old machines with a dasher in them. Will ise it til it dies. Plays one of Schuberts "Trout" quintets when finished. I suppose when it buys the farm it will be "Lacrimosa" from Mozart’s requiem.
Posted By: Texasdude29 Re: Samsung washers - 04/29/20
I had two Samsung washers and they were a POS. I asked a friend's friends who repairs commercial washers about what to buy. He said to go and buy a Speed Queen that is used in commercial laundries because it is gear driven, no belts, and no touch screen boards. Works like a champ. That was 8 years ago. Daughter and son both followed with buying Speed Queen and no problems!!!! Probably holds a little less than the fancy ones, but peace of mind means a lot!!!
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20

Pieces of CHIT.

Some refrigerator freezers are famous for the ice in the bottom of the freezer compartment. My Maytag refer/freezer started doing that at about five years in.

Here is what's happening. The frost free freezer actually has a heating coil which warms and melts any ice from the freezer elements. That water has to go somewhere, so it runs into the bottom of the freezer under the sliding drawer. There is an orifice and a tube at the back of the freezer compartment to drain the water into an evaporative tray under the fridge. The fan for the motor/condensor blows air across the water filled tray and evaporates it.

That tube can get blocked. Sometimes algae or bacteria will grow in it. The obstruction will retain water in the tube long enough for it to freeze.

The fix is to access the back of the freezer compartment and inject hot water into the top of the tube to melt the ice out. Once the tube is clear, flush it with bleach to kill whatever is growing.

So when you get tired of clearing the ice out of the drain tube about once every six months, the more permanent solution is to grab about eight inches of #12 insulated solid copper conducter, like from the inside of Romex. Push the insulated wire down into the drain tube. Stip about an inch at the top of the wire and wrap it once around the aforementioned heating coil.

Each time the freezer does a defrost cycle, that wire will conduct enough heat down the drain tube to clear it of any ice. I might be concerned that the warm copper wire would melt the plastic of the drain tube. That is why I left the insulation intact down the tube.

After clearing the drain tube every six months for about two years, I installed the copper wire. It has been trouble free now for six or seven years.

Samsung washing machines? Total POS. Each of my two daughters bought a set. Within three years both washers and both dryers had been hauled to the dump and replaced with other brands.

Our Maytag washer and dryer set was still running like new after twenty years.
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Speed Queen, about the only washer left with an agitator. If it doesn’t have an agitator it doesn’t wash worth a hoot!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
I had to go look.
We have an LG TROMM.... whatever that is.
I can't keep up with everything.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Happily going on 12 years with mine. I have had to replace the heating element in the accompanying dryer though. A 15 minute $30 job.

Near exact same case here. We have 12 years-ish on ours, and the dryer isn't throwing heat. I need to fix it when I get back from here, but may just call a guy and pay the exorbitant price.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
I remember when you could buy a Maytag and be comfortable that you wouldn't have repair problems for years. Most appliances these days are made by a few companies and badge engieneered. They have it down to a fine science to make their crap break down just after the warranty expires. Then you have to do a cost-benefit analysis on whether to but new crappy machines or pay a guy a couple hundred bucks every year or so to make repairs. If we tell China to [bleep] off and start building our own crap, they'll' last but the price will be back to where it was when I was a kid (adjusted for inflation) which means saving for a while to get appliances. Maybe that's for the best, the last time I was at the dump there was a mountain of disposable appliances. Please forgive the incoherent post, well into a twixer of Stoli
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Speed Queen, about the only washer left with an agitator. If it doesn’t have an agitator it doesn’t wash worth a hoot!

And they actually use enough water to cover the contents of the washer.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Originally Posted by knivesforme
I commented earlier that our Samsung didn't even get the clothes completely wet. I think the lack of an agitator in addition to the low water level was the problem. We currently have a Whirlpool without one but it has a deep water setting that adds extra water and it works much better.
Posted By: Cast Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
We just bought a Speed Queen classic set. The washer does have an agitator. No touchscreen top loader with water level selection. It’s their most expensive washer. Both the washer and dryer have a ten year bumper to bumper warranty. They replaced a set of Maytag that were over thirty years old.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
End of rant!

I bought Samsung Washer and Dryer set a few years back. The dryer caught on fire, I threw the breaker and kept an eye on it. It filled the laundry room with smoke and an burnt electric stench. Samsung gave me the full purchase price back after 3 years of service. I tossed the Washer and will never buy another Samsung anything probably not even a TV and I have 4 Samsung Flat screens.

I have replaced a Samsung washer, dryer, and oven in the last 6 months I will never buy Samsung again. Our dryer also had a small fire inside it. The appliance guy said Samsung sucks and he carries twice as many parts for them on his truck than other brands.

As for washers I recommend the Maytag commercial washer, it’s simple but fills up and agitates like an old school washer. Look up reviews on it
Posted By: MM879 Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
I have a Maytag set at 25yrs old. I had to remove the water valve on the washer and clean the rust off the screen on the hot water side. I might have to try Samsung next time?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20

Speed Queen top dog models.......7 year warranty.....gas dryer

Been using just over one year....no problems....but $2100+ purchase price
Posted By: Brad Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Samsung front loader W&D here (dryer is gas). 7 years, zero problems. Cleans and drys beautifully.

However, in the homes I've built over the last few years most of my customers are going back to top loaders. They seem more trouble free.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
Got me scared now. Bought a Samsung elec.dryer and washer set about 2 yrs ago. No problems yet, but I would hate to be next to them when on spin cycle and something lets loose! Would be like standing next to a Blown Hemi coming apart at the drags.They should have put a tachometer on it!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
ALWAYS buy a mechanical Maytag...no electronic push buttons computer type crap and you'll always fair well..
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20

And they actually use enough water to cover the contents of the washer.[/quote]

Now that another thing! That sob never had enough water to cover the clothes. I can see a Speed Queen in the future! The dryer so far in good!!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
My mother had a wringer until ~1955.
My mother in law's wringer is in a Museum in Japan.

I had top loading washers that wore out my jeans.

Now I have a front loader that does not wear out the clothes.

When I go hunting I stay with a guy with a top loader. He refuses to use the microwave that came with the house. He will only drive 70s Ford trucks.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Samsung washers - 04/30/20
We purchased a new Samsung washer and dryer when we bought this house and they lasted not quite 3 years. We replaced them with a new LG washer and dryer which lasted about 2 years. NEVER AGAIN will I buy that Koreanshit. I’ll stick with Maytag (my favorite) Whirlpool, Kenmore or Frigidaire. We bought a big Samsung refrigerator when we bought this house and it’s still going strong with no problems whatsoever. I still wouldn’t buy another Korean appliance knowing what I know now.

One I finish building our new 1500 sq/ft wrap around deck I’ll be shopping for a new washer and dryer set. Part of the washer and dryer project will mean that I’ll run gas pipe 10 feet and stub in the connection for a gas dryer. I’m sick of inefficient electric dryers and the time it takes to dry a load of Wranglers and Carharts. Our Maytag Neptune would dry a load of double front Carharts in less than 30 minutes. I made the mistake of throwing on a pair of Carharts straight outta the dryer......the rivets branded me for life. I must’ve been quite a site squealing like a little girl running around the house furiously trying to get those pants off before the rivets and zipper burned my flesh and made the house smell like death. Man I miss that dryer but at least I still have it in storage, I’ll fire it up once I run the gas line.
Posted By: pal Re: Samsung washers - 05/01/20
Been using the local laundromat for many years. But this virus deal made me rethink the risks as I'm 76 years old. So I have just purchased a new display model Maytag front load washer whose sheet metal cabinet is pretty beat up, though the face is nice. Also picked up a really nice 3-year old Samsung gas dryer in a matching color. I'll have to convert that to propane.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]ostimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]photo and images hosting free
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Samsung washers - 05/01/20
When our 30+ year old Maytag washer finally died (part cost = not worth repairing), our repair guy recommended Speed Queen, so we got a set one level below the top. So far we've been very happy with them.

Paul
Posted By: duck911 Re: Samsung washers - 05/08/20
Wouldn't you fuggin' know it. I NEVER should have replied to this thread.

Monday this week, our Samsung washer took a chit. Talk about funny timing.

It would fill up on the rinse cycle, start to spin, sputter, and never get to an actual spin. Sometimes. Other times it'd pump water and start spinning, but at the end of the spin cycle there was still some water in the tub, with soaking wet clothes.

Found this sheet with tricks to get into all the diagnostic and test modes:

https://www.pcrichard.com/images/promos/WF328 Fast track R2.pdf

A common issue on these washers is a plugged drain pump filter. We have always had dogs, so I started there. Took the back panel off.....no filter. My model is one of the very first made before they added a filter and access panel to the front of the unit, come to learn. So I pulled the pump unit as that seemed the next most likely thing. It tested 13.9 Ohms, dead on per factory service manual specifications. It even pumped MOST of the time in the diagnostic mode, but not always. Hmmmmmm.... I was actually eyeballing the water level sensor as the culprit, since the pump had perfect resistance.

Put it all back together, same issue. Found a new pump for $40 on E-bay and told me wife, "give me until Friday. If it's not fixed, new W&D on Saturday." She got ALL kinds of excited.

Pump arrived today. On our 3rd load of backed-up laundry, trouble free. Wife isn't so happy now, LMAO.

Never again, Samsung.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Samsung washers - 05/09/20
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by EdM

Near exact same case here. We have 12 years-ish on ours, and the dryer isn't throwing heat. I need to fix it when I get back from here, but may just call a guy and pay the exorbitant price.

My semi-mechanically inclined wife just replaced the heating element, thermostat, and thermal fuse in our dryer. She said it was pretty easy and has been successful. We've had the set now for a bit over 12 years with this being the first repair needed ever.
Posted By: rlott Re: Samsung washers - 05/09/20
Bad news. The guts of all of them come from the same place.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Samsung washers - 05/09/20

Same, same here.

I do have an LG side by side fridge though. Purchased new in 2007 and still going. Blow and clean the dust off the compressor every so often.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Samsung washers - 05/09/20
We bought an LG washer and dryer set about a month ago and are very happy with it so far.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Samsung washers - 05/09/20
Well, load #4, problem is back.

Fuuuugggggggggg...........

In diagnostic mode, washer is displaying error code "d".

I cannot find "d" anywhere on line. There is dE, dO, all kinds of stuff, but no just plain "d".
Posted By: pal Re: Samsung washers - 05/10/20
Got the new Maytag fired up for the first time today. Wow! What a machine! So quiet. Never seen a washer spin dry at such speed before. Clothes come out so dry! Also very pleased with the Samsung gas dryer running on propane.
© 24hourcampfire