Home
My wife has repeatedly declined to own a gun of her own and the notion of carrying one (and possibly using it) just wasn't even on her radar. But...

After hearing about another kid getting grabbed in broad daylight about 70 miles from here, she decided she was not going to stand by, helpless, if it happened to her and our girls. So, on our anniversary, she suggested we go to Cabela's. She stepped up to the gun counter, fondled a few Kimbers and said, "I want one of these." Quietly thrilled that she wanted a gun, I politely pointed out that she might be better served with a smaller cartridge, like a 9mm. She said, "No. I like this one." And the discussion was over...

I got online and ordered it for her, along with a couple extra magazines. It arrived yesterday:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We went to the range last night, and all I had were 230 gr bullets loaded up. (I plan to load some 185's for her). She barely had the strength to put 7 rounds into a magazine. Pulling the slide back was just as difficult. She looked up at me while I watched with an eyebrow lifted, and said, "Don't worry. I'll get it." I didn't doubt her for a minute.

She struggled to get comfortable with her grip, but then proceeded to shoot 7 rounds at 21 feet into a group that you could cover with a playing card. It wasn't spectacular shooting, but for her first handgun ever, I was pleased as punch. Plus, if she can do it under pressure, she'll never come home from the mall one kid short.

So anyway, I am proud of her. She shot about 5 more mags worth and then we went home. It was a good day. smile
The lady has taste and I have no doubt that any idiot stupid enough to mess with one of her kids would live past the second round. Good for both of you. Now I just hope she does not clean my clock shooting pins. eek
grin cool
what did she have to say about recoil and weight, etc?
She was OK with the weight--after about 20 minutes of shooting, though, she was done.

The jury is still out on the recoil factor. She's determined, but I could tell she was anticipating the recoil. But, with lighter loads, and a lot of practice with both her gun and my Ruger MKII .22lr, she might do fine. Otherwise, a CDP or Aegis in 9mm might be in her future.

She was all smiles on the ride home and was talking about going shooting Sunday after church. So, it's looking good so far.
At least she didn't pick a pink one.

Thanx for the feedback
Phew. From the title, I was expecting tragic news. Glad it was something good instead.
Went through a similar routine Thursday. Took Mama to the range along with the 45acp, 38 Super and my Featherweight Roberts. She wasn't too taken with the 45 but now has designs on both the Super and the Featherweight after knocking small plastic bottles all over the field with the Super at about 25 yards and shooting consistent 1" groups with the 257. She quietly mentioned to friends this morning that she's going deer hunting. And she keeps bringing up the Super. The writing is on the wall.
You get some of those 180 gr loads loaded up and she just mike get to liking the little 45. Wish I had a 180 gr mold. I would cast up a bunch for you.
Way to GO Wade, we need more lady's like that, I am thankful mine has carried for a number of years already.
Gotta love a wife that shoots, especially one that likes it!

Mine likes my 1911, and she likes the .44 Redhawk , too, but a nagging softball injury(she broke 2 bones in her wrist) cuts her stamina with the harder kickers.

I got her a Bersa Thunder .380, and she loves it, and is SCARY good with it within 10-15 yards.
From my standpoint i would give her time to work it out herself, she may be able to work out the muscle factor of racking the slide.
As to the bullet weight and recoil, my wife is a greatgrandmother and has trouble racking the slide on an automatic. Having said that, when i first bought a super redhawk, it was loaded with 180grainers, she fired it without issue.
And she prefers a model 66 smith to a 36.
I wouldn't prejudge it.
Teach her to do the push/pull method when racking the slide, this requires a little coordination but if she does it right it will work fine for even the smallest of stature. Hold the gun and form a C clamp with the opposite hand using all four fingers and the thumb. C clam the rear of the slide near the rear sight where the grooves are, push forward the grip in the right hand while simultaneously pulling rearward with the left, this should generate enough momentum to rack the slide with minimal effort. It will require her to practice it though! Tell her to not ride the slide once it is pulled rearward let the slide "slam" forward to rack. Also teach her failure to fire drills and how to get a semi auto back into the fight! My last suggestion is to get her decent training and make sure to routinely practice shooting with her. Congratulations.
also when doing the push/pull method keep the gun close to the body, like opening the lid on a jar.
Hmm, I'd be careful racking one in next to my body, just in case.

She does have good taste, hope that works out well for her.

For ladies, I often recommend a revolver as they are easy to load, no safety, etc. Fill the cylinder, close, fire.

A J or K framed Smith in 357 can be loaded w/light recoiling specials and later anything from 110-125s in HP from either +p 38s or 357s will do great w/less recoil...for 2 legged vermin.
Waders;

Don't fret the recoil. My wife carried a 3" Kimber for years, and the recoil wasn't an issue with practice.

PM me with how she plans to carry it, and perhaps, I have a few things here she can use, now that my wife carries something else.

As for carry loads: Speer GoldDot ShortBarrels, or CorBon DPX. Trust me on that one.

And, PLEASE teach her to use the sights FIRST, not the laser. Don't want to bet her life and safety, or that of one of your girls, on a battery or light conditions.
Keeping the firearm close to the body gives her the leverage to rack it instead of brute strength. I didn't say point the gun at herself in the process but she needs to use caution when handling any firearm most definitely. Also she needs to watch when she brings her hand over the firearm not to laser her hand when doing the C clamp, all valid points.
65BR;

Tried that. Thought the same thing.

My wife HATED the J-frame snubbie in .38 or .357 due to the recoil hitting the web of her hand.

The sub-compact 1911? Deadly, and confident.

It has to, always, be her/their choice.

If Mrs. Waders has chosen, let her run with it. She'll be fine.
Right on VA..... My experience with a non shooting wife mirror VA's in many ways. Sherri went through several guns before settling on HER Colt Cobra 38 special. She even found it and made the deal at a gunshow that we were at together. I was running our table when she came back from a gun show stroll with this sweet little 60's vintage Colt Cobra and I gave it my enthusiastic Blessing after which she went back and haggled out a deal on the spot without my being anywhere near. I was so proud of her! It is critical to allow the lady to pick out her gun and shoot it until she decides that she likes it or not. Losing money on a coule of gun trades was and is a small price to pay for getting my lovely wife into shooting a bit and carrying a good gun when in the rougher parts of town like in the niehborhood of the mission where she works full time.

Practice days are spent shooting light loads, but in the gun are six +P Gold Dot 125's. They might wreck her gun if she shoots all six at once, but we can replace the gun.....

Waders, CONGRATULATIONS! I am thrilled for you, amigo. Very glad to hear that your wife and girls are now protedcted by the KIMBER security system and agency!

We sure saw at the 24hrcf bowling pin shoot that a new shooter of female persuasion, even one of smaller stature, can indeed shot pretty darned well with a 45ACP right from the get go with a little instruction and patinece. Hippiechick was even shooting my quite light aluminum framed 4 inch Pro Carry Kimber which bucks a bit. Yeah, a revolver might have been a more ideal choice, but that SHE picked out what SHE wanted you did the right thing by letting her get and start with that. She might keep it forever, might change her mind after a range session or two (girls do that, ya know,,,) but in any case you, and your family, have WON. Good on ya!
I had to chuckle when thinking about this today. I have met the lovely Mrs Waders. I got to thinking about the surprised look on the face of any bad guy that decided to mess wit her or any of her family. The best undertaker in the world would never get the look of shuck of the decease's face. grin
Originally Posted by Waders
She was OK with the weight--after about 20 minutes of shooting, though, she was done.

The jury is still out on the recoil factor. She's determined, but I could tell she was anticipating the recoil. But, with lighter loads, and a lot of practice with both her gun and my Ruger MKII .22lr, she might do fine. Otherwise, a CDP or Aegis in 9mm might be in her future.

She was all smiles on the ride home and was talking about going shooting Sunday after church. So, it's looking good so far.

Be proud of her, she chose a major caliber and she is well armed. I beleive that if someone tries to grab her child, they are in trouble for sure and for certain

Wade, your wife has awesome taste in guns. Have to say I like the looks of that even more so than yours grin
By all means, teach her to use the dights first and then the laser.
Keep a close watch on her, she may start out shooting you.
Very nice!

Good on ya Mrs Waders.

Originally Posted by jimmyd223

Keep a close watch on her, she may start out shooting you.

We all are going to look pretty foolish when she beats us all at the pins next year! cry

then proceeded to shoot 7 rounds at 21 feet into a group that you could cover with a playing card. It wasn't spectacular shooting,

That's good shooting for a 1st time shooter, new gun & a 45, to boot.

Work her up some 185's at around 650-700 FPS........might need some re-springing, & give her lots of range time.

She'll get used to it in a hurry, then you can work back up to stiffer loads.

God Luck & give her a Well Done.

MM
Waders, congrats on your wife coming around to handgun ownership and and CCW. However, I hate to have to rain on your parade a little, but the 1911 platform really isn't that great a decision for a novice, especially under stress. Shooting paper and bowling pins are fine, but under duress, with no training, a revolver would be a much better choice. No offense intended, just an experienced mans opinion.
Originally Posted by SGT26
Shooting paper and bowling pins are fine, but under duress, with no training, a revolver would be a much better choice.

Running a revolver, such as a K or L frame S&W, in the situation you have described above really isn't any better. Most people cannot run a 6 shot revolver double action and keep up with the speed or scores on paper as compared to a semiauto. Granted, paper is not a self defense situation, but if one cannot operate accurately and effectively under simple time constraint pressure, then one would expect to perform worse as there is significantly greater pressure. Add to that scenario where one has to reload and one comes out ahead even when utilizing common speedloaders or moonclips. Even a simple practice session such as; with the firearm concealed, draw and fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds - draw and fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds - draw and fire 4 rounds in 8 seconds, utilizing a shot timer and a K or L frame S&W will give somewhat dedicated revolver shooters difficulty.

Each particular firearm has its pros and cons, but all require some training, familiarization, and practice to operate effectively under duress. Learning to accurately and effectively run a revolver really doesn't require any less training, practice, or dedication than that required of a semiauto.

Generally speaking, most do not have the facilities available to practice holster drills, malfunction drills, reloading, shooting while moving, weapons retention, etc; all of which are very important.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Teach her to do the push/pull method when racking the slide, this requires a little coordination but if she does it right it will work fine for even the smallest of stature. Hold the gun and form a C clamp with the opposite hand using all four fingers and the thumb. C clam the rear of the slide near the rear sight where the grooves are, push forward the grip in the right hand while simultaneously pulling rearward with the left, this should generate enough momentum to rack the slide with minimal effort. It will require her to practice it though! Tell her to not ride the slide once it is pulled rearward let the slide "slam" forward to rack. Also teach her failure to fire drills and how to get a semi auto back into the fight! My last suggestion is to get her decent training and make sure to routinely practice shooting with her. Congratulations.

i have tried that, but she still has trouble with strength.
As to the pistol a number of years ago we were out in my flat fender jeep and ran accross a running jackrabbit. Handed her a model 19 and said shoot it. She took the pistol aimed, and hit the sucker on the run. That put me into shock so to speak, and i asked her why she killed the rabbit. She answered well you told me to shoot it. My answer was, yeah, but i didn't think you could.
That rabbit changed my attitude somewhat from that point forward.
Originally Posted by SGT26
Waders, congrats on your wife coming around to handgun ownership and and CCW. However, I hate to have to rain on your parade a little, but the 1911 platform really isn't that great a decision for a novice, especially under stress. Shooting paper and bowling pins are fine, but under duress, with no training, a revolver would be a much better choice. No offense intended, just an experienced mans opinion.

The age old wheel vs Semi is a hard one. Both have advantages and disadvantages. She looked, she chose, she is practicing, and she has a great coach. I have seen Waders shoot. wink

Pins are a good practice. They teach accurate shooting at 25 feet, a distance way beyond the average confrontation. They teach fast and efficient reloads and the pressure of the competition is a lot better practice that just shooting paper. Besides, shooting pins is so much fun it make you want to practice.
Waders: Great gun! She'll enjoy it and recoil tolerance will build with time and rounds down range.

Here's my take on the revolver vs. auto issue:

I doubt that reloading a revolver, even with a speedloader, is faster than reloading a magazine fed semi-automatic.

I don't think a double action revolver is "simpler" than a single action automatic. Think about it: how is pulling through a 12-16 pound trigger any easier than wiping off a thumb safety and pressing a 4lb single action trigger? Assuming that the shooter owns the gun and is familiar with it, I think a new shooter--particularly one with limited hand strength--is better served with the single action semi-automatic.

In my experience with revolvers, the hardest to shoot quickly and accurately are the alloy construction J-frames with full-power ammunition. By comparison, even an alloy frame Commander size 1911 with 230gr Hydrashoks is a breeze.
Congrats, that's great!

Nice weapon too. She won't outgrow that.
Originally Posted by Scott F

Pins are a good practice. They teach accurate shooting at 25 feet, a distance way beyond the average confrontation. They teach fast and efficient reloads and the pressure of the competition is a lot better practice that just shooting paper. Besides, shooting pins is so much fun it make you want to practice.

Yep, and practice is the better answer than dumbing down the weapon system. Friendly competition can still rattle the nerves enough to create operator error, but in a safe environment. The more quality trigger time the better. If she enjoys shooting her new 1911 then she'll be more inclined to practice/compete and really KNOW her pistol. That's far superior to just "owning" a dusty revolver that hides in a night stand.
We went shooting again tonight. She loved it! She shot some .22lr to warm up and then went to the Kimber. She is still working out dealing with the recoil but says that she isn't afraid of it, and more importantly: She doesn't want a different gun--she likes this one!

She's going to shoot pins with us at next year's Washington Get-Together. I think she'll be a contender to win for 2nd place!!
(grin)
Awesome news Wade, I'm really happy for you. I can only imagine how happy you are that she made the jump----------NEVER get between a momma bear and her cubs!

As long as she's having fun and not spooked by the recoil, it won't be long before she's running that little pistol like a champ. smile
Yep. Awsome news indeed! Getting sideways with A woman protecting her babies while armed with a Kimber 45 is a REALLY bad idea!
Great thread. Congratulations!

Whatever 'clicked' inside the wiff, that she wanted to become a momma-grizzly and not a victim, ..... pretty damn cool!

Even if she does learn to outshoot you, sounds like great company to have when per-fekting YOUR SKILLS! wink
She's going to shoot pins with us at next year's Washington Get-Together. I think she'll be a contender to win for 2nd place!!
()

You hope its is second place grin
Gotta love a wife that shoots, especially one that likes it!

Indeed,
But be prepared when she soon surpasses your "talent"

Mine did it within a year,
So I am always raising the bar.
Shooting smaller and smaller targets, farther and farther away.

I bested her by ONE point yesterday. With .22's and
by 5 feet with her .380
(same sized groups ..her's at 15 feet and mine at 20 with the Walther PK)

But I know that next weekend she will be back !

Oh yes, I've been shootin for about 200 years, her? 2!

(grin)

We're doomed! eek
VA, agree it's up to the user. Helped a lady at the range recently who had little experience, she had more snags using her Ruger 40 than the revolver she also was trying. The 40 was a large gun for her hands, etc. etc.

No doubt a little practice will get a shooter accustomed to the controls and if it fits her hand, thats key.

J vs K, true the little Js are going to come back more. I run a K 3" and Magnums are no problem, though know a 686 L is better yet if your going to burn some ammo. Heavier and larger though, not a great 'carry' piece.
Speaking of "J" frames I replaced the S&W grips with a set of Pacmyers (sp) on my 38 Spl and let a couple of friend's wives who carry "J" frames test the feel of the Pacmyers and they went to the larger grips as it improved the handling of their pistols as well as accuracy.
My wife has repeatedly declined to own a gun of her own and the notion of carrying one (and possibly using it) just wasn't even on her radar. But...

After hearing about another kid getting grabbed in broad daylight about 70 miles from here, she decided she was not going to stand by, helpless, if it happened to her and our girls. So, on our anniversary, she suggested we go to Cabela's. She stepped up to the gun counter, fondled a few Kimbers and said, "I want one of these." Quietly thrilled that she wanted a gun, I politely pointed out that she might be better served with a smaller cartridge, like a 9mm. She said, "No. I like this one." And the discussion was over...

I got online and ordered it for her, along with a couple extra magazines. It arrived yesterday:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We went to the range last night, and all I had were 230 gr bullets loaded up. (I plan to load some 185's for her). She barely had the strength to put 7 rounds into a magazine. Pulling the slide back was just as difficult. She looked up at me while I watched with an eyebrow lifted, and said, "Don't worry. I'll get it." I didn't doubt her for a minute.

She struggled to get comfortable with her grip, but then proceeded to shoot 7 rounds at 21 feet into a group that you could cover with a playing card. It wasn't spectacular shooting, but for her first handgun ever, I was pleased as punch. Plus, if she can do it under pressure, she'll never come home from the mall one kid short.

So anyway, I am proud of her. She shot about 5 more mags worth and then we went home. It was a good day. smile

So when she chooses to become armed, the woman doesn't mess around! Don't mess with the rest, just give the girl a .45 and get the hell out of her way. I LOVE IT!!

So I picked up the Astra A70 for my 12 year old daughter, but after shooting my LW Commander she prefers it. Recoil really doesn�t bother her, in fact; she finds it rather exhilarating. So, I�ll probably pass the A70 on to her sister and just buy or build her a LW Commander when she comes of age (or when my pocketbook does, whichever comes first).
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
65BR;

Tried that. Thought the same thing.

My wife HATED the J-frame snubbie in .38 or .357 due to the recoil hitting the web of her hand.

The sub-compact 1911? Deadly, and confident.

It has to, always, be her/their choice.

If Mrs. Waders has chosen, let her run with it. She'll be fine.

A J frame is the LAST gun I�d consider for an inexperienced shooter; they�re a b-otch to shoot well, I don�t care who you are. A good quality semi-auto that fits her hands well is more often than not the better choice in my experience. If a woman insists on a revolver, I typically reach for the Ruger SP101 3� first, then a round butt 2.5-3� K frame with a set of Pacymayr Compac Professional grips (the one�s with the open backstrap), or a Colt�s D frame with Eagle Secret Service grips, or the standard wood grips that came on the later Dic Spl/Cobra/Agent. It�s all about fit in the hand.

And just like with us guys, most women score best with a semi-auto. And these days semi auto�s aren�t nearly as cantankerous as they were decades ago, so you don�t have to be a full on gun-nut to carry a semi-auto. My wife strongly prefers a semi-auto. It�s like pulling teeth to get her to practice (she just doesn�t like shooting), but when she does, she shoots just fine.
Kevin,

I agree. Good for her! If it had been me picking out her gun, it wouldn't be a .45, but...she really liked it when handling it in the store! It was love at first sight. Anybody who's ever been there with a gun knows what I'm talking about! Well, that's exactly what happened to her.

If she gets comfortable with the recoil, she'll have long-lasting relationship with that gun--I have no doubt there. Right now, she is adament that she has no "fear" of the recoil, but admits that it is affecting her shooting. But, for now, she says that she is going to continue on with her gun. The best part is that her gun is NOT scaring away from shooting. She might decide to get a different gun in the future, but she is going to have a gun of some sort--and that's the key. It might be a .45, a 9mm, or a .380. But, she plans on carrying something, and for now, that "something" is a Kimber Stainless Ultra TLE II .45 ACP (LG).

A smart man would NOT let her see Jimmy's Wilson. grin
...she plans on carrying something, and for now, that "something" is a Kimber Stainless Ultra TLE II .45 ACP (LG).

Waders, let us know what she decides to use to carry it with/on/in--i.e. IWB holster, purse-holster, fanny pack, etc. I'd be curious to know what she feels most comfortable with.

BTW, congrats on apparently marrying way over your head (as did most of us) :-)
OUTstanding!!! She did VERY well.. Tell her congrats - in spades.. smile
© 24hourcampfire