Home
Thought I would try my hand at destroying reshaping a Ruger factory 10/22 carbine stock and staining it a darker, more walnut like color.

I have read that when staining birch it takes on a mottled look so does anyone have any special tips or gotchas or recommendations for stains for this? Not trying to get it really authentic walnut looking but just trying to give it a more uniform darker look than that light color that comes from the factory.

This is a one time project so I'd appreciate keeping the supplies simple, if I got a quart of this and a pint of that and a half gallon of the other, 90% would go to waste on a garage shelf.
Before staining apply a wash of very thin shellac. It will go into the areas that absorb faster than the others and slow stain take-up. It will allow a simple finish of any kind (almost any) to be applied on top. Quick, simple, and appropriate for the job.
Min-Wax makes a "pre stain" that you put on before staining.
Dosen't do bad to even out the shading.
Min-Wax pre-stain is a thinned wash of shellac at a much higher price...
Just to verify the obvious, "thinned shellac" would be thinned with mineral spirits, right? Obviously I don't do a lot of stock work or finishing of any kind so I need to ask the basic questions.
Walnut Polystain is what the factories use. Spray on until you get the color you want.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Just to verify the obvious, "thinned shellac" would be thinned with mineral spirits, right? Obviously I don't do a lot of stock work or finishing of any kind so I need to ask the basic questions.

No. Alcohol is the solvent for shellac.
Thanks - you can see why I'm asking the beginner questions. wink
© 24hourcampfire