-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The motherboard controls temp, lights, water filter (if any), time of day, and who's favored at Pimlico. It's all electronic crap that costs money and doesn't help the fridge a bit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will never buy another Samsung, LG, or Bosch appliance. I have a Samsung washer and dryer that are about 4 years old. I just replaced the rollers on the dryer as they fell all to pieces on the back side. The washing machine has a mind of its own and won't go through all the cycles part of the time. So far, repairclinic.com I can find any part I need for them. Now the Bosch dishwasher the wife bought last spring for quite a bit of money, the heating element went and finding the right parts for it was ridiculous. It's on order and I should have it next week. That part alone was 1/3 of the price of a new one.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Bought a samsung washer when our other washer quit in the middle of all of Wifes stroke stuff. Was short on cash and it was cheap. It still works, but have known better machines. Doesn’t seem tomget things as clean as the old machines with a dasher in them. Will ise it til it dies. Plays one of Schuberts "Trout" quintets when finished. I suppose when it buys the farm it will be "Lacrimosa" from Mozart’s requiem.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had two Samsung washers and they were a POS. I asked a friend's friends who repairs commercial washers about what to buy. He said to go and buy a Speed Queen that is used in commercial laundries because it is gear driven, no belts, and no touch screen boards. Works like a champ. That was 8 years ago. Daughter and son both followed with buying Speed Queen and no problems!!!! Probably holds a little less than the fancy ones, but peace of mind means a lot!!!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by duck911
I will never own another Samsung appliance.

Dryer (same as Slummy's) is on it's third heating element. I've had to DIY repair our refrigerator 3 times now; main motherboard, freezer thermistor, refrigerator thermistor. Ice maker is dead now, and we have to chip ice out of the bottom of the freezer every few weeks.

The 'fridge is DIY because no one around here will work on it. Anyone I call hears it is a Samsung and they won't even roll a truck to take a look.

Pieces of CHIT.

Some refrigerator freezers are famous for the ice in the bottom of the freezer compartment. My Maytag refer/freezer started doing that at about five years in.

Here is what's happening. The frost free freezer actually has a heating coil which warms and melts any ice from the freezer elements. That water has to go somewhere, so it runs into the bottom of the freezer under the sliding drawer. There is an orifice and a tube at the back of the freezer compartment to drain the water into an evaporative tray under the fridge. The fan for the motor/condensor blows air across the water filled tray and evaporates it.

That tube can get blocked. Sometimes algae or bacteria will grow in it. The obstruction will retain water in the tube long enough for it to freeze.

The fix is to access the back of the freezer compartment and inject hot water into the top of the tube to melt the ice out. Once the tube is clear, flush it with bleach to kill whatever is growing.

So when you get tired of clearing the ice out of the drain tube about once every six months, the more permanent solution is to grab about eight inches of #12 insulated solid copper conducter, like from the inside of Romex. Push the insulated wire down into the drain tube. Stip about an inch at the top of the wire and wrap it once around the aforementioned heating coil.

Each time the freezer does a defrost cycle, that wire will conduct enough heat down the drain tube to clear it of any ice. I might be concerned that the warm copper wire would melt the plastic of the drain tube. That is why I left the insulation intact down the tube.

After clearing the drain tube every six months for about two years, I installed the copper wire. It has been trouble free now for six or seven years.

Samsung washing machines? Total POS. Each of my two daughters bought a set. Within three years both washers and both dryers had been hauled to the dump and replaced with other brands.

Our Maytag washer and dryer set was still running like new after twenty years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Speed Queen, about the only washer left with an agitator. If it doesn’t have an agitator it doesn’t wash worth a hoot!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to go look.
We have an LG TROMM.... whatever that is.
I can't keep up with everything.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by EdM
Happily going on 12 years with mine. I have had to replace the heating element in the accompanying dryer though. A 15 minute $30 job.

Near exact same case here. We have 12 years-ish on ours, and the dryer isn't throwing heat. I need to fix it when I get back from here, but may just call a guy and pay the exorbitant price.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I remember when you could buy a Maytag and be comfortable that you wouldn't have repair problems for years. Most appliances these days are made by a few companies and badge engieneered. They have it down to a fine science to make their crap break down just after the warranty expires. Then you have to do a cost-benefit analysis on whether to but new crappy machines or pay a guy a couple hundred bucks every year or so to make repairs. If we tell China to [bleep] off and start building our own crap, they'll' last but the price will be back to where it was when I was a kid (adjusted for inflation) which means saving for a while to get appliances. Maybe that's for the best, the last time I was at the dump there was a mountain of disposable appliances. Please forgive the incoherent post, well into a twixer of Stoli

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Speed Queen, about the only washer left with an agitator. If it doesn’t have an agitator it doesn’t wash worth a hoot!

And they actually use enough water to cover the contents of the washer.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by knivesforme
I commented earlier that our Samsung didn't even get the clothes completely wet. I think the lack of an agitator in addition to the low water level was the problem. We currently have a Whirlpool without one but it has a deep water setting that adds extra water and it works much better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We just bought a Speed Queen classic set. The washer does have an agitator. No touchscreen top loader with water level selection. It’s their most expensive washer. Both the washer and dryer have a ten year bumper to bumper warranty. They replaced a set of Maytag that were over thirty years old.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Did any one else buy one of these pieces of [bleep]? My wife and I bought one about 4 years ago. We got a letter about two years later saying it could come unglued during the spin cycle. We could get about $100. Off on a new one, or we could have it juryrigged by a repairman.
End of rant!

I bought Samsung Washer and Dryer set a few years back. The dryer caught on fire, I threw the breaker and kept an eye on it. It filled the laundry room with smoke and an burnt electric stench. Samsung gave me the full purchase price back after 3 years of service. I tossed the Washer and will never buy another Samsung anything probably not even a TV and I have 4 Samsung Flat screens.

I have replaced a Samsung washer, dryer, and oven in the last 6 months I will never buy Samsung again. Our dryer also had a small fire inside it. The appliance guy said Samsung sucks and he carries twice as many parts for them on his truck than other brands.

As for washers I recommend the Maytag commercial washer, it’s simple but fills up and agitates like an old school washer. Look up reviews on it

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Maytag set at 25yrs old. I had to remove the water valve on the washer and clean the rust off the screen on the hot water side. I might have to try Samsung next time?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Speed Queen top dog models.......7 year warranty.....gas dryer

Been using just over one year....no problems....but $2100+ purchase price

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Samsung front loader W&D here (dryer is gas). 7 years, zero problems. Cleans and drys beautifully.

However, in the homes I've built over the last few years most of my customers are going back to top loaders. They seem more trouble free.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Got me scared now. Bought a Samsung elec.dryer and washer set about 2 yrs ago. No problems yet, but I would hate to be next to them when on spin cycle and something lets loose! Would be like standing next to a Blown Hemi coming apart at the drags.They should have put a tachometer on it!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by kenster99; 04/30/20. Reason: add pic
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ALWAYS buy a mechanical Maytag...no electronic push buttons computer type crap and you'll always fair well..

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

And they actually use enough water to cover the contents of the washer.[/quote]

Now that another thing! That sob never had enough water to cover the clothes. I can see a Speed Queen in the future! The dryer so far in good!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My mother had a wringer until ~1955.
My mother in law's wringer is in a Museum in Japan.

I had top loading washers that wore out my jeans.

Now I have a front loader that does not wear out the clothes.

When I go hunting I stay with a guy with a top loader. He refuses to use the microwave that came with the house. He will only drive 70s Ford trucks.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.