Home
Posted By: Kenneth Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/26/13
Lets pick a pack,

Was thinking of going with the T3, main emphasis was daypack with overnight capabilities. But at 600 coins for a daypack, why?

Lets go a little bigger for a few more bucks, and do the T2, yes?

Mainly a daypack, again with overnight/weekend capability's, once in a while a quarter of a big game animal.

What options? what lid, I'm thinking standard lid, cost wise and weight wise.

Color likely to be foliage green, maybe multicam. Any one know the cost diff between the two? I can't find that on the website.

Any pockets that are must have?

Stays, Composite or Aluminum? 26 inch or 24? I believe I have a long torso(21+)

Lets hear it......
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/26/13
Call them for all fitting questions. I went with multicam and like it. I also like the "grab it" accessory and actually went blaze orange on that so I can use it out here during rifle season. Standard lid, gunbearer option also recommended. I went composite stays.

This pack can shrink down enough to be used as carryon luggage and I have done that a few times. Still retains enough room for a week hiking trip. Sure some others will chime in and good talking to you the other day.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/26/13
No objections with the standard lid? Good to hear from actual users of said Product.

Was cool talking to you also the other day Sir,( I call any one over 6'6 Sir) Keeps things simpler... Grin....
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/26/13
Neither. The only thing in the Kifaru line that interests me is the Bikini. I'd put what ever Timber line bag on that I wanted. Lots more versatility, IMO. I predict a LOT of Kifaru packs will go the way of the dodo in the next few years, and the Timberlines will be some of the first to go.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Neither. The only thing in the Kifaru line that interests me is the Bikini. I'd put what ever Timber line bag on that I wanted. Lots more versatility, IMO. I predict a LOT of Kifaru packs will go the way of the dodo in the next few years, and the Timberlines will be some of the first to go.

Give a few suggestions on packs that you find more ideally suited to my purpose please.

Why will the Timberlines become extinct?
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/26/13
The dozen dudes who like the Timberline's pocket arrangement have already bought theirs.
Do you have any actual reasons why you dislike the Timberline series?

So far you're only giving half answers...

Posted By: 4th_point Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/26/13
T-a-k,

The Bikini looks like an old school pack frame. It weighs less than the regular Hunting Platform, but Kifaru rates it for 100 lbs vs 150 lbs for the HP.

What do you like better about Bikini frame?

I'm thinking about the HP or Panel Hauler since they seem a little more robust than the Bikini. It "looks" like the hipbelt wraps around the packboard too.

Thanks,

Jason
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/27/13
Hard to beat the Bikini Highlander 4800 combo if you are into a removable frame type pack. If you do not need a removable frame, then I would suggest taking a look at the Late Season. It is a great pack.
Posted By: twintips16 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/27/13
I have the T1. Only 6 or 7 ounces more then the T2 and folds just as small. I use it for all my needs from a day pack with just water and rifle to a 5-7 day pack.

I have the standard lid. I am not sold on the pocket arrangement but it works. I would like more pockets but that would add weight. Having less pockets makes me think more about organization and what i need and don't need.

Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/27/13
I'm in the same camp with twintips. For the coin I went Longhunter. For smaller packs and loads looking to do probably the umlindy (sp?) From HPG.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/27/13
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm in the same camp with twintips. For the coin I went Longhunter. For smaller packs and loads looking to do probably the umlindy (sp?) From HPG.

I favor HPG's top-loading pack with a compression panel (Tara Pocket) system over any packbag Kifaru makes. I have an old G1 Longhunter so equipped. Looking to get a Bikini frame and compare. Kifaru hipbelts carry like nothing else does, IMO. I think the HPG Prarie Belt will be equally comfortable but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to get one for my old Longhunter.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/28/13
The bikini with the 4800 high camp bag is a really good combo. The bag will compress down very small and it will hold enough internally for 5 days and you can add a pod or three to go longer if needed. Add a grab it and a couple of belt pouches and you're good to go.
As for the lids I would add the long hunter lid and trim the belt straps and connectors so it only a lid and it only adds 3 to 4 oz for a 1000ci of segregated space. With all the straps to make it a fanny pack it adds 14 oz
Posted By: strawman Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/28/13
Originally Posted by twintips16
I have the T1. Only 6 or 7 ounces more then the T2 and folds just as small. I use it for all my needs from a day pack with just water and rifle to a 5-7 day pack.

I have the standard lid. I am not sold on the pocket arrangement but it works. I would like more pockets but that would add weight. Having less pockets makes me think more about organization and what i need and don't need.

I'm with you. Opted for the T1...I can use it for any situation I would ever need a pack...from week long trips to day hunts. Would it be nice to have more pockets? In the beginning, yes. But, after using it just a few times, I don't miss them at all. Added a couple belt pockets and now it's good to go.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/29/13
and the Timberlines will be some of the first to go.

Aren't you a fuggin Prophet, Turns out the Timberline is being phased out,

Now I'm really having a hissy fit....SOB......
Posted By: twintips16 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/29/13
If thats what you want I see then quite often in the classifieds. Something to thing about...
Posted By: THE_ELK_REAPER Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/30/13
The standard Timberline is getting phased out because of the large # of people choosing the Bikini frame Timberline bag combo.

You get a more versatile suspension with the bikini no weight penalty. Also, the Bikini frame is rated for 100+ pounds, and I've tested (as well as others) with over 200. We just had a guy pack out a 140lb load (spring black bear) for 4 miles last week and the guy loved the way the Bikini handled, so I wouldn't get to wrapped up in rated #'s.

The actual design of the Timberline bag will never be phased out, but again, we decided to just offer the bag with the option of the Bikini or Duplex suspension.

Take A Knee is a little off on the #'s of the Tline sales, as Kifaru has sold a few thousand, but this is the internet:), and a free country, so I guess you are allowed to pull whatever #'s out of your butt that you want...LOL

We are always working on new designs, and since Kifaru is a small company, some things will always need to get phased out over time as we can only handle so many orders.

Good luck with your decision!

Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/30/13
I was one of those few thousand and love my T2 so far. Fits me fine but glad the R&D is still going strong at Kifaru. Now I need a 2 pound slick bag.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/30/13
Originally Posted by THE_ELK_REAPER

Take A Knee is a little off on the #'s of the Tline sales, as Kifaru has sold a few thousand, but this is the internet:), and a free country, so I guess you are allowed to pull whatever #'s out of your butt that you want...LOL

Elk can you say H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E? It's one of them there literary devices that schoolmarms attempt to impart.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/30/13
Don't know about 'marms, but it do appear someone got schooled.
Since it's my only Kifaru, I'm happy with the standard T1 and have no lust for other models. Modularity is typically good however and has been a selling point for the duplex, nice, and stone glacier offerings. Good for Kifaru.
Posted By: chinadill Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13
T.A.K. It's better to let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it. phil
Posted By: THE_ELK_REAPER Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13

Elk can you say H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E? It's one of them there literary devices that schoolmarms attempt to impart.

Yes, I can say H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E, but I can also say hater, tool, misinformation and multiple other words and phrases. That doesn't mean I should, but I can say all of them and I can do it quickly at the same time.

Much like any outdoor company (Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, HPG and Mystery Ranch), Kifaru is always evolving, and if we don't build what people ask for (all of the companies), our sales will go down hill, so yes, we will always try and offer what people are requesting. But as a small company, it is hard to keep all of the packs we've ever offered. So as new models come out, old models may go to the wayside if the new model offers something more.

Again, like any other company, we try and please everyone, but some people can't be pleased, and with all the competition, they will have plenty to choose from and something from someone else may work.

Overall, the new compition on the market is keeping everyone on their toes, and that makes it better for the consumer. We enjoy the competition, as it makes us work harder on the design table. So hopefully everyone (consumers and businesses) gain from this.

Good luck to everyone this season!
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13
hater, tool, misinformation

Those are nice words compared to what many say about TAK.
Posted By: CLB Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13
All I want to know is......you gonna start posting more??
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13

.... I can also say hater, tool, misinformation and multiple other words and phrases. That doesn't mean I should, but I can say all of them and I can do it quickly at the same time.

Okay, you resort to name calling because I don't happen to like Kifaru's pocket layout. Maybe you have some "tipi-testing" of competitors' products you need to do.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Bite me Smoke.
Posted By: chinadill Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13
Should have taken my advice TAK, you just proved it again! phil
Originally Posted by Calvin
hater, tool, misinformation

Those are nice words compared to what many say about TAK.

Enlighten us all Obiwan, and what say you?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13
Originally Posted by smokepole

Bite me Smoke.

Hug a root.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 05/31/13
Thanks for all the free bumps,

But maybe We could stay on topic?

I'll be ordering a T2 this weekend,

and I might just order a frickin T3 also, at the same time.

Damn the torpedoes......Full speed ahead......
Posted By: Sancho_Maes Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/01/13
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Thanks for all the free bumps,

But maybe We could stay on topic?

I'll be ordering a T2 this weekend,

and I might just order a frickin T3 also, at the same time.

Damn the torpedoes......Full speed ahead......

I am pretty sure you will be happy with your choice! That is a great pack and there is a lot of happy T2 users out there. I carried my T2 last year all the time and packed out enough meat with it to realize its fine qaulities. If you have any questions or concerns be sure to get ahold of Kifaru before you order or after and their customer service will likely get you through anything that you need help with.

Since last year I have upgraded to a DT1 and a Bikini/Highcamp 4800. Through luck of the draw between myself, my dad, and friends I hope to get my packs bloody this season!

Again I am confident that T2 will suit your needs and you will be happy with it.
Posted By: twintips16 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/01/13
Good purchase!!! You will be happy!

Posted By: chinadill Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/01/13
What twintips16 said!
"Enjoy"
Posted By: THE_ELK_REAPER Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13

.... I can also say hater, tool, misinformation and multiple other words and phrases. That doesn't mean I should, but I can say all of them and I can do it quickly at the same time.

Sorry I didn't reply quicker, as I was in the wilderness for the last couple days working on new packs that people won't buy....not in Georgia, acting like I know what I'm doing:)

Okay, you resort to name calling because I don't happen to like Kifaru's pocket layout. Maybe you have some "tipi-testing" of competitors' products you need to do.

I didn't call you any names directly, just words that I'm capable of saying, BUT if I was going to call you something, I would get banned.... AND, I don't care if you don't like the pockets on the Timberline, as you would bitch about nickle day at the cat house! What does bother me is, well, YOU!

And if the best you can come up with is "go test a tipi", than you've got no game! Are you sure you were a soldier??? Rangers Lead The Way!

Anyway, back on topic.....

Kenneth, call me Monday and I'll get you squared away. Looking forward to chatting with you!

Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
We'll be calling as well to see about getting another rig going and hope to stop by next week. Ignore works great on TAK by the way. Hoping you have a long slick bag around that we could check out sizing on.
Posted By: Vigilguy Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
Lets pick a pack,

Was thinking of going with the T3, main emphasis was daypack with overnight capabilities. But at 600 coins for a daypack, why?

Mainly a daypack, again with overnight/weekend capability's, once in a while a quarter of a big game animal.

What options? what lid, I'm thinking standard lid, cost wise and weight wise.

Color likely to be foliage green, maybe multicam. Any one know the cost diff between the two? I can't find that on the website.

Any pockets that are must have?

Stays, Composite or Aluminum? 26 inch or 24? I believe I have a long torso(21+)

Lets hear it......

Have you considered a custom fitted pack by Dan McHale? I own three of them and have been quite pleased with his suspension on each of them. You can pick the exact features/colors that you want and I really think that you could get a custom fit for less than $600 if you select cordura instead of dyneema or dyneema grid.

$600 coins for a "production pack" seems outrageous from my point of view, sorry Kifaru fans.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
Never tried a McHale but, IMO, it won't carry better than a Kifaru waistbelt. Might be as good, but not better. The KU belt and their KU laminated stays work like a champ for me. YMMV. I haven't gotten my hands on a Bikini frame yet but I think they've got that dialed in. It is basically a high-tech version of what people have used in the mountains for eons. Packbags wear out, sometimes you need a big one, sometimes you don't, sometimes you don't need a packbag at all.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
Originally Posted by Vigilguy

Have you considered a custom fitted pack by Dan McHale?

Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
We're not going there..at all, no....

Problem is, these last few days,

I've discovered I have a vagina, can't make decisions for nothing, I resemble my wife picking out new shoes...

Thought I wanted the T3, but 600 for a daypack is over the top,

After many P.M.s, (thanks guys) I was going toward the duplex with T2 bag, the downside was weight, almost 7 lbs,not so cool for a guy who really is looking for a daypack with possible 1-2 overnight capabilities. The Duplex frame alone with the grab-it has endless possibilities

Due to the weight of the Duplex T2, I started looking at the bikini with t3 bag, Bikini has good reviews, good venting for the back, lightweight, Win Win.. No bottom access on the T3, but what the hell, Like there really is a perfect pack out there.

High camp bag has no pockets, and I like pockets, if I need to start adding accessory pockets, then weight and money starts adding up...

[bleep] me, I resemble Jeff_0

Kenneth, call me Monday and I'll get you squared away. Looking forward to chatting with you!

Ah, actually we were talking last Monday, We were cut short and You said you would call me back,,

I've been patiently sitting by the phone for the last 144 hours.. whistle
Posted By: BradB Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
I told you to run over and give my BT2 a test drive!!! Probably less then 3 hrs smile
I could do that, or fly to Colorado,,,and see them all.

I've discovered I have a vagina, can't make decisions for nothing, I resemble my wife picking out new shoes...

After many P.M.s, (thanks guys) I was going toward the duplex with T2 bag, the downside was weight, almost 7 lbs,not so cool for a guy who really is looking for a daypack with possible 1-2 overnight capabilities. The Duplex frame alone with the grab-it has endless possibilities

Due to the weight of the Duplex T2, I started looking at the bikini with t3 bag, Bikini has good reviews, good venting for the back, lightweight, Win Win.. No bottom access on the T3, but what the hell, Like there really is a perfect pack out there.

High camp bag has no pockets, and I like pockets, if I need to start adding accessory pockets, then weight and money starts adding up...

Suit yourself! When I studied your original post, it sounded like you were looking for a day pack with overnight capabilities, with several custom features and add-ons. Just trying to help.

I am intrigued by the Kifaru frame set-up. Looks like a great idea for hunters who are packing meat out.

If I were a pack maker though, I would be awfully nervous about claiming load carrying abilities up to 200 lbs though for the general public. Kinda like saying that my sleeping bag is good down to -100 degree F, or my tent will stand up in Oklahoma tornados.
Mchale packs are highly regarded by many, He just has too many options/choices for a simpleton such as myself.(grin)

I doubt I will ever haul a load over 100 lbs, ever, It's just not what I do, the type of hunts I go on.

I'm having a roof put on my house, the shingles have a 50 year warranty, sure they do..I cant carry 200 on my back and I'll be dead in 50 years...

The numbers sound impressive though...
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
My T2, properly adjusted, is allowing me to train with 60 pounds of sand like it isn't there. Going to bump it up some shortly but don't see a need to carry more than 100 anymore. Think that pack with plain lid runs 5 pounds. Allows me to carry a cross draw holster on factory belt as well which I like a lot.

And they do have a heckuva warranty. If I see a break in the training and scouting schedule I might be able to ship it out to you to test.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/02/13
I don't see Kifaru pricing too far out of line for what you get. A Mchale would run 30 to 50% more no?

Ah, actually we were talking last Monday, We were cut short and You said you would call me back,,

I've been patiently sitting by the phone for the last 144 hours.. whistle

HAHA, yep, I get a lot of phone calls each day and can't keep up sometimes.

Call me now if you wanna. I'm not in the field today, so I'm good anytime.
I just said the pack was tested with that much weight, and did not recommend it to anyone. The Kifaru website has the ratings.

I know Kurt from Stone Glacier showed 400lb in his, but I didn't see that and think he was telling people to pack that much. It's more of a "hey, we did this to it in testing, but we rate it at this".

It seems common sense would tell you that 200lbs shouldn't be done by any human.

Suit yourself! When I studied your original post, it sounded like you were looking for a day pack with overnight capabilities, with several custom features and add-ons. Just trying to help.

I am intrigued by the Kifaru frame set-up. Looks like a great idea for hunters who are packing meat out.

If I were a pack maker though, I would be awfully nervous about claiming load carrying abilities up to 200 lbs though for the general public. Kinda like saying that my sleeping bag is good down to -100 degree F, or my tent will stand up in Oklahoma tornados.
Originally Posted by ken999
I don't see Kifaru pricing too far out of line for what you get. A Mchale would run 30 to 50% more no?

[Linked Image]

It really depends on features and fabric. Base McHale packs, if you check out his site, can be below the $600 price tag. My point was is that they are custom made and fitted to each individual's unique body size. And they are incredibly rugged and are built to last a lifetime. I have owned MR Packs, and also Osprey, but there is nothing quite like a pack frame that is built to your body frame and yours alone, based on your measurements.

Where custom boot makers charge big bucks for their boots, Dan's process is a real bargain in that respect. But it is probably overkill for most people and is not for everyone.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/05/13
The critical mass packs are around 7000 cubes and start at $925. Add in $500 worth of UL fabric to get the weight down to 5.25 pounds and a Kifaru is nothing short of a bargain.
Posted By: Vigilguy Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/05/13
(sigh...)

Hey Ken--- Check out the link.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/0-SarcUL.htm

Starts at $595.00.

I know what McHale packs cost. I own them. A Merke, a Chasm, and a SCMII, shown above. Two of my packs cost $950 each, due to the my fabric choices, and one of them was $495 (the Merke) which is a wonderful overnight pack, capable of carrying 50 lbs in comfort..

If you want to start a dog fight, I'm not interested.

If you feel that Kifaru packs are a bargain, I am thrilled for you. I think their pack frames look pretty cool.

I just happen to like McHale packs because the custom fit feature and the ability to choose fabrics and options is attractive to me. Is that okay with you?
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/05/13
Hey ken999, I'm losing patience with the McHale website. I'm trying to compare how well I did (by weight) with a custom one-off carbon fiber mold of my son's back, turned into a pack frame. Was that 5.25 lbs explicitly mentioned on that website?

Thx,
David
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
Sigh....

You linked me to a 3000 cu in pack...lets try to compare apples to apples.

I'm certainly not trying to knock a Mchale pack. I'd love to have one. But they are a LOT more expensive than a Kifaru....and rightly so.

Dave- the weights are listed on the Critical Mass packs....all the way down the page. I find the website clunky myself. How have you been anyways?
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
The website is Clunky, used to be much Clunklyer, (Thats a word)

Like I said, they may be Fantastic packs, I just don't have the time or Patience, I've looked into them, and always ended asking myself,,Why?

I do appreciate Vigilguys input though...

FWIW,The good news, I ordered a Bikini frame and Duplex Timberline 2 bag, all in Foilage green,

The bad news,,7 week wait for delivery...SOB.....
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
Congrats on the pack!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
Be curious to hear about the bikini frame. Should be ideal for what you need. Our hunt is sooner than yours and son ordered the Stone Glacier Solo yesterday. Should have it tomorrow and will be hiking soon thereafter.

Boots, clothes, packs, equipment keeps showing up on the front porch. Dang sheep tags are expensive...
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
Originally Posted by 30338
son ordered the Stone Glacier Solo yesterday. Should have it tomorrow and will be hiking soon thereafter.

Why so hurtful?

You know I need a hug about now.....Been a very stressful week, picking packs and such...
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
You have nothing but time!! We are at less than two months and counting. If I get any pics soon of rams, will post them up to give you something to think about.
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/06/13
Originally Posted by ken999

Dave- the weights are listed on the Critical Mass packs....all the way down the page. I find the website clunky myself. How have you been anyways?

OK, found it, finally after scrolling down a couple of screens' worth of nothing. Thanks again. I'm doing well, with much work being thrown my way. I'm thankful for that. I hope you are doing well too.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Timberline 2 - 06/07/13
Can't complain...glad to hear it.
© 24hourcampfire