Home
Friends,

I figured we could start a thread and repository in the same manner we did for the .44 Magnum and .44 Special. Only here we concentrate on the .32s. The 327 Magnum, .32 H&R, .32 ACP, or whichever you like.

In the last year or so I have been hit up with a good number of requests for .327 Magnum and .32 H&R ammo. The only problem was I didn't make any. Plus didn't own any guns chambered in such cartridges. The same thing happened previously in reference to the .41 Magnum. One of the guys here, RJM1952 ended up sending out a gun and after a lot of waiting for components and other delays I was able to start making ammo.

Kind of the same thing happened here. I didn't own anything in .32. Along comes Bob and someone in the gun industry. Bob shipped out a 4" Ruger GP100 in .327 Magnum. Another person shipped out a Ruger LCR. So I bought a bunch of stuff to load with and the appropriate components.

After some testing, the final load was low recoil .32 H&R, 100 grain poly-cote full wadcutter.

At 25 yards with irons it shoots quite well, though I am going to have to out a red dot on to really get the most out of it, as my eyes just don't see iron sights like they used to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Recoil is pretty much non existent in the GP100.

Switching to the LCR I was not as accurate with the tiny sights, but for 25 yards I won't complain.

I have been looking at some Single Sevens on Gunbroker and elsewhere.

I recall reading about Idaho 1945 plugging Rockchucks, and maybe a badger (not 100% sure on my memory on the badger part) with a .327 here.

Lot of cool stuff out there on both ends of the spectrum. You have very low recoil, 6 shot pocket guns with .32 H&R wadcutters, and some smoking fast .327 mag loads that are getting some pretty impressive numbers on the other end.

cool
I've been a fanboy of .32's for about 40 years now. Currently have, shoot, and load for: 2 Colt Police Positives, one 1960's vintage Colt Police Positive Special, a S&W M1903 Hand Ejector 4th variation, and a pre-war Colt Officer's Model is on its way here - all in .32 S&W Long. Add to that a 1922-vintage Colt Army Special 6" .32-20 which I feed the same bullets to.

I've owned but one .32H&R Magnum, in an early Ruger Single Six. It was ok but more "sturm und drang" than I like in a little carefree .32, so I horse traded it for an Orvis bamboo fly rod.

I cast a range of bullets from wadcutters to RN's and SWC's, 90-115gr. and always relatively soft - 1:20 tin:lead mostly, and 1:30 for the wadcutters. The .32-20 gets its bullets shot a fair bit hotter than the others but still with 1:20 alloy. (The trick is to match bullet diameters to throat diameters regardless of bore groove diameters, and pray that your throats are the larger dimension of the two. Do that and "hard cast bullets" are irrelevant.)
H&R

[Linked Image]
I only have one that I actually shoot. But it’s a dandy, S&W 16-4 32H&R.

I load it with either a 95gr Cramer SWC that is very blunt and would probably be a great hunting bullet due to the big flat nose, or the RCBS 98gr SWC. The RCBS shoots great to way out there, but lacks the large flat on its nose that I like in a hunting bullet. The Cramer seems to drop off in the accuracy department past about 75 yards, could just be me but I seem to get random flyers with it I don’t get with the other bullet.

I cast both out of wheel weight metal, size .314, and lube with White Label BAC. Whatever SPP I have on the rack under either 5.5gr of AA5 or 6.0gr of Power Pistol. Been a while since I checked velocity but I seem to recall the AA5 load going around 1100 and the PP load doing a hair over 1200 out of my 6”.

The 16-4 is a fantastic revolver, K frame size so comfortably packable, smooth action, accurate with loads it likes, and the recoil of a rimfire. I would have no issue shooting a deer with it under the right conditions. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Here are a few of my 32's, 327's & 32/20's. These are great guns, low recoil, very accurate & a pound of powder goes a long way. I shoot nothing but powder coated cast & it works well for me.
I only have one .32, and it's the .32 S&W, NOT the Long, the older one. It's an Iver Johnson that I inherited, never shot it, didn't even know Mom had it. I think it's an old blackpowder-framed gun, at that. It's kinda neat, but not worth a dollar a shot for factory ammo to try it out. Seems pretty fragile, but it's intact and it functions in dry fire.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/B84EuSVh.mp4[/img]
Always had a soft spot for the 32 caliber. Had a nice accurate Ruger Single Six 32, shot the 32 in the centerfire legs of Bullseye matches in my Euro guns and still have a little early S&W model 31 I-frame 32 long and a never fired S&W model 16 unfired in box. Why the 32, other than the early 32-40 and 32-20’s lost favor I really don’t understand cause the 32’s are accurate, low recoil and at around 100 grs have enough weight to take rabbits, in close coyotes etc. My experience and others who shoot them love them. Did I say they aren’t loud.

Rick
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Someone's ferret?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Someone's ferret?
LOL! He blew the ears right off that kitty cat!
With full bore 327 ammo, the handguns are pretty obnoxious. For SD loads, I load down to 32 H&R mag velocities. I have loaded some full bore Swift A-Frames for the rifle. I have yet to do any kind of expansion and penetration testing with them, but I have a hunch they will do well at both at rifle velocities. For plinking I have landed at loads that fall in between the H&R and S&W pushing a Sierra 90 grain JHC. The lead in that bullet is soft and deforms during seating, but the loads are as accurate as I am, so I am not worried about it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ha! Was suppose to be another photo of Bob, don't know how it ended up being my tailgate!! He's real handy in double action mode, trust me.

Dick

I need more action shots, but this is the King sighted Colt dirty, at the range.

Ha! Was suppose to be another photo of Bob, don't know how it ended up being my tailgate!! He's real handy in double action mode, trust me.

Dick

I don't think I have ever seen him shoot in SA with a revolver. Bob informed me, "If you are going to learn to shoot a handgun, you have to get a DA. A few weeks later, I came home with a 6 inch 657.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two single sevens in 4 5/8 inch, One of which now lives with my oldest Grandson. An LCR, a 4.2 inch SP101, and the Henry big boy. The SP and one SS are tuned. That SS has been fitted with a front "Firesight".

I load a 120 gr PC cast over as much H110 (12.3 gr) as I can fit under the bullet without compression. Bob's advice, which has held well for me, H110/W296 works best with the bullet sitting right on the powder. No air space.

This load is unpleasant in the LCR. It is stiff in the SP 101. The single sevens tame this load well. The Ruger Blackhawk would be a pussycat to shoot with anything you can put in a 32 caliber case.

There are some great guns pictured in this thread. As well as the picture of the guy who led so many of us to water and smiled as we drank.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Friends,

I figured we could start a thread and repository in the same manner we did for the .44 Magnum and .44 Special. Only here we concentrate on the .32s. The 327 Magnum, .32 H&R, .32 ACP, or whichever you like.

In the last year or so I have been hit up with a good number of requests for .327 Magnum and .32 H&R ammo. The only problem was I didn't make any. Plus didn't own any guns chambered in such cartridges. The same thing happened previously in reference to the .41 Magnum. One of the guys here, RJM1952 ended up sending out a gun and after a lot of waiting for components and other delays I was able to start making ammo.

Kind of the same thing happened here. I didn't own anything in .32. Along comes Bob and someone in the gun industry. Bob shipped out a 4" Ruger GP100 in .327 Magnum. Another person shipped out a Ruger LCR. So I bought a bunch of stuff to load with and the appropriate components.

After some testing, the final load was low recoil .32 H&R, 100 grain poly-cote full wadcutter.

At 25 yards with irons it shoots quite well, though I am going to have to out a red dot on to really get the most out of it, as my eyes just don't see iron sights like they used to.

Switching to the LCR I was not as accurate with the tiny sights, but for 25 yards I won't complain.

I recall reading about Idaho 1945 plugging Rockchucks, and maybe a badger (not 100% sure on my memory on the badger part) with a .327 here.

Lot of cool stuff out there on both ends of the spectrum. You have very low recoil, 6 shot pocket guns with .32 H&R wadcutters, and some smoking fast .327 mag loads that are getting some pretty impressive numbers on the other end.

cool

Are you selling those 32 loads?
Gotta get this little gem out and shoot it more. I love to shoot it, it's a tack driver and it spanks rabbits soundly.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Traded in the tailgate for the double action master, he was taking ground squirrels out to 50 yds. The fat ones are maybe 3" wide at the bottom.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/RykTZCYh.mp4[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/RykTZCYh.mp4[/img]

Dick
Wow that's the biggest hollow point I've ever seen in a bullet.
Looks like a fun gun.

Hal
The P32 is my favorite pistol. I see no point carrying big guns chambered for .32 caliber. If one likes revolvers .327 SP, LCR, or J frame would be sweet guns.
Originally Posted by jwp475
Friends,

cool

Are you selling those 32 loads?

Not quite yet, but will be eventually here.

I knew there were a good number of .32 shooters, but for whatever reason it seems to be one of those fun little guns that doesn't get mentioned as much as others.

Obviously it makes a pretty smoking good small game gun.
Here are a few of my 32's, 327's & 32/20's. These are great guns, low recoil, very accurate & a pound of powder goes a long way. I shoot nothing but powder coated cast & it works well for me.

Tell us about the Pronghorn Dick!

And the others too.. smile
Originally Posted by HawkI

If my research is correct that's a pretty rare bird right there. Nice revolver, very nice revolver.
Thanks!

Yeah, they are kinda rare, but they are out there.

Pre-war Smiths are even rarer, to the point I don't think most of us have ever seen one!
Originally Posted by irfubar

That speaks to me. What are the grips?
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I'm going to guess mammoth ivory.

I'm going to guess mammoth ivory.

Guys, I am almost ashamed to admit, they are Ebay Faux aged ivory... I too was taken in by the looks... I like them
Been a fan for years. This one resides in Idaho.

These here in Texas.

Playing with some old Lett's grips.

A different trio.

He got a 32 gun in his pocket for fun. He got a razor in his shoe.....
Guys, I am almost ashamed to admit, they are Ebay Faux aged ivory... I too was taken in by the looks... I like them

And that is why I did not guess. They make some gorgeous stuff these days.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in that revolver.

I have also seen some attractive grips built from giraffe bone.
Another one of my regrets. I failed to acquire one of those bisley single sevens when they were available cheap. I bought a SS bisley single six to use the parts to convert the single seven shown above. My gunsmith advised me after the attempt, the parts were not quite compatible.
The first gun in the photo is my 8 shot Blackhawk 327 & a very dead rock chuck taken with the 116 gr GC HP & a hefty charge of H110. Second photo is the same gun with some ground squirrels, I made the stocks out of Amboyna Burl.
The third photo is my 32 magnum single six shooting the RCBS 100 gr swc over 3.0 grs of WST, runs about 950 fps, very accurate & minimal recoil. Then the same gun along with my Buckeye 32/20 that also has a 32 magnum cylinder. Built on the Blackhawk frame, when using the 32 magnum cylinder you almost....almost have to look down the barrel to make sure the bullet is gone. Do NOT do this!
Ermine with the 32/20 Buckeye & the 116 gr HP, this is a very fast load, could be used for deer with the heavy 135 gr bullet. These Ermine are called Weasels in the summer.
Big rock chuck, taken with the 8 shot 327 Blackhawk & the 116 gr GC HP. Utah depredation antelope taken at 74 yds with the 8 shot Blackhawk & the 135 gr Ferminator GC HP. Even though this is a HP it is a long shank bullet & holds up very well on game. The antelope was down in 10-15 yds & complete penetration.
Grouse with the single six 32 magnum & 3.0 grs of WST, very little meat damage with this load, you can eat the bullet hole. Blackhawk 32/20 target at 25 yds, extremely accurate with a cheap 1X4 scope. Shootist, limited edition edition Single Seven 327 with stag horn stocks, gun is reworked by Bobby Tyler of Friona, Texas, shoots better than I can.
S&W 4" 16-4 in 32 magnum & combat stocks, scary accurate with either the 100 gr RCBS or a 100 gr plain base HP. 5.5 grs of WST makes it whistle Dixie!! S&W 32 Long 5 shot pocket gun. The double action master, Bob with my 8 shot 38 Super & 128 gr HP's, had to wrestle it away from him, he's a snake shooting it double action. Here's Bob with a Rock Chuck with the 16-4.

Dick
I would love to hear more about the 8 shot 38 Super. I think Bob is purposely hiding it, maybe he thinks it wants to live on the East Coast.
I had one of these 38 Supers the first year they came out, can't remember when that was but it's been probably 20 years ago & it would not shoot anything I put in it. And I stayed with it for a long time, Bob told me he had one & had the same problem, they just would not shoot. Both of us got rid of them. I also had one in an 8 shot 357 on the N frame.
Then I found this one about 5 years ago & took a chance on it, knowing the history of them, at least some of them. This one is a real hummer with just about any load I feed it. A good cast bullet, sized a bit larger than my 1911's is the trick & it sings like Sinatra! I think it took 3-4 rounds of boxing to get it back from Bob.

Dick
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Baddest man in the whole damn town.
A change of pace, a brace of auto's in 32ACP. Savage and Colt

Attached picture triple 32's, Savage and Colt b.jpg
My one and only 32 . Local auction pickup basically because I had a couple boxes of ammo for one. Old school Smith hand ejector from around 1900[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Troutnut
My one and only 32 . Local auction pickup basically because I had a couple boxes of ammo for one. Old school Smith hand ejector from around 1900[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've got one like that, too. Bought it like ten years ago, maybe more. I was amazed at how affordable it was, considering it was in pretty nice shape for a pre-war S&W revolver. I suspect it was its chambering that kept the price so reasonable. Not sure if that situation is still the norm, though. I haven't priced them, recently.
Those little M1903 Hand Ejectors are jewels.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
I've got one like that, too. Bought it like ten years ago, maybe more. I was amazed at how affordable it was, considering it was in pretty nice shape for a pre-war S&W revolver. I suspect it was its chambering that kept the price so reasonable. Not sure if that situation is still the norm, though. I haven't priced them, recently.
I'm in this one for a little over a Benjamin and a half. Not sure the going rate to be honest. I had already won a couple guns on that auction so I figured why not one more.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Those little M1903 Hand Ejectors are jewels.
It really is a nice little pistol. This one has been reblued but for what I have in it I'm happy with it
I've got two 32's. A mod 16 S&W in 32 long and a 1917 Savage semi Auto, in 32 S&W. Don't shoot handgun's a lot but this Mod 16 is about my favorite handgun ever. Shoot 95 gr cast bullet's when I do shoot it and always though it would be a great rabbit gun. Don't shoot the Savage much. Like DA revolver's as they don't throw the fired case's on the ground. Hard to find those little 32 short case's laying on the ground and seem's finding reloadable 32 case's of anykind was a chore. Keep telling myself I'd like to go rabbit hunting with the mod 16. Very low recoil and for me shoothing a handgun, and pertty darn accurate. And of course it doesn't throw fired case's away on me. After getting the mod 16 I always though something like a Ruger bolt action in 32 long would really be a cool small game rifle. maybe a 22/77 rebarreled but probably couldn't afford to have it made. Had the 32 S&W out plinking one time with I think it was 77gr cast bullet's. Shooting into a down old dead juniper tree at about ten yards, the bullet's were bouncing off and coming back and hitting me, weird feeling!
While on the subject of 32s.

327 brass is not available anywhere I have looked. But Grafs has 32 H&R mag in stock in brass and nickle at 25 cents each. I just ordered 500 of the nickle to help keep them separate from 327 brass.

Christmas present for the Grand son with the single seven. Then he can come over and learn how to load them.
While on the subject of 32s.

327 brass is not available anywhere I have looked. But Grafs has 32 H&R mag in stock in brass and nickle at 25 cents each. I just ordered 500 of the nickle to help keep them separate from 327 brass.

Christmas present for the Grand son with the single seven. Then he can come over and learn how to load them.

327 brass has been unicorn farts for quite a while... last time I caught some was from Graf was a year or two ago, and they had "A" bag when I ordered. 😞

As often as they've had 32L and 32 H&R in stock, I keep hoping Starline drops another batch of 327 soon, but no dice yet. I'm set for life on the other two, but pretty short on 327.
In my search, Starline USA came up with a damned good replica of the Starline logo. Everything including 327 is in stock, just send us the cash.

Beware, sometimes it is hard to know who is on the other end of a websearch.
32H&R is my favorite handgun cartridge. It's not too big and not too small for my usual needs.

Currently I have a Bisley, a 432PD, a single six, a 4"SP101 and a Charter Arms Professional.
The wife has her 4" S&W 32H&R that I'm not allowed to touch..

They usually get fed cast DEWC or 100gr SWC but the jacketed hollow points get some time too.

I modified a seating die so the Sierra HP doesn't deform but the Hornady XTP doesn't need special treatment.

I wish Lehigh still made their Extreme Defense and Extreme Penetrator but a DEWC is formidable for making straight line holes.

I'll try to get a picture up later today.
Lehigh recently brought back the 95XD. I was pretty happy since I was using those in both 32 H&R and 327 before they cut them.

https://lehighdefense.com/reloading-bullets/xtreme-defense.html
Ya, they list them but I haven't seen any for 2 years since Wilson Combat bought them.

I'll keep looking!!
You can buy them straight from the Lehigh website.
The first gun in the photo is my 8 shot Blackhawk 327 & a very dead rock chuck taken with the 116 gr GC HP & a hefty charge of H110. Second photo is the same gun with some ground squirrels, I made the stocks out of Amboyna Burl.
The third photo is my 32 magnum single six shooting the RCBS 100 gr swc over 3.0 grs of WST, runs about 950 fps, very accurate & minimal recoil. Then the same gun along with my Buckeye 32/20 that also has a 32 magnum cylinder. Built on the Blackhawk frame, when using the 32 magnum cylinder you almost....almost have to look down the barrel to make sure the bullet is gone. Do NOT do this!
Ermine with the 32/20 Buckeye & the 116 gr HP, this is a very fast load, could be used for deer with the heavy 135 gr bullet. These Ermine are called Weasels in the summer.
Big rock chuck, taken with the 8 shot 327 Blackhawk & the 116 gr GC HP. Utah depredation antelope taken at 74 yds with the 8 shot Blackhawk & the 135 gr Ferminator GC HP. Even though this is a HP it is a long shank bullet & holds up very well on game. The antelope was down in 10-15 yds & complete penetration.
Grouse with the single six 32 magnum & 3.0 grs of WST, very little meat damage with this load, you can eat the bullet hole. Blackhawk 32/20 target at 25 yds, extremely accurate with a cheap 1X4 scope. Shootist, limited edition edition Single Seven 327 with stag horn stocks, gun is reworked by Bobby Tyler of Friona, Texas, shoots better than I can.
S&W 4" 16-4 in 32 magnum & combat stocks, scary accurate with either the 100 gr RCBS or a 100 gr plain base HP. 5.5 grs of WST makes it whistle Dixie!! S&W 32 Long 5 shot pocket gun. The double action master, Bob with my 8 shot 38 Super & 128 gr HP's, had to wrestle it away from him, he's a snake shooting it double action. Here's Bob with a Rock Chuck with the 16-4.

Dick

Great writeup Dick.

There cannot be a whole lot of people who can say that they have taken game like speed goats with a .327. That is impressive. All the others as well.
I know I have bugged you about the .32 H&R a few times. I should have sent you my S&W 16-4 with a 4” barrel to try out but it is too much fun to send off. It is my only .32 at the moment but I plan on getting a snub nose .32 H&R for my wife to carry

Originally Posted by zcm82
You can buy them straight from the Lehigh website.
Holy Smokes, you're right!!

Thanks a bunch!
No problem, that's where I got my last batch of them.

*added*

They've waffled back and forth between selling them direct and only through retailers several times the past few years.
Bob just sent me a link for Starline 327 brass, which I will not use since I just ordered 500 32 mag from Grafs.

327 brass:https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=STL&i=327F
Great prices on Taurus 327s. Vendor is GTG! No tax outside AL and $20 shipping. $266 for blued and $295 for stainless. I shot mine for the first time today and loved it. The short trigger travel (compared to my SP101 trigger travel) is fantastic.

https://www.familyfirearms.com/product-search-results?search_text=taurus+327&from_form=true
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Baddest man in the whole damn town.

And from another generation:

Got a .38 special and it does very well
Got a 32-20 now, it's a burning hell

Dick

I don't think I have ever seen him shoot in SA with a revolver. Bob informed me, "If you are going to learn to shoot a handgun, you have to get a DA. A few weeks later, I came home with a 6 inch 657.

Hah! My story mirrors yours, Dick. He is such an "influencer". I told him a couple days ago I really don't need to buy any more guns.. except a blued Model 57. From his influence, had already bought a 657 4" and a 657 6". Great guns.

LOL.

Dick

Great writeup Dick.

There cannot be a whole lot of people who can say that they have taken game like speed goats with a .327. That is impressive. All the others as well.

+1
There was a time back in my USPSA days that all I did was double action revolver with a 610 S&W. At one time I did 90,000 over a 2 year period, if that sounds like a lot, it was. But Todd Jarrett did 100,000 in 6 months getting ready for the world championships so my small amount pales compared to his.
Also in USPSA you are kind of slapping the trigger because you are running the cylinder so fast, when Bob shoots, it's very deliberate & calculated......and accurate way out there, did I say way out there.
Way out there? My Bushnell Laser said he was hitting badger mounds at 600 and 700 yds with a 4 inch model 57. I hit a few also, but I used (a lot) more of the cylinder to get them on target. I was using my 7.5 inch SBH hunter in 41 mag.

Good Times!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Great prices on Taurus 327s. Vendor is GTG! No tax outside AL and $20 shipping. $266 for blued and $295 for stainless. I shot mine for the first time today and loved it. The short trigger travel (compared to my SP101 trigger travel) is fantastic.

https://www.familyfirearms.com/product-search-results?search_text=taurus+327&from_form=true
Crap Paul. That is less than half the price of a Ruger LCR. Could ALMOST hand them out as Christmas presents. Great stocking stuffers for the kiddies.
Buds has the LCR for $632....$650 on a card.
Bob just sent me a link for Starline 327 brass, which I will not use since I just ordered 500 32 mag from Grafs.

327 brass:https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=STL&i=327F

Thank you! Just ordered a couple bags.

I had forgotten about that place. I got some 300 Savage brass from them one time, but that was several years ago.

Crap Paul. That is less than half the price of a Ruger LCR. Could ALMOST hand them out as Christmas presents. Great stocking stuffers for the kiddies.
Buds has the LCR for $632....$650 on a card.

They are pretty stout little revolvers. Not lightweights by any stretch. I suppose I have normal size hands, and they fit very well. The blued one is kind of a matte finish, that some have said is a rust magnet. The stainless ones weren't out when I bought mine or I would have gone with a stainless.
There was a time back in my USPSA days that all I did was double action revolver with a 610 S&W. At one time I did 90,000 over a 2 year period, if that sounds like a lot, it was. But Todd Jarrett did 100,000 in 6 months getting ready for the world championships so my small amount pales compared to his.
Also in USPSA you are kind of slapping the trigger because you are running the cylinder so fast, when Bob shoots, it's very deliberate & calculated......and accurate way out there, did I say way out there.

That is a whole lot. Likely more than I will shoot with all guns over the course of my life.
3 of my 5. The missing are the single six and the 4" SP101, my favorite..In the back of the safe somewhere.
These are the 432PD, the Ruger Bisley and the Charter Arms Professional.
A nice little pocket gun that weighs next to nothing.

Attached picture 331 w VanHoy.jpg

Dick

Great writeup Dick.

That is impressive. Had to do a double take on that pic.
Never had one in .32ACP, but I do have an SP101 in .32 H&R and a Freedom Arms in .327 Federal.. I think the latter could light a Weber at 20 paces.. laugh laugh

Got the Ruger for my wife who - with her RN issues - cannot tolerate any stiffer recoil than that.. Handy little revolver though.
I don't shoot it much, but I always liked this K frame 32-20.
The other 3 32 H&R revolvers.
A single six my father in law used for cowboy action
a 4" SP101 and the 3" SP101. My idea of the perfect Kit Gun!
118 year old Colt New Police in .32 Colt--very rare 2.5" model.

Here is a single six that I changed the grip on. My buddy talked me out of it before I shot this way. I really liked
The feel though
After a setback or two, I finally was able to get a few of these up and available.

100 grain Poly Coat wadcutters in .32 H&R.

They are in the classifieds if anyone wants some ammo for their little blasters!

Like shooting a .22 Magnum recoil wise.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...55018/32-h-r-mag-wadcutters#Post18955018

This should be some outstanding 327 ammo & it would be fast handling in double action mode.
I just picked up a Colt Pocket Positive this past summer it shoots nice with factory loads ànd I got set up to reload.for.it. Anyone have experienced with the Charter Arms 3" 32?
This should be some outstanding 327 ammo & it would be fast handling in double action mode.

Thanks Idaho1945.

For someone who wants a 6 shot low recoil pocket revolver (versus 5 shots in a .38 Special J Frame), I think this would be a very good option. I have enjoyed shooting this ammo in the Ruger LCR. Quite a difference in recoil between a regular .38 Special load and the .32 WCs.
After a setback or two, I finally was able to get a few of these up and available.

They are in the classifieds if anyone wants some ammo for their little blasters!

Mackay, what does the polycoat do? Does it help prevent leading?
Trade anyone? Surprisingly easy to hit with.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
It is impossible to go wrong with a P32. I would trade that toward Gen 2 model. If certain parts break in original P32 you will end up with light paperweight.
I do not think you will have takers here.
The senior commandos on here need big gun with longer barrel so they can protect farmlands from terrorist attacks.

With those ballistics I would choose .38S&W due to more advanced revolver available in this caliber. These were made in large numbers, therefore, are not hard to find on used market. The revolver in question is Webley & Scott .38/200. Modern loads are 146gr? Instead of original 200gr bullets. The revolver in question is well balanced, has excellent DA/SA trigger pulls, excellent sights, automatic ejection and very easy to manipulate top-break action (right-handed person can easily open revolver one-handed w/o adjusting grip).
Originally Posted by Slavek

With those ballistics I would choose .38S&W due to more advanced revolver available in this caliber. These were made in large numbers, therefore, are not hard to find on used market. .

Has it occurred to you that he is making the ammo for people who own 32 caliber guns, not people shopping for guns?
Paul,

There are a number of reasons why poly-coat bullets are a good option.

They do not require a lubricant applied to the bullet, like a traditional lead/hardcast bullet. The lubricant is a big part of what produces smoke when you shoot hardcast bullets, therefore they smoke MUCH less.

PC bullets create a jacket over the lead bullet inside and can be fired in handguns that traditionally recommend against lead bullet use (like Glocks).

Typically you can get better velocities with a load, using a Poly-Coated projectile, versus a similar hardcast one, or one that is jacketed. The "slippery" polymer coating allows you to achieve faster speeds, with less pressure, than metal jacketed, or traditional hard cast bullets.

And yes, to answer your question it "can" prevent leading, but leading generally is more of an issue of a projectile that is of the wrong composition (the alloy hardness is wrong) or does not properly fit the bore size. Or the gun/barrel itself has issues.

Hope that helps
Originally Posted by Slavek

With those ballistics I would choose .38S&W due to more advanced revolver available in this caliber. These were made in large numbers, therefore, are not hard to find on used market. .

Has it occurred to you that he is making the ammo for people who own 32 caliber guns, not people shopping for guns?

Paul,

Maser (slavek) just makes intentionally baited statements to get someone/anyone to respond. He knows what he is saying is completely wrong, does not believe what he is saying, does not own any of the guns he is talking about, etc. It is purely to get a rise and a reaction out of people. When you see his posts, just skip right over them like most here do, and ignore them, as Maser is just a mentally ill weirdo.
The 32 H&R is an outstanding jframes snub cartridge. Great cartridge all around.
Paul,

There are a number of reasons why poly-coat bullets are a good option.

They do not require a lubricant applied to the bullet, like a traditional lead/hardcast bullet. The lubricant is a big part of what produces smoke when you shoot hardcast bullets, therefore they smoke MUCH less.

PC bullets create a jacket over the lead bullet inside and can be fired in handguns that traditionally recommend against lead bullet use (like Glocks).

Typically you can get better velocities with a load, using a Poly-Coated projectile, versus a similar hardcast one, or one that is jacketed. The "slippery" polymer coating allows you to achieve faster speeds, with less pressure, than metal jacketed, or traditional hard cast bullets.

And yes, to answer your question it "can" prevent leading, but leading generally is more of an issue of a projectile that is of the wrong composition (the alloy hardness is wrong) or does not properly fit the bore size. Or the gun/barrel itself has issues.

Hope that helps

Thanks Mackay.
Originally Posted by smallfry
The 32 H&R is an outstanding jframes snub cartridge. Great cartridge all around.

Reference J Frames.

You get 6 rounds, versus 5. In addition to a lower recoiling round. Now in part, that can be minimized with specialty rounds like the .38 Short Colt like I offer, but aside from custom offerings, which people generally do not know about, most people are relegated to harder recoiling standard, big box store ammo. The typical box store ammo kicks fairly hard in a .38 Snubby.

Some people who have hand issues due to age, arthritis, physical size, etc, may choose to go with a rimfire, such as a .22 LR, or .22 Magnum. What most don't know, and soon discover is that on rimfire revolvers they use substantially heavier actions springs to ensure the ammo will fire. Many people have a very difficult time with the heavy rimfire DA trigger pulls on J frames.

On a .32 H&R or .327 Mag, you get added capacity (5 of .38 Special vs 6 of .32 Mag), as well as the lighter trigger pull, and better reliability of a centerfire cartridge.

For a snubby, they make a lot of sense for a good number of people.

Reference J Frames.

You get 6 rounds, versus 5. In addition to a lower recoiling round. Now in part, that can be minimized with specialty rounds like the .38 Short Colt like I offer, but aside from custom offerings, which people generally do not know about, most people are relegated to harder recoiling standard, big box store ammo. The typical box store ammo kicks fairly hard in a .38 Snubby.

Some people who have hand issues due to age, arthritis, physical size, etc, may choose to go with a rimfire, such as a .22 LR, or .22 Magnum. What most don't know, and soon discover is that on rimfire revolvers they use substantially heavier actions springs to ensure the ammo will fire. Many people have a very difficult time with the heavy rimfire DA trigger pulls on J frames.

On a .32 H&R or .327 Mag, you get added capacity (5 of .38 Special vs 6 of .32 Mag), as well as the lighter trigger pull, and better reliability of a centerfire cartridge.

MS, thanks for the explanation. This /\ is what has taken me years to figure out what the allure was to the .32 H&R. I could see the plinking/small game round aspect but not the self defense argument when the .38 spcl has been around for so long. A definite step up from the .22 mag without the recoil of the .38.
Mackay, are you going to build any wadcutter loads for the 32-20?

Reference J Frames.

Well put. I went that path starting 40 years ago with a Colt Police Positive .32 snubbie, a "Dick's Special". .32 S&W Longs loaded hot as I dared (most assuredly too hot for a flimsy break-open Saturday Night Special) and either 98 grain SWC's or WC's. It definitely outclassed a rimfire handgun but without the sturm und drang of .38's in that small package. Nowadays I don't look at such stuff with self defense in mind, just like .32's for regular old target shooting/plinking.

Latest .32 mold added to the half dozen or so others I have is the Accurate Molds #311-105T (illustrated in their online catalog). Its a 105 grain bullet (cast from 1:20 alloy), round nose-shaped ogive with a wide flat meplat, .314" out of the mold which allows its use as-cast in several of my .32's and .32-20 and is easily sized to .312-.313" for the others. Works a charm in both .32-20's and .32 Longs. If limited to but one mold for .32's this would be it. (I'm not actively looking for a handgun in .32 Mag, I figure the .32-20 cartridge fills that bill ok.)

Reference J Frames.

Well put. I went that path starting 40 years ago with a Colt Police Positive .32 snubbie, a "Dick's Special". .32 S&W Longs loaded hot as I dared (most assuredly too hot for a flimsy break-open Saturday Night Special) and either 98 grain SWC's or WC's. It definitely outclassed a rimfire handgun but without the sturm und drang of .38's in that small package. Nowadays I don't look at such stuff with self defense in mind, just like .32's for regular old target shooting/plinking.

Latest .32 mold added to the half dozen or so others I have is the Accurate Molds #311-105T (illustrated in their online catalog). Its a 105 grain bullet (cast from 1:20 alloy), round nose-shaped ogive with a wide flat meplat, .314" out of the mold which allows its use as-cast in several of my .32's and .32-20 and is easily sized to .312-.313" for the others. Works a charm in both .32-20's and .32 Longs. If limited to but one mold for .32's this would be it. (I'm not actively looking for a handgun in .32 Mag, I figure the .32-20 cartridge fills that bill ok.)
In respect to defensive purposes I’ve done extensive ballistic study on the 32s and 38s. Both are fantastic calibers that can be uniquely tailored to low recoil. From 650-850 fps it’s hard to wrong unless you are trying to get them to expand, which takes away performance imo
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I do not have any plans at this time. These .32 H&R Wadcutters are sort of testing the waters in reference to what the market wants. I only have a limited amount of time each day/week for production, so I cannot afford to put out numerous varieties and not have them sell, when that same time could be spent in production of popular cartridges.
Reference J Frames.
In respect to defensive purposes I’ve done extensive ballistic study on the 32s and 38s. Both are fantastic calibers that can be uniquely tailored to low recoil. From 650-850 fps it’s hard to wrong unless you are trying to get them to expand, which takes away performance imo

That is why I chose the full wadcutter profile and the velocity range I did. You get 6 rounds in a J Frame, low recoil and the same benefits that make a .38 Special wadcutter so effective. It is simply a practical, easy shooting, easy to carry package.
I hope they sell well for you Mackay. Definitely a worthwhile load that the average guy wouldn't think to try making himself. Is it "better" than a lot of other handgun loads? I don't think so, but taken in the perspective of what you described I think it's damned good. Kudos.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I do not have any plans at this time. These .32 H&R Wadcutters are sort of testing the waters in reference to what the market wants. I only have a limited amount of time each day/week for production, so I cannot afford to put out numerous varieties and not have them sell, when that same time could be spent in production of popular cartridges.
I completely understand, Mackay.
Time is of the essence to ALL of us.
Have a great, and productive, day, sir!

Reference J Frames.

Thinking out loud here, but a modern Colt Cobra or King Cobra seems like a great match for a .32 H&R or even .327 Federal if someone likes LOUD muzzle blasts. They are almost the same size as a J frame, just a tenth of an inch or less difference in dimensions but the standard .38 Spl. +P Cobra holds six rounds which I'd speculate could hold seven .32 caliber rounds.

The one King Cobra Target I owned plus a few samples tried in a store had really excellent double action pulls, smooth and light all the way through, definitely better than an unmodified J frame. I've been a S&W man all my life but those Cobras impress me for someone wanting a small revolver.

Oh well, just wishful thinking since Colt doesn't seem to want to break new ground but instead live on redesigned copies of older classics in the standard .38/.357 chamberings.
I’ve got a Beretta 81BB in .32 ACP that I really enjoy shooting. Virtually no recoil. The barrell drops back on target very quickly. And it has the beauty of a Beretta design enhanced by a set of checkered walnut grips.

Mackey, I sure would love to have some stout defensive ammo for this gun. Currently, I keep three double stack magazines loaded full of Corbon DPX that I managed to source pre-COVID.

I don’t suppose that you have any plans to produce any ammo for my little Beretta 950 .25 ACP?
I have a couple of 32 H&R and wanted a small 327…..because that’s me.

Well j frames are pricey and are 6 shot H&R……. Sooo

In the spring when I get to Wyoming I’ll be redoing a 38 special to 327……..5 shot.

If it works I’ll be doing others. Too hard to find 327 and I like smiths…….but a k frame in 327 would be right
4” …….yeah maybe 6”
You guys are a bunch of damned enablers.

At my age I have, quite literally, a lifetime supply of .38 Special components - brass, primers, suitable powders, even a few thousand store bought cast bullets and enough alloy to make thousands more, plus six nice S&W and Colt revolvers specifically chambered as such (not counting the .357 Magnums).

So why the hell do I have three .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single Sixes on my gunbroker watchlist?!
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

At my age I have, quite literally, a lifetime supply of .38 Special components - brass, primers, suitable powders, even a few thousand store bought cast bullets and enough alloy to make thousands more, plus six nice S&W and Colt revolvers specifically chambered as such (not counting the .357 Magnums).

So why the hell do I have three .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single Sixes on my gunbroker watchlist?!

Start bidding!
I have a 32S&W hand eject 5th change from 1914 the best I can tell... shoots great but smaller in my hand... and the sights are small in comparison to modern... great gun and shoots well...

The 32's are more fun than the 38's, and I like 38's.

Less powder, less lead and the wee ones can be 357's will less racket and recoil.

I mean, WHAT recoil?
Originally Posted by Sako
I have a 32S&W hand eject 5th change from 1914 the best I can tell... shoots great but smaller in my hand... and the sights are small in comparison to modern... great gun and shoots well...

Those are just plain amazing pieces of craftmanship in a handy package.
Originally Posted by Sako

I've got one just like. Cool old pieces.
AN FYI guys..

I just put up 800 rds of 32 H&R wadcutters in the Campfire classifieds!

So much fun and so little recoil! cool

I will admit that I may carry BOTH my J Frame 442 .38 and the Ruger LCR .32 around in my old Pendleton wool jacket a fair bit this last fall and this winter. They just balance out my pockets so well!

This may be one of the most enjoyable and informational threads I've read on the fire in a LONG time. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience and knowledge. I'll post photos of my 32's later today.
Just cooking up some +p 32 H&R test loads this morning. I found a good deal on 100gr XTPs last week, so I bought a bunch to play with.

They just arrived yesterday, so now it's go time 😁

AN FYI guys..

I just put up 800 rds of 32 H&R wadcutters in the Campfire classifieds!

So much fun and so little recoil! cool

I will admit that I may carry BOTH my J Frame 442 .38 and the Ruger LCR .32 around in my old Pendleton wool jacket a fair bit this last fall and this winter. They just balance out my pockets so well!

Every time you through up these pics of these little revolvers I want one more and more. So, since you're the responsible party enabling me on my future gun purchase, which would you choose of the two pocket pistols regardless of cartridge (Smith vs Ruger) if you were to pic just one?
SBTCO,

That is an excellent question.

BOTH are well built guns. I used my S&W 442 .38 very heavily for a long time. I put in excess of 5K rounds through it over the course of my LE career. Then after my career my shooting of the gun slowed down considerably until I decided to get into the ammo production business. Now I shoot it semi frequently. It has taken me a good bit of time, but I think I have finally put another 1K through it, so I should be somewhere just north of 6K rounds now. Over that time, the only part breakage has been the firing pin, which after a call to S&W, they sent me out the part and I replaced it. The gun has held up very well.

The Ruger LCR .327 is new. I have not fired anywhere close to a fraction of the rounds through it. I will say that the trigger is surprisingly decent for an out of the box gun of this size. The gun itself is a little larger than the J Frame. It does not fit in my pants pocket like my Centennial J Frame will, but it fits in coat pockets fine.

In reference to cartridges, the .32 H&R has some real advantages that were discussed up thread. 6 rounds versus 5 and very, very light recoil. It really is like shooting a magnum rimfire, except it does not have the terrible trigger that rimfire pocket guns typically have.

A great choice would be a S&W .32 J Frame. I realize that they are a bit hard to come by at the moment, but such things can change. With the popularity of the .32 on the rise, don't be surprised if that does.

Currently, there is a LOT more .38 ammo on the market than .32, but I would expect that you will see more and more manufacturers begin to support the .32 H&R as well as .327 in the near future as well.

As far as choosing just one, regardless of cartridge, I would go with the Smith and Wesson. It is just a little bit smaller, and the 442/642 series carries in a front pants pocket extremely well. Regardless of which cartridge you choose, it is still an excellent gun a,d very hard to beat. I know mine has given more than 2 decades of faithful service, and is still my "always" gun.

I may discuss carrying my Glock 22 or G17 as my carry gun of the day, but rest assured, there is a little 442 in my front left pocket that has 5 full wadcutters always at the ready. I can appear to be standing casually, with my hand in my pocket, when in fact I have my hand on my gun, with a full firing grip. That little element of surprise cannot be understated.
Speaking of S&W J frame .32's...

Sitting at $850 as this is posted with 8 days left to go.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1027824727

[Linked Image from gbapics-bbhmapccg7fxbje0.z01.azurefd.net]
That would be one Heck of a Jackrabbit and Grouse gun.
Thanks for the info. Mackay. That helps a bunch and more or less where I was headed. I've got an old model 36 and had considered converting it to a bobbed hammer but the gun would still not have a plus P rating so I should just keep it as is and get a 442.
Enabling accomplished.
Glad to help!

Just ran through the last of my .32 H&R components.

Already sold a good bit, but now have 800 rds available to ship.

Fun little things for sure. Between these and the .38 Short Colts, you can have a whole lot of low recoil fun!

cool
cool
laugh
Friends,

For you .32 fans, I just put up 2500 more wadcutters on the website. Due to the announcement of the Ultimate Carry J Frame, the last batch got sold out quick, so I just knocked out another run. I doubt they will last, but I will be making more this week as time allows.

From what I understand, the .32s have been the overwhelming favorite between the .32 and .38 as far as orders go for the new J Frames.
Friends,

For you .32 fans, I just put up 2500 more wadcutters on the website. Due to the announcement of the Ultimate Carry J Frame, the last batch got sold out quick, so I just knocked out another run. I doubt they will last, but I will be making more this week as time allows.

From what I understand, the .32s have been the overwhelming favorite between the .32 and .38 as far as orders go for the new J Frames.

You should already be planning on 2-4x capacity just on the expected popularity of the the recently announced .32 J frames. If they do go through with the K frame release (Lord willing) Katy bar the door!
There may be some new models coming.

I am not at liberty to discuss publicly or privately what they are (please don't PM me about it, as I have given my word not to discuss any projects).

I can say that revolver shooters should be quite happy about the direction things are heading.

smile
I’ve always believed the 32 H&R was the ideal 32 revolver round. Fantastic!
This is a light weight version of a Ruger bisley with cylinders in 327 and 32-20. IF you could see the hand work that Fermin GArza and Alan Harton put into this gun you would be amazed. With a stout dose of H110 and 135g bullets it is a literal laser to shoot. Kim Ralston made the knife and Mike BArranti did the leather.

That dinky knife....and older school Tim Wegner Blade-Tech?
Lipseys link here A Lipseys exclusive J frame snubbie in 32H&R released at Shot Show '24

This is my 32 caliber pistol. I was looking for the most compact pistol I could find and the LW Seecamp was it at the time. You had to order them directly and the wait was 6 to 8 months to get one. Shortly after I received it Ruger came out with their LCP line of 380 and of course I had to have one of those also.
Originally Posted by VaHunter

This is my 32 caliber pistol. I was looking for the most compact pistol I could find and the LW Seecamp was it at the time. You had to order them directly and the wait was 6 to 8 months to get one. Shortly after I received it Ruger came out with their LCP line of 380 and of course I had to have one of those also.

Had one back in the early 90’s. Would only feed hardball ammo “reliability”. Sometimes.
Never could get it to feed reliably with the recommended WW Silvertip load.
Got a KelTec 32 when they came out. Then the KelTec P380T
It worked great too.

Finally settled on a Ruger LCP as my BUG.
Best one yet is the LCP 380Max, IMO.

I’ve also owned several Ruger Single Six Model revolvers in 32 H&R Mag and a Ruger Single Seven in 327 Federal Magnum.

If Ruger ever releases there LCR in .327 Fed Mag with the 3” bbl and adjustable sights they’ve been promising for at least 5 YEARS NOW. I’ll buy one of those. It ought to be the ultimate “kit gun”.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by VaHunter

Had one back in the early 90’s. Would only feed hardball ammo “reliability”. Sometimes.
Never could get it to feed reliably with the recommended WW Silvertip load.
Got a KelTec 32 when they came out. Then the KelTec P380T
It worked great too.

Finally settled on a Ruger LCP as my BUG.
Best one yet is the LCP 380Max, IMO.

I’ve also owned several Ruger Single Six Model revolvers in 32 H&R Mag and a Ruger Single Seven in 327 Federal Magnum.

If Ruger ever releases there LCR in .327 Fed Mag with the 3” bbl and adjustable sights they’ve been promising for at least 5 YEARS NOW. I’ll buy one of those. It ought to be the ultimate “kit gun”.

Yep, supposedly the LW Seecamp 32acp was designed to function with the Winchester Silver Tips but I could never find them so I used the Speer Gold Dots as an approved alternative according to Seecamp, and they work without fail for the around 100 rounds I put through it. I have seen where many have complain about poor feeding but I guess I just got lucky. I have not shot it in many years.
Seecamp .. a friend had one. He had to send it back for something or other. When it came back we did a range day. About 3 shots into the first magazine the action cycled but the slide didn't stop going forward, it did a nose-dive in the dirt while the frame remained in his hand. It took 18 months to get it repaired and returned via Seecamp. Down the road it went!
Speaking of S&W J frame .32's...

Sitting at $850 as this is posted with 8 days left to go.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1027824727

[Linked Image from gbapics-bbhmapccg7fxbje0.z01.azurefd.net]
Oh good lord! Now I know what I need next to go with the 332 and one of the new Lipseys Ultimate Carry 432’s. I can’t wait for the 432 to ship. The reports I have heard all praise the trigger work done on them. If it’s as good as they say the 332 may have to go to Fink’s or Nelson Ford for an action job to try and replicate it.
I watched a pretty good YouTube video on the S&W 432 UC, they look like pretty good DOA pocket revolvers. If I didn't already have a 2" 6 shot 357 snub nose, I would look at one of those new J-frames.
In the FWIW department I shot my previously unfired Smith M631 (like the one pictured above) today for the first time using the Lost River Ammunition .32 H&R wadcutter loads. Even with a shaky rest over the truck bed it printed a 2" group at 20 yards using those loads. Splendid performance from Lost River...again. Minimal report with .22 RF type recoil and a virtually clean barrel after 50 rounds. These loads should be really nice in the new Smith snubbies.
A pic of the new S&W 32 H&R from Lipseys
Originally Posted by colodog

Shame they didn’t chamber it in .327 Federal Magnum caliber. 🤪
Originally Posted by colodog

So Lipseys just had an event yesterday where a bunch of gun writers from various publications shot these guns.

A BUNCH of ammo was expended. I sent down 900 rounds. Long story short, Jason from Lipseys provided some excellent data. For those who don't already know, the 100 grain poly coated full wadcutters that I produce are designed specifically to shoot to the sights of these guns.

He said that in the 1&7/8ths" barrels the poly coated wadcutters were shooting right at 800 FPS.

Plus they shot some gel blocks. This was a surprise to me. The wadcutter load exited one 16" block and went into another, getting 22" of penetration.

I would not have guessed they would have gone that deep. That was kind of interesting. Pretty impressive for such a light kicking little load.
Thanks for the update Mackay. I have a hunch I'll own one the new pistols.
I have a boxed Ruger Buckeye 32-20/32 H&R due to arrive on Monday. A fit to my 38-40/10MM Buckeye. More later.
Originally Posted by EdM
I have a boxed Ruger Buckeye 32-20/32 H&R due to arrive on Monday. A fit to my 38-40/10MM Buckeye. More later.

I had one of each bought used from a fellow member of the gun club who apparently got some skeeter-borne blood disease on safari in Africa and decided to sell some of his guns 'cause he figured his good buddies would rob his widow blind. He got sick but now seems .. better. First thing I did was tear both guns apart and clean their innards. The .32 version had an unacceptable amount of rust inside. With that gone and a trigger job done, I did some shooting with it looking for an accurate load. What I found was accuracy but not enough sight adjustment, the front sight was already too short and other than an 85 grain XTP at absolute warp speed from the .32-20 case, I couldn't get the sight adjustment and impact to coincide. I sold it. The .327 Federal had just come out and I decided the 7-1/2" single six was a better option. I wish now, with hindsight, that I'd just scoped the Buckeye special.

They have been extremely popular. The minimal recoil, better capacity and deep penetration is really proving to be a winner. I was just talking with Jason from Lipseys this morning (texting actually) and we were discussing this. The .32 H&R has really turned out to be a Goldilocks round for these guns.

The LCR in .32 has been quite fun, but I could not resist one of these Ultimate Carry J Frames. So I opted for a blued .32. Since I have been carrying the same blued 442 for almost 25 years now, I figured it may be time. Plus it will be a testing platform. smile
Speaking of carrying a snubbie in your pocket, I have a friend from Oklahoma who comes out & hunts rock chucks with me, he's a former sheriff & was also a marine during VN & a very savvy hand gun man. His way of carrying his snubbie is to drop it right between his butt & his hanky & it's gone! No printing & easy, peasy to get to in a hurry. I've been around him for 7-8 years & never knew it was there until he casually showed it to me one day!

Dick

The Richard Special and the Officer on Saturday.

Worked on an 83gr. Lapua wadcutter load for the Richard that (hopefully) stays in a coyote noggin. It runs with the sights to about 35 yards, after that it drops like a brick.
It gets the 00 Little Dandy Rotor to drop 1.4 grs. of 700x and Prvi cases. (Or Lapua. Prvi and Lapua are thin walled and not tapered. Both are specifically made for this hollow base wadctter). No, reloading the Fiocchi wadcutter brass is way too thick for proper seating with this .314 bullet, as are most other available cases.

The Officers Model I've posted before but while it looked good on the outside and I lusted for the King rear sight, it was corrupted on the insides by novices. It got a new hand, positive lock safety and rebound lever to fix both the timing and lockup and to make the gun drop safe again.

Numrich (thank goodness) is stocking newly manufactured guts for these guns (that includes the Python) so I FINALLY got one of my favorite guns from boderline scrap heap back to the rare and gorgeous target arm that needs to be enjoyed.

Between the two they ate 700 32 caliber chunks of splendor, the Officers getting the brunt of the action with 231 (2.3 grs, in rotor #0), a 115 Keith/NOE bullet and Federal cap in Starline brass.
I have a Ruger 32-20/32 H&R Buckeye that should land at my FFL tomorrow. Pretty excited to pair it up with my Marlin 1894 CL 32-20 or my Browning M53 though the former, scoped, works best for these eyes. My 38-40/10mm Buckeye shoots very well though I have not used the 10mm cylinder. The latter seems to be put together better than your typical BW. We'll see on the 32.

The Richard Special and the Officer on Saturday.

Worked on an 83gr. Lapua wadcutter load for the Richard that (hopefully) stays in a coyote noggin. It runs with the sights to about 35 yards, after that it drops like a brick.
It gets the 00 Little Dandy Rotor to drop 1.4 grs. of 700x and Prvi cases. (Or Lapua. Prvi and Lapua are thin walled and not tapered. Both are specifically made for this hollow base wadctter). No, reloading the Fiocchi wadcutter brass is way too thick for proper seating with this .314 bullet, as are most other available cases.

The Officers Model I've posted before but while it looked good on the outside and I lusted for the King rear sight, it was corrupted on the insides by novices. It got a new hand, positive lock safety and rebound lever to fix both the timing and lockup and to make the gun drop safe again.

Numrich (thank goodness) is stocking newly manufactured guts for these guns (that includes the Python) so I FINALLY got one of my favorite guns from boderline scrap heap back to the rare and gorgeous target arm that needs to be enjoyed.

Between the two they ate 700 32 caliber chunks of splendor, the Officers getting the brunt of the action with 231 (2.3 grs, in rotor #0), a 115 Keith/NOE bullet and Federal cap in Starline brass.

Coincidentally I gave my pre-war Colt Officer's Model a workout yesterday too. I recently acquired an old unused RCBS mold for an 85 grain wadcutter. It seats shallow enough so inside case taper is inconsequential, even in .32 Long brass. I pulled a charge weight out of the air for the initial test and loaded them with 1.9 grains Red Dot. Brass was Starline .32 H&R (the revolver's chambers had been lengthened by an "enlightened" soul in the past). Sized .314 with nary a whiff of powder coating on the 1:20 tin:lead alloy bullets (who needs PC'ing on .32 target ammo?). The load further confirms that the handgun shoots like a young rifle, as it has been doing with Accurate #311-105T RNFP's, same alloy, 2.4gr. Bullseye. Now I have two go-to loads for the old sweetheart.

I've been asked, "Why don't you whomp up a bit on the loads for it since it's reamed out to H&R specs and the steel in the Colt is plenty up to the task?" No need, I say. I don't carry it, don't hunt anything with it - all its bullets need to do is go fast enough to punch through paper and/or ring tiny steel plates at my buddy's woods range. And at this level I can shoot the thing as cheaply as, or cheaper, than .22 rimfires.

Local shop has an S&W 32 S&W long in good condition. They are asking $599. I have no idea what the model number is. It is tempting me.
That looks like you could spend a weekend loading, then shoot all summer for very little money. Not to mention very little recoil.

Very cool.
Anyone think the Diamondback in 32 would have been a good idea?

Maybe, just maybe, Colt may get back in the 32 race on the new King Cobra platform.

I've never seen one yet, but they appear to be a good candidate for the Federal cartridge possibly? I'm not real big on the Federal, but right now it has the most commercial traffic.
I'd settle for the H&R myself, but factory ammo always plays a large part in consideration.

I really like that Smith concealed model. It definitely well thought out.
Good to see the 32s get some love.
The Diamondback in a 32 would not have been a good idea. It would have been a great idea.
Originally Posted by mart
The Diamondback in a 32 would not have been a good idea. It would have been a great idea.

Amen, brother, Amen.

I've avoided the .327 Federal rabbit hole thus far. "You can shoot .32 Longs and H&R's in it too", they say, but what of that loooooong bullet jump from case mouth to throat (if accuracy better than "minute of tin can" is the goal)? Just wondering. Obviously I haven't done it, any input on that account? (Bearing in mind my proclivity for mild .32 target loads.)

Being a fanboy of .32's in general, the .327 intrigues the heck out of me, but in another way - as a chambering in a heavy barrel single shot with a fast twist and 150-165 grain cast bullets for 100 and 200 yard work. Many fellas are employing the .32-20 in such a role these days and to my thinking the hell-for-stout Federal case would offer an advantage over the relatively thin walled .32-20. I hear noise about the .32-20 case not standing up to that abuse for very long.
Patent date on this one is June 5, 1917. No rust, but patina is there. My wife put all 6 of the first shots she made with this into a 4" dot at about 20 paces, all holes touching. It was hers until I showed her a Model 10 that she felt had "more power".

Amen, brother, Amen.

I've avoided the .327 Federal rabbit hole thus far. "You can shoot .32 Longs and H&R's in it too", they say, but what of that loooooong bullet jump from case mouth to throat (if accuracy better than "minute of tin can" is the goal)? Just wondering. Obviously I haven't done it, any input on that account? (Bearing in mind my proclivity for mild .32 target loads.)

Being a fanboy of .32's in general, the .327 intrigues the heck out of me, but in another way - as a chambering in a heavy barrel single shot with a fast twist and 150-165 grain cast bullets for 100 and 200 yard work. Many fellas are employing the .32-20 in such a role these days and to my thinking the hell-for-stout Federal case would offer an advantage over the relatively thin walled .32-20. I hear noise about the .32-20 case not standing up to that abuse for very long.

In relation to jump and increasing potential without resorting to defiling a fine arm they just don't make anymore. And the 327.

I believe you are correct in seeing the 327 as a more durable case than the 32-20. The 32-20 in a perfectly stout arm obviously has more potential, but the brass is very thin and often peters out with normal case sizing pretty quick. It would tire even faster if pressed to 3/4 the pressure of the .327 and we haven't even brought up buckling with seating a "fat" bullet or using a crimp. And I do like the 32-20.

The 327, as I've toyed with it, is at its best being loaded fast. Starting loads for jacketed bullets is probably where to begin.

You can make a "target" load for it, but its a bit too capacious to avoid wide velocity swings and will really make you scratch your head with a position sensitive powder with sedate or even moderate loads. Then the brass likes pressure to seal and fill the chamber; its not simply an elongated 32 H&R. The brass is much harder and probably thicker, designed for essentially double what the H&R operates at and triple the 32 Long. The starting loads are above maximum 32 H&R loads in the manuals, pressure wise.

I'm in the camp the 32's can easily be sedate but still not lack the ability to shoot well at distance (better than a .38 with less recoil and equal or greater B.C.) and if you are pondering taking a reamer to your original K32,16-?, Single Six or 32 Officers Model there is absolutely ways of getting there with less expensive surgery (in more ways than one).

The real heavyweights (120-135 grain cast bullets) will allow longer seating if they have multiple lube grooves or you have a mold cut with a dual crimp. This can also be done with target loads and swaged wadcutters or a multi grooved lubed bullet. The LEE tumble lubed bullets too.

The trick is to seat the bullet, fitted or sized snug to the throat, outward. This does two things. It increases capacity for more powder or lessens pressure with a traditional "book" charge. It also keeps the bullet guided as its already in the throat, not careening down an oversized chamber and being swaged at whatever angle when it hits the throat.

The 32 Long (in an arm that someone "might" feel the need to chamber to H&R to get better ballistics) can essentially be made longer, to 32 H&R length if the mold is cut correctly or by utilizing a lube groove to make the round the gun is chambered in capable of similar ballistics to the next larger round.
Most 32 H&R brass today is essentially the same as the 32 Long, strength wise.

By contrast, if we want a nice H&R wadcutter load for our 327 Federal, we can use the softer H&R brass, seat the wadcutter out a smidge into the throat and not have the 1/10 travel into oversized no man's land.

Here is a dummy 32 Long with a 125gr. LBT next to a 32 H&R with a 115 LBT. Obviously we would be in the starting load realm of the 32H&R, but way beyond any load listed for the Long. A custom bullet or wadcutter can be seated out to H&R OAL and that data used provided the bullet fits the throat and the arm is capable.

Amen, brother, Amen.

I’ve never ventured into the 327 realm. I have thoroughly enjoyed my two 32 H&R mags, one a single six and the other a 631. I have always had in my mind that I’d like to find a K32 but at current prices, if one could be found, I’ll have to keep enjoying the 32s I have.

However if Colt ever offered a four inch Diamondback in 32 H&R, I’d be selling a kidney and as much unvaxxed blood as I could afford to live without. Might even start eying the wife’s jewelry.
Originally Posted by Bugger
Patent date on this one is June 5, 1917. No rust, but patina is there. My wife put all 6 of the first shots she made with this into a 4" dot at about 20 paces, all holes touching. It was hers until I showed her a Model 10 that she felt had "more power".

Dandy iron there Bugger.

They have been extremely popular. The minimal recoil, better capacity and deep penetration is really proving to be a winner. I was just talking with Jason from Lipseys this morning (texting actually) and we were discussing this. The .32 H&R has really turned out to be a Goldilocks round for these guns.

The LCR in .32 has been quite fun, but I could not resist one of these Ultimate Carry J Frames. So I opted for a blued .32. Since I have been carrying the same blued 442 for almost 25 years now, I figured it may be time. Plus it will be a testing platform. smile

I am opting for the 432UC, too. As soon as the announcement hit the airwaves I was at my LGS and am 1st on his list for when they arrive.

Is a stainless 32 going to be available? I might hold out for one if so. If not, I'll try to find a blued one. From reading around on various forums, it sounds like demand is going to be strong.
I am sitting on ready for everything from 32 S&W long to 327 Federal. I handled the Smith 31-1 at the gun store yesterday it was in fair condition and priced at $599. I passed on it. It's a consignment, so I may go back in a few months and make an offer if it is still there. As it stands now I just have my three 327 Federals.

Damn, HawkI! Just slide on in and drop this photo bomb, awesome. Drooling over the 631 stainless.

The one that has me most intrigued though is the 3” at 3 o’clock. Looks like a model 31, but it has an adjustable rear sight. What is it, a rare version?

Nevermind, just saw the pin under the rear sight. You snuck a rimfire into the pile, you sneaky basstad… blush
Nah,

Its a conversion. Its a 30/31 barrel and cylinder with a floating centerfire pin installed.

Someone did a good job, I just need to finish it. The front sight is way too short.
Great looking crew there Hawk.
Thanks.

You better have some 32 pics here shortly Paul!

If you need some cast bullets, hit me up.
Thanks.

You better have some 32 pics here shortly Paul!

If you need some cast bullets, hit me up.

Do you have some those fancy coated ones like Mackay uses?
Nope, mine are all traditional. I use LBT Blue or my own stuff.

I kind of abhor the painted jackets, but understand why they have become popular.

If you get that 30/31 you don't need much of anything in the 32 Long with target loads.
While I went out in the super crappy weather yesterday to shoot the G21.5,

it was blowing snow and crap sideways***

I finished up by shooting a couple cylinders of ammo through my Ruger LCR at a paper plate set at about a car lengths distance. Maybe 7 yards. I was shooting my 100 grain poly coated wadcutter loads. It just impresses me what a significant difference there is between these little .32 WCs and your typical .38 loads.

The Ruger just stacks them in there.

I kind of get a kick out of how small the holes are. smile

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of the Lipsey's Ultimate J Frames.
We expect a full report!

I finished up by shooting a couple cylinders of ammo through my Ruger LCR at a paper plate set at about a car lengths distance. Maybe 7 yards. I was shooting Lost River 100 grain poly coated wadcutter loads. It just impresses me what a significant difference there is between these little .32 WCs and your typical .38 loads.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of the Lipsey's Ultimate J Frames.

We eagerly await the report.

I finished up by shooting a couple cylinders of ammo through my Ruger LCR at a paper plate set at about a car lengths distance. Maybe 7 yards. I was shooting my 100 grain poly coated wadcutter loads. It just impresses me what a significant difference there is between these little .32 WCs and your typical .38 loads.

What do you think you'd see for gel penetration if you stepped those wadcutters down to S&W long velocities? That 24 inches at magnum velocities is impressive.
This one arrived last week. I now own both Buckeye's, the 38WCF/10mm for a number of years. The 32 H&R cylinder looks new and will remain so as I prefer my Single Sixes for that chambering.

What do you think you'd see for gel penetration if you stepped those wadcutters down to S&W long velocities? That 24 inches at magnum velocities is impressive.

I really did not build the wadcutter load with the intention of it being a super high performance load. It was more to shoot to the sights and be comfortable to shoot, with adequate penetration. I was quite surprised that it performs as well as it does in the gel. With the super light recoil, it really makes sense as far as what to carry.
Dang it, thought I was through buying 32's but it looks like I'm going to have to shell out for one more.
Today I was in LGS and saw the 642 UC at $719. No stranger to 442 and 642 the new 642 UC trigger is dynamically more consistent, lighter, and crisp. Sights obviously were an improvement and better than the 340 pd / M&P. The grips were nice not only did they place the center of my palm higher but the grip was fatter at the web. Huge diff. Also the grip was not so grippy which helps when drawing fast. I didn’t have time to buy it, but I plan on getting all four models.

Originally Posted by EdM
This one arrived last week. I now own both Buckeye's, the 38WCF/10mm for a number of years. The 32 H&R cylinder looks new and will remain so as I prefer my Single Sixes for that chambering.

Ed,

Does that mean you intend on not firing the H&R cylinder?

Regardless, the 32-20/32H&R, IMO, is a lot better convertible than having an auto round in the mix. I've done the 10mm and I always think to myself "its a 38-40".

The 38-40 in a modern single action is something I need to address. Very nice bookends.

If you handload, which it looks you are with the component cache, the 32 Long can be stepped UP when the gun in question is geared to it, pretty much like the H&R.

The H&R isn't really a magnum, but definitely beyond a standard factory loaded Long, which generally runs out of poop for penetration.

With 115gr bullets and Unique class powder, the Long case can nip at the heels of the H&R. Seated to 32 H&R length, its essentially identical in a gun capable of plus p plus 38 pressure.
Most 32s made after WWII fit that category, since the same guns are chambered in 38.
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed,

Does that mean you intend on not firing the H&R cylinder?

Regardless, the 32-20/32H&R, IMO, is a lot better convertible than having an auto round in the mix. I've done the 10mm and I always think to myself "its a 38-40".

The 38-40 in a modern single action is something I need to address. Very nice bookends.

Yes on the H&R cylinder. My 38-40/10mm does not see the 10mm cylinder either. I do have a very nice 38-40 built on an old Flattop 357. Another on a converted S&W M28. I like the round a bunch.
I know it’s a handgun thread but sometimes fun 32s come with really long barrels.

Left handed flintlock 32. Great fun for snowshoes when we were in Alaska.

Today I was in LGS and saw the 642 UC at $719. No stranger to 442 and 642 the new 642 UC trigger is dynamically more consistent, lighter, and crisp. Sights obviously were an improvement and better than the 340 pd / M&P. The grips were nice not only did they place the center of my palm higher but the grip was fatter at the web. Huge diff. Also the grip was not so grippy which helps when drawing fast. I didn’t have time to buy it, but I plan on getting all four models.

I have searched all over online and have yet to see any come up for sale. I have decided to buy one.
I know it’s a handgun thread but sometimes fun 32s come with really long barrels.

Left handed flintlock 32. Great fun for snowshoes when we were in Alaska.

That is definitely a cool piece!

I was on the phone yesterday with a holster maker (retired) by the name of Thad Rybka. Many newer shooters perhaps may not know his name these days, but guys that have been around for a while probably will. I grew reading about his stuff in all the gun magazines in high school, the army and later college. He has always been a truly superb craftsman.

In fact my good friend Jim Wall who is the co-owner of Milt Sparks Holsters and is a world class holster maker himself has nothing but praise for Thad Rybka gun leather and his workmanship. That is pretty high praise.

Anyways, the reason I bring up Mr. Rybka, is because he too is a .32 fan and speaking of long guns, has a .32 H&R Rolling Block. I did not know such a creature existed. That is pretty darn cool. smile

I sent some .32 H&R wadcutters down to Thad here not too long ago, and he loved them. I rarely pack anything but Milt Sparks, when it comes to leather, but he sent a Rhodesian OWB (or 2) up my way, and I must say his work is superb.
I had fully intended to build a 32H&R in a little Martini when I moved back south. I had figured it to be the ultimate fall turkey rifle and reloadable squirrel cartridge.

Unfortunately soon after my arrival our turkey population went down the drain and the state took away our fall rifle season. So I never got off the ground with the project. Maybe someday I’ll get a wild hair and get started on it anyway.
So I just saw that a new article came out in American Handgunner.

https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/sw-ultimate-carry-ballistic-testing/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

The write up was about the ballistic testing done with the new S&W Ultimate Carry J Frames with the .32 H&Rs. A wide variety of ammo was featured. Pretty good mix really from snake shot to solid copper hollow points.

Yours truly had the Lost River Ammunition Company 100 grain poly coated full wadcutters featured in the article. The author did some velocity testing and the wadcutters tested at 794, which is right about on the money. Penetration was 24"s of gelatin.

What really surprises me is what a kind of little "Goldilocks" sweet spot this load really is. I honestly did not expect it would do so well in the penetration/gel testing, but it really has proven to a rock star. Practically nothing in the recoil department, but still putting a hundred grain slug nice and deep.

This project has turned out better than expected!

Seriously looking forward to shooting the new Lipsey's 432 UC. smile
Any idea on the BHN of the wadcutter featured in your ammo?
Bump for LBP.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Bump for LBP.
Thanks
© 24hourcampfire