Home
Posted By: kutenay Posting Pix to site???? - 05/30/12
I am barely computer literate and would like to post some old and some newer photos to this section of "the Campfire". I had a person who voluteered to assist me in this, the second one, but, now is unable to come and do so.

Thus, I need SIMPLE instructions as to how one can post photos here. I may need to re-photo old pix and may need advice on that and non-techy,puleeze!

I have never been much into photography, due to the work I did and have only about 2-3 dozen photos, but, some here might enjoy seeing some of BC's mountains,even with my ugly mug superimposed on some of that terrain.

So, how does one do it?
Posted By: evanhill Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/30/12
Can you email pictures? If so, you can email me some pictures and I will post them here for you. Much easier than "teaching you to fish" if it is only going to be a one time deal.
Posted By: KodiakHntr Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/30/12
Do you have a printer that also functions as a scanner?

If so, scan and "save as" a .jpg format.

Then open a free photobucket account (easiest way to do it, www.photobucket.com) and upload the pics from where ever it was that you saved them to on your computer.

Then it's a simple matter of right click, copy link, and paste in the thread of your choice.

OR, you could scan and email them to someone who has a 'bucket account and they could post them for you.......
Posted By: kutenay Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/30/12
No, Evan, my wife told me this morning that we DO have a digital camera, which I had forgetten I got her and also she can take pix. from her cellphone. If, I am going to do this, I will learn to do it properly and, if she can find where all my old BCFS and AFS Lookout photos and Canadian Coast Guard pix, are I will probably post them as I become proficient in doing so.

I will also learn to e-mail them as eventually I will sell my gun collection and, given it's size and relative value, I will need to send pix to prospective buyers.

So, when she gets home, I will start with Dave's (KHntr) suggestion and damned well learn to master these tech, gizmos. I even am going to buy a GPS and a PLB for some trips I have planned, no point in remaining "illiterate" for the rest of my days!

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice so far! smile
Posted By: MuleyFan Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/30/12
1) create an account at photobucket.com

2) Upload photo's to account then click view album..

3) Move mouse curser over intended photo until the options below the pic shows up and click on the "IMG option" it will say "copied"

4) Post picture link my hitting ctrl+v to paste link into thread in which you intend to post pic(s)

It is best to open 2 windows to help bounce back and forth between photobucket and 24hrcampfire (or whichever website you plan on sharing the pics)
Posted By: MuleyFan Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/30/12
You can create sub albums at photobucket to help keep your pics organized and easy to find... It's best to do this right off the bat because once you move an uploaded pic it will have a different url address and that pic wont show up if it was previously posted on a website before..

It sounds like rocket science until you do it a few times then its pretty simple..
Its lookin' like Bushcraft will be dining on crow soon enough.
Posted By: fuzzyone Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
And the internet aint goin to be gettin any prettier;)

I might be able to get my wifey to scan your photos and then burn a disc for ya.

Fuzzy
Posted By: Vigilguy Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
[Linked Image]

It works! Thanks for the tip. I am not very good at posting photos either.

(Me testing a Valandre' Mirage at 12 degrees F).
[Linked Image]

Photo of the digital thermometer to prove I was telling the truth!
[Linked Image]

Hey, now that I know how to post pix with ease, this is kinda fun!

(Brookies from Lake ______ in Wyoming, from our goatpacking trip two years ago.)
[Linked Image]

Last photo...I think I got it figured out now...

(Fishing trip to the _________ river in Utah last November, during the Brown Trout spawn)

Thanks for the tips, MuleyFan!!!
Posted By: KodiakHntr Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Its lookin' like Bushcraft will be dining on crow soon enough.

Oh lets not count our crows before they are hatched.......
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
nice fish smile
Posted By: MuleyFan Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
Thanks for the tips, MuleyFan!!!

No problem... Nice fish!
Posted By: kutenay Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
I am not sure exactly what you mean by ...open two windows... in one of your earlier posts?

Also, I have some older pix, no negatives and I cannot find some others I had-yet- as I have never been much into photography and am curious-do I need to have these re-photo'ed with a digital camera?

All of this is totally new to me and I have decided to learn to do this as "Vigilguy" has here and then post pix as I see fit.

One further point and I want to make this totally clear. This is NOT "about" "Bushcraft" or ANYONE/ANYTHING else, it is something I have intended to do for some time and, with the 2+ years of my wife's medical issues, just kept putting off and thus have never finished.

I do not post here to "prove" anything to anyone, much like I don't get into the practice of attempting to denigrate other posters "ad hominem" because this usually reveals more about the protagonist than about the attacked. I also have never taken photos of game animals, other than 2-3 simply because I have never felt like carrying the extra weight of a camera or paying to buy one.

So, let's keep this about learning to post photos and not allow it to become another schitslinging fest for the few who, well, leave it at that as I think certain things are obvious.
Posted By: fuzzyone Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
With your older pics you will need to get them "scanned".This is kind of like getting them" re-photod" .You could take them to london drugs or some other place with a decent photo department. They would "digitize" the photos and be able to burn you a CD with the pics on it. You would then be able to take the disk and and load that onto your computer. Once on your computer you would follow instructions already given about how to post online.

Fuzzy
Posted By: Bushcraft Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Those are some dandy fish Vigil, especially the footballs from Wyoming. Very nice.

Actually TAK, I do not have one iota of a problem eating a little crow. The truth is tasty dish served hot or cold.

Kutenay, By two windows he means have either two Internet Explorer programs open (or two tabs if you are running a newer version of IE). This would allow you to copy the IMG code from Photobucket (running in one window or tab), then transition to the Internet Explorer program or tab you have open for 24Hr, then simply paste into your message. It's really not altogether different than copying or pasting things inside any Word document, e-mail message, or message board forum message you are writing. The trick is copying the correct code in Photobucket. You are a smart guy and should get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Posted By: Bushcraft Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Fuzzy brings up a good point. We all have old pictures floating around, steadily decaying over the years, with the negatives long gone. If one is inclined to save them, it is extremely easy to have them digitally scanned either at home or professionally, and thus preserved and "backed-up" forever.
"Greek to me", but, I can take these old photos to the London Drugs just down Kingsway from it's junction with our street and get that done.

I have or had some others, a deer and some fish, but, far more important, the pix taken of me when we set up the lookout on Bell L/O above "First Bell-Irving Crossing" in 1972, I really treasure the very few L/O pix. I have from my four BCFS and three AFS seasons,especially the 1960's BCFS ones. I lost most of them in basement floods and wish I had put the negatives in a "safe deposit box" when I had them.

Fuzzy, I did not forget to look for the MR Load Cell-large and found it in my gear room. I am usually very organized and know where stuff is, but, the renos here have made some mess and I need to get that dealt with. So, call me tomorrow and you can come by then or Friday or whenever and pick it up.

I will show you whatever guns of mine you may want to look at based on our phone conversation the other day. "brno284"who posts here sometimes, has seven of my rifles for work in Kamloops, but, the others are here if you want to see them.

If, you have a small camera, maybe bring it and give me some lessons as I will buy one in the near future and am not very motivated to learn all of these "digital age" gizmos.
Posted By: okhill Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Holly smokes Vigil!!!!! Those brookies look like they're going to explode.
Thanks! We had fun. Going up there again this Fall. Lots of scuds/plankton in the lake and the Brookies gorge themselves. They are real pigs.
Vigil, did you have these pix burned on a disc and if so, please PM me EXACTLY how you got them from there to this thread?

Also, do you have a camera, that will take and transfer photos to the site,what it it and how do you do it?
Posted By: ken999 Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Nice Brookies Vigil. They look like they should be oink'n...
Posted By: Diyelker Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 05/31/12
Kute, you may want to consider having someone from the techy generation just come over to your house and show you. It is a bit confusing (especially taking verbal directions for this process)but once you see it done, then it becomes very easy to duplicate the process. Most teenagers could probably show you in a matter of 5 minutes or less. Dunno your situation, but if you have a grand kid or a younger person around...just ask em. I'm sure most would help you. I hope you figure it out.
I think that you are right and "Fuzzy" will likely be by later this week and my large, muscular and rather truculent nephew, his rugby name is "Mad Dawg" and for GOOD reason will be by to help me with yard work.

Yup, I will get some photos put on a disc and then have one of them do as you suggest.
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
[Linked Image]

Hey, now that I know how to post pix with ease, this is kinda fun!

(Brookies from Lake ______ in Wyoming, from our goatpacking trip two years ago.)

WOW! Brookies don't get that big back east even if you feed 'em in a pond.
Originally Posted by kutenay
Vigil, did you have these pix burned on a disc and if so, please PM me EXACTLY how you got them from there to this thread?

Also, do you have a camera, that will take and transfer photos to the site,what it it and how do you do it?

No, I just plugged my digital camera into my computer via the USB port and downloaded them. A younger generation techy could show you in just a few minutes. Your snapshots should be scanned in and put on a thumb drive or a CD. Your visitors this week will know what to do. Too tough to explain it to anyone over the Internet.
Yeah, they are big fat pigs. And I used to hear that fish don't grow big in mountain lakes! Hahaha!
Yup, I think that is how I will go and it will probably take a few days to get my surviving old pix put on a CD and then I can post pix as I see fit.

I cannot find some really neat photos of various fire lookouts, showing a younger(much)me, against some of the most gorgeous country in North America. But, maybe, they will turn up and I can post them here.

Then, I guess I had better carefully photo-document EACH step of EVERY hike, hunt, fishing trip or nature study trek I go on and keep them at hand to,well, you know......

So, next year, when, God willing, you come to visit and we go to a few places I don't talk about, you should bring a video-camera and make a "feature film" so we can "prove".........

wink smile smile
Posted By: kutenay Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/15/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here are a few pix of me, hiking-climbing, on Bell L/O and Ballenas Island Lightstation, with an Elk I shot some years ago and so forth. There are more photos in my photobucket account, but, although I have never been much of a photographer, I do have a few from over the years....and about as many, mostly hunting and "lookout" photos were lost in basement flooding in 1993, in Maple Ridge, BC and several years ago in the East Vancouver house I now live in.

So, anyone can check Photobucket for the others I posted there.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r540/Kutenay1946/
Posted By: bluffview Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/15/12
Thanks for posting those Kute, I really enjoy the "vintage" photos.

C'mon guys I need to see some "proof" of your adventures. smile
Posted By: Big_W Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/15/12
Great pics Kute, I bet some of the guys that "tried" calling you out can only dream about some of the adventures you have been on in your lifetime!
Well, I posted these here and might be able to find a few more because I thought that some here might find it interesting. The pix cover about 40 years and I "seem"to have "grown" a little between age 26 and age 66...... wink

Anyway, to me, this is not about competition, who has done or not done whatever or anything other than friendly enjoyment.

To me, the various lookouts, lightstation, wilderness treks and hunting-fishing are just what we did as a part of our lives in BC. As my buddy, "free_miner" said, again today,when over at my place teaching me how to post these; most of the more experienced bush guys he knows and has known for his 25ish years in the bush, never bothered with a camera, because this was normal daily life to us and not something unusual or special.

But, I am going to buy one of those little cameras and take photos of my up-coming trips and post them here as I do get into some spectacular places and I would enjoy sharing this with others.

BTW, did your McHale come yet? I am getting pretty "pumped"about getting one, but, I "owe"my long-suffering wife a new couch first.
Posted By: Big_W Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/15/12
My McHale is just getting finished up in sewing and should be here in the next week or two. I am already planning for another!

Did you happen to see Wolfgang's West coast trail report over at trail space? The "other" big guy is me by the way. Wolfgang said you sent him a pm thinking that he was actually me. Thanks for the advise for that trip. I was the only one that brought micro spikes and everyone else wished they did. If we would of got any rain we would of been a day late getting out because they would not of had them. That Vancouver coast sure is rugged, in some parts of the trail we were only doing about 1 km a hour hiking, but others were faster and a lot faster when on the beach. That makes for a long day when your doing 16 km!
Yep, I did read the first reports on that trek and I am sorry to see that some decided against "Microspikes", but, "live and learn",eh.

I dammed near broke my neck a few times on BC coastal deadfall before learning to wear spikes whenever I was traversing such terrain and I now carry the Kahtoola alloy crampons on any trek I go on. My wife is,FINALLY, going to retire at month's end and I will then be out in the "North Shore"mountains here at least every second day.

That will wear the gut off me and get me ready for West Kootenay Elk this Sept., I can hardly wait, after two years of being cooped up here with an invalid wife. I know a spot where one of the above photos was taken about 1973 and the Elk have moved in there bigtime....and one is mine! smile
kutenay, it looks like you already got it figured out. I posted this explanation up a long time ago to someone named koot for what it's worth. There are two ways to put a pic up. One is to upload the file via the file manager, and the other is to use a photo sharing account. Both ways are explained below, with the upload method first. I should add though, that if you upload the files it won't accept large files. I believe the limit is 100K, so for high resolution images, use a photosharing account.

Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
koot, if you want to make a link to a jpg file, click 'Reply' (not Quick Reply) and you will see a hyperlink at the bottom of the Reply screen which says 'File Manager'. Click 'File Manager' and then click the 'Browse' button. You can then browse your computer's file tree, find and select the pic you want to upload. Then click the 'Add file' button and it will upload. You can repeat browsing and adding files for several pics, or just one if you like. When you have finished adding all the files you want to, click the 'Done adding files' button. That will make a hyperlink to the pic(s).

The other way to do it is to open a photo sharing account with a service like photobucket and link it with the [img][/img] tags to your reply. For instance, lets say your photo in photobucket has a web address of http://www.photobucket.com/koot's_pic.jpg
then you just insert or copy that address into the image tags like so:

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/koot's_pic.jpg[/img]

Since this isn't a true valid web address, you don't actually see an image, but you do see the proper syntax that would show an image if the address were valid.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/16/12
"Koot"is not me and he is a gentleman from one of the small towns in the West Kootenays, actually, where I was living in 1981-82,when I decided to move to Vancouver. So, I would not have seen your instructions, however, thank you very kindly for your post as I can use all the info. on this that I can get. smile
Posted By: Shag Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/16/12
Way cool pics Kute!!! Personally never doubted you myself and never cared if u threw up pics. Pics don't mean diddly squat. You've always made perfect sense to me. With what little I've done and paying attention to those that know things tend to work out. Nothing like trial and error to hone in on what works for any one person. I do like your pics though!! And damn glad to see you back at the fire. IMO This place is better with you than without you..

Cheers my brother!

Is that a Selkirk Bull??? smile
Beauty! Love the vintage stuff, love the new stuff.

I suggest you keep an digital camera with you and take A WHOLE LOT more pics as you age. Life is about memories and when your really old you'll look back at your 60's as youthful.

My gramps was 87 and died this year. I have an pic of him I'm looking at with an moose he drew for and killed when he was in his 80's. It's in back of my truck and he's standing there next to it. Memories.

My dad is 63 and suffers from Parkinsons. This year he too drew an bull moose tag and I intend to get him out and put him on an nice bull. I' don't know much about posting pics but before the season starts I will learn all I need about pics and I'm going to taking an whole bunch and also some video.

There will come a point soon where all he will have is memories of what he used to do. So take pics of your adventures and they'll be worth more than gold to you someday.
Originally Posted by kutenay
"Koot"is not me and he is a gentleman from one of the small towns in the West Kootenays, actually, where I was living in 1981-82,when I decided to move to Vancouver. So, I would not have seen your instructions, however, thank you very kindly for your post as I can use all the info. on this that I can get. smile

I didn't think you were Koot. I was just lazy and did a copy-paste of a reply I made to him in another thread. I didn't want to type it all out again. Anyhoo, mayhap it will do you or someone else some good.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/16/12
Some nice photos and great scenery! As much as I love the area I live, the Appalachians aren't the Rockies.
BTW, you were better looking when you were younger whistle...but then, (cough,cough) so was I cry

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Posted By: ScottH Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/16/12
Great old photos, I hope you post some more. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Harvdog Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/16/12
[Linked Image]

Test
Posted By: evanhill Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/21/12
Thanks for all of the pictures, particularly the vintage ones. Makes me want to throw out all of my outdoor gear but an external frame pack and my Asolo Yukons and drive on.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by evanhill
Thanks for all of the pictures, particularly the vintage ones. Makes me want to throw out all of my outdoor gear but an external frame pack and my Asolo Yukons and drive on.

I love the vintage photos as well as the vintage gear, but I'd never go back to Asolo Yukons:) I'm sticking with my trail runners!
Posted By: kutenay Re: Posting Pix to site???? - 06/21/12
The external frame pack in these photos, was a Fjallraven Expedition Pack, which I "customized" somewhat with a Camp Trails waistbelt and some other mods. I bought it to replace the third Camp Trails external I had bought since my first in summer, '68 and it was the best frame pack I ever used until I got my two Dana Design Terraframes, which beat anything I have ever tried.

I sold it one late afternoon to a guy who was a customer in my bookstore I had in my hometown,about 1978 and I have regretted this ever since. Fjallraven, in those days, made some pretty fine gear and I owned/used quite a lot of it.

There are two Synergy Works Expedition Packs also shown, I had some input on the design of the second (green) one and I really liked the initial one's design of a panel loader,except the suspension simply did not work for me. Yet, my youngest brother, a lean, fit, hockey-playing 5"9" horticulturalist, who can outwalk anyone I have ever seen, has used it for years and seems to find it "OK". Shows how individual pack comfort can be as I find the older Dana-Bozeman packs to fit me better than anything else.

I also had, in that era, an interesting pack from "Karrimore"of the UK and it was designed by the immortal Dougal Haston and was both an internal and also an external frame could be fitted. We had a number of gear options then, the superb "Sac Millet" gear from France,for example, that is, sadly, no longer available.

Boots, I still prefer FGL heavy hikers as my gimpy leg really benefit from the additional support,especially coming downhill with any weight in my pack.
© 24hourcampfire