Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
OAK, cool pics man.
I question about the "mountain goat" pic,are those studs on the soles of your boots?
Dave

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

GB1

O
Oak Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
UKdave, yes the boots are caulked, or "corked" as they call them. A necessity on that hunt if you didn't want to go sliding 500 feet down the mountain.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Definatly NOT urban boots you have their!.If i wore them over here i`d get arrested!! more pics of the "countryside" would be grately appreciated.
Dave

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The left computer screen in that last picture is disturbing.

Last edited by dinkshooter; 12/09/08.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Mystery Ranch-
I'm not one for phone calls, and since this thread kinda seems to be all over the place, about anything MR, I was hoping you could take a minute and explain something to me.
I'm in the process of trying out an old Dana Design Terraframe, I've always wondered if I was missing something with the load transferring ability of an external frame, but until I got this
DD TF, I was about a second away from getting a new MR pack. I was considering either the G7000 or Kodiak. I see the G7000 is rated to carry up to 80lbs, my question is, if the only time I carry over 80lbs is to pack meat, do I really need the Kodiak? Would the Kodiak carry 60lbs better than the G7000? What is it that makes the Kodiak carry a heavier load, a stiffer frame?
I'd appreciate any feed back, as I could very well be ordering one of these packs. Thanks for your time........

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
No Where Bound~

Here's a little tech speak from our website as an appetizer......

The Overkill Guide Frame (used on the Kodiak) combines the added stability of the Overkill Yoke and the comfort and weight transferring ability of the Five Segmented Lumbar Wrap with the absolute best internal framing. Handling loads upwards of 120 pounds.

The Guide Frame (used on the G-7000) combines the flex and low profile of the Futura Yoke with our patented Cush Lumbar Wrap for the perfect combo of serious load support and moderate flex ideal for 50 to 80 pound loads.

You've reached a decision that will ultimately come down to personal preference. The G7000 and Kodiak are both 7000 cubic inch packs but the Kodiak has a much beefier frame system (Our Overkill Guide Frame) and these packs were originally designed for the Navy Seal team based on Kodiak Island, Alaska. The Kodiak weighs 9 pounds 1 oz.

The G-7000 has our Guide Framing System. I usually try to steer hunters (due to the heavy loads associated with a successful hunt) to the Overkill Guide Frame. The G7 weighs 8 pounds 4 oz.

Would the Kodiak carry 60lbs better than the G7000?

Not necessarily... at 60 pounds both will be almost identical. I have a friend who outfits in Alaska and he personally carries a Kodiak. He had a client this year who showed up with a G7 and they split the load associated with a successful backpack hunt...... identical weights... and then they passed the packs back and forth to gauge the difference..... the answer... my friend said he couldn't notice the difference! The loads were around 95 pounds.

I really believe you're looking at identical performance between these two packs until you get above 80 pounds. Even then, most folks wouldn't be able to feel the difference until you reached a load above 120 pounds.

I hope this helps in your decision. Both are unbelievable and the choice really comes down to color preference......

Good luck!

Mystery Ranch Backpacks
Bozeman Montana USA
www.mysteryranch.com
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
MR-
Appreciate the input.
I always figured the MR packs were rated conservatively, I'm sure I've pushed lesser packs over 80lbs. I have a feeling I wont be able to see much of a difference between the two packs. I've had my eyes on the G7 because I like the weight savings, and the color better, but I wanted to make sure I wasnt making a bad decision.
So, thanks again........

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
MR - Any feedback yet on possible pack additions?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,921
Posts18,479,766
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.