-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of "J" frames I replaced the S&W grips with a set of Pacmyers (sp) on my 38 Spl and let a couple of friend's wives who carry "J" frames test the feel of the Pacmyers and they went to the larger grips as it improved the handling of their pistols as well as accuracy.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
My wife has repeatedly declined to own a gun of her own and the notion of carrying one (and possibly using it) just wasn't even on her radar. But...

After hearing about another kid getting grabbed in broad daylight about 70 miles from here, she decided she was not going to stand by, helpless, if it happened to her and our girls. So, on our anniversary, she suggested we go to Cabela's. She stepped up to the gun counter, fondled a few Kimbers and said, "I want one of these." Quietly thrilled that she wanted a gun, I politely pointed out that she might be better served with a smaller cartridge, like a 9mm. She said, "No. I like this one." And the discussion was over...

I got online and ordered it for her, along with a couple extra magazines. It arrived yesterday:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We went to the range last night, and all I had were 230 gr bullets loaded up. (I plan to load some 185's for her). She barely had the strength to put 7 rounds into a magazine. Pulling the slide back was just as difficult. She looked up at me while I watched with an eyebrow lifted, and said, "Don't worry. I'll get it." I didn't doubt her for a minute.

She struggled to get comfortable with her grip, but then proceeded to shoot 7 rounds at 21 feet into a group that you could cover with a playing card. It wasn't spectacular shooting, but for her first handgun ever, I was pleased as punch. Plus, if she can do it under pressure, she'll never come home from the mall one kid short.

So anyway, I am proud of her. She shot about 5 more mags worth and then we went home. It was a good day. smile

So when she chooses to become armed, the woman doesn't mess around! Don't mess with the rest, just give the girl a .45 and get the hell out of her way. I LOVE IT!!

So I picked up the Astra A70 for my 12 year old daughter, but after shooting my LW Commander she prefers it. Recoil really doesn�t bother her, in fact; she finds it rather exhilarating. So, I�ll probably pass the A70 on to her sister and just buy or build her a LW Commander when she comes of age (or when my pocketbook does, whichever comes first).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
65BR;

Tried that. Thought the same thing.

My wife HATED the J-frame snubbie in .38 or .357 due to the recoil hitting the web of her hand.

The sub-compact 1911? Deadly, and confident.

It has to, always, be her/their choice.

If Mrs. Waders has chosen, let her run with it. She'll be fine.

A J frame is the LAST gun I�d consider for an inexperienced shooter; they�re a b-otch to shoot well, I don�t care who you are. A good quality semi-auto that fits her hands well is more often than not the better choice in my experience. If a woman insists on a revolver, I typically reach for the Ruger SP101 3� first, then a round butt 2.5-3� K frame with a set of Pacymayr Compac Professional grips (the one�s with the open backstrap), or a Colt�s D frame with Eagle Secret Service grips, or the standard wood grips that came on the later Dic Spl/Cobra/Agent. It�s all about fit in the hand.

And just like with us guys, most women score best with a semi-auto. And these days semi auto�s aren�t nearly as cantankerous as they were decades ago, so you don�t have to be a full on gun-nut to carry a semi-auto. My wife strongly prefers a semi-auto. It�s like pulling teeth to get her to practice (she just doesn�t like shooting), but when she does, she shoots just fine.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kevin,

I agree. Good for her! If it had been me picking out her gun, it wouldn't be a .45, but...she really liked it when handling it in the store! It was love at first sight. Anybody who's ever been there with a gun knows what I'm talking about! Well, that's exactly what happened to her.

If she gets comfortable with the recoil, she'll have long-lasting relationship with that gun--I have no doubt there. Right now, she is adament that she has no "fear" of the recoil, but admits that it is affecting her shooting. But, for now, she says that she is going to continue on with her gun. The best part is that her gun is NOT scaring away from shooting. She might decide to get a different gun in the future, but she is going to have a gun of some sort--and that's the key. It might be a .45, a 9mm, or a .380. But, she plans on carrying something, and for now, that "something" is a Kimber Stainless Ultra TLE II .45 ACP (LG).

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A smart man would NOT let her see Jimmy's Wilson. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Waders
...she plans on carrying something, and for now, that "something" is a Kimber Stainless Ultra TLE II .45 ACP (LG).

Waders, let us know what she decides to use to carry it with/on/in--i.e. IWB holster, purse-holster, fanny pack, etc. I'd be curious to know what she feels most comfortable with.

BTW, congrats on apparently marrying way over your head (as did most of us) :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OUTstanding!!! She did VERY well.. Tell her congrats - in spades.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,283
Posts18,505,153
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.