Home
Posted By: paddlejon Ruger redhawk shoots high - 10/31/20
I have a Redhawk with the 5+” barrel. NIB. Shooting American Eagle 240 grain. Rear sight is screwed all the way down and the revolver still shoots about 5” high at 25yd

Holding the front sight even with the rear sight blade tops. Center of mass hold

Any help
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 10/31/20

How are you holding the revolver during recaoil
You might need a taller front sight.

How big are your groups?

Okie John
Just go to the Bowen Classic Arms sight and buy an extra height front Redhawk sight. Plain and simple and you want have to go through all these ignorant questions. Problem solved.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 10/31/20
Originally Posted by paddlejon
I have a Redhawk with the 5+” barrel. NIB. Shooting American Eagle 240 grain. Rear sight is screwed all the way down and the revolver still shoots about 5” high at 25yd

Holding the front sight even with the rear sight blade tops. Center of mass hold

Any help

From my experience with Redhawks they have plenty of front sight, but if you hold the gun loosely and the gun recoils very high the POI will be high
That is why elevation is different for hold you hold the pistol with different shooters
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 10/31/20
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Just go to the Bowen Classic Arms sight and buy an extra height front Redhawk sight. Plain and simple and you want have to go through all these ignorant questions. Problem solved.

This.
Thanks fellows.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Any help

From my experience with Redhawks they have plenty of front sight, but if you hold the gun loosely and the gun recoils very high the POI will be high
That is why elevation is different for hold you hold the pistol with different shooters

JWP45, I would agree with you and that was my concern. I made sure I had ‘er held tight with a rest (not on the barrel). Had others shoot it too, so I don’t know.

Glockdoofus — thanks and done
Posted By: McInnis Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/05/20
I just bought a new Blackhawk in .45 Colt last month, and same issue. Front site is too low. My gunsmith has it now. He’s going to try grinding down the top and notch of the rear sight.

Why is this so hard for Ruger to get right?
Posted By: EdM Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/06/20
Originally Posted by McInnis
I just bought a new Blackhawk in .45 Colt last month, and same issue. Front site is too low. My gunsmith has it now. He’s going to try grinding down the top and notch of the rear sight.

What load are you shooting?
Posted By: McInnis Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/06/20
To get it on the bullseye at 15 yds the load I used a 180 grain JHP with a max load of Blue Dot, and that was with the back sight screwed all the way down. Not exactly what I planned on shooting with that revolver. I first tried 300 grain. JSP bullets with the max load and it was about 8 inches high at that same range.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/06/20
Get a taller front sight and forget this list of hokey gimmicks.
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

Originally Posted by JackRyan
Get a taller front sight and forget this list of hokey gimmicks.

Exactly. Simple fix.

A gunsmith grinding down the rear sight before swapping out the front sight for a taller one tells me the gunsmith shouldn't be anywhere near that gun.

A gunsmith grinding down the rear sight before swapping out the front sight for a taller one tells me the gunsmith shouldn't be anywhere near that gun.

Sounds like a real shade tree hack to me.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/06/20

Any help

Aim low
Posted By: McInnis Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

When you make judgements about a guy without knowing more than that you’re likely to be wrong, and you are in this case. This guy builds highly accurate custom rifles including one he’s done for me. He’s just trying to find me a low cost solution. Replacing the front sight is going to mean re-bluing the barrel.

When you make judgements about a guy without knowing more than that you’re likely to be wrong, and you are in this case. This guy builds highly accurate custom rifles including one he’s done for me. He’s just trying to find me a low cost solution. Replacing the front sight is going to mean re-bluing the barrel.

You'll end up replacing the front sight anyway. You won't be able to "cut" away enough rear sight to get where you want to, if you are already having problems with the mid-weight bullets.

Book it. (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you seem to think that it's the first time around the block for guys on this forum. Your smith may be a great rifle guy, but that doesn't mean schit when it comes to handguns.)
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/07/20

He just doubled your cost, because now you will still need a taller front sight and a new rear sight as well

I had a great rifle Smith ruin a cylinder for me once

Some guys shouldn't own keyboards OR revolvers.
Posted By: TheDude Re: Ruger redhawk shoots high - 11/07/20
If it were me, I'd idiot check it with a few shots of some other ammo, then call Ruger and send it in. They'll fix it free of charge.
© 24hourcampfire