Home
So now we have the tent figured out...

if you were to pick one pack from 4500-6000 cu in...

which one would it be?

Mystery Ranch? Kifaru? BadLands? Eberlestock?

Mystery Ranch, without a doubt.
Mystery Ranch; in that size range let's say a Grizzly.
Circa 2003 Osprey Crescent 75, 90 or 110.

I use a Crescent 60 and 90 currently.
Kifaru. E
Mystery Ranch Nice 6500. But thats like two packs I guess smile
Kifaru Long Hunter
As I haven't driven an MR, I have to go with a Kifaru Guide. Love my G1 and would be thrilled with a new G2. Great all around pack. Lots of capacity and load hauling for the weight (of the pack). I can't always pack as small as Ed T, hence the preference for the Guide over the standard LH. It's over 6,000 ci but I can't tell any difference carrying it from the smaller LH.
Kifaru Siwash for me. I do not like packs above my shoulders or it would be the LH.
Kifaru Navigator. Only 4000, but PALS webbing on pack and modular pockets make it easy to bump up the size. I like their military line for the PALS webbing and tougher material. I use a Pointman and have never carried a better pack.

Concur with hunting1 on the pack above the shoulders. Posted a test pic in the photo section of my Pointman with a boned out whitetail in it. Great pack.
Originally Posted by hunting1
Kifaru Siwash for me. I do not like packs above my shoulders or it would be the LH.

+1
I had a Kifaru, sold it to buy a MR Dragon Slayer and love it. I'd recommend MR. But if money is an issue, check out the Kelty Red Cloud 5600. I picked one of these up a few years ago. For the money it has a lot of nice features.
Floating top lid converts into a fanny pack
Extendable snow collar
Separate/removable sleeping back pocket
Lot of outside pockets
MR Nice frame with drybags to be completely modular, light at around 5.5 lbs and pack meat when encountered.

Well that's what I do now.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
MR Nice frame with drybags to be completely modular, light at around 5.5 lbs and pack meat when encountered.

Kent

Kent,

What kind of dry bags do you like and how are you attaching them?

I went with the Eberlestock J107. Very easy to adjust pack to meet situation from day trips to large bulky loads. Scabbard is great when traversing steep slopes or times when you need your hands free. Has been fantastic, would do it again.
Chris,

I actually have the G2 Long Hunter Rendezvous. I had a G1 Guide and decided to go bigger. Just have to remember to not fill it with gear smile
Originally Posted by norcalblacktail
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

What kind of dry bags do you like and how are you attaching them?

I should explain what I am trying to do and why I decided on the MR frame.

I have internal packs, Gregory for conventional backpacking and I liked the idea of the Eberlestock for hunting. Still, when packing meat out I've never liked putting it inside, just how I felt.

I liked all the buckle attachments on the nice frame, the size and how it stays below my shoulders for ease of moving through thick manzanita and scrub oak. Even though I've never sewn before I figured it may not be pretty but I could make some harnesses and modifications to some bags to be modular.

I found webbing and buckles at DIY tactical site and made straps, a meat sling and webbing harness.

For bags I used a Eberle spike duffle, it weighs ozs and has a zipper and holds my entire camp. I picked up a cheap drybag from sportsman that is about the size of a pillow case and it holds my optics and hunting stuff. I use the meat sling to hold them on, works great. I use small drybags for personal items, cloths and food inside the main bags

For scouting trips I've modified a Eberle X1 to be a pack bag on the frame.

Depending on the trip I can add or remove bags.

I definitely can haul meat easiest with this setup.

[Linked Image]

Everything in the setup

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've hauled mulitiple elk, deer and a lion, yet never thought to take a picture of that, I will on the next one.

Kent

Whatever works for you. No one guy is shaped like the next. Kifaru is a tall skinny load with good suspension, MR crewcab is a squatty load with no "lifter" straps on your shoulders (which might be fine, for you), bigger MR NICE packs have lifters, MR internals are great if a bit heavy, Osprey has a deserved following and a heat-molded waist belt, the old dana externals and internals are outstanding if they fit, etc. and so on. Guys up here swear by their Barney's externals.

If I were you, I would refrain from setting your mind on one pack until you have an opportunity to put a solid meatpacking load (90-150 lbs) in as many packs as you can lay hands on and see who wins. It ain't worth pinching ounces on the trip in only to have to wear a heavy limp tortilla packing meat out.
Kifaru Longhunter Guide.
Originally Posted by Vek
Whatever works for you. No one guy is shaped like the next. Kifaru is a tall skinny load with good suspension, MR crewcab is a squatty load with no "lifter" straps on your shoulders (which might be fine, for you), bigger MR NICE packs have lifters, MR internals are great if a bit heavy, Osprey has a deserved following and a heat-molded waist belt, the old dana externals and internals are outstanding if they fit, etc. and so on. Guys up here swear by their Barney's externals.

If I were you, I would refrain from setting your mind on one pack until you have an opportunity to put a solid meatpacking load (90-150 lbs) in as many packs as you can lay hands on and see who wins. It ain't worth pinching ounces on the trip in only to have to wear a heavy limp tortilla packing meat out.

Been backpacking for going on 40 years and that was some very good advice...[Dana K-2 here]
well, i have been searching for a pack for sometime now and it was all i could do to not give into temptation and buy the MR bighorn...... i found a deal on an osprey aether 70 and have heard alot of good about that pack so the MR review will have to wait until i try out the osprey. if i have problems, it's MR next.
Nothing wrong with a quality internal backpack, actually a good choice and one many of us have made before. I usually will suggest it as a start over a Badlands or Eberle because the suspensions are better, get blood on them and they camo up soon enough.

Some good deals to be had at this time of year as the manufacturers get rid of last years colors and models. STP usually has some good deals on Gregory packs, like 1/2 off full price with a 20% coupon, sizes are limited though.

Kent
agreed... i just got the pack in the mail and i am chomping at the bit to get it loaded and head out.... pickin up sheds!! oh yeah!!! this osprey is one sweet piece of work. i have looked it over and the build quality is super. now if it just performs well i'll be stoked. check steep and cheap too... they were going for like 130.00 bucks last week.

i just built a 5 man tipi out of 1.1 oz. silnylon. it has an installed stovejack and the weight in the stuffsack is less than 2 lbs. i will be posting pics. of the whole setup, pack and all when i get back. later, wyo.
That's great! looking forward to pictures. Ospreys are good packs. Getting out is what it's all about anyway.

Kent
Either my Mystery Ranch G600 or the "go to" Barney external frame.
My G1 Kifaru Siwash is my favorite for east coast deer hunting, but if your telling me I can only have ONE pack from now on, I'll keep my Kifaru LHR...better yet, I'll order the new G2 LHR and call it good.

The LHR is bigger than I need most of the time and I'm not fond of dayhunting with the longer stays sticking up behind my head...BUT....I'll still take one as they are (to me anyways...) the do it all pack of packs. Pop off the top pouch for a fanny pack for dayhunting, pull the framesheet for hauler mode, packer' full for the trip out....the pack simply offers alot of flexibility. I like'em.
Believe it or not.... I only have one pack laugh At least that I actually USE.

CBMR NICE frame. I have both a Crew Cab bag (goes from 1900" to 5000+. Great bag for 2-3 dayers or a daypack that can buck pretty hefty loads. I never would've considered the angle on the load lifters a problem if I never heard about it on the Campfire. Recently, I added a Behemoth bag (NICE 6500 in MR trim) Now the lift strap issue is solved. Right after I got it, I loaded it up with everything I'd need for an 8 day trip. 52 Lbs, and I still have 800 inches left in there laugh

Mystery Ranch stuff isn't the lightest, but its hell for stout.
Nice frame with 6500 bag is my vote.
I have an Astralplane, NICE CrewCab, and various older packs. I also just picked up a Barney's frame.

If I had to pick just one pack for everything from summer backpacking to day hunts to pack-in hunts, it would probably be a MR G6000 or Grizzly.
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Nice frame with 6500 bag is my vote.

Okay okay.... If I had to pick one bag to hang on my NICE frame, it'd be the 6500 with a daypack lid.

Especially if I was a total newbie again. It amazes me how fast you can knock the crap out of 6500 inches. Especially if you don't have a grand in down clothing and underwear whistle
I'd also like to comment that the Kifaru G1 packs were quite good but the G2's are even better. One nice thing with a Long Hunter is you can use it with the bag attached, in hauler mode or in hauler mode with pods or dry bags. MR also offers a lot of carrying options.
Remind me to check out your Kifaru goodies when I'm in Helena next.

I think that between the two brands. Its pretty much a Ford Chevy thing... In the end, they're both really damn good domestic products, with men who drive each being rabidly positive that theirs is better than the other... Until a guy shows up at the party driving a Toyota laugh
Toyota? Why, I can't recall the last time I heard anything bad about a Toyota.

Ain't their chairman coming over to DC for a party or something next week?
If the Nice Frame had the suspension system that Kifaru has, that would be the ticket! I wish Kifaru would make a Siwash type pack frame. I hate the above the shoulders for hunting and the MR is just too short for long torso people in my opinion. If I ever wear out my LS and Siwsh I am excited to try one of those G2.
hunting1, good luck with wearing them out. I'd love to try a G2 but my G1 shows no signs of needing replacement.
© 24hourcampfire