-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
How is it possible that my 2014 stainless Kimber Montana is starting to get rust spots on the bolt handle and trigger guard? I've wiped this gun down religiously and have stored it on a ground level gun case. Could this be a manufacturing defect?? The rest of the gun is spotless of rust. Living in PA, it's not like I'm in a salt water environment

Last edited by Kimber308; 11/04/16.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Most gun SS rusts. Some quicker than others.

I had my Montana cerakoted.

Cheers, Chris

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kimber's rust easily. PA is pretty darn humid relative to here in MT. Your report doesn't surprise me in the least. The MT rusts here too.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Clean it up good with some Flitz polish. The advantage of stainless isn't that it won't rust,but that it cleans up easier.You still have to do the regular stuff to prevent the rust.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'Bolt and trigger guard'? Those are areas often touched & touched last by damp fingers. Give a good wipedown with an oily cloth before setting the gun down. If you do that already, do it again every 6 months minimum.

If that isn't enough, add more oil & do it more often.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How do the tikka or Ruger stainless rifles compare to the Kimber in rust resistance?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kimber308
I've wiped this gun down religiously and have stored it on a ground level gun case.

If you actually mean gun case and not gun safe, that's part of the problem.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Stainless can have some ferrous(iron) in it. Depending on the grade and what characteristics of the use are required

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Originally Posted by Kimber308
I've wiped this gun down religiously and have stored it on a ground level gun case.

If you actually mean gun case and not gun safe, that's part of the problem.

X2
Never store one in a case. They need room to breathe.

K
OP Offline
K
No, this gun has been stored in a gun cabinet w a desiccant. It has been wiped down meticulously after every contact. Still it shows some signs of rust; only on bolt handle & trigger guard.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hmmm, mine are in a safe with dessicant, no rust at all and I'm honestly not great about wiping down my SS rifles. And I'm on the gulf coast - not close enough for salt issues, but plenty of humidity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you ever use any steel wool to clean the parts? Regular iron steel wool will leave enough trace iron on the stainless to make it appear that the stainless is rusting. I'm fairly sure other methods of transferring the small amounts of rustable material to the stainless work about as good as steel wool. Also it is called stainless not stain proof. I will say that the humidity here in South Georgia runs high and I have had no problems with my stainless Kimber.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How do the tikka or Ruger stainless rifles compare to the Kimber in rust resistance?

I coated my SS M70 with Dyna-Tek Gun Shield prior to my brown bear hunt in SE Alaska this past spring. It saw loads of rain and two full dunks in the sea. I did not clean/wipe the rifle for the 12 days I hunted. The coating worked incredibly well. That said, I had rust in every small place I missed coating like the trigger, back side of the floor plate, scope ring screws, etc.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have seen every kind of stainless steel rust , have never seen 410 stainless steel ever rust in lower 48.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I coated my SS M70 with Dyna-Tek Gun Shield prior to my brown bear hunt in SE Alaska this past spring. It saw loads of rain and two full dunks in the sea. I did not clean/wipe the rifle for the 12 days I hunted. The coating worked incredibly well. That said, I had rust in every small place I missed coating like the trigger, back side of the floor plate, scope ring screws, etc.

Thanks Ed, that's good to know...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can make anything rust.

Kimber Montanas rust. Eddie has a good fix for it though.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some people's skin chemistry causes their fingerprints to mildly corrosive. There is noting to be done about it except being aware and taking pains to wipe down metal surfaces after handling.

RAN

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (AB2506, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 8 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,895
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.