Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just got my nine three project put together. It's on a 98 Mauser action that I bought from a Fire member, posted earlier. It's late 40's, early 50's and already had swing safety, Canjar trigger and Oberndorf type, three panel bolt handle. I had Jim Kobe fit a 22", #3 Shilen and blue (400 polish) the barreled action. I bought a B&C Medalist stock from Brownells, glassed and free floated the barreled action.

I want to get a VX-3 2.5-8x36 with post/crosshair and CDS. On hand is a 4200 Elite 3-9x40 and a VX-III 2.5-8x36. I have Talley rings and bought Talley bases. Had to send them back as I couldn't mount the Leupold like I wanted without a front extension base, which Talley doesn't (to my knowledge) offer. The Oberndorf, rather straight handle, takes more ring height to clear the scope eyepiece.

After searching the Brownell's catalog, figuring ring heights for quite a while, I decided to go with the new style Weaver rings with screws on both sides. These mounts are strong, light, and although not QDs, make on and off a breeze with no loss of zero. They're not as pretty as Talley and others, but this is a working gun, not a show piece.

Here's a photo of the gun and both scopes, lined up as they go on the gun for right eye relief. You'll see the 4200, extending back more than the Leupy. The 4200 has a 3.3" ER, the Leupy, 4.5"/3.6".

[Linked Image]

I like McM's more than B&C's, but there is a wait and Brownell has these stocks in inventory. Here is a photo comparing an Ed Brown Damara with McM and the Mauser with B&C Medalist. Not much difference is shape, although the B&C may be a tad straighter.

[Linked Image]

Here are photos comparing my .338-284 Alpha Arms Alaskan with the Mauser and comparisons of the two rounds.

G[Linked Image]]

[Linked Image]

One's fatter, one's longer. They both demand respect and have a lot going for them.

DF

HR IC

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a better photo of the bolt handle.

BTW, I shortened the front extension base, so nothing overhangs the action opening. I re-cut the crossbar groove in the base so the rear of the front ring fits flush. With the 2.5-8x36, none of the front base is wasted.

DF

[Linked Image]

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Great looking rifle DF. Classic bolt knob looks great as do the mods on the front base; an awesome package all the way around!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Great looking rifle, good luck with it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great looking rifle and great idea with the base and ring...Let us know how she shoots......I've had my eye on a 9.3x62 also recently.......they just seem to make sense.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...good looking rifle DF, and you are right..it'll be Mo' betta with a 2.5-8 on it....

Good utility gun...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't think that rifle would be good for anything, send it this way and I'll take it off your hands!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Like that a lot! I'm gathering parts for my own 9.3. So far I have a a mark x action w/ old style BM, dakota 3 pos safety, talley bolt handle. Still need trigger, sights, bbl band, bbl & would like to do wood.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I played with the idea of sights, even had a NECG peep sight on hand to see how I liked it. The B&C Medalist has a straight comb, set up for scopes. I'd need a different style stock to incorporate iron sights. So for this project, I decided to go with a slick barrel.

The compromise is in the reticle and low powered glass for fast shooting. If I was going to hunt African DG, I'd want a bigger gun and for sure, express sights. This gun could see African plains game and for sure North American big game.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wish I could get by with a 2.5-8 on a long action--would have to seriously cut the stock to get it to work for me.

Looked at the 3x for a 9.3...maybe

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't know why they have to make those short scopes. Mounting them is generally a PITA. Makes one wish for the old 50's and 60's vintage Weaver K series. Those scopes were clear, good glass until we got spoiled with newer, high resolution scopes. At least they were easy to mount and were tough.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
short actions I guess...maybe genetics--fewer of us have the penal servitude design.

may will just put a Lupy 3-9 on my 9.3 rather than a the new 3x20--larger FOV...

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
i've got a terrible twitch to buy/build a 9.3x62. the .35 whelen is phenomenal, but the weightlifting kraut sibling is one intersting hammer for sure.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've never owned a .35 Whelen, but have read good stuff about it most of my life.

I became interested in the nine three, reading about it on the Fire and elsewhere. They're pretty close, IMHO. Just depends on which way one wants to go. Hard to go wrong, either way.

The .338-06 is a good one. I like my .338-284, which is pretty close to the '06 version. Very accurate, hits hard, just like the nine three.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Those are some fine lookin' rifles Dirtfarmer, them dang Louisiana hogs get to bothering ya to much, just holler and I'll pack up my 9.3 and be right there. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Those are some fine lookin' rifles Dirtfarmer, them dang Louisiana hogs get to bothering ya to much, just holler and I'll pack up my 9.3 and be right there. smile

Gunner

We're not yet as bad off as those Texicans, regarding hogs. We're fighting hard to keep from ending up like them.

Those guys need help... blush

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-roger........keep the pressure on 'em smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Interesting aside on the .338-284. I had an Alpha Arms std. grade in .270. I saw this gun in the Collectors Firearms listing. They'd had it a while and I convinced the dealer that he was going to have a real hard time selling a wildcat gun to anyone but a hard core gun nut/reloader like me. The Alpha Alaskan listed for a good bit more than the std. gun. The dealer agreed and we did a straight up swap. All was good until I discovered the .338 had a broken firing pin. It hadn't been fired but evidently had been snapped a bunch. Alpha went out of business years ago with no parts available. Because I liked the gun so much, I got gunmaker, James Flynn, to make a firing pin. Check him out on line, you'll be impressed.

James restores vintage, high end guns for clients all over the world and makes parts for H&H's, Purdy's, etc, so an Alpha Arms firing pin was no challenge for him. He made and properly hardened the new part, which is much better designed and made than the original. Because I grew up shooting with James, he took pity on the pricing and I came out OK.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to add that the .338-284 was an Alpha Arms option back then and this gun is factory original. It is a neat design, the stock with aluminum bedding blocks. The action screws are before and behind the mag box, with the trigger group and tang floating. The receiver is a threaded tube and the bolt is fat with three lugs recessed, machined much like the Mark V Weatherby. The part that receives the lugs (lug recess) is screwed into the receiver, followed by the barrel and is jammed in place by the barrel. I guess this made manufacture easier, but I've not seen that set up on any other rifle. Seems to work.

Nice guns. Too bad Alpha Arms ceased to exist. They were located near Dallas.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, all this 9.3 talk made me go out and buy a nice CZ 550 chambered in this great old round.....Thanks guys..... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.