Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have a Redhawk with the 5+” barrel. NIB. Shooting American Eagle 240 grain. Rear sight is screwed all the way down and the revolver still shoots about 5” high at 25yd

Holding the front sight even with the rear sight blade tops. Center of mass hold

Any help

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How are you holding the revolver during recaoil

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
You might need a taller front sight.

How big are your groups?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just go to the Bowen Classic Arms sight and buy an extra height front Redhawk sight. Plain and simple and you want have to go through all these ignorant questions. Problem solved.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by paddlejon
I have a Redhawk with the 5+” barrel. NIB. Shooting American Eagle 240 grain. Rear sight is screwed all the way down and the revolver still shoots about 5” high at 25yd

Holding the front sight even with the rear sight blade tops. Center of mass hold

Any help

From my experience with Redhawks they have plenty of front sight, but if you hold the gun loosely and the gun recoils very high the POI will be high
That is why elevation is different for hold you hold the pistol with different shooters

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Just go to the Bowen Classic Arms sight and buy an extra height front Redhawk sight. Plain and simple and you want have to go through all these ignorant questions. Problem solved.

This.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks fellows.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Any help

From my experience with Redhawks they have plenty of front sight, but if you hold the gun loosely and the gun recoils very high the POI will be high
That is why elevation is different for hold you hold the pistol with different shooters

JWP45, I would agree with you and that was my concern. I made sure I had ‘er held tight with a rest (not on the barrel). Had others shoot it too, so I don’t know.

Glockdoofus — thanks and done

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I just bought a new Blackhawk in .45 Colt last month, and same issue. Front site is too low. My gunsmith has it now. He’s going to try grinding down the top and notch of the rear sight.

Why is this so hard for Ruger to get right?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by McInnis
I just bought a new Blackhawk in .45 Colt last month, and same issue. Front site is too low. My gunsmith has it now. He’s going to try grinding down the top and notch of the rear sight.

What load are you shooting?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
To get it on the bullseye at 15 yds the load I used a 180 grain JHP with a max load of Blue Dot, and that was with the back sight screwed all the way down. Not exactly what I planned on shooting with that revolver. I first tried 300 grain. JSP bullets with the max load and it was about 8 inches high at that same range.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a taller front sight and forget this list of hokey gimmicks.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

Originally Posted by JackRyan
Get a taller front sight and forget this list of hokey gimmicks.

Exactly. Simple fix.

A gunsmith grinding down the rear sight before swapping out the front sight for a taller one tells me the gunsmith shouldn't be anywhere near that gun.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A gunsmith grinding down the rear sight before swapping out the front sight for a taller one tells me the gunsmith shouldn't be anywhere near that gun.

Sounds like a real shade tree hack to me.

Last edited by whackem_stackem; 11/06/20.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Any help

Aim low

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

When you make judgements about a guy without knowing more than that you’re likely to be wrong, and you are in this case. This guy builds highly accurate custom rifles including one he’s done for me. He’s just trying to find me a low cost solution. Replacing the front sight is going to mean re-bluing the barrel.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

When you make judgements about a guy without knowing more than that you’re likely to be wrong, and you are in this case. This guy builds highly accurate custom rifles including one he’s done for me. He’s just trying to find me a low cost solution. Replacing the front sight is going to mean re-bluing the barrel.

You'll end up replacing the front sight anyway. You won't be able to "cut" away enough rear sight to get where you want to, if you are already having problems with the mid-weight bullets.

Book it. (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you seem to think that it's the first time around the block for guys on this forum. Your smith may be a great rifle guy, but that doesn't mean schit when it comes to handguns.)

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He just doubled your cost, because now you will still need a taller front sight and a new rear sight as well

I had a great rifle Smith ruin a cylinder for me once

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Some guys shouldn't own keyboards OR revolvers.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it were me, I'd idiot check it with a few shots of some other ammo, then call Ruger and send it in. They'll fix it free of charge.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (160user, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,233 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,543
Posts18,510,158
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.