Home
It would be the Glock 19, Dam I love this Model of the Glock.
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]
Glock 23
Originally Posted by Steelhead
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]

not that easy to conceal in the summer, I guess you could use inside the pants holster
I missed the part about what pistol must you be able to conceal whilst wearing a speedo in Key Largo.

I concentrated on if you could only have one pistol.
Agreed with where Steelhead is going: is concealment an issue/priority, and if so to what degree? If so, that changes things.
A Beretta 92FS with a D mainspring installed.
Tough one, either a Sig 226 or HK P30...more than likely the Sig.
If concealment is an issue, I'll take a LW Commander 1911 in .45ACP or .38Super.

If concealment isn't an issue, give me a Glock 20 as it covers all bases against 2 or 4 legged self-defense situations.

Compromise between the two? Gov't Model 1911 in .45ACP/Super or 10mm.
I missed the part about what pistol must you be able to conceal whilst wearing a speedo in Key Largo.

I concentrated on if you could only have one pistol.

I picture that scene in "Tropic Thunder".
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]

Cool weapon. Down in El Salvador, 1984.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

[Linked Image]

About 20 years old?
I was 23 then. A hard charging Sergeant of Marines.
For concealment

[Linked Image]
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just got pregnant.

Travis
I'd take a J-frame or LCR if I could only have ONE pistol for self defense.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just got pregnant.

Travis

If only I had a pair of Aviators.....lol

grin
My Glock 20 in 10mm. It will do just about everything I would ever need to do in a handgun.
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just got pregnant.

Travis

If you had aviators, he'd have had a double set of twins, both fully mature, out of both is ass and mangina.

The world couldn't deal with such a result.

A Marine Sgt with those two SMGs... the world shudders (and should).
J-frame 38spl.

In context of including hot summers/clothing, farm/shotshell use, and being foolproof.

Shoot my bobbed alloy commander with more authority, and value the compactness of the sig 938, too, but there's no getting around the do-all of the little j-frame.
For concealment

[Linked Image]

Mines more fun! [Linked Image] Click and enjoy the show!
Glock 19 is where the conversation begins, and should end.

If concealment n hot climmates is an issue, Glock 43

There is nothing the 10mm can do that the 9mm can't do to a person, and the 9mm is easier to control.
I'll split the difference and go Glock 18.
I'll split the difference and go Glock 18.

I'd take that over a frickin 10 lb UZI or MP-5 any ole day! Out of all the full auto guns I've got to play with, the Glock 18 was by far the most fun! And the fastest rate of fire, too.
I don't know that I like my Glock 22 more than anything else but it is what I'm most comfortable with, carry the most and what I train and teach with at our company. I could be happy with it for my one SD handgun.
I'm partial to my Glock 17. But, I've been mulling the idea of chopping the grip to G19 length.
Tough decision...sentimental favorite would be a J-frame because I carried one for so long, but if I could only have one, it would have to be something bigger. The rebuilt BHP below would work well, I guess.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Glad you didn't.

No desire to schit a T-Rex.

Dave
The Glock 19 has been surpassed by the G43 imho.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Glock 19 is where the conversation begins, and should end.

I agree unless the conversation involves the words "only" and "self defense."

Travis
Originally Posted by sandcritter
J-frame 38spl.

In context of including hot summers/clothing, farm/shotshell use, and being foolproof.

Shoot my bobbed alloy commander with more authority, and value the compactness of the sig 938, too, but there's no getting around the do-all of the little j-frame.

I have a J-frame 357 that I mostly shoot 38's in and a S 938. For me the 938 is pretty tough to beat in regard to concealment and shoots very well.
I've I'm in a majority white town that recently had a white thief killed while attacking a cop, I carry an T/C Contender in 22LR.

I've I'm in a majority black town that recently had a black thief killed while attacking a cop, I carry 2 Glock 17's and a few 33 round magazines as backup.
I only own one concealable handgun worthy of being called a self defence, it is a 1911. It is reliable and I can carry it all day every day.
For purely self defense against other humans, the G17/G19 would be the top of the list, by a long shot.
A Glock M21. End all be all.

1911 in 45 ACP/Super
G19 for me as well, but the G43 is growing on me quickly.
If for concealment, the XDS has really impressed me.

If for outer carry, or bedside, the Xd40, Glock 22/23/19 would be up tere.
very easy to conceal, reliable and (for me) THE EASIEST GLOCK TO SHOOT ACCURATELY...

G43 all the way

[Linked Image]
You losers must go straight blue jeans and polo 99% of the time.

Travis
i dig my 19
Glock 30 or Lightweight Commander. I'm fine with either.
Glock 19, or Colt Lightweight Commander in 45.
Originally Posted by viking

AS much as I am a very big fan of this ultra reliable, soft shooting, accurate big bore, it does not conceal nearly as easily as a G19, or single stack 1911.

I did executive protection years ago for the governor, and due to the size of the issued G21, and related printing of such under a suit coat, I opted to carry my Kimber 1911, as it definitely concealed easier in an IWB rig from Sparks.

Where the G21/G21SF really shines, though is not often mentioned, is as an outdoorsman's sidearm. Especially when running heavy for caliber, cast bullets. Essentially running +P to .45 Super loads. With a basic load, including one in the chamber, and a reload with a +4 extension, that is 31 rounds of hard hitting .45 caliber projectiles.

cool
[Linked Image]
1911...don't really care which one but prefer a Commander in .38 Super...

[Linked Image]

...as to Glocks...like women...life is too short to go through it with an ugly one...

Bob
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by viking

AS much as I am a very big fan of this ultra reliable, soft shooting, accurate big bore, it does not conceal nearly as easily as a G19, or single stack 1911.

I did executive protection years ago for the governor, and due to the size of the issued G21, and related printing of such under a suit coat, I opted to carry my Kimber 1911, as it definitely concealed easier in an IWB rig from Sparks.

Where the G21/G21SF really shines, though is not often mentioned, is as an outdoorsman's sidearm. Especially when running heavy for caliber, cast bullets. Essentially running +P to .45 Super loads. With a basic load, including one in the chamber, and a reload with a +4 extension, that is 31 rounds of hard hitting .45 caliber projectiles.

cool

We were always pretty fond of the G21 as a duty gun for uniform wear

40 rounds of 230 grain Gold Dots are aweful comforting
With a limitation to one gun, concealment becomes a big issue in a lot of places, so a Glock 43 for me.
As much as I like the 45 and the 40 the 9mm is much better recoil wise and much easier to shoot and make multiple hits in a short time frame. With today's ammo, I'm not sure the 45 has that much over the 9mm as a defense carry round against humans. The Glock was built and designed for the 9mm and I believe the Glock is most dependable when chambered for this round. The Glock 19 hides as easy as most compacts with the right holster. For a carry pistol and easy to conceal the Glock 19 rules the roost.
Sig P 226 for winter carry, and my Glock 43 for summer carry.

Gotta have one for each season.

Virgil B.
If I could only have 1 pistol for self defense then I would want 1 of each.

Mike
same, the 19 is #1, the 17 is my second choice. I have a 43 and a Kahr PM9, they have their place but the 19 is best for me.

I wonder what Mas Adooobie would say?
I chose the 21 because there was no criteria for a defense pistol. Winter, summer, OC.....
thought about this one for awhile. If for some obscure reason, I just HAD to pick one for SD, it would by my old series 70 Commander.
[Linked Image]
H&K MP5K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The UZI with extended stock = Useful and effective weapon. MP5K = Worthless noisemaker. (but they sure are cool)
Originally Posted by RJM
1911...don't really care which one but prefer a Commander in .38 Super...

[Linked Image]

...as to Glocks...like women...life is too short to go through it with an ugly one...

Bob

Schwiiiing!!

[Linked Image]
I've concealed carried quite a few, finally settled on the Glock 19.
3" model 65 Smith. Herretts Jordan trooper grips.
Kahr PM 9.... because it make an easy "always" gun.
Glock 20 10mm is the one gun that does it all.

It can be concealed if needed but OP did not specify concealed carry or even two legged defense. Just "defense". A Glock 20 covers all bases.
GG, I spent a day in a shoothouse observing some Brits shooting those in the SD version {silencer]. They liked to put 2-3 in the blowhole and I never saw a miss. They were that good w/ everything they shot.

The Uzi is pretty cool...if you are a jewish woman.

The G19 is the choice of the Ubermensch.

mike r
Kahr CM9..
Because I Will carry it. Great everyday gun.

Beretta 92SB Compact M

J-frame .38.

My average daily risk level is low.
If I was in some theoretical universe where I could only have one pistol, I guess I would want whichever one I could theoretically get the most ammo for. And if they stuck me in a theoretical universe that only had glocks, I would shoot my way to the nearest f-ing wormhole asap.
Glock 17
Sig 226 9MM.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
GG, I spent a day in a shoothouse observing some Brits shooting those in the SD version {silencer]. They liked to put 2-3 in the blowhole and I never saw a miss. They were that good w/ everything they shot.

The Uzi is pretty cool...if you are a jewish woman.

The G19 is the choice of the Ubermensch.

mike r
The MP5SD is a very different weapon than the MP5k. SMG's are worthwhile weapons, machine pistols are worthless.
Only one for defense is tuff.

I carry in two environment, in the urban environment I currently carry a CZ-82. If the woods I borrow a friend HK USP in 45.

I am currently saving money to buy a Glock 20 and 43. BTW not to high-jack the post but would love feedback on the Glock 43.

But with your original post in mind and I could only have one I guess I would do a Gllock 19 with a 960 rowland conversion for the woods.
GG, some people have access to MP5ks w/ silencer. Some people can shoot them w/ mastery. Because this is outside of your experience does not alter the facts. The secret service used to run micro and mini Uzis in a very effective manner. It is the archer not the arrow.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
GG, some people have access to MP5ks w/ silencer. Some people can shoot them w/ mastery. Because this is outside of your experience does not alter the facts. The secret service used to run micro and mini Uzis in a very effective manner. It is the archer not the arrow.

mike r
I have a LOT of experience with SMG's. The USSS had butt-stocks on their UZI's. An MP5K with an extended buttstock such as the one on the PDW can be effective. Even the crappy H&K retractable stock can turn a useless MP5K into an effective weapon. But without the buttstock, you're much better armed with a handgun. I've seen it time and time and time again. Put up 5 targets at nearly any range, one guy with a handgun and one guy with a stockless machine pistol, the guy with the handgun will put effective fire on all 5 targets in much shorter time.

Now when you extend the stock, everything changes. My comments were directed to the MP5K that was in MM's photo; worhtless. Take that same SMG and put the PDW stock on it, and it becomes an effective weapon.
Sorry, you are wrong. The Brits in question had a sling/harness system that allowed them to press out the MP5k against resistance and retract it to its original position. They normally fired in semi-auto mode but were very capable in FA also.

It is obvious that it would be easier to fire any weapon w/ a buttstock.
What you are missing is that there are people w/ skills that exceed your limitations and experience.

mike r
Most machine guns are good for two things, to repel bad guys who try to border a ship and for cover fire. Urban door to door, 12 ga with 00 buck
Originally Posted by bea175
Urban door to door, 12 ga with 00 buck

Why would you say that?
Glock 29 for me,

but for my locale I want defense against critters as well as humans
Ingram M 10 with operational briefcase.
Glock 30S.
Star PD
So far, so good.
Dude don't argue with Kevin, he is the Walter Mitty of the fire.
Today it was a S&W 642, that took the head off this copperhead that bit my dog. Co*ksuckingmotherf*ckingSOB snake.

[Linked Image]
Phuuck the snake.....how's the pooch?

George
Originally Posted by RufusG
If I was in some theoretical universe where I could only have one pistol, I guess I would want whichever one I could theoretically get the most ammo for. And if they stuck me in a theoretical universe that only had glocks, I would shoot my way to the nearest f-ing wormhole asap.

now rufus, you know you don't think that way, with the heat in arizona those steel guns get so hot you can't handle them, that's why glocks rule.
Originally Posted by NH K9

George

He's sleeping. Jammed a Benadryl down his throat and took him to the vet. They shot him up with antibiotics and steroids. He should pull through ok.

He just ate a few minutes ago, just a bunch of swelling in his foot/leg.
Glad to hear it.....hate that he's hurting.

You're both lucky to have each other!
I hate copperheads, in the fall you cannot see them in the leaves. Glad your dog is ok.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Glock 30S.

After handling, shooting and carrying a 30S a bit, I am inclined to agree.

My duty and personal handguns are all 45's, save one Ruger LCP and a couple of 22's. 'Serious use' falls to a grip-modded G30 or whatever 1911 I'm in love with for the moment.

If you put me on the spot, I'd keep the damned Glock.
My Sig P220 has worked for many years. I see no reason to change.
Best wishes for your dog...
Originally Posted by NH K9

George

He's sleeping. Jammed a Benadryl down his throat and took him to the vet. They shot him up with antibiotics and steroids. He should pull through ok.

He just ate a few minutes ago, just a bunch of swelling in his foot/leg.
I do not like a [bleep] snake. I kilt one yesterday with the Cub Cadet. This spring my daughter was out jogging in our back pasture and got struck by one. A small rattler. Didn't break the skin. Probably a Masaugua.

Years ago my wife's Poodle got bit. He just kept staggering around and drinking water and finally came out of it. She was a little kid and her mom didn't drive. Her dad was gone so there was not much to do out in the sticks.

I despise a damned snake. I think we kilt eleven one year, all Masaugua's, just baling one meadow. Controlled burning is hard on the [bleep]. I'm glad your dog is okay.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
thought about this one for awhile. If for some obscure reason, I just HAD to pick one for SD, it would by my old series 70 Commander.
[Linked Image]

IMHO You win on style points
If everyday was a Bar B Q my nickle series 70 would also be the one

I have fought being a Glockboy for years but the more you play with them the more you understand its quite a tool no question
I am just in love with my 17L

Hank
You cannot be 'in love' with a Glock. That's like admitting you took a blow-up doll to Cancun on your honeymoon.
I'm partial to my Glock 17. But, I've been mulling the idea of chopping the grip to G19 length.
Reason? Not much different length. The part that mainly prints on a Glock, assuming a good IWB holster, is the back of the slide anyway, and a switch to a 19 won't change that any. As for slide length, in an IWB it makes no difference. Might as well keep the slightly better handling characteristics of the 17, I say.
I've tried - twice - and can't really warm up to Glocks.

So if I was allowed only one, and it was mostly an urban-type environment, then I'd pick a 9mm that had the weight and capacity of a Glock, but works better:

[Linked Image]

But throw in critters and fewer people, a 1911 would probably be the choice, either in 10mm or .45.

If big critters were the issue, and people only a rare threat, then a large magnum revolver, like say a 44 mag S&W 629.

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The Glock 19 has been surpassed by the G43 imho.
If I was going to limit myself to so few rounds at the ready, I'd go with a revolver over a Glock.
You losers must go straight blue jeans and polo 99% of the time.

Travis
You just described my daily uniform.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

now rufus, you know you don't think that way, with the heat in arizona those steel guns get so hot you can't handle them, that's why glocks rule.

Hot I can deal with, melted not so much. laugh
I have a 43 and a 19's and a 17 and a 42...a sharp dressed man has to have a watch and a glock for every occasion. Working on a 26 to complete my collection.

I guess beauty too me is in the function and capability of the device in my hands, I don't warm up to nothing anyway.
Sig 226
Originally Posted by budman5
Kahr CM9..
Because I Will carry it. Great everyday gun.

The tactical situation was not defined so that's my choice as well since it's what I carry as a concealed weapon. Any other handgun would be openly carried for sporting use and not so much for self defense.

When in the house the defensive weapon is not a pistol but a Remington 870 with buckshot - Federal Personal Defense loads to be specific.
If I can only take a pistol , (not a rifle or shotgun) it usually is a Glock 20 with 2 extra magazines .
Liking your choice and, above all, being able to shoot it well, are the qualities that make one's choice the best for them.
Mine is the SIG 220 Combat. Built with internal coatings to resist corrosion, proven as reliable as anything out there, and even useful as a club, are why. But, above all, I shoot it under combat conditions better than any other I've shot.
If I really need a lighter gun, or one that holds lots of ammo, then it would be the 5.7 FN. E
If the concealment thing isn't too important, I could also go with my old LAPD issue 92 Beretta. No malfunctions or other problems to date. And I shoot it quite well.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Wilson or Christensen 1911............really no difference between the two other than that the Christensen is a Commanders size.

Or a S&W E-Series Commander.

After than, probably a Betetta 92.

Or a G-19.

Lots of good pistols & I'm comfortable will all the guns I own; I would not feel handicapped with any of them.

MM
Originally Posted by SargeMO
You cannot be 'in love' with a Glock. That's like admitting you took a blow-up doll to Cancun on your honeymoon.
I resent this post!!!Don't believe anthing my WIFE ever says! blush Oh,BTW,I would opt for a G19 with proper ammo.Easy to work on and maintain,high cap with joy sticks available not to mention G17 mags.If its confined to an evidence locker for a while,no big deal they make 'em every day. wink

I don't know about being "the only one," but the Sig P938 here in the Scorpion model, is eminently concealable, and handy.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RGK
If the concealment thing isn't too important, I could also go with my old LAPD issue 92 Beretta. No malfunctions or other problems to date. And I shoot it quite well.
Bob

[Linked Image]

There is someone out there that likes those.
Bob,

I really like that pistol. You are right, they are very reliable.

Stan
Glock 20. Carried the one that sits on my bedside for 16 years as a Deputy Sheriff in Texas. If I could only have ONE Pistol for self defense it would be my Glock 20.
Sig 229 Stainless Steel Elite. That would work just fine.
Well, since this is a fantasy thing I'll throw another one into the mix...this one is a Colt accurized .45, set up for service pistol competition. Work was done by Jim Hoag in LA. It's now on its 2nd barrel, fitted by the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit). No malfunctions with somewhere over 10,000 rounds downrange. The caveat is that they were all ball, mostly Federal 230 grain stuff.

Even though it's a match gun, it's reliable. And there's precedent...Bill Allard, NYPD stakeout squad, shot most of his suspects with an accurized Colt like this one (Bill has been in more gunfights than any other cop in the history of the NYPD).

Great pistol that I have a long history with.
Bob
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don't know about being "the only one," but the Sig P938 here in the Scorpion model, is eminently concealable, and handy.

[Linked Image]

I'm no expert on pistols or tactics but when I think "self defense," I think last moment, last option, breath-smelling distance. Outside of very close quarter threat to life and limb, my nine out of ten preferred options are fleeing or extricating myself or loved ones in any way from the threat.

To me, this dictates always carrying which excludes the bigger guns. My P226 would certainly work but outside of winter it's hard to carry covertly and comfortably and is fairly heavy. This is why I picked the P938 which is very comfortable and concealable in a IWB carry. Also as a lefty, it has an ambidextrous safety and is accurate.
I'm really liking my Springfield XD Mod.2 in .40 S/W. If I could only have one, it might very well be it.
I would trade it for a Witness Protection Ithaca 12 gauge. Target shooting at paper that doesn't shoot back is all fun and games.
If somebody is trying to kill me or rape my children and beat up my wife the adrenaline would be flowing and I want the first shot I fire to be #4 buckshot from a short barreled 12 gauge.
Let the FBI carry the 9mm. I want a 12 gauge pump.
whelennut
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image]
The Governor. Have to like being able to deliver 24 quick .41 caliber lead balls on target out of a single loaded cylinder. Short of an extended mag, that beats a service sized Glock on firepower at the ready.
It's ironic that after all the years of Taurus and other companies ripping Smith off, Smith took Taurus' concept, that they just couldn't execute properly, and ran with it.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
It's ironic that after all the years of Taurus and other companies ripping Smith off, Smith took Taurus' concept, that they just couldn't execute properly, and ran with it.
Very true.

To me, this dictates always carrying which excludes the bigger guns.

You hear this a lot, and it makes my head hurt every time.

It seems to me, you are carrying that gun on the off chance you need to shoot it, and in that case it better do the job.

So the first step shouldn't be to pick something you like to carry. You need to pick something that you shoot really well, because I'm assuming when the SHTF, you are going to need all the help you can get, and you need to pick something that provides some reasonable margin of error in the oomph department.

Then you figure out how to carry it.

To me, this dictates always carrying which excludes the bigger guns.

You hear this a lot, and it makes my head hurt every time.

It seems to me, you are carrying that gun on the off chance you need to shoot it, and in that case it better do the job.

So the first step shouldn't be to pick something you like to carry. You need to pick something that you shoot really well, because I'm assuming when the SHTF, you are going to need all the help you can get, and you need to pick something that provides some reasonable margin of error in the oomph department.

Then you figure out how to carry it.
Bingo. Couldn't agree more. It always frazzles me when I hear that, too.

Rufus and TRH, I guess it depends on both what your definition of "defense" is and what then your overall philosophy of engaging another human being with a firearm is. I wonder how many gun toters have thought that last one through. Even if you've gotten to that point I'm sure you've noticed there's a lot compromise and then different choices made by individuals on what they want to compromise on. See here in this thread.

Anyway, had both Sig's, a S&W 357, and a 45 out today. It was a beautiful day to shoot.

Rufus and TRH, I guess it depends on both what your definition of "defense" is and what then your overall philosophy of engaging another human being with a firearm is. I wonder how many gun toters have thought that last one through. Even if you've gotten to that point I'm sure you've noticed there's a lot compromise and then different choices made by individuals on what they want to compromise on. See here in this thread.

Anyway, had both Sig's, a S&W 357, and a 45 out today. It was a beautiful day to shoot.

I agree one size does not fit all. But I think people can conceal a bit bigger piece than they might assume they can.
Bea175: I have carried (both professionally and personally!) Glock 22's with high capacity magazines, night sights and top quality defense rounds for more than two decades now.
I have as yet to come across a situation I could not handle or felt "under-gunned" in!
One does not "fall in love with" a self defense pistol!
One must "trust" in a reliable, safe and quick to get into action pistol for defending ones self.
And LOOKS have very little or NOTHING AT ALL to do with "self defense"!
Sheesh - get real people.
I trust and rely on my Glocks COMPLETELY.
Well placed and quickly placed 40 S&W quality bullets WILL solve, self defense situations - this is easy to do with the Glock 22.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire