Home
Posted By: alukban What holster for an N-frame? - 10/11/12
Does anyone regularly carry an N-frame sized DA?

If so, what holster do you use and can you carry it concealed?

Originally Posted by alukban

I've got a Hunter for my 4" N frames. It's a standard leather holster with a thumbsnap retainer and a forward cant. It's okay. Lots of guys like El Paso Saddlery's offerings. I bought mine simply because it was available and I despise having to order stuff via UPS or Snail Mail. I can't complain.

Carrying an N frame concealed poses some challenges. During the winter when a heavy coat is not out of place, there is no problem outside. I don't even try otherwise.
I use several Simply Rugged holsters with N-frames...just a simple pancake style and it fits my needs. They can be made with straps to allow you to wear it IWB, but I never do that with an N-frame....N-frame and IWB are mutually exclusive (to me). Heavy cover garment is the best bet for concealed with an N-frame.
I carry a 329 PD some in the hills and find the Milt Sparks 200AW style (Von Ringler made the one in the picture) works about perfect for my needs.

[Linked Image]

When in town it conceals well enough for Wyoming under a big vest or coat. grin
[Linked Image]
Concealed carry is very dependent on body size and width of the firearm you wish to carry. I'm a fat boy, and I like IWB holsters. I once carried two S&W 2nd Model Ejector .44 Special revolvers with 6.5" barrels inside the waist band with a sport shirt to a BBQ as a "test", and no one thought I was "packen". On a skinny guy, they would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I used a Galco "Classic" with the wide shoulder straps with various 3" barreled N frames for years, and liked it. Dual speed loader pouch with ammo on the off side helped even out the load and was very comfortable, but required a "loose fitting" jacket for concealment. Be ready to try several different modes of carry before your happy.
Posted By: RGS Re: What holster for an N-frame? - 10/11/12
alukban

I have a CABO IWB holster that works pretty well. I can't find them on the web anymore, so I think they are out of business. However, if you find a holster for an N frame IWB, make sure it rides high enough so the cylinder clears your belt. This makes for a less bulky waistline, and covers well with a shirt tail or waist length jacket.

Wear a good heavy belt at least 1 1/4" wide.

I also have a Maxpedition "Fat Boy" that is a sort of man-purse. With compact grips I can fit my M357 in the holster portion (barely). It isn't a quick draw outfit by any means, but is totally concealed. 2 speed loaders in the covered flap pocket and odds and ends as you wish in the other pockets. I hike with it a lot.

I second the simply rugged pancake holster. Just picked one up for a Model 28 4" and its a dream to carry. Also have one for a 4 5/8" blackhawk, and a model 19 6"

Service and response time is fantastic, and reasonably priced.

simplyrugged.com I believe is the website.

I actually do have the Simply Rugged and one from Lobo Leather. I'm waiting on a Milt Sparks PMK though. The big revolvers are easy enough to hide OWB under a Carhartt if it goes down enough to cover it. I dunno if I could do IWB either. It is surprisingly small looking on my belt, now that I look at the pics myself. I'm a 32" waist, 5'10" and only 155 lbs.

I find that Simply Rugged makes their pancakes waaay too long past the muzzle. I ordered a 3" for my 4" and am wondering if that'll let it "ride shorter" and more concealable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That looks like a comfortable way to carry my 4" 624. How is the quality? And how does one contact Simply Rugged?
Safariland paddle
I've got Simply Rugged, Milt Sparks and Bianchi the 5BH I think it is. I'll probably sell the Bianchi.

I've got 2 n frame holsters I like to wear around the ranch. My favorite is a El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons with a forward cant & strap.

The second is also made by EPS in the pancake style. I find it's much better for concealment when carrying my S&W N frame Mountain Gun in .41 mag.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I've got 2 n frame holsters I like to wear around the ranch. My favorite is a El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons with a forward cant & strap.

The second is also made by EPS in the pancake style. I find it's much better for concealment when carrying my S&W N frame Mountain Gun in .41 mag.
Totally agree about the EPS Tom Threepersons holster-- I also have one of Roy Baker's original pancake holsters which I find really does the biz for concealed carry. With the exception of my 1917 all of my N Frames have 3 1/2 or 4-inch barrels so I am less concerned with IWB carry than might otherwise be the case.
+1 on the EPS Threepersons. That's how I carry my 45C MG.
I rather like my Bianchi cross draw for hunting, the jacket covers it well and i can still get to it when sitting the ground or stump. My other holster, actually it's a whole rig is the Border holster with nice belt with loops for spare rounds.

Jim
Simply Rugged Sourdough is how I carry my 3" 629. I have carried it IWB without issue though I mostly carry OWB. They are excellent holsters and you won't be disappointed in them or with Rob. I currently have 5 of them.
OK, got me another Simply Rugged holster meant for a 3" N frame and I am happy. It rides high and tight with a 4" Mountain Gun smile

[Linked Image]
I bought 2 Galco WheelGunner holsters last year. One for the 4" N Frame Smith and one for the Ruger BlackHawk. Around $50 and most everyone carries them. The others mentioned are also players.

Estacado
I carried my 4"S&W 624 in an El Paso Tanker holster over two long days of hunting earlier this month and the holster made the gun very comfortable. No pulling down on my belt, or bumping against truck doors or seats as sometimes happens with belt holsters.
Posted By: EdM Re: What holster for an N-frame? - 10/20/12
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I carried my 4"S&W 624 in an El Paso Tanker holster over two long days of hunting earlier this month and the holster made the gun very comfortable. No pulling down on my belt, or bumping against truck doors or seats as sometimes happens with belt holsters.

Did you have any issues with the holster and binos conflicting their locale? I have come close to ordering one but want to know that the gun does not clash my binos.
No. I had my binos (Leupold Yosemite 6x30's) on the Leupold strap around my neck, they came down just about to mid-way on my chest, right by the butt of the grip. They didn't bang into or interfere with one another. A longer pair of binos worn lower (or a longer barreled revolver with the 6x30's) might have been an issue, but the Tanker holster puts the revolver in the lower left quadrant of your torso (when worn right hand), more of a mid-belly holster than a "chest" holster.
Posted By: EdM Re: What holster for an N-frame? - 10/20/12
Perfect as I am a Yosemite user as well. I think I will order given the 20% discount they have running. Appreciated.
I'm ordering one with their sale as well. Floral carved, lined, for a 4 5/8" Bisley Flattop 44spl. One way to see if the revolver might interfere with the binos would be to measure the overall length of the revolver, then take a measurement from the top of your belt to where the binos ride on your chest. The Tanker holster's belt strap places the muzzle right on the top of your belt; though, if you loosen the chest strap, you can get the holster to ride a bit lower.
Well... I have straps that I set up to use with all my Simply Rugged holsters so you can wear the pancake as a chest rig also.

They're so comfy, even a child can carry a big N frame - HEH-HEH wink

[Linked Image]
He's lovin' it.

Travis
Posted By: JRS3 Re: What holster for an N-frame? - 10/23/12
I am fond of Galco's cross draw for my 6" Classic. It can be worn up or crossdraw but I like the crossdraw while hunting. Since I am right handed, I carry my rifle on the right but the crossdraw on the left keeps the rifle from banging into it. The key is getting a belt that fits correctly.
© 24hourcampfire