Home
Posted By: Dirtfarmer 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
I just bought an FN action from a Fire contributor. I want to build a 9.3x62.

I'm thinking I want this gun to be around 8 pounds before scope is mounted.

I would like suggestions on the right smith to use. The smiths I regularly use do precision work, mostly on M-700's, etc. I need someone who likes these old Mausers, has a 9.3x62 reamer and is set up to work on these guns.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
tip burns, canyon lake, texas.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle and Tool will do it. I ran it by him, thinking that he was more into the precision, high tech stuff. Come to find out, he's building a couple of .404 Jeffery DG rifles for clients going to Africa. He seemed excited about doing a 9.3x62 project. So, who would have guessed. Ray has done 5 projects for me so far, so I'll stick with him.

Thanks for the help.

DF
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
Very nice start to a 9.3x62 you have there.
Thanks,

The trigger is a vintage Canjar. I don't know who made the M-70 type safety. It doesn't look like the ones in the Brownell catalog. The bolt handle is also a bit different. I'll have to evaluate it when I get the action in hand. It looks like a post war military FN. It's not a "C" type, having two slots for raceways, which makes it newer. The seller says it's super slick and that's why he bought it.

I'll have more in it than if I went with a CZ 550, but it'll be more interesting. I'm not crazy about the CZ safety. Retrofitting the CZ to a M-70 type safety would up the cost on that one. It would take some work to make a new CZ as slick as this FN.

DF
Posted By: kutenay Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
I did one on the aame action a few years ago, but, sold it before it was stocked as I needed to pay for another Brno 22H I bought from a certain "patbrennan" guy.... smile ... and had/have four other 9.3s with a minty ZG-47 action ready for my final one.

All yours needs is a Lilja No 3 tube at 22", Recknagel irons and Alaska Arms rings, a Micky and perhaps Ceracoting. You should come in at about 8,5 scoped with a Leupy and a 4x is plenty for sub-moa performance with this fine, fine round.

My current factory Brno ZG-74 in 9.3-62 wears a MKX style Micky Edge, Talleys, Zeiss 4x Conquest and shoots like a target rifle with both 286 NPs and Horn.sps into sub-moa consistently. I use Mule Deer's load of Ramshot Big Game-65 grs-CCI-250s, Lapua brass and this is among my 3-2 faves of my current 34 highend bolt big game rifles.....damed good where big bears live as I do in BC.
Posted By: Jn316 Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
send a PM to MALM here on this forum
Originally Posted by kutenay
I did one on the aame action a few years ago, but, sold it before it was stocked as I needed to pay for another Brno 22H I bought from a certain "patbrennan" guy.... smile ... and had/have four other 9.3s with a minty ZG-47 action ready for my final one.

All yours needs is a Lilja No 3 tube at 22", Recknagel irons and Alaska Arms rings, a Micky and perhaps Ceracoting. You should come in at about 8,5 scoped with a Leupy and a 4x is plenty for sub-moa performance with this fine, fine round.

My current factory Brno ZG-74 in 9.3-62 wears a MKX style Micky Edge, Talleys, Zeiss 4x Conquest and shoots like a target rifle with both 286 NPs and Horn.sps into sub-moa consistently. I use Mule Deer's load of Ramshot Big Game-65 grs-CCI-250s, Lapua brass and this is among my 3-2 faves of my current 34 highend bolt big game rifles.....damed good where big bears live as I do in BC.

Your thinking is pretty close to where I am, right down to the McM stock, #3, 22" bbl, Cerakote and the NPT load. I was leaning more toward std. fill with the McM and trying less expensive brass, like Hornady, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

DF
Posted By: 22WRF Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
I would like to find out who did that beautiful and masterful welding and finishing job on that new bolt handle.
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I would like to find out who did that beautiful and masterful welding and finishing job on that new bolt handle.

Me, too.

Probably the same guy who fitted the M-70 type safety.

Maybe someone on the Fire will recognize the work and let us know.

DF
Posted By: 22WRF Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
looks like a Blackburn Trigger as well. Very nice.
Here is a photo of the barrel end of the action, showing two cuts for the raceways. The older "C" receivers had only the extractor cut, thus the designation. Reportedly the "C" configuration gave better hot gas control but was harder to machine. From what I've read, the current configuration came to be after the war, somewhere in the late 40's or early 50's.

Would appreciate additional info on this.

DF

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 22WRF
looks like a Blackburn Trigger as well. Very nice.

Canjar
Posted By: 93x62toter Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
Give Dennis Erhardt at Frontier Gun Shop in Helena MT. a call at 406-442-4533. He has been building 9.3x62s for over 20 years that I can remember. He styles them after british sporting rifles.
Posted By: kutenay Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/15/12
The FNs began to be broached on both sides in 1948-49, IIRC and this is a step backward in building a Mauser 98 pattern action. It is why I much prefer the old 1937 Oberndorf Sporter in 9.3 that I have, my ZG-47 and the CZ-550 currently being built for me as these are have the full "C-ring" as Paul von Mauser designed this finest of all big rifle actions.

I do have and have had several rifles, i.e.m Browning Safaris, Henri Dumoulin and so forth on the "H-ring" and they are at least as good as any American sporting rifle now made, except Champlins. So, load sanely and worry not!

I prefer the Edge in the Mickys as it is strong enough when fully bedded for the 9.3 and my ZG so equipped is just an absolute GEM of a rifle...but, it cost me 5Gs, all in and I will never get that out of it....so, for an extra half-pound, you do save a bit using the std. fill stocks.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/16/12
Does your action have the serial # on the reciever?
Do you know the approx date of manufacture?

I have an FN action with no serial above wood line.
That makes it pre 68

Trying to get an idea of its age.
Thanks
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/16/12

I do have and have had several rifles, i.e.m Browning Safaris, Henri Dumoulin and so forth on the "H-ring" and they are at least as good as any American sporting rifle now made, except Champlins. So, load sanely and worry not!

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Champlin made by Lenard Brownell. Mr. Brownell fit the barrel and front sight band, made the quarter rib, the Tally type rings and a really nice French Walnut stock with Fleu-de-Lis checkering and skeleton grip cap and butt plate.

How is the Champlin set up for gas control?

DF
Couple of photos of the Brownell Champlin 7RM.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Does your action have the serial # on the reciever?
Do you know the approx date of manufacture?

I have an FN action with no serial above wood line.
That makes it pre 68

Trying to get an idea of its age.
Thanks

I don't have it yet. Will report that info when I have the action in my hands.

DF
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/16/12
Pick up my commercial FN mauser from Charley Santoni on monday. Charley Cerakoted it and bedded it in a Micky. The project started off as a JC Higgins in 270. J Kobe rebarreled it in 9.3X62 with a Shilen #3 at 24 inches also did a side swing safety and installed a Timney trigger. I will post photos of it sans scope and bases unless I find time to mount them.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/20/12
http://by164w.bay164.mail.live.com/...p;attdepth=0&attindex=0&CP=20127

Here's photo #1
FN mauser 9.3 x 62 J Kobe side swing safety and Shilen # 3 at 24 inches with a timney trigger. Cerakoted by Charley Santoni. 7 lbs 9 ozs sans scope. Just picked it from Charley around noon today. Quite pleased with it, will wring it out at the range next monday.

Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 03/20/12
http://by164w.bay164.mail.live.com/...p;attdepth=1&attindex=1&CP=20127

Oh yes, Mcmillan Mark X standard fill Olive drab.
Posted By: esto Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/02/12
My rifle,9.3x62mm FN mauser 1954 model ,I want to buy picatiny rail ,which model ,can you help me .thank you.
Posted By: mausershooter Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/03/12
http://www.satterleearms.com/

Your rifle will be over 9 pounds with a scope. Unless your going for the 20 inch barrel?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/03/12
Here are some follow up links on the Mauser 98 action I started this thread with.

DF

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6640054/3

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6534162/1
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/10/12
Here's the latest rendition of the Mauser 9.3x62, wearing a VX-6 1-6x24 in Talley QD's.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FOsteology Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/10/12
DF,

What does it weigh all-up (including ammo)? Does it hold four or five down? Did you go with an Edge for regular fill on your McMillan?
With that VX-6, it comes in at 8# 13 oz. That's a bit over my 8# 8 oz goal weight. With the 1.5-5x20 VX-3, it's about on target.

This stock is a B&C Medalist. I went with it because Brownells has them in stock and I didn't have to wait 6-8 months for a McM.

If I ever outfit it with NECG sights, it'll need a lower comb, something like a McM Express with no front swing swivel stud.

I've very pleased with this FN 98 Mauser, Canjar trigger, Oberndorf 3 panel handle and swing type safety. The trigger is a very consistent, clean breaking 3#, excellent as Canjar is known to be.

I think the VX-6 is worth a bit of extra weight. The gun balances nicely and handles like a lighter gun. I'm getting ready to sight it in and work up some loads.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's the latest rendition of the Mauser 9.3x62, wearing a VX-6 1-6x24 in Talley QD's.

DF

[Linked Image]

The scope looks slightly cocked up in the picture, front higher than back, scope NOT parallel with bolt and action. I never noticed that before looking at this photo.

I think I got the .278" tall rear base, the one for the small ring Mauser. The correct one for the large ring Mauser is .340" high. The front bases are all the same, .175" high.

So, I'll have to send these bases back to Talley and get the right ones.

Gotta get all that right before sighting in and shooting.

Ammo is loaded and ready.

DF
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/11/12

DF

[Linked Image]

Sweet geezus....You really didn't have to show us that!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/11/12
With that VX-6, it comes in at 8# 13 oz. That's a bit over my 8# 8 oz goal weight. With the 1.5-5x20 VX-3, it's about on target.

This stock is a B&C Medalist. I went with it because Brownells has them in stock and I didn't have to wait 6-8 months for a McM.

If I ever outfit it with NECG sights, it'll need a lower comb, something like a McM Express with no front swing swivel stud.

I've very pleased with this FN 98 Mauser, Canjar trigger, Oberndorf 3 panel handle and swing type safety. The trigger is a very consistent, clean breaking 3#, excellent as Canjar is known to be.

I think the VX-6 is worth a bit of extra weight. The gun balances nicely and handles like a lighter gun. I'm getting ready to sight it in and work up some loads.

DF

Let us know what she likes for loads...Did you get any of those nosler partitons that were on sale the other day at shooters pro shop??? I had to buy 5 boxes of them.....Great deal..Good luck with your load workup....Remember to let us know what she likes..
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/11/12
I'm embarrassed. The "cocked up" scope is due to the front ring not being fully engaged in the base. My bad... frown

I measured the rear base and it's .340" high as it should be.

I had to send the low Talley QD's back to Brownells for a med set. That straight, Oberndorf style bolt handle requires more scope clearance than a conventional bolt handle.

One of these day's I'll get it all put together and go shoot some groups.

DF
Posted By: sincitynut Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/23/12
Mike McCabe in Colorado is doing a 9.3x62 Mauser for me right now! I am taking it to Africa in Sept. He has done 2 other Mauser rifles for me and he does excellent work.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/27/12
Great action ,great cartridge. Just keep the styling American or European classic. Don't go too heavy or too high with the scope magnefication. Using a Texas gunsmith with our, German, Bohemian, Czech traditon would be a nice touch; you should have a great not just good hunting rifle.
Posted By: GF1 Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/28/12

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Champlin made by Lenard Brownell. Mr. Brownell fit the barrel and front sight band, made the quarter rib, the Tally type rings and a really nice French Walnut stock with Fleu-de-Lis checkering and skeleton grip cap and butt plate.

How is the Champlin set up for gas control?

DF

Van Zwoll's notes about it here (he says gas handling is about the only shortcoming the action has):

http://books.google.com/books?id=xm...ing%20on%20Champlin%20action&f=false
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/29/12
I'm embarrassed. The "cocked up" scope is due to the front ring not being fully engaged in the base. My bad... frown

I measured the rear base and it's .340" high as it should be.

I had to send the low Talley QD's back to Brownells for a med set. That straight, Oberndorf style bolt handle requires more scope clearance than a conventional bolt handle.

One of these day's I'll get it all put together and go shoot some groups.

DF

We are waiting buddy...I shot mine just a little bit today as an ongoing saga for load development....I won't show my groups until you show yours wink
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/29/12
Oh, allright I got tired of waiting for you grin....:

What charge weight do you think I should go with?..:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I figured the 286 gr. Nosler partition should be my huckleberry (or I should say my rifles) wink...Can't wait for elk season!!!!
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/29/12
PM Jkob here on the fire
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 9.3x62 FN Mauser - 07/30/12
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
PM Jkob here on the fire

Dude, his rifle is ALREADY done!!!
© 24hourcampfire