Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

Hilleberg , Hilleberg , Hilleberg ….buy & cry once. Save pennies and forget about tent issues forever.

Lefty

I would take a Black Diamond Eldorado and more preferable the Fritzroy.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What, if anything, do you guys use for heat in the tents. I camp in mid season Oct/Nov and nights are cold, can't figure out a safe way to add some heat without fumes and condensation is an issue too. Just looking for ideas other than just clothing and bags. Wall tent or Prospector tent is obviously the way to go for a hunting camp but when its just 2 people its overkill

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Shoot2hunt
What, if anything, do you guys use for heat in the tents. I camp in mid season Oct/Nov and nights are cold, can't figure out a safe way to add some heat without fumes and condensation is an issue too. Just looking for ideas other than just clothing and bags. Wall tent or Prospector tent is obviously the way to go for a hunting camp but when its just 2 people its overkill

In this case Seek Outside Cimarron is perfect with stove jack

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cimarron is a great tent (as most of SO's lineup), but some folks have the wrong idea about a lightweight hot tent- the stoves are very light, but also very small- they are really meant to take the chill off in the evening/morning, help dry clothing, cook a meal, etc but it's unrealistic to think that it's going to keep you warm all night long. Simply too small of a wood box, you'd have to be feeding the stove all night long- which means not a lot of rest.

I love mine, but always plan on the proper rated sleep system for the expected weather.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hot water bottle.

You can dry out a tent with a few minutes of running a canister stove inside WITH CONSTANT ATTENTION - with the tent doors or flaps, windows and vents O P E N .

NEVER run a stove in a sealed tent or enclosure...even if it is below zero...!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I love my eldorado. I need to get another one. Most other folks have shifted to those floorless Teepee structures but I sure like my Eldorado. I have used it for 15 years now. The zipper is getting funky but it is a great tent even if a bit small. I have taken it to some rough places. I do have an EV2 which is kind of like a little bit bigger BD Eldorado but somehow the BD vents better. I guess I should just belly up to the bar and get an Allak but I look at my old Eldorado and want another one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I love my eldorado. I need to get another one. Most other folks have shifted to those floorless Teepee structures but I sure like my Eldorado. I have used it for 15 years now. The zipper is getting funky but it is a great tent even if a bit small. I have taken it to some rough places. I do have an EV2 which is kind of like a little bit bigger BD Eldorado but somehow the BD vents better. I guess I should just belly up to the bar and get an Allak but I look at my old Eldorado and want another one.

My ice climbing partner has the Allak. I am not that impressed. Don't get me wrong it is a good solid tent. I like both my Eldorado and Fritzroy better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biblers have not changed in decades, so they must be doing something good.
I recall when Bibler was just Bibler, before Black Diamond took over the brand.

For those that could use a bit more headroom and ventilation (that the Fitzroy or Eldorado)
and don't require the most extreme level of 4 season perfomance,..consider the rather versatile Ahwahnee

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/4-season-tent/black-diamond-ahwahnee

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Starman
Biblers have not changed in decades, so they must be doing something good.

For those that could use a bit more headroom and ventilation (that the Fitzroy or Eldorado)
and don't require mods extreme alpine performance against winds, etc...they could look at the
rather versatile Ahwahnee.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/4-season-tent/black-diamond-ahwahnee

I am 6'4" never seen it as an issue in the Fritzroy. The Eldorado is tight length wise. The Ahwahnee is a great tent as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bibler have been making the Ahwahnee for a long time, clearly there remains a viable market for a higher headroom
and greater ventilation 4 season tent , than some of its other more restrictive models.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Starman

Bibler have been making the Ahwahnee for a long time, clearly there remains a viable market for a higher headroom
and greater ventilation 4 season tent , than some of its other more restrictive models.

No doubt there is a bigger market for the Ahwahnee than the Fitzroy or Eldorado. But at altitude I'll take the shorter profile in the heavy winds. If it's just the need of a four season tent the Ahwahnee is the way to go. If Alpine climbing not so much in my opinion. Bibler sold to Black Diamond, my Fitzroy is a Bibler but my Eldorado and Bombshelter are BD. No tent is perfect for every application. But Black Diamond knew a good thing when they saw it, Was a great acquisition on their part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

Hilleberg , Hilleberg , Hilleberg ….buy & cry once. Save pennies and forget about tent issues forever.

Lefty

I would take a Black Diamond Eldorado and more preferable the Fritzroy.

Though I am a big fan of Hilleberg(Akto, Soulo, Jannu), I picked up an Eldorado on EBay last fall for a great price. It's a Bibler and came with a ground sheet and the optional vestibule. Not had a chance to use it yet, however.
Too many tents(rifles, bags, etc.) and not enough time these days!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In all fairness I know nothing about any ice camping. Or extreme weather anything. Are MSR tents any good?

Got this MSR ( I was told it is a Sentinel) tent for an song from what I can tell looking online. An acquaintance has a family member who works for MSR. Supposedly a prototype 4 season artic rated tent but I couldn’t swear to that. Weighs a bit over 5.5 #’s per my bathroom scale.

What I do know is that while elk hunting it slept damn well down to 13 degrees and snowing with only a subpar sleeping pad and a shïtty 5 degree bag. Was never wet or cold and really like it

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you never were cold or wet (yet), probably a good small tent for one person. MSR are usually rated highly.

"Snow" stakes for snow conditions. Ice screws for "ice" i.e. glaciers or "frozen" snow or old alpine snow.

Never neglect attaching guy wires to secure the tent in wind.

Water repellency can be restored by a *few* minutes (3-4) at L O W temps in the dryer. Check temp after one minute. REVIVE-X DWR is worth the extra effort. Dryer cure or 24 hours air dried set up in warm weather.

Good air mattress is a very good investment.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Sky Revolution 2P is a good, lightweight 3 season tent.

+1 on a good mattress for low temps ... I've liked Thermarest neoair xtherm (my current) or Xped downMat (warmer but slightly heavier).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this thread reminds me that I have a Skyledge 3 that I need to return to MH, due to the waterproofing peeling off.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I settled for a Luxe Hiking Megahorn with a Kifaru medium sized wood stove. This will work for a two man set up in colder hunts and they have inner tents to work in worse weather. I think they are a llttle better than Seek Outside and sure are a lot less expensive than Kifaru.

[Linked Image]

https://store.kifaru.net/box-stoves-stainless-steel-p87.aspx?Thread=True.

Here's mine,but I didn't have it all stretched out since I was alone and didn't need the room.

[Linked Image]

With stove set up

[Linked Image]

Although I am not a back packer, I have to keep all my gear ultra light so I can lift my panniers on to my mule

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/20/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I settled for a Luxe Hiking Megahorn I think they are a llttle better than Seek Outside and sure are a lot less expensive than Kifaru.

What do you think is better about the Luxe Hiking Megahorn? I wouldn't mind a side by side comparison. I have no experiance with the Luxe Hiking Megahorn.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like the stove jack being more off center and all the ties that spread it out more. That snow flap can be tied down to keep the wind out and the snow if it does snow. Or during warm weather it can be tied up to let the breeze in.I also like the doors front and back.Overall it just seems better made than the Seek Outside I have been in. It is more of a nasty weather tent.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/20/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,662
Posts18,474,682
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.