Home
Posted By: high_country_ Stoic gear - 10/03/12
Hey guys I took a job where I am forced to carry a warm coat on a jet for a big part of the year, i dont ever have tovwear it....just have it, so i wanted something super compact to fit in my day bag/man purse. I pulled the trigger on a stoic branded down anorak that backcountry had on sale for $90. Of course, they also had a deal on a 4 person tent that's about what I would like to keep on the boat.....so I grabbed it too. Trouble is, I am stuck in Alaska for a few more weeks and the stuff will end up at my place in the states. Can anyone make me feel warm and fuzzy and tell me the stoic stuff is decent?.....pretty please.
Posted By: brdana Re: Stoic gear - 10/03/12
I have some, it's pretty good gear, not great gear. I have some merino and really like it. I have some softshell shorts and they have really cut corners on sewing. Good gear for the price esp when it's on sale.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Stoic gear - 10/03/12
Perfect. The truth is I may never wear the anorak, just haul it around for months to keep up with policy.
Posted By: pka45 Re: Stoic gear - 10/03/12
I think it's great gear - and I have a lot of it. In fact, my Hadron down anorak is one of my favorite pieces of equipment! I think you'll love it.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Stoic gear - 10/03/12
That is the one I bought. Does it compact down well?
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: Stoic gear - 10/04/12
How's it going???? Took me forever to connect the dotz. Hope things are going well.

I bought a Stoic Somnus bag last summer. It's well thought out and sized well. Uber light. Have no complaints. Was a steal in my opinion.

Gonna make it back for any fun?
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Stoic gear - 10/04/12
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
How's it going???? Took me forever to connect the dotz. Hope things are going well.

I bought a Stoic Somnus bag last summer. It's well thought out and sized well. Uber light. Have no complaints. Was a steal in my opinion.

Gonna make it back for any fun?

For sure. I spread myself thin for a couple months...but am set up to do a two week on two week off rotation which makes for lots of free time...soon.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Stoic gear - 10/04/12
Down compacts nicely. However, don't keep it compacted. Every time you can, shake it out to fluff it up. The down will break down and become worthless if you keep it compacted all the time.
Posted By: pka45 Re: Stoic gear - 10/04/12
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Down compacts nicely. However, don't keep it compacted. Every time you can, shake it out to fluff it up. The down will break down and become worthless if you keep it compacted all the time.

Exactly - just try not to leave it stuffed too tightly for too long...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Stoic gear - 10/04/12
Spartan Gunner here has a sleeping bag and jacket that he used on our trip last month. He seemed to like it pretty well. I had never heard of the brand previously.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Stoic gear - 10/04/12
It can get flat for all I care, this is just to say that I have one with me. I plan on abusing it, now my western mountaineering bag......
© 24hourcampfire