Home
Posted By: hmt Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/11/08
Since we have discussed this in so many threads with various posters input, I thought maybe a "wish list" thread would help MR from having to sort through all of the past posts on this subject.

So ... my MR wish list ...

** Hunter Version Overkill NICE Frame - Taller for effective load lifter placement whether using the frame alone, load sling or with a pack bag; and would eliminate the need for heavy subframes on the pack bags

** Hunter Version NICE Crew Cab - Designed to fit the taller frame; plus probably would get about 20% more capacity??? confused

** Hunter NICE 5000 PACK - 5000 ci; tall, slim pack profile. (would be used for shorter elk and deer hunts and scouting)

** Hunter NICE 7500 Pack - 7500 ci; (would be used for dream hunts; moose, bear, etc and very long trips)

Lighter weight materials - I know this is a tough one when balancing indestructible and low weight.

Other things I would be OK with if they were left off to conserve weight:

- top lid backpack straps
- half as much MOLLE webbing
- ???

I know much of this deviates from the interoperability of the regular NICE line and the extra business expense of bringing out a more specialized product, but I can still hope right? grin
Posted By: redmtn Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/11/08
The one advantage the Kifaru hauler has over the Nice is the longer frame and more effective load lifter straps , although i prefer the harness set up better on the MR.
Posted By: deputynrc Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/11/08
I have been looking at purchasing a MR pack. I can't decide between the CC or the NICE 6500. This would not be a problem if they had a NICE 5000. That would be just right.

I also purchased a Bullpac last year and love it. I was wondering if I could strap a MR (minus the frame) to my Bullpac? Any one with Bullpacs out there tried this? Either way, I am going to get an MR!!!!
Posted By: goph707 Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/12/08
They had a NICE 5000 then it vanished i was going to buy one then they were gone all of the sudden and off there website
Posted By: Rackmastr Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/12/08
I think my Cerberus is around the same size as the NICE 5000......and its a perfect size for everyday hunting and extended trips.....
I have a nice 5500 IIRC. I like it much fine. and my top pack DOES have back pack straps.
Posted By: hmt Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/18/08
Well ... with this type of turnout, I'm sure to get my wish list ... grin
Posted By: Huntr Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/18/08
Taller Hunter vesrsion of the Nice crew cab would be perfect IMHO!! Put me in for one!
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 11/18/08
I love mine the way it is smile
Posted By: hmt Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/05/08
MR ... there are still 19 shopping days left before Xmas to come out with a new, longer NICE frame ... how bout it? grin
Posted By: Tx Trapper Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/05/08
MR ... there are still 19 shopping days left before Xmas to come out with a new, longer NICE frame ... how bout it?
Just enough to let the loadlifters do their thing. cool smile grin crazy laugh cry wink whistle
HMT and Tx Trapper~

I'd love to see some photos of the loads you guys are carrying..... the "load lifter" doesn't actually lift the load.... I've read posts where people say they work better on the 6500 than the Crew Cab..... this is true. But it should be noted the load lifters are designed to bring the load closer to your center to balance the weight between your waist and shoulders..... not to lift the load.

We're planning on developing something of this nature...... specifically to meet the needs of Alaskan Hunters...... but you'll have to be a little more patient!!!!

I've carried two elk hind quarters at once, entire boned out mule deer, and entire full body antelope.... my Crew Cab functioned perfectly with these loads.... I need to see the loads you're carrying and hear your ideas on an extended frame in order to produce something....

But I'm open to it. Let the designing begin!!!

Photos Gentlemen.... Photos.

My MR wish list:
-Crew Cab in urban camo
-Cell phone pocket on the hip belt so I can text my friends while I hunt
-Integral bear bells installed on all models

Kidding of course...I have a lot of respect for an outdoor company that sticks with what it does best and doesn't compromise quality or values.
Posted By: Tx Trapper Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/06/08

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post2100256

Mark, Here is the post of my problem. I agree the loadlifters are not to lift the load persay but along w/ pulling it into the body, to also lift the weight off the shoulders. That being why they would need to be above the shoulders. I honestly think this is accurring mostly in the longer torso people like me.I am in no way bashing the pack as I think it is well suited for the purpose that we use it for. BUT as the thread says it just became a burden after a while w/ a load. When I extended the frame and made the LL do their job it was fine . I did chat w/ you in length if you remember and also sent these pics for you to look at. --Allen-- smile
Posted By: Tx Trapper Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/06/08
O.K. My wish list;
The NICE frame could stay the same as is now but have the capability of having two aluminum stays that could slide into their own snug pocket that would be removable and would stickup above the top of the exsisting frame maybe 6"-10" that you could attach the loadlifters to when hauling a load, and when not would be able to pull out stays and stuff in pocket and have the crewcab w/ a small profile for daypack mode. I think this could be a simple add-on for the co. that make the packs. --Allen--
Guys~

I think I'll try to get Dana himself to answer some of these "Load Lifter" specific questions..... I think he'll have a lot to share from the design side of things...

Allen.... good to touch base again... it's tough with everyone using screen names to know exactly who you're talking with!!! I definitely remember our conversations.

How'd your season go?
Posted By: hmt Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/06/08
MR,

I will second Tx's comments ... and probably add 100 words of drivel that are technically incorrect ... grin

Having a longer torso (~20.5") and round chest (54"), the load lifters on the frame+6500 are much, much more effective for me than with the frame itself. I agree "lift" isn't probably the correct term. Maybe tension distributors??? crazy

I'm no engineer, but I liken it to a suspension bridge distributing weight ...

The load lifters placed at an upward angle (6500) better distributes the pressure on the shoulders (for me) to the entire arc of the straps around the shoulder circumference instead of a single pressure point with the lower load lifters of the frame by itself. ... this provides great stabilization and enables me to adjust even more weight to the belt.
Oh ... one more thing ...

Patient??? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ... shocked

I'm just trying to stimulate the economy! grin

Can we have it before next hunting season? whistle
HMT~

It's good to hear you're doing your part to boost the national economy!!!

I'll have a discussion with Dana and see what we can do. If we do decide to make something like this I'll promise you one thing...... we won't rush it. We'll make sure to get it right.... and I can't make any promises, but I do understand the need.

Thanks for your sharing your info and giving us the challenge.

MR,

Thanks for taking the forums feedback. Its great when companies listen to their customers; even when it doesn't make business sense in the end and we dont always get what we want, it's still nice to know your listening.

PS - a very, very simple frame add-on 3000 ci pack would be cool too ... for summer scouting trips ...

Posted By: UKdave Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/06/08
Does anybody have any experiance with the CBMR Manticore?.
I am really liking this pack, but is the weight correct on the website? it says somthing over 3lb but the nice frame weights more than that i think then you have the pack.

I will have to wait till the exchange rate picks up a little before i drop the cash but the piccs will do till then.
Dave
UK Dave~

Manitcore and Frame weigh 7 pounds 5 oz.....

Posted By: UKdave Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/07/08
Jeepers,does seem a little heavy,having never seen one and never heard of anybody over here having one this is somthing I am going to think about for a while.
Posted By: DJR Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/07/08
Hunting in Montana this year I could have used some kind of pull out blaze orange panel for my coyote colored pack. That thing sure is elky colored when you're hunting the thick stuff in an either sex elk unit.

[Linked Image]

There is probably something specific on the MR web site but I think my wife has blocked that site on this computer. frown

DJR

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/07/08
Does snow get in your barrel? smile
Posted By: Bitt Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/07/08
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Does snow get in your barrel? smile

That's what I first thought too. Upon a closer look - its hangin' from the sling off a limb.
DJR~

We have been building our daypack lid in Blaze Orange..... it's a really nice feature when you're hunting with a rifle..... you can keep the daypack lid tucked behind the back panel of the crew cab and then pull it out when you want the orange exposed.

Lots of guys buy two daypack lids.... one to match their pack and another in blaze for this very reason.

We also offer the Crew Cab in Blaze Orange.... it's a little intense at first, but after the first trip, it starts getting a little easier to handle. I have one that I've been using for a couple years and it's just starting to break in nicely!

Hopefully this helps.
Someday I should publish some of the funnier conversations and situations we've had with peoples wives.......

All I can say is if it's necessary that you must do so....... please ask permission from your wives guys... because otherwise I end up talking with your wife on the phone explaining to her why a Crew Cab will make you a better hunter and husband!

Posted By: Oak Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/07/08
I'd like to see something made for hauling shed antlers, specifically elk antlers. I spoke to someone from MR at the Western Hunting Expo in Salt Lake last year about this (can't remember the name). I'd like to carry elk antlers vertically on my CrewCab. Not long after the hunting expo, this photo from MR turned up:

[Linked Image]

That's pretty cool, but it would be impossible to carry through some of the brushy areas I shed hunt.

Here's a picture of a day of shed hunting with a buddy. You can see my CrewCab loaded with some smaller sheds, but the big ones stick up too high when loaded that way. I need them to be able to hang lower than the crewcab allows, but still be supported. Buddy's pack is a (4000ci?) Nice bag, with antlers just strapped on the outside:

[Linked Image]

If MR is going to be at the Expo again this year, maybe I'll bring my CrewCab and let you show me how to make it work.
Oak~

Odds are pretty good you talked to me at the FNAWS show last winter. The photo of the sheds was taken by Patrick in our office. I had a good friend of mine drop by a load of sheds he'd picked in order to better demonstrate carrying them. I loaded up 16 sheds in all.... 130 pounds into the Crew Cab. I can see how it would be difficult to carry this many sheds through bushy country.... but talk about a problem to have!!!

We'll definitely be at the Expo again this year. We'll have plenty of Crew Cabs on hand to show you some techniques, but feel free to bring yours if you want. I know we've already got a few guys bringing all of their gear in to do some packing clinics.

Can't wait to see you there, it's one of my favorite shows of the year!!!

My wish is only to have the Mystery Ranch booth in Salt Lake be plenty stocked up on hops:)

And don't worry about Oak. That was his last Yellowstone trip and he got scared, won;t go back. Spike elk horns fit fine in the current Crew Cab:)
Posted By: Oak Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/08/08
dink, don't tell all of my secrets.....I was just stopping by for the suds, too. wink
New Mystery Ranch Packs

Oak~ Here's a bunch of packs you could strap some sheds to vertically..... including some new quiet fabric packs...

Top Left: Multicam Big Sky
Top Right: NICE Frame Prototype in Multicam
Bottom Left: Quiet Big Sky
Bottom Right: Quiet Super Sweet

and don't worry gentlemen, we'll be even more prepared for this years event than last years.... so plan on stopping by to say hello!

Mark, I'm pretty sure it was you that I spoke with last year. I do like the looks of those new packs, especially the protype NICE bag. I'd prefer to stick to the NICE system. Problem is, when I bought my CrewCab and NICE 6500 bags, I think I said something to my wife about "the last packs I'd ever need," or something like that. Way too early in the game to pull that line out, but I was desperate. wink

I'll be sure to stop in this year. If you need someone to field test one of those Multicam bags, I might know someone. wink

Some MR action shots. Unfortunately, it rains in AK, so often the pack is covered up:

Kodiak Sitka blacktail hunt

[Linked Image]

AK Dall sheep hunt:

[Linked Image]

AK mountain goat hunt:

[Linked Image]

CO elk hunt:

[Linked Image]

Shed hunting:

[Linked Image]
Oak~

From the looks of all these pictures you can't have a job!!! Always in the field eh? That's a rough problem to have!!!

You'll just have to increase the amount of trips you go on...... especially if you get one of these new packs.....

Keep sending the photos..... awesome!

Of course I have a job. But I use the packs for work, too.

Here's the CrewCab at work. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/08/08
Thats a bad arse pic!!
Oak~

I have a job too..... luckily I HAVE to test our products in the field!!!

Keep those photos coming guys!!!

Posted By: Oak Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/09/08
Glassing deer on Kodiak:

[Linked Image]

Sheep hunting:

[Linked Image]

Deer hunting in CO:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DJR Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/09/08
Originally Posted by MysteryRanch
We have been building our daypack lid in Blaze Orange..... it's a really nice feature when you're hunting with a rifle..... you can keep the daypack lid tucked behind the back panel of the crew cab and then pull it out when you want the orange exposed.

That's probably the perfect solution for me. After the Christmas season I'll look at the lids. Thanks for the tip.

DJR
Posted By: UKdave Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/09/08
OAK, cool pics man.
I question about the "mountain goat" pic,are those studs on the soles of your boots?
Dave
Posted By: Oak Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/09/08
UKdave, yes the boots are caulked, or "corked" as they call them. A necessity on that hunt if you didn't want to go sliding 500 feet down the mountain.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UKdave Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 12/09/08
Definatly NOT urban boots you have their!.If i wore them over here i`d get arrested!! more pics of the "countryside" would be grately appreciated.
Dave
The left computer screen in that last picture is disturbing.

Mystery Ranch-
I'm not one for phone calls, and since this thread kinda seems to be all over the place, about anything MR, I was hoping you could take a minute and explain something to me.
I'm in the process of trying out an old Dana Design Terraframe, I've always wondered if I was missing something with the load transferring ability of an external frame, but until I got this
DD TF, I was about a second away from getting a new MR pack. I was considering either the G7000 or Kodiak. I see the G7000 is rated to carry up to 80lbs, my question is, if the only time I carry over 80lbs is to pack meat, do I really need the Kodiak? Would the Kodiak carry 60lbs better than the G7000? What is it that makes the Kodiak carry a heavier load, a stiffer frame?
I'd appreciate any feed back, as I could very well be ordering one of these packs. Thanks for your time........
No Where Bound~

Here's a little tech speak from our website as an appetizer......

The Overkill Guide Frame (used on the Kodiak) combines the added stability of the Overkill Yoke and the comfort and weight transferring ability of the Five Segmented Lumbar Wrap with the absolute best internal framing. Handling loads upwards of 120 pounds.

The Guide Frame (used on the G-7000) combines the flex and low profile of the Futura Yoke with our patented Cush Lumbar Wrap for the perfect combo of serious load support and moderate flex ideal for 50 to 80 pound loads.

You've reached a decision that will ultimately come down to personal preference. The G7000 and Kodiak are both 7000 cubic inch packs but the Kodiak has a much beefier frame system (Our Overkill Guide Frame) and these packs were originally designed for the Navy Seal team based on Kodiak Island, Alaska. The Kodiak weighs 9 pounds 1 oz.

The G-7000 has our Guide Framing System. I usually try to steer hunters (due to the heavy loads associated with a successful hunt) to the Overkill Guide Frame. The G7 weighs 8 pounds 4 oz.

Would the Kodiak carry 60lbs better than the G7000?

Not necessarily... at 60 pounds both will be almost identical. I have a friend who outfits in Alaska and he personally carries a Kodiak. He had a client this year who showed up with a G7 and they split the load associated with a successful backpack hunt...... identical weights... and then they passed the packs back and forth to gauge the difference..... the answer... my friend said he couldn't notice the difference! The loads were around 95 pounds.

I really believe you're looking at identical performance between these two packs until you get above 80 pounds. Even then, most folks wouldn't be able to feel the difference until you reached a load above 120 pounds.

I hope this helps in your decision. Both are unbelievable and the choice really comes down to color preference......

Good luck!
MR-
Appreciate the input.
I always figured the MR packs were rated conservatively, I'm sure I've pushed lesser packs over 80lbs. I have a feeling I wont be able to see much of a difference between the two packs. I've had my eyes on the G7 because I like the weight savings, and the color better, but I wanted to make sure I wasnt making a bad decision.
So, thanks again........
Posted By: hmt Re: Mystery Ranch Wish List - 02/18/09
MR - Any feedback yet on possible pack additions?
© 24hourcampfire