Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Does anyone regularly carry an N-frame sized DA?

If so, what holster do you use and can you carry it concealed?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alukban

I've got a Hunter for my 4" N frames. It's a standard leather holster with a thumbsnap retainer and a forward cant. It's okay. Lots of guys like El Paso Saddlery's offerings. I bought mine simply because it was available and I despise having to order stuff via UPS or Snail Mail. I can't complain.

Carrying an N frame concealed poses some challenges. During the winter when a heavy coat is not out of place, there is no problem outside. I don't even try otherwise.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use several Simply Rugged holsters with N-frames...just a simple pancake style and it fits my needs. They can be made with straps to allow you to wear it IWB, but I never do that with an N-frame....N-frame and IWB are mutually exclusive (to me). Heavy cover garment is the best bet for concealed with an N-frame.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a 329 PD some in the hills and find the Milt Sparks 200AW style (Von Ringler made the one in the picture) works about perfect for my needs.

[Linked Image]

When in town it conceals well enough for Wyoming under a big vest or coat. grin
[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Concealed carry is very dependent on body size and width of the firearm you wish to carry. I'm a fat boy, and I like IWB holsters. I once carried two S&W 2nd Model Ejector .44 Special revolvers with 6.5" barrels inside the waist band with a sport shirt to a BBQ as a "test", and no one thought I was "packen". On a skinny guy, they would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I used a Galco "Classic" with the wide shoulder straps with various 3" barreled N frames for years, and liked it. Dual speed loader pouch with ammo on the off side helped even out the load and was very comfortable, but required a "loose fitting" jacket for concealment. Be ready to try several different modes of carry before your happy.

Last edited by timbo762; 10/11/12.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
IC B2

R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
alukban

I have a CABO IWB holster that works pretty well. I can't find them on the web anymore, so I think they are out of business. However, if you find a holster for an N frame IWB, make sure it rides high enough so the cylinder clears your belt. This makes for a less bulky waistline, and covers well with a shirt tail or waist length jacket.

Wear a good heavy belt at least 1 1/4" wide.

I also have a Maxpedition "Fat Boy" that is a sort of man-purse. With compact grips I can fit my M357 in the holster portion (barely). It isn't a quick draw outfit by any means, but is totally concealed. 2 speed loaders in the covered flap pocket and odds and ends as you wish in the other pockets. I hike with it a lot.

Rick
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I second the simply rugged pancake holster. Just picked one up for a Model 28 4" and its a dream to carry. Also have one for a 4 5/8" blackhawk, and a model 19 6"

Service and response time is fantastic, and reasonably priced.

simplyrugged.com I believe is the website.

A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I actually do have the Simply Rugged and one from Lobo Leather. I'm waiting on a Milt Sparks PMK though. The big revolvers are easy enough to hide OWB under a Carhartt if it goes down enough to cover it. I dunno if I could do IWB either. It is surprisingly small looking on my belt, now that I look at the pics myself. I'm a 32" waist, 5'10" and only 155 lbs.

I find that Simply Rugged makes their pancakes waaay too long past the muzzle. I ordered a 3" for my 4" and am wondering if that'll let it "ride shorter" and more concealable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like a comfortable way to carry my 4" 624. How is the quality? And how does one contact Simply Rugged?

Last edited by lastround; 10/11/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Safariland paddle

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got Simply Rugged, Milt Sparks and Bianchi the 5BH I think it is. I'll probably sell the Bianchi.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've got 2 n frame holsters I like to wear around the ranch. My favorite is a El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons with a forward cant & strap.

The second is also made by EPS in the pancake style. I find it's much better for concealment when carrying my S&W N frame Mountain Gun in .41 mag.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I've got 2 n frame holsters I like to wear around the ranch. My favorite is a El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons with a forward cant & strap.

The second is also made by EPS in the pancake style. I find it's much better for concealment when carrying my S&W N frame Mountain Gun in .41 mag.
Totally agree about the EPS Tom Threepersons holster-- I also have one of Roy Baker's original pancake holsters which I find really does the biz for concealed carry. With the exception of my 1917 all of my N Frames have 3 1/2 or 4-inch barrels so I am less concerned with IWB carry than might otherwise be the case.

Last edited by Old_Writer; 10/12/12.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the EPS Threepersons. That's how I carry my 45C MG.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I rather like my Bianchi cross draw for hunting, the jacket covers it well and i can still get to it when sitting the ground or stump. My other holster, actually it's a whole rig is the Border holster with nice belt with loops for spare rounds.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Simply Rugged Sourdough is how I carry my 3" 629. I have carried it IWB without issue though I mostly carry OWB. They are excellent holsters and you won't be disappointed in them or with Rob. I currently have 5 of them.

A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
OK, got me another Simply Rugged holster meant for a 3" N frame and I am happy. It rides high and tight with a 4" Mountain Gun smile

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I bought 2 Galco WheelGunner holsters last year. One for the 4" N Frame Smith and one for the Ruger BlackHawk. Around $50 and most everyone carries them. The others mentioned are also players.

Estacado

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I carried my 4"S&W 624 in an El Paso Tanker holster over two long days of hunting earlier this month and the holster made the gun very comfortable. No pulling down on my belt, or bumping against truck doors or seats as sometimes happens with belt holsters.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I carried my 4"S&W 624 in an El Paso Tanker holster over two long days of hunting earlier this month and the holster made the gun very comfortable. No pulling down on my belt, or bumping against truck doors or seats as sometimes happens with belt holsters.

Did you have any issues with the holster and binos conflicting their locale? I have come close to ordering one but want to know that the gun does not clash my binos.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 28 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.