Home
My Trango 2 had some issues with attachment points delaminating on the fly. Sent it to mountain hardwear hoping for a repair, but they opted instead to offer a credit for new gear. Now, as much as I loved my trango for the design, double vestibules and all around bomb proofness, I hated the weight! it is a 5 pole tent weighing in at 9 pounds without the footprint. I could get a new trango, however I was also looking at some of their "3-season" models like the ghost and the optic.

Early season sheep and goat hunts, the occasional mid fall moose trip...

is it foolish to go to a 3 season tent? I don't really have the cash to go for a Hilleberg as I would like so, sort of stuck to MH offerings. any thoughts?
Kuiu

https://www.kuiu.com/backpack-hunti...;cgid=sleepsystem-tents#product-overview

This is a great tent!
I’m not a fan of their current tent offerings, or most of what MH makes.

I’d opt for the most expensive tent they’ll give you (I’d wait for a non-sale 2019 offering). Get it, sell it, and get something you want, not a compromise.
I would pass on Mountain Hardware tents.
I had a Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1 and issues with the fly integrity. They gave me a choice of similar tents to replace it as the Skyledge was no longer in production. None were a very good replacement for the Skyledge...a 4# twin vestibule two man back pack sheep hunting tent that was excellent for the purpose. I decided to take a light weight "2.5 man" single wall tent, as the replacement...forgot the model. I immediately sold it on Kijiji (like Craig's list for non-Canadians). Took the money and bought a MSR Hubba Hubba NSX, which is slightly lighter, slightly wider, slightly taller, with a bit more vertical end walls for more foot space. I really like it and glad I dumped the MH line of tents for the competitor. As a side note, I had terrible luck with a one man Big Anges tent and wouldn't recommend them to anyone...nor their sleeping pad.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Yeah, great results with the EV 3 single wall for temps below 40degrees. ~6lb. Great in fierce winds, too. Works fantastic in rain using the rainfly from my North Face Guide tent. Great ventilation design and roomy.

Those less experienced with alpine conditions may find issues with their summer or 3 season tent.
Originally Posted by Brad

I’d opt for the most expensive tent they’ll give you (I’d wait for a non-sale 2019 offering). Get it, sell it, and get something you want, not a compromise.

You sound like a beginner, yet you have thousands of "opinions".
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Yeah, great results with the EV 3 single wall for temps below 40degrees. ~6lb. Great in fierce winds, too. Works fantastic in rain using the rainfly from my North Face Guide tent. Great ventilation design and roomy.

Those less experienced with alpine conditions may find issues with their summer or 3 season tent.

The EV was a good tent. I don't believe they are making it anymore. I could be wrong
Yeah not much experience in the Alpine. smile smile smile I only have maybe 100 nights in the Sierra's. 60 or so in the Chilkat Mountains. 6 days in a tent on Mount Fairweather. I have only done the Presidential Traverse three times in the winter. Two winter ascends of Mount Whitney. There's more but who cares?
I know that I'll pass on the Mountain Hardware offerings.
Suitable for car camping

[Linked Image]

No reason to get butt hurt Captain...

Obviously one of you is a beginner. And it ain't Brad........
FWIW I just picked up a MH Sifter 2. Seems like a pretty good tent for the money. Paperwork says it's 4lb 14oz but I didn't weight it yet.

Yup, that's me. Rank beginner.

Glad you picked up on it... smile
Brad, We’ll all bring you along slowly to this hunt game, being it’s your first rodeo...chuckle 😎
Suitable for car camping

[Linked Image]

Yeah, we see many noobs who blame their poor buying decisions on manufacturers or poor routefinding decisions on their maps. Now that you've gotten your beginner's experiences done, come out to the North Cascades in winter. Let us know where you'll be attempting to get to and we'll be ready to haul you back out OR transport you home to your relatives.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Brad, We’ll all bring you along slowly to this hunt game, being it’s your first rodeo...chuckle 😎

Thanks man, I need a lot of help with all this huntin' and backpackin' stuff grin
You should check out Pnuma gear.
Suitable for car camping

[Linked Image]

Yeah, we see many noobs who blame their poor buying decisions on manufacturers or poor routefinding decisions on their maps. Now that you've gotten your beginner's experiences done, come out to the North Cascades in winter. Let us know where you'll be attempting to get to and we'll be ready to haul you back out OR transport you home to your relatives.

Wasn't bought. I get lots of gear often. People know I put it to use. Hell I have a few real turds of tents. But they work well enough for when friends want to go camping, kayaking, whatever out of a car. I suppose you have never car camped oh mighty one.

Oh right the North Cascades frightening stuff. Rainier summer check, Baker both winter and summer check, Hood winter twice check, Adams summer twice check. None of which were anywhere near as challenging as Fairweather. But I am not guessing. Tell me about your Presidential Traverse, or maybe Ice Climbing at Lake Willoughby, Or Hyalite Canyon, or Ouray! I am very interested in hearing you're adventures.

Not that I need to defend Brad, But he knows a thing or two. Read his post, you might actually figure that out if you know anything at all. You just might learn a thing or two also.
Maybe you help me figure out how to use this gear.

[Linked Image]
Can you tell me what the names of these things are? Can't seem to find it on google.
Trying to learn about Mountain and Swift water Rescue. Maybe you can school me up?

[Linked Image]
Do you paddle much? Never car camped riverside?

[Linked Image]
Dude. That is perpen-dicular!!
I didn't pull off the flip in all fairness. Still trying to get it.
Maybe because I sleep in a Chitty tent car camping. I am headed to Walmart know to see what I can find.
Walmart sleeping bags are the schizzle.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Walmart sleeping bags are the schizzle.

I'll be sure to pick one up while I am there for the tent. All I have is Junk.

[Linked Image]
[b][/b]
Trying to learn about Mountain and Swift water Rescue. Maybe you can school me up?

[Linked Image]

You mean the ascender, rescue pulleys, figure 8 and locking biners that have NEVER been used???? EVER!

Your climbing rope still in the package...at the store?

You may want to change your name to MontanaCreekToeTag.

Yeah never used.

Tells about your adventures I am all ears. Laughing
Allen, how about you just sell all that gear and live a long, long life? Have you looked in the mirror, lately? You’re not a 155lb, long and lanky dude with spider monkey arms and fingers....You’re built more like a small defensive end. Heavy footed, thick, like someone who should stay firmly planted on solid, firm, TerraFirma. Unless you can fly bro, stay below 10k. Grins 😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Allen, how about you just sell all that gear and live a long, long life? Have you looked in the mirror, lately? You’re not a 155lb, long and lanky dude with spider monkey arms and fingers....You’re built more like a small defensive end. Heavy footed, thick, like someone who should stay firmly planted on solid, firm, TerraFirma. Unless you can fly bro, stay below 10k. Grins 😎

A long life means nothing to me if I can't Live! I am only 6'4" 245Lb. I have no interest in a boring life, I rather die doing what I love, rather then in a hospital or convalescent home bed.

Still waiting on all of Wannabe Joes stories.
I got no Indiana Jones Stories...I do know for a 1000% fact I will never be hanging off a rock with some type of apparatus holding me from a certain death below. Fugg that! Nobody home but us chickens....I did jump of out a plane once. That was cool.

Live large MCH! 👍🏻😎
Oopps.... I mistakenly looked at this thread hoping for tent info.....

Have at it guys. May the biggest internet dude win.
the OP has probably long run off smile but I can comment on a couple of MH tents he was inquiring about. I purchased a Ghost UL1, nice and light, but after a couple of nights I found it was simply to small for me (5'11")- if one is shorter, it would probably work. I sold the UL1 and purchased a UL2, much better room wise for only a slight hit in weight. Both tents are storm worthy and do a good job of buffeting wind- definitely not in the bomber category, but obviously at ~ 2 lbs- that's not going to happen.

for summer-shoulder seasons (minus completely deplorable above tree line conditions), these tents should serve someone pretty well; not a winter tent as I don't think it could handle high snow loads. also the UL2 is great for one person and in a pinch, two folks- like husband and wife two folks laugh

Hilleberg , Hilleberg , Hilleberg ….buy & cry once. Save pennies and forget about tent issues forever.

Lefty
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

Hilleberg , Hilleberg , Hilleberg ….buy & cry once. Save pennies and forget about tent issues forever.

Lefty

Yeah, they look pretty good. Quality. Bit heavy for their available space, especially the Black Label offerings, but am sure a good investment for their high cost.
I agree with lefty
Build quality and materials are way up there on Hilleberg

50% OFF SALE on tents, sleeping bags and packs at Mountain Hard Wear:

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/equipment-winter-sale/?pgsize=38

Lefty

I would take a Black Diamond Eldorado and more preferable the Fritzroy.
What, if anything, do you guys use for heat in the tents. I camp in mid season Oct/Nov and nights are cold, can't figure out a safe way to add some heat without fumes and condensation is an issue too. Just looking for ideas other than just clothing and bags. Wall tent or Prospector tent is obviously the way to go for a hunting camp but when its just 2 people its overkill
Originally Posted by Shoot2hunt
What, if anything, do you guys use for heat in the tents. I camp in mid season Oct/Nov and nights are cold, can't figure out a safe way to add some heat without fumes and condensation is an issue too. Just looking for ideas other than just clothing and bags. Wall tent or Prospector tent is obviously the way to go for a hunting camp but when its just 2 people its overkill

In this case Seek Outside Cimarron is perfect with stove jack
Cimarron is a great tent (as most of SO's lineup), but some folks have the wrong idea about a lightweight hot tent- the stoves are very light, but also very small- they are really meant to take the chill off in the evening/morning, help dry clothing, cook a meal, etc but it's unrealistic to think that it's going to keep you warm all night long. Simply too small of a wood box, you'd have to be feeding the stove all night long- which means not a lot of rest.

I love mine, but always plan on the proper rated sleep system for the expected weather.

Hot water bottle.

You can dry out a tent with a few minutes of running a canister stove inside WITH CONSTANT ATTENTION - with the tent doors or flaps, windows and vents O P E N .

NEVER run a stove in a sealed tent or enclosure...even if it is below zero...!
I love my eldorado. I need to get another one. Most other folks have shifted to those floorless Teepee structures but I sure like my Eldorado. I have used it for 15 years now. The zipper is getting funky but it is a great tent even if a bit small. I have taken it to some rough places. I do have an EV2 which is kind of like a little bit bigger BD Eldorado but somehow the BD vents better. I guess I should just belly up to the bar and get an Allak but I look at my old Eldorado and want another one.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I love my eldorado. I need to get another one. Most other folks have shifted to those floorless Teepee structures but I sure like my Eldorado. I have used it for 15 years now. The zipper is getting funky but it is a great tent even if a bit small. I have taken it to some rough places. I do have an EV2 which is kind of like a little bit bigger BD Eldorado but somehow the BD vents better. I guess I should just belly up to the bar and get an Allak but I look at my old Eldorado and want another one.

My ice climbing partner has the Allak. I am not that impressed. Don't get me wrong it is a good solid tent. I like both my Eldorado and Fritzroy better.
Biblers have not changed in decades, so they must be doing something good.
I recall when Bibler was just Bibler, before Black Diamond took over the brand.

For those that could use a bit more headroom and ventilation (that the Fitzroy or Eldorado)
and don't require the most extreme level of 4 season perfomance,..consider the rather versatile Ahwahnee

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/4-season-tent/black-diamond-ahwahnee
Originally Posted by Starman
Biblers have not changed in decades, so they must be doing something good.

For those that could use a bit more headroom and ventilation (that the Fitzroy or Eldorado)
and don't require mods extreme alpine performance against winds, etc...they could look at the
rather versatile Ahwahnee.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/4-season-tent/black-diamond-ahwahnee

I am 6'4" never seen it as an issue in the Fritzroy. The Eldorado is tight length wise. The Ahwahnee is a great tent as well.

Bibler have been making the Ahwahnee for a long time, clearly there remains a viable market for a higher headroom
and greater ventilation 4 season tent , than some of its other more restrictive models.
Originally Posted by Starman

Bibler have been making the Ahwahnee for a long time, clearly there remains a viable market for a higher headroom
and greater ventilation 4 season tent , than some of its other more restrictive models.

No doubt there is a bigger market for the Ahwahnee than the Fitzroy or Eldorado. But at altitude I'll take the shorter profile in the heavy winds. If it's just the need of a four season tent the Ahwahnee is the way to go. If Alpine climbing not so much in my opinion. Bibler sold to Black Diamond, my Fitzroy is a Bibler but my Eldorado and Bombshelter are BD. No tent is perfect for every application. But Black Diamond knew a good thing when they saw it, Was a great acquisition on their part.

Lefty

I would take a Black Diamond Eldorado and more preferable the Fritzroy.

Though I am a big fan of Hilleberg(Akto, Soulo, Jannu), I picked up an Eldorado on EBay last fall for a great price. It's a Bibler and came with a ground sheet and the optional vestibule. Not had a chance to use it yet, however.
Too many tents(rifles, bags, etc.) and not enough time these days!
In all fairness I know nothing about any ice camping. Or extreme weather anything. Are MSR tents any good?

Got this MSR ( I was told it is a Sentinel) tent for an song from what I can tell looking online. An acquaintance has a family member who works for MSR. Supposedly a prototype 4 season artic rated tent but I couldn’t swear to that. Weighs a bit over 5.5 #’s per my bathroom scale.

What I do know is that while elk hunting it slept damn well down to 13 degrees and snowing with only a subpar sleeping pad and a shïtty 5 degree bag. Was never wet or cold and really like it

[Linked Image]

If you never were cold or wet (yet), probably a good small tent for one person. MSR are usually rated highly.

"Snow" stakes for snow conditions. Ice screws for "ice" i.e. glaciers or "frozen" snow or old alpine snow.

Never neglect attaching guy wires to secure the tent in wind.

Water repellency can be restored by a *few* minutes (3-4) at L O W temps in the dryer. Check temp after one minute. REVIVE-X DWR is worth the extra effort. Dryer cure or 24 hours air dried set up in warm weather.

Good air mattress is a very good investment.
Big Sky Revolution 2P is a good, lightweight 3 season tent.

+1 on a good mattress for low temps ... I've liked Thermarest neoair xtherm (my current) or Xped downMat (warmer but slightly heavier).
this thread reminds me that I have a Skyledge 3 that I need to return to MH, due to the waterproofing peeling off.

I settled for a Luxe Hiking Megahorn with a Kifaru medium sized wood stove. This will work for a two man set up in colder hunts and they have inner tents to work in worse weather. I think they are a llttle better than Seek Outside and sure are a lot less expensive than Kifaru.

[Linked Image]

https://store.kifaru.net/box-stoves-stainless-steel-p87.aspx?Thread=True.

Here's mine,but I didn't have it all stretched out since I was alone and didn't need the room.

[Linked Image]

With stove set up

[Linked Image]

Although I am not a back packer, I have to keep all my gear ultra light so I can lift my panniers on to my mule
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I settled for a Luxe Hiking Megahorn I think they are a llttle better than Seek Outside and sure are a lot less expensive than Kifaru.

What do you think is better about the Luxe Hiking Megahorn? I wouldn't mind a side by side comparison. I have no experiance with the Luxe Hiking Megahorn.
https://youtu.be/llr2j9qJf70
I like the stove jack being more off center and all the ties that spread it out more. That snow flap can be tied down to keep the wind out and the snow if it does snow. Or during warm weather it can be tied up to let the breeze in.I also like the doors front and back.Overall it just seems better made than the Seek Outside I have been in. It is more of a nasty weather tent.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I like the stove jack being more off center and all the ties that spread it out more. That snow flap can be tied down to keep the wind out and the snow if it does snow. Or during warm weather it can be tied up to let the breeze in.I also like the doors front and back.Overall it just seems better made than the Seek Outside I have been in. It is more of a nasty weather tent.

Interesting. Thank you

I do like the stove jack off center as well, but I understand why some put it in the center, and on a big Tipi it makes more sense being centered to me. But on a small one for sure off center would be where I want it.
© 24hourcampfire