-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
So now we have the tent figured out...

if you were to pick one pack from 4500-6000 cu in...

which one would it be?

Mystery Ranch? Kifaru? BadLands? Eberlestock?

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Mystery Ranch, without a doubt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mystery Ranch; in that size range let's say a Grizzly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Circa 2003 Osprey Crescent 75, 90 or 110.

I use a Crescent 60 and 90 currently.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Kifaru. E

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mystery Ranch Nice 6500. But thats like two packs I guess smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Kifaru Long Hunter

Ed T

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As I haven't driven an MR, I have to go with a Kifaru Guide. Love my G1 and would be thrilled with a new G2. Great all around pack. Lots of capacity and load hauling for the weight (of the pack). I can't always pack as small as Ed T, hence the preference for the Guide over the standard LH. It's over 6,000 ci but I can't tell any difference carrying it from the smaller LH.

Last edited by CCH; 02/16/10.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Kifaru Siwash for me. I do not like packs above my shoulders or it would be the LH.

Good Shooting!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Kifaru Navigator. Only 4000, but PALS webbing on pack and modular pockets make it easy to bump up the size. I like their military line for the PALS webbing and tougher material. I use a Pointman and have never carried a better pack.

Concur with hunting1 on the pack above the shoulders. Posted a test pic in the photo section of my Pointman with a boned out whitetail in it. Great pack.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hunting1
Kifaru Siwash for me. I do not like packs above my shoulders or it would be the LH.

+1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had a Kifaru, sold it to buy a MR Dragon Slayer and love it. I'd recommend MR. But if money is an issue, check out the Kelty Red Cloud 5600. I picked one of these up a few years ago. For the money it has a lot of nice features.
Floating top lid converts into a fanny pack
Extendable snow collar
Separate/removable sleeping back pocket
Lot of outside pockets

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
MR Nice frame with drybags to be completely modular, light at around 5.5 lbs and pack meat when encountered.

Well that's what I do now.

Kent

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by krp
MR Nice frame with drybags to be completely modular, light at around 5.5 lbs and pack meat when encountered.

Kent

Kent,

What kind of dry bags do you like and how are you attaching them?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I went with the Eberlestock J107. Very easy to adjust pack to meet situation from day trips to large bulky loads. Scabbard is great when traversing steep slopes or times when you need your hands free. Has been fantastic, would do it again.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Chris,

I actually have the G2 Long Hunter Rendezvous. I had a G1 Guide and decided to go bigger. Just have to remember to not fill it with gear smile

Ed T

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by norcalblacktail
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

What kind of dry bags do you like and how are you attaching them?

I should explain what I am trying to do and why I decided on the MR frame.

I have internal packs, Gregory for conventional backpacking and I liked the idea of the Eberlestock for hunting. Still, when packing meat out I've never liked putting it inside, just how I felt.

I liked all the buckle attachments on the nice frame, the size and how it stays below my shoulders for ease of moving through thick manzanita and scrub oak. Even though I've never sewn before I figured it may not be pretty but I could make some harnesses and modifications to some bags to be modular.

I found webbing and buckles at DIY tactical site and made straps, a meat sling and webbing harness.

For bags I used a Eberle spike duffle, it weighs ozs and has a zipper and holds my entire camp. I picked up a cheap drybag from sportsman that is about the size of a pillow case and it holds my optics and hunting stuff. I use the meat sling to hold them on, works great. I use small drybags for personal items, cloths and food inside the main bags

For scouting trips I've modified a Eberle X1 to be a pack bag on the frame.

Depending on the trip I can add or remove bags.

I definitely can haul meat easiest with this setup.

[Linked Image]

Everything in the setup

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've hauled mulitiple elk, deer and a lion, yet never thought to take a picture of that, I will on the next one.

Kent

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Whatever works for you. No one guy is shaped like the next. Kifaru is a tall skinny load with good suspension, MR crewcab is a squatty load with no "lifter" straps on your shoulders (which might be fine, for you), bigger MR NICE packs have lifters, MR internals are great if a bit heavy, Osprey has a deserved following and a heat-molded waist belt, the old dana externals and internals are outstanding if they fit, etc. and so on. Guys up here swear by their Barney's externals.

If I were you, I would refrain from setting your mind on one pack until you have an opportunity to put a solid meatpacking load (90-150 lbs) in as many packs as you can lay hands on and see who wins. It ain't worth pinching ounces on the trip in only to have to wear a heavy limp tortilla packing meat out.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kifaru Longhunter Guide.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Vek
Whatever works for you. No one guy is shaped like the next. Kifaru is a tall skinny load with good suspension, MR crewcab is a squatty load with no "lifter" straps on your shoulders (which might be fine, for you), bigger MR NICE packs have lifters, MR internals are great if a bit heavy, Osprey has a deserved following and a heat-molded waist belt, the old dana externals and internals are outstanding if they fit, etc. and so on. Guys up here swear by their Barney's externals.

If I were you, I would refrain from setting your mind on one pack until you have an opportunity to put a solid meatpacking load (90-150 lbs) in as many packs as you can lay hands on and see who wins. It ain't worth pinching ounces on the trip in only to have to wear a heavy limp tortilla packing meat out.

Been backpacking for going on 40 years and that was some very good advice...[Dana K-2 here]

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16gage, 58 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,074
Posts18,501,526
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.