Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lets pick a pack,

Was thinking of going with the T3, main emphasis was daypack with overnight capabilities. But at 600 coins for a daypack, why?

Lets go a little bigger for a few more bucks, and do the T2, yes?

Mainly a daypack, again with overnight/weekend capability's, once in a while a quarter of a big game animal.

What options? what lid, I'm thinking standard lid, cost wise and weight wise.

Color likely to be foliage green, maybe multicam. Any one know the cost diff between the two? I can't find that on the website.

Any pockets that are must have?

Stays, Composite or Aluminum? 26 inch or 24? I believe I have a long torso(21+)

Lets hear it......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call them for all fitting questions. I went with multicam and like it. I also like the "grab it" accessory and actually went blaze orange on that so I can use it out here during rifle season. Standard lid, gunbearer option also recommended. I went composite stays.

This pack can shrink down enough to be used as carryon luggage and I have done that a few times. Still retains enough room for a week hiking trip. Sure some others will chime in and good talking to you the other day.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No objections with the standard lid? Good to hear from actual users of said Product.

Was cool talking to you also the other day Sir,( I call any one over 6'6 Sir) Keeps things simpler... Grin....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Neither. The only thing in the Kifaru line that interests me is the Bikini. I'd put what ever Timber line bag on that I wanted. Lots more versatility, IMO. I predict a LOT of Kifaru packs will go the way of the dodo in the next few years, and the Timberlines will be some of the first to go.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Neither. The only thing in the Kifaru line that interests me is the Bikini. I'd put what ever Timber line bag on that I wanted. Lots more versatility, IMO. I predict a LOT of Kifaru packs will go the way of the dodo in the next few years, and the Timberlines will be some of the first to go.

Give a few suggestions on packs that you find more ideally suited to my purpose please.

Why will the Timberlines become extinct?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The dozen dudes who like the Timberline's pocket arrangement have already bought theirs.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have any actual reasons why you dislike the Timberline series?

So far you're only giving half answers...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T-a-k,

The Bikini looks like an old school pack frame. It weighs less than the regular Hunting Platform, but Kifaru rates it for 100 lbs vs 150 lbs for the HP.

What do you like better about Bikini frame?

I'm thinking about the HP or Panel Hauler since they seem a little more robust than the Bikini. It "looks" like the hipbelt wraps around the packboard too.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/26/13.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hard to beat the Bikini Highlander 4800 combo if you are into a removable frame type pack. If you do not need a removable frame, then I would suggest taking a look at the Late Season. It is a great pack.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have the T1. Only 6 or 7 ounces more then the T2 and folds just as small. I use it for all my needs from a day pack with just water and rifle to a 5-7 day pack.

I have the standard lid. I am not sold on the pocket arrangement but it works. I would like more pockets but that would add weight. Having less pockets makes me think more about organization and what i need and don't need.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the same camp with twintips. For the coin I went Longhunter. For smaller packs and loads looking to do probably the umlindy (sp?) From HPG.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm in the same camp with twintips. For the coin I went Longhunter. For smaller packs and loads looking to do probably the umlindy (sp?) From HPG.

I favor HPG's top-loading pack with a compression panel (Tara Pocket) system over any packbag Kifaru makes. I have an old G1 Longhunter so equipped. Looking to get a Bikini frame and compare. Kifaru hipbelts carry like nothing else does, IMO. I think the HPG Prarie Belt will be equally comfortable but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to get one for my old Longhunter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The bikini with the 4800 high camp bag is a really good combo. The bag will compress down very small and it will hold enough internally for 5 days and you can add a pod or three to go longer if needed. Add a grab it and a couple of belt pouches and you're good to go.
As for the lids I would add the long hunter lid and trim the belt straps and connectors so it only a lid and it only adds 3 to 4 oz for a 1000ci of segregated space. With all the straps to make it a fanny pack it adds 14 oz

Last edited by Daveinjax; 05/28/13.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by twintips16
I have the T1. Only 6 or 7 ounces more then the T2 and folds just as small. I use it for all my needs from a day pack with just water and rifle to a 5-7 day pack.

I have the standard lid. I am not sold on the pocket arrangement but it works. I would like more pockets but that would add weight. Having less pockets makes me think more about organization and what i need and don't need.

I'm with you. Opted for the T1...I can use it for any situation I would ever need a pack...from week long trips to day hunts. Would it be nice to have more pockets? In the beginning, yes. But, after using it just a few times, I don't miss them at all. Added a couple belt pockets and now it's good to go.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
and the Timberlines will be some of the first to go.

Aren't you a fuggin Prophet, Turns out the Timberline is being phased out,

Now I'm really having a hissy fit....SOB......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If thats what you want I see then quite often in the classifieds. Something to thing about...

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The standard Timberline is getting phased out because of the large # of people choosing the Bikini frame Timberline bag combo.

You get a more versatile suspension with the bikini no weight penalty. Also, the Bikini frame is rated for 100+ pounds, and I've tested (as well as others) with over 200. We just had a guy pack out a 140lb load (spring black bear) for 4 miles last week and the guy loved the way the Bikini handled, so I wouldn't get to wrapped up in rated #'s.

The actual design of the Timberline bag will never be phased out, but again, we decided to just offer the bag with the option of the Bikini or Duplex suspension.

Take A Knee is a little off on the #'s of the Tline sales, as Kifaru has sold a few thousand, but this is the internet:), and a free country, so I guess you are allowed to pull whatever #'s out of your butt that you want...LOL

We are always working on new designs, and since Kifaru is a small company, some things will always need to get phased out over time as we can only handle so many orders.

Good luck with your decision!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was one of those few thousand and love my T2 so far. Fits me fine but glad the R&D is still going strong at Kifaru. Now I need a 2 pound slick bag.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by THE_ELK_REAPER

Take A Knee is a little off on the #'s of the Tline sales, as Kifaru has sold a few thousand, but this is the internet:), and a free country, so I guess you are allowed to pull whatever #'s out of your butt that you want...LOL

Elk can you say H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E? It's one of them there literary devices that schoolmarms attempt to impart.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 05/30/13. Reason: spellin'
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't know about 'marms, but it do appear someone got schooled.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.