Home
Posted By: Kimber308 Kimber Montana rust - 11/04/16
How is it possible that my 2014 stainless Kimber Montana is starting to get rust spots on the bolt handle and trigger guard? I've wiped this gun down religiously and have stored it on a ground level gun case. Could this be a manufacturing defect?? The rest of the gun is spotless of rust. Living in PA, it's not like I'm in a salt water environment
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/04/16
Most gun SS rusts. Some quicker than others.

I had my Montana cerakoted.

Cheers, Chris
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/04/16
Kimber's rust easily. PA is pretty darn humid relative to here in MT. Your report doesn't surprise me in the least. The MT rusts here too.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/06/16
Clean it up good with some Flitz polish. The advantage of stainless isn't that it won't rust,but that it cleans up easier.You still have to do the regular stuff to prevent the rust.
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/09/16
'Bolt and trigger guard'? Those are areas often touched & touched last by damp fingers. Give a good wipedown with an oily cloth before setting the gun down. If you do that already, do it again every 6 months minimum.

If that isn't enough, add more oil & do it more often.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
How do the tikka or Ruger stainless rifles compare to the Kimber in rust resistance?
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by Kimber308
I've wiped this gun down religiously and have stored it on a ground level gun case.

If you actually mean gun case and not gun safe, that's part of the problem.
Posted By: foogle Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Stainless can have some ferrous(iron) in it. Depending on the grade and what characteristics of the use are required
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Originally Posted by Kimber308
I've wiped this gun down religiously and have stored it on a ground level gun case.

If you actually mean gun case and not gun safe, that's part of the problem.

X2
Never store one in a case. They need room to breathe.
Posted By: Kimber308 Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
No, this gun has been stored in a gun cabinet w a desiccant. It has been wiped down meticulously after every contact. Still it shows some signs of rust; only on bolt handle & trigger guard.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Hmmm, mine are in a safe with dessicant, no rust at all and I'm honestly not great about wiping down my SS rifles. And I'm on the gulf coast - not close enough for salt issues, but plenty of humidity.
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Did you ever use any steel wool to clean the parts? Regular iron steel wool will leave enough trace iron on the stainless to make it appear that the stainless is rusting. I'm fairly sure other methods of transferring the small amounts of rustable material to the stainless work about as good as steel wool. Also it is called stainless not stain proof. I will say that the humidity here in South Georgia runs high and I have had no problems with my stainless Kimber.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How do the tikka or Ruger stainless rifles compare to the Kimber in rust resistance?

I coated my SS M70 with Dyna-Tek Gun Shield prior to my brown bear hunt in SE Alaska this past spring. It saw loads of rain and two full dunks in the sea. I did not clean/wipe the rifle for the 12 days I hunted. The coating worked incredibly well. That said, I had rust in every small place I missed coating like the trigger, back side of the floor plate, scope ring screws, etc.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
I have seen every kind of stainless steel rust , have never seen 410 stainless steel ever rust in lower 48.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I coated my SS M70 with Dyna-Tek Gun Shield prior to my brown bear hunt in SE Alaska this past spring. It saw loads of rain and two full dunks in the sea. I did not clean/wipe the rifle for the 12 days I hunted. The coating worked incredibly well. That said, I had rust in every small place I missed coating like the trigger, back side of the floor plate, scope ring screws, etc.

Thanks Ed, that's good to know...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/13/16
I can make anything rust.

Kimber Montanas rust. Eddie has a good fix for it though.
Posted By: RAN Re: Kimber Montana rust - 11/14/16
Some people's skin chemistry causes their fingerprints to mildly corrosive. There is noting to be done about it except being aware and taking pains to wipe down metal surfaces after handling.

RAN
© 24hourcampfire