Home
Posted By: deflave The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
I wish I bought one a long time ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: viking Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
Nice.
Posted By: tominboise Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
I have two. I like them. I wish one had a can on it...
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
My Ruger's are going bye-bye.

This thing is incredible.

Travis
Posted By: 257heaven Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
Man. That's a harsh statement. I guess I need to try one.

Believe me, I'm a Ruger guy when it comes to 22 autos, but this thing is ridiculous.

Travis
To be more clear, I'm comparing them to 22/45 MKIII's.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
My Ruger's are going bye-bye.

This thing is incredible.

Travis

eek
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
I wish they made the Black Label threaded. I'd have one....
Posted By: cv540 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/12/15
What ammo? I hav one I have neglected.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/13/15
Originally Posted by cv540
What ammo? I hav one I have neglected.

All of it.

grin

I settled on the American Eagle stuff just because they're HP and it is the killing season.

Travis
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I wish they made the Black Label threaded. I'd have one....

That thing is bad ass looking.

Tactical Solutions would probably thread it for you.

Travis
Posted By: RJM Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/13/15
Nice looking gun Travis... Had one a long time ago and it was a good shooter...one of the 5.5" heavy barrel models I think... Grip just didn't fit me quite right so it went down the road...

Bob
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/13/15
Can you actually take it apart easily, and clean it? If so a big plus over Rugers smirk
Originally Posted by RJM
Nice looking gun Travis... Had one a long time ago and it was a good shooter...one of the 5.5" heavy barrel models I think... Grip just didn't fit me quite right so it went down the road...

Bob

I love those things.

I also love those 10" Ruger bull barrels (might be a dick joke here) but they go for pretty good money these days.

Travis
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Can you actually take it apart easily, and clean it?

I was just wondering that myself. grin

Travis
This thing is nothing short of UBER.

But seriously. A fugking Browning?

[Linked Image]
....made a call for you to a friend I have who does a lot of competitive plate shooting with both rimfire and centerfire.

I knew he had at least two Buckmarks and one with a Tactical Solutions upper and he now runs...Ruger 22/45s with TS uppers. I asked about the Buckmarks and he he said the major problem is the upper and lower are held together by a steel screw that threads into an aluminum threaded hole. Over time all of the Buckmarks became loose and the screw could not be tightened further without stripping out the hole.

The TS upper started out as tight and soon got loose. He cured the problem with a shim but eventually gave up and went Ruger...

The screw in question is the one that one has to unscrew to take the gun down for normal cleaning and maintenance.

Bob
Rugers 22 autos strip easy once a guy adds the Majestic Arms speed strip kit.

Take it down once to swap the bolt pin for its replacement. After that take down is merely removig a single allen bolt.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Take it down once to swap the bolt pin for its replacement. After that take down is merely removig a single allen bolt.

Never even heard of it.

Time to google!

Thanks bunghole.

Dave
Originally Posted by RJM
....made a call for you to a friend I have who does a lot of competitive plate shooting with both rimfire and centerfire.

I knew he had at least two Buckmarks and one with a Tactical Solutions upper and he now runs...Ruger 22/45s with TS uppers. I asked about the Buckmarks and he he said the major problem is the upper and lower are held together by a steel screw that threads into an aluminum threaded hole. Over time all of the Buckmarks became loose and the screw could not be tightened further without stripping out the hole.

The TS upper started out as tight and soon got loose. He cured the problem with a shim but eventually gave up and went Ruger...

The screw in question is the one that one has to unscrew to take the gun down for normal cleaning and maintenance.

Bob

The manual basically says "don't take this thing apart."

Odd.

Travis
That is odd as everything I went over and read on some of the other forums says the gun needs to be kept very clean to run...and cleaning after 1500 rounds is to strip down the top end...

This was not a bright picture...

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=2779

Bob

I'll try and keep track how many rounds it takes to make it not work.

Has about 300 through it at this point.

Travis
I rarely clean my Rugers MKs... Oil the bolt, wipe out the feedramp area and just keep shooting.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/13/15
Any feed problems? I purchased a Browning Buckmark about 6 years and it simply would not function with CCI's.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/13/15
Originally Posted by RJM

The TS upper started out as tight and soon got loose.
He cured the problem with a shim but eventually gave up and went Ruger...

Bob

Sounds like a Heli-coil would fix that problem, if available in that size.

I'm still fond of the Victor, though it is fairly heavy. I probably need to strengthen the magazine spring, to see if it will feed better.

[Linked Image]

The push button allows it to take down fairly easily, even though the button is backed by a fairly strong spring.

then there's...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: k20350 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
Try and find one of the Buckmark rifles they made far a few years. Buddy has one and it damn near shoots itself squirrel hunting. It really is an UBER accurate .22. Ugly? Sure is IMHO........ But damn does it shoot well. When they came out my LGS manager told me their gunsmith played with one and it shot as well as his Kimber .22 at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
k,

My dad has a couple of those. The bull barrel and sporter version. His don't have the laminate though.

Accurate as hell.

Travis
tex,

Stop one-upping my schit on my thread!

grin

Travis
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
This thing is nothing short of UBER.

But seriously. A fugking Browning?

[Linked Image]
Very nice.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
tex,

Stop one-upping my schit on my thread!

grin

Travis

eye's just a showin' the Buckmark's grandaddy...

grin
Posted By: alukban Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
Mine is like a laser beam also.

I never take mine apart. I "clean" it with a paper towel where I see gunk (bolt/breach face) and then lube it. It's very easy to tell when it is getying dirty enough to malf - the slide doesn't move as fast smile

They seem to feed shorts just fine too - as a SA repeater.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Very nice.

Everybody needs a suppressed 22 pistol.

They're fugking awesome.

Travis
I'm going to put a red dot on top of this one and see what it's capable of.

Travis
With That gaping hole when slide locked I wouldn't take that thing apart ever!!!

Hose it out, shake it dry, doodle with a q-tip and keep banging away!

Mike
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15

Everybody needs a suppressed 22 pistol.

They're fugking awesome.

Travis

Dang it 'flave, ya gotta keep rubbin' it in! I'm 4 months into my wait for a tax stamp. I got my TacSol barreled Buckmark waiting for it. I just added a TacSol rail/sight and a little Bushnell dot. Nice rig but it really needs the Sparrow SS sitting in my dealers safe!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
I have that Sparrow coming, but no tacsol'ed buckmark to slap it on. Would like to have that Black Label, but don't know if the full-length BL rail will mate to the tacsol......
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/14/15
If it helps you out any, the distance between the holes on my 4" TacSol barrel is approx 2.42". I like the looks of that full length rail vs a half rail like the TacSol
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
is your 4 incher the threaded one?
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Hose it out, shake it dry, doodle with a q-tip and keep banging away!

Mike

Been doing that since I was 14.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
Originally Posted by tmitch

Dang it 'flave, ya gotta keep rubbin' it in! I'm 4 months into my wait for a tax stamp. I got my TacSol barreled Buckmark waiting for it. I just added a TacSol rail/sight and a little Bushnell dot. Nice rig but it really needs the Sparrow SS sitting in my dealers safe!

I'm going to get the TacSol rail also.

I have a C-More red dot that needs to be relocated...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
is your 4 incher the threaded one?

yes

I'm going to get the TacSol rail also.

I have a C-More red dot that needs to be relocated...

[Linked Image]

Ride of the Valkyries playin' in the background of that pic?
All this jibber-jabber about suppressed, tacsol-ized Buckmarks made me get off my azz and order the Black Label I've been eyeing, from Darrik.

Now to find the threaded TacSol barrel....
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
Lunchtime - think I'll go look at Buckmark pistols right now!
True story...guy in our gun club in Pasco, WA was shooting a match somewhere and complaining that rimfire pistols weren't accurate and a Browning rep overheard him and asked if he could do better.

So this guy (Bill, and I can't remember his last name) designed the Buckmark for Browning. But he wasn't totally happy with the finished product as I recall him telling me years ago. Guy had 2 hearing aids and was deaf as a post.

I have a Ruger 22/45 MKII and I never thought they were that hard to take apart and reassemble once you figure out how to do it.
Originally Posted by 270winchester

So this guy (Bill, and I can't remember his last name)

Do you mean little Billy Browning?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
The Browning Medalist dates to the 1960's, and was a Belgian-made pistol. There was also a lightweight plinking version also made in Belgium, called the Challenger, which borrowed some of the Medalist's design.

I think the Challenger is the pistol that eventually morphed into the Buckmark, and was eventually made by ATI in Utah.

Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/15/15
All this jibber-jabber about suppressed, tacsol-ized Buckmarks made me get off my azz and order the Black Label I've been eyeing, from Darrik.

Now to find the threaded TacSol barrel....

Did the hole dimensions for the tacsol barrel correspond to the Black Label rail?
no. but I figger if I have to D&T the bottom rail to the TacSol, I might as well redo the top hole, too.....
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
deflave,

My rig has been seen here before, so bear with me....

It runs awesome on just plain ole Blazer bulk and is silly accurate.

That's an el-cheapo Tru-Glo reflex sight that has been nothing but a champ.

The loader is called The "Ultimate Cliploader" and works very well to keep mulitiple mags running with ease. It also works with Ruger Mark II, III, and 22/45.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
Yep. Yours is the one that got me interested in them.

Nice setup.

Travis
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

i bought a former son in law a buckmark some years ago. One of the issues if i am remembering correctly, was some plastic in there.
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
deflave,

My rig has been seen here before, so bear with me....

It runs awesome on just plain ole Blazer bulk and is silly accurate.

That's an el-cheapo Tru-Glo reflex sight that has been nothing but a champ.

The loader is called The "Ultimate Cliploader" and works very well to keep mulitiple mags running with ease. It also works with Ruger Mark II, III, and 22/45.

[Linked Image]

'flave's thread here got me to go look at Buckmarks yesterday and I'm on my way in a few minutes to pull the trigger on a BM Lite Gray because of you! crazy

Never even heard of it.

Time to google!

Thanks bunghole.
Dave

I've never been a fan of the toggle link on my Ruger pistols so this works great. Like i said fight it once to replace the bolt link then every cleaning after that is merely taking the allen screw out to remove the bolt and then clean the barrel on the frame.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Especially if we have a shooter topside as well.

grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yondering Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
I had a Tactical Solutions barrel on my Buckmark for a while, but it wasn't as accurate as the factory barrel. It did look cooler though.
I do like the Tactical Solutions top rail, it was a good addition, especially since my factory plastic top piece was warped.

The Ruger's are still quieter suppressed though. The Buckmark lets out more ejection port noise and makes a "tink" sound when the bolt closes.

[Linked Image]

Shortened factory barrel and QD thread adapter
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Especially if we have a shooter topside as well.

grin

[Linked Image]

Uber.

Reminds me of High School when we still had jackrabbits down here.

We had to make due with Hendrix though.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
Deflave: And this... I am at a small SW Montana gunshow last Friday scooping up the opening minute bargains along with my BuckMark owning friend.
I spy a minty Ruger MK-II all stanless heavy barrel target model obama proof pistol and soon its in the trunk of my car.
My friend buys a pair of older Remington rimfire Rifles there but that table holder who sold those guns to him had left a couple of important "add-ons" for one of the Rifles at his home and would bring it to "us" on Saturday.
My friend had family coming into town from out of state Saturday so I was "chosen" to drive the 120 miles (round trip) back to the show to retrieve said items the next day.
Bright and early Saturday I walk in and retrieve the items in question and NOW on his table is a heavy barrel stainless BuckMark WITH an extra barrel and Weaver mounting system rail on that extra barrel.
The rig was with the original box and a red dot sight was on the mounted stainless heavy barrel!
ALL for $275.00!
I cursed the VarmintWife for only giving me $1,000.0 per month allowance (mad money!) as it was the 13th and I had spent it all already!
I would have bought that pistol (NO obama forms!) in a heartbeat but I was right next to broke from buying 3 pistols in the last 2 weeks.
I did take his name and number and if he still has it on September 30th of this month I will drive to his home and buy it outright.
Yeah I REALLY like BuckMarks!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Yondering,

I agree the Browning is a little louder. I thought it was my imagination at first though.

I do want to try one more Ruger though:

http://ruger.com/products/markIIIDE/specSheets/10155.html

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
Wassa matta with the one ya got?
Wassa matta with the one ya got?

The Rugers?

Travis
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15

Never even heard of it.

Time to google!

Thanks bunghole.
Dave

I've never been a fan of the toggle link on my Ruger pistols so this works great. Like i said fight it once to replace the bolt link then every cleaning after that is merely taking the allen screw out to remove the bolt and then clean the barrel on the frame.

My gunnie was just telling me about that last week when I dropped the Kidd off. Hadn't heard about it before.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/16/15
Yondering,

I agree the Browning is a little louder. I thought it was my imagination at first though.

I do want to try one more Ruger though:

http://ruger.com/products/markIIIDE/specSheets/10155.html

Travis

Been thinking pretty hard on one of those myself. Gotta get setup for a threaded pistola.
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/17/15
Originally Posted by Yondering

Shortened factory barrel and QD thread adapter
[Linked Image]

Yondering, what's the QD thread adapter on your factory barrel? A custom made piece?
Posted By: Yondering Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/17/15

Yondering, what's the QD thread adapter on your factory barrel? A custom made piece?

Yes, something I made on the lathe. I cut interrupted threads on the barrel and adapter, so the suppressor locks in place with just 1/6 turn. Only reason for the adapter is NFA laws; I can't legally modify my suppressor by cutting the interrupted threads.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/17/15
This fugging thing is SA-WEET...... and the leetle laser is gonna be some kinda fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boatboy Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15

Quite a while ago someone brought these up and my friend Bricktop we off and said if you couldnt put it back together stock you were a stupid SOB

I miss him around here haha

Trav I am quite suprised you like the BM that much. I may have to pay better atten to them

Hank
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15
This fugging thing is SA-WEET...... and the leetle laser is gonna be some kinda fun.

[Linked Image]

That's pretty UBE.

Feeds slick don't it?

Travis
Originally Posted by boatboy

Quite a while ago someone brought these up and my friend Bricktop we off and said if you couldnt put it back together stock you were a stupid SOB

Trav I am quite suprised you like the BM that much. I may have to pay better atten to them

Hank

Damn cyber-bullies.

grin

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15
Went to town and picked up a red-dot-of-death. It increased the UBE-i-ness.

[Linked Image]
Oh fugk yes they do.

Travis
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15

[Linked Image]

Nice. Where'd ya steal it?
from Darrik. ssssshhhh......
Originally Posted by boatboy

Hank

I'd never shot a Buckmark till I fondled Clarke's. That thing runs like slick snot and with that trigger it hit stuff pretty damn easy.

That being said, I've (now to jinx myself) had very few issues with either my old 22/45 and new Lite. I'll admit to a rough education after I took the old one apart the first time. But once you have it figured out it's not rocket science.
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15
That's the Fastfire III, correct? 3 minute dot?
yessir
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15
I think I need one of those....
Posted By: k20350 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/18/15
k,

My dad has a couple of those. The bull barrel and sporter version. His don't have the laminate though.

Accurate as hell.

Travis

I swear we loaded a mag with mixed .22's random's and it still shot an inch. Just to test it out. Those rifles are impressively acurate.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/19/15
Originally Posted by local_dirt

[Linked Image]

Nice. Where'd ya steal it?

No big deal. He's got plenty. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/19/15
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I'd never shot a Buckmark till I fondled Clarke's.

I still appreciate that.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/19/15
UBER upgrade:

[Linked Image]

Dave
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/19/15
Y'all are a bunch of enablers... cool

[Linked Image]
FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE

Mike

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/20/15
Finally....... got to bloody the bookmark.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/20/15
Seems we're all enjoying the Buckmarks.

Travis

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/20/15
except the rabbits....
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/20/15
Poor fugkers.

Dave
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/21/15
Quick trip at lunch to sight in this new fangled red dot sight thingy. Had enough wind to make the target stand shake almost as much as me, so I started at 15 yds to see if I was on paper. Off sand bags, first 10 shots on left and next 10 on the right. I haven't touched the sight adjustments yet - pretty darn close out of the box...

[Linked Image]

Several orders of magnitude better than I've been able to do with open sights since I've had to start wearing glasses and go down the bifocal/trifocal road. I see more of these reflex sights in my future...
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/21/15
J-

I've been enamored by the Buckmarks for some time. But they are very scarce in my circles. I got impatient having a URX Contour on order for half a year and snagged a Ruger 22/45 Lite as soon as they hit the shelf.

Pistol sucks. Very hard to shoot well. Not impressed w the accuracy

Wanted to ask which model pistol you have. I can see the image, but between the various runs of Campers with various barrel and sight packages it gets confusing.

And also...the base you have. Is that a Tac Sol w integral rear sight or something else? The ability to mount a RMR sight was a turn off when I was researching. Things seem quite easy
Grey Lite?
Correct on model and Tac Sol rail. The local Sportsman's Warehouse and LGS both had the pistol on the shelf, and SW had the rail and optic. Nice to find it all locally and not have to order and wait...
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/21/15
Yeah, once I learned they were making threaded versions, I just waited until one appeared.

Love this thing.

Travis
I'll swing by Spokane Sportsmans today since in down that way. Thanks
I missed 3 grouse last week w the 22/45 Lite. Best I could do off a rest was 8" at 40. Not cutting it
I'm pretty jacked up also, though it's more the optic for me. I essentially quit shooting handguns 12 years ago when I had to start wearing glasses/bifocals and deal with that crap. It ain't fun when everything's a damn blur and you can't hit chit. Now with trifocals, I can make things work and have been playing with reading glasses to get a focus from arms length to 25 yards or so.

I've been intrigued with these small reflex sights for a while now and today was my first exposure - I feel like I just got my eyesight back. Not having to fight all that crap and shooting with both eyes open with a sharp sight picture - this is the chit! This thread has cost me $800 so far and I see more optics in my future. What is all this threaded barrel/can business you keep referring to? grin
I think I'd like the Trijicon RMR w 12 MOA Chevron but I've never used a mini on a handgun. Any opinions on the right MOA size for non defensive precision work?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/21/15
The Fastfire III with 3 moa dot fills my needs.
The 3 moa dot seemed perfect for the little I got to shoot it today. My groups on paper we're much tighter than I've been able to do with open sights - plenty precise for head shots on grouse...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/21/15
or rabbits.....

[Linked Image]
For sure a sweet looking rig. Struck out at Sportsman's Spokane. Just a cheap, plain jane Camper
Buy the Camper and order a TAC Sol barrel - total price should be close to the Lite... wink

Or just order one here:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/73753/redirect
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/22/15
Originally Posted by JGray
I'm pretty jacked up also, though it's more the optic for me. I essentially quit shooting handguns 12 years ago when I had to start wearing glasses/bifocals and deal with that crap. It ain't fun when everything's a damn blur and you can't hit chit. Now with trifocals, I can make things work and have been playing with reading glasses to get a focus from arms length to 25 yards or so.

I've been intrigued with these small reflex sights for a while now and today was my first exposure - I feel like I just got my eyesight back. Not having to fight all that crap and shooting with both eyes open with a sharp sight picture - this is the chit! This thread has cost me $800 so far and I see more optics in my future. What is all this threaded barrel/can business you keep referring to? grin

JGray,

They are pretty slick. I cannot get very fast with them out of the holster or up close, but for stuff like rabbits and gophers they are awesome.

50yd shots on gophers are pretty common with the red dot set up.

Travis
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I think I'd like the Trijicon RMR w 12 MOA Chevron but I've never used a mini on a handgun. Any opinions on the right MOA size for non defensive precision work?

I am not sure which one I bought.

Travis
For you guys that just bought one:

http://www.browning.com/support/fil...-Fall-Firearms-2015-Flyer-and-Coupon.pdf

Travis
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/22/15
Cool - looks like I should qualify for the $25 rebate. Thanks!
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/24/15
Good pistol of course but I beat every one at IHMSA. Ruger mark II at 25 yards. I threw the last shot. No .22 pistol has ever out shot a Ruger, S&W, High Standard or Browning.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/24/15
baby got new shoes......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/24/15
Looks good - G10?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/24/15
yup. modified Hogues
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
Any .22 pistol is great until you find most ammo today is junk.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

What ammo do you use in WV?

Travis
Posted By: RWE Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

What ammo do you use in WV?

reloads
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
[Linked Image]

Im a poor pistol shot but that is 15 yards with several different types of ammo mostly bulk federal with some blazer and remington subsonic. With good ammo and a red dot scope it's a lot better shooter. Has a great trigger.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
Mato,
I have the brother to your pistol and it is a fine shooter too. The trigger is very nice. I still have the metal hoods for the front and rear sights for mine.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
I still have mine out in my loading room. They sure scuff the hell out of the rail taking them off.

I cant do the gun justice with my pistol skills. I need to by some Eley and really wring it out to see what it will do.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/25/15
They will scratch the rail for sure.
Posted By: clampdaddy Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/26/15
Surprisingly, my Buckmark shoots the best groups with one of the cheapest loads around (American Eagles). Unfortunately, they are the worst cycling rounds for it. For some reason it doesn't extract them very well and I get quite a few jams.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/26/15
Cdaddy,

Can't explain that one. That's what I have been shooting and have had no issues.

Travis
Posted By: clampdaddy Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/26/15
I've heard that the sharpness of the extractor can play a big role in how well a semi auto functions but I haven't tried messing with mine to see if I can fix it. There are plenty of other loads that it shoots well enough.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/26/15
Buckmark bolt-ons from Tandemkross. Mag bumpers and a no-logo charging ring. Done with upgrades until my can comes in......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/26/15
What are you using for packing it around - holster / something else?
I haven't got around to making a kydex holster yet. I'm waiting until I get my can. Will prolly chitcan the laser when I put on the tacsol......
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/26/15
Originally Posted by JGray
What are you using for packing it around - holster / something else?

That's the problem with the Buckmark and cans. I don't think any such monster exists.

I'm going to have a custom made. Shoulder rig.

Travis
My Google fu hasn't turned up anything, so custom is likely it - need to accommodate the reflex sight anyway...
jgray....get on the list.

https://www.tandemkross.com/BlackDog-Ruger-MK-Series-Red-Dot-Scoped-Holster-HIGH-RIDE_p_87.html

Thanks - I understand the Mk I,II,III series holsters fit the Buckmarks and I've been poking around for Ruger holsters. I did see that one but wasn't sure the synthetic material would have enough give for a universal type fit. That would be good one if it fits. Sportsman's Guide has a leather one for scoped Rugers that may be an option also but looks kind of bulky.

http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-MK-III-Scoped-Holster/dp/B004Z01PVO
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/27/15
The Black Dog doesn't work with the Buckmark. I tried.

Travis
Posted By: alukban Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/27/15
My Buckmark seems to fit very well in a leather 1911 belt slide, in case you already have one handy - open bottom so length doesn't matter but muzzle damage might smile

Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/27/15
That charging ring looks like a good addition. Unfortunately it won't work with my older (cheaper?) model BM as it doesn't have the rear cocking serrations and ears. My biggest complaint with mine is the lack of serrations on the slide flats, only in the scallops, which make charging or clearing the chamber difficult.
Originally Posted by alukban
My Buckmark seems to fit very well in a leather 1911 belt slide, in case you already have one handy - open bottom so length doesn't matter but muzzle damage might smile

I don't really like the open bottom holsters with the suppressor. Got a muzzle full of dirt once.

I'm just going to have a custom made for it. Leather is cooler anyway.

Travis
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/27/15
The Black Dog doesn't work with the Buckmark. I tried.

Travis

Interesting - on other sites, I've seen Tandemkross advertising that Blackdog holster as being for Rugers and Buckmarks. I'll take your word for it and start with something else. That leather one from Sportsman's Guide is supposed to work well...
Nah. I tried it. No worky.

Travis
Posted By: hacklewrap01 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/28/15
Mine isn't cool like you guys have, but has many miles on it and is carried at least part of every day. They are, I think, the very best "basic" kind of sidearm available, for civilians/old farmers/knock-arounders. Because the little suckers shoot, they really do.
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 09/29/15
I haven't got around to making a kydex holster yet. I'm waiting until I get my can. Will prolly chitcan the laser when I put on the tacsol......

Just found this kydex unit on ebay - looks like it may work with the Fastfire as is or with a little trimming. I'll post it up when it gets here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181514500639
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/06/15
OK, my fix isn't as purdy as some of you might need.... but I simply took an Uncle Mikes nylon holster for said Buckmark and trimmed the top section out to allow carry with the reflex sight on-board....

I don't have a "can" so that's a non-issue. The holster works perfect for trail travel and knocking charging diggers on their azz......
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/06/15
I've considered cutting a nylon holster like that - seems like a few have done it with good results. I contacted Simply Rugged - they can do their Cattleman in strong side or cross draw, but no pancake option to work with their Chesty Puller harness. I'm currently trading emails with Bob Mernickle on his chest rig. He has a mold for the slab side Buckmark, but not the bull barrel. He's checking with his mold guy on a bull barrel possibility.

The kydex unit I linked to above was a no go - the aluminum shroud barrel doesn't have the step down and is too big. I'm about to order a HPG kit bag and be done - that's making the most sense at the moment.
I flat love my buckmark. I have a 22/45 and a Ruger target, but the relationship between me and the buckmark are solid. I'm around 2000 rounds since cleaning this thing and can't recall a hangup. I have never taken it apart in 10 years and just spray it out with carb cleaner.

Mrs and I were busting clays at 80 paces yesterday with about a 3 to hit average.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/07/15
Originally Posted by high_country_
I flat love my buckmark. I have a 22/45 and a Ruger target, but the relationship between me and the buckmark are solid. I'm around 2000 rounds since cleaning this thing and can't recall a hangup. I have never taken it apart in 10 years and just spray it out with carb cleaner.

Mrs and I were busting clays at 80 paces yesterday with about a 3 to hit average.

Yup, me too!

I took the BM along with a new SR22 to the range yesterday.
I used the BM with the reflex sight to polish off some clay birds at the 100 yard mark... I don't hit them every shot, but off bags and taking my time, I'm pretty consistent.

The BM trigger is much better than that of the Ruger, but the two also have different purposes for me and work well.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/07/15
JGray,

Does yours have a can? If so, the Kit Bag sucks. I have one of those too.

And don't forget about my man Norm. He'll make you whatever the fugk you want.

http://www.montanaholster.com/

Travis
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/07/15
I'm can-less, so should have more options. Been looking at Norm's site - does he attend the local gun shows? Buddy at work was telling me about a gun leather guy he ran into at a local show and was thinking he was from GF's.

Jerry
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/08/15
Yeah. That's him. He's a great guy to work with. He'll make you whatever you need.

The Kit Bag will work well without a can though.

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/08/15
When you see him, do you greet him like Cliff Claven would?

Nahm!....
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/08/15
Just confirmed - Norm is the guy my coworker was telling me about. He has one of Norm's cross draw holsters for a SA Ruger. I like the simplicity of his shoulder rig - bandolier/tanker style without a bunch of straps to screw around with. I see one in my near future (plus a kit bag to carry some others grin).

What's Norm's turn around time like?
He has piles of cow already made into holsters.

But if you need something truly custom, he asks that I "have it to me by 10, and give me until about 5."

His shoulder rig is the best of them all. I have the EPS Tanker, the Chesty Puller by Simply Rugged, and the Kit Bag. Norm's is by far my favorite but the Kit Bag is unbeatable if you are wearing a pack with a hip belt.

His shoulder rig is also interchangeable with all his other holsters. Undo one snap, and swap them out. It's great.

My son was taking pics without anybody knowing when we got back to the truck last season. Shows it pretty well.

[Linked Image]
That sounds perfect - thank you!
One might talk to Wes at 7X Leather in Mt. He has a wait list but seems to like a challenge and the fit and finish is unbeatable for the cost.
Posted By: 65BR Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/08/15

[Linked Image]

Handled one ysdy - love ergos etc. $619 was on tag. Only improvement - perhaps if threaded.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/08/15
call Whittakers.....
Posted By: supercrewd Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/08/15
There is some mention of this fellow on Silencer Talk...

BATTLECLOTH
Custom Pouches and Holsters
P.O. Box 225
Newtown, PA 18940
[email protected]

No experience...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
One might talk to Wes at 7X Leather in Mt. He has a wait list but seems to like a challenge and the fit and finish is unbeatable for the cost.

I've been looking at his site also - have heard nothing but good things...
Those both look like nice options.

Thanks ass holes.

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/10/15
I'm done fugging with it.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65BR Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/10/15
Pfffttttt
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/10/15
Don, that's a damn nice looking rig. Swapped out your barrel for a threaded Tac-Sol for the can?
yup, it's my switch barrel pistolie.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/10/15
He has piles of cow already made into holsters.

But if you need something truly custom, he asks that I "have it to me by 10, and give me until about 5."

His shoulder rig is the best of them all. I have the EPS Tanker, the Chesty Puller by Simply Rugged, and the Kit Bag. Norm's is by far my favorite but the Kit Bag is unbeatable if you are wearing a pack with a hip belt.

His shoulder rig is also interchangeable with all his other holsters. Undo one snap, and swap them out. It's great.

My son was taking pics without anybody knowing when we got back to the truck last season. Shows it pretty well.

[Linked Image]

Travis, I like that setup. That's the closest thing I've seen to a custom holster Sam has for his Blackhawk, except the gun rides a little higher and horizontal.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/22/15
While researching Buckmarks for a future purchase, I found this tidbit over on rimfirecentral in this thread. I'm no expert on the Buckmark. Don't own one yet, but thought this might be interesting to some of you who have one now.

member exavid said:
I've owned a Ruger MkII and MkIII but now I use a Browning Buckmark for Bullseye shooting. The slickest thing with the Buckmark is that you can take a stock pistol, flip the sear spring over which takes about 15 minutes and the trigger pull goes from nearly 6lbs to 2lbs. Really improves the groups in precision shooting. My Buckmark didn't have the trigger with adjustable over travel but it didn't take more than a few minutes to drill and tap the trigger, add a Allen screw and voila, you have a trigger that's excellent for target work.

response from member SGW Gunsmith:
For some reason, the "Heggis" flip doesn't work all the time, with all of the Buckmark pistols.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/22/15
That is good info but I gotta say, the trigger on mine is pretty GD UBER as it sits.

Travis
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/28/15
Fondled one like Don's today pretty hard, except it had the laser under the barrel. Damn. Shoulda never touched it.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 10/28/15
Mine came with the laser. I thought it would be funner than it was. When I put on the Tacsol, the laser got tossed on the ruger SR22.
That is good info but I gotta say, the trigger on mine is pretty GD UBER as it sits.

Travis

Ditto.
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/13/15
My tax stamp finally came through smile and I've got my Buckmark all pimped out with TaSol barrel, Sparrow-SS can and a Trijicon RMR. Now how to carry it? Seems the choices are few. I contacted Battlecloth but they're not too keen on making one to fit with optics. What did you guys with cans figure out for holsters?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/13/15
Damn, you are pimped.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/14/15
Tmitch,

For mine I am going full custom. I can have him make more than one if anybody is interested.

Travis
Posted By: RJM Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/14/15
baby got new shoes......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don...gotta say that in this configuration that is one of THE BEST looking .22 pistolas I have ever seen...

Bob
Posted By: tmitch Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/14/15
Tmitch,

For mine I am going full custom. I can have him make more than one if anybody is interested.

Travis

Interested. Post or PM me some details.
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/14/15
Tmitch,

Travis

You talking about Norm? I have it on good authority he now has a pattern for the Buckmark and can accommodate a can...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
After reading this, I bought a Buckmark and thought a comparison between a Ruger Mark III Competition Target Model and Ruger Mark II Government Target Model, all of which I own, would be interesting. I should have included an S&W Model 41 to make it an even better .22 target pistol comparison, but didn't think to at the time.

I shot several different kinds of ammo but all three shot best with my standby for accurate plinking ammo, CCI Standard Velocity.

I apologize for the long post, but here goes.

Buckmark:

Nice gun with a decent trigger and good ergos, though the grips are a little bulky for my fingers, which are toward the short size of medium length. I bought the 7.25" heavy barrel and think it to be a little barrel heavy. I would have gone 5.5" if I had it to do over. Here's 10 shots at 25 yards.

[Linked Image]

Ruger Mark III:

I like the balance of the 6 7/8" "slabside" best of all. Decent trigger (comparable to the Buckmark). I had a couple of malfunctions. Maybe because the gun had never been fired and needed breaking in, but I'm not sure. Unlike some, neither the loaded chamber indicator nor the lock give me any problems on these and I like the updated mag release. Due to a malfunction, here is a 9-shot group at 25.

[Linked Image]

The Winner: Ruger Mark II Government Target

The balance is great for me. The trigger is better than the other two, but I bought this used so maybe somebody worked on it. The Government Model with its special chamber really lives up to its accuracy reputation. I don't love the mag release but can live with it. 10 shots at 25 yards below. I'm not sure what caused the one flyer. Maybe it was the first shot. The other 9 shots mostly in one hole make up for it and this gun consistently shoots like this.

[Linked Image]

I definitely prefer the Government Model because of its accuracy and balance. I could live with either the Buckmark or Mark III, but have a slight preference for the Ruger over the Browning, probably having to do with greater familiarity with the platform than anything.

Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/16/15
JGray,

Nice work dude! And yes, I was referring to Norm.

Tmitch,

That's what I'll be buying. I'm going to call Norm and ask if he can add on the additional length needed for the can.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/16/15
Nice shooting DMD.

Travis
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 11/16/15
JGray,

Nice work dude! And yes, I was referring to Norm.

Tmitch,

That's what I'll be buying. I'm going to call Norm and ask if he can add on the additional length needed for the can.

Travis

I did ask him exactly that (thinking of you blush ). When I left mine with him to make the pattern, I told him I knew of a couple others who may want same to work with a can, so he had that in mind when working this up. He'll need a measurement from the muzzle (with the can on) to the breech. Then he'll need a measurement from same on muzzle to where you want the notch for the optic to end (front of optic, mount, rail, etc.). The location of the snap on the strap is critical, so he'll make it and send it to you less snap. He'll tell you how to mark the snap location with gun in holster, then have you send it back to him to finish it. In our case, we're close enough to just bring it when you pick it up in person. Takes him all of a minute or two to do the snap.
Posted By: SamSteele Re: The Browning Buckmark - 02/27/16
[Linked Image]

Picked up a BuckMark Plus UDX yesterday. It was missing the front sight lite pipe so they dropped the price a pile. Called Browning and they are sending me a bunch of new ones. Browning Canada said they had 550 of these on back order.

SS
Posted By: hookeye Re: The Browning Buckmark - 02/27/16
I had a reg Buckmark. I ran SuperX in it, then when a buddy bought it he ran CCI. He shot the livin' crap out of that gun. Ran fine.

Only probs I had:

1. swapped rear sight rail out for Weigand scope mount. 2 screws loosened up in a match, so blue Loctited after that (no prob).

2. Trigger not the best (rather have a target model with adj sear and slap a field bbl on it for a hunting rig).

Pops has a 5.5" and a 14"........is gonna dump 'em.
Id rather have the 10" Varmint model.

Like the older full grip frame rigs best, but not with the wrap around wood fingergroove grips.

Rugers? Not hard to take apart. Learned it as a kid.
Had a couple of MK1 target models, a Davidson's Great Eight 22/45 (old frame sucked, new frame OK- wish I'd have kept it now). My old AMT Lighting 10.5" was super accurate- squirrel killin' machine.

But it was also.............AMT. It'd screw up sometimes and flubbing on a big chuck more than once meant it had to go bye bye.
Originally Posted by SamSteele
[Linked Image]

Picked up a BuckMark Plus UDX yesterday. It was missing the front sight lite pipe so they dropped the price a pile. Called Browning and they are sending me a bunch of new ones. Browning Canada said they had 550 of these on back order.

SS

Go to an archery shop. They should have fiber optics to fix bow sights.
My LGS is also an archery shop, they do this rather often.
Of the Rugers, the 6 7/8" tapered bull is my fave.
Had a minty MK1, sold it to my hunting bud for what I paid.
Will get a MK2 and have it drilled and tapped (or find a MK3 version).
Posted By: SamSteele Re: The Browning Buckmark - 02/27/16
Ended up shooting it without the front fiber optic pin. 20 shots at 20 yards.

[Linked Image]

SS
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/04/16
New leather:

A lot like JGray's. Only bigger.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/04/16
ooooh. that's biiiggggg.
about 15 minutes ago...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/04/16
New leather:

A lot like JGray's. Only bigger.

[Linked Image]

Travis

There you go again - SONOFABITCH! grin
Best freakin' field rig I own.

Travis
about 15 minutes ago...

[Linked Image]

Are you liking the Browning more than the Ruger? Or still a tossup?

Travis
Have always liked Browning more.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/04/16
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Ended up shooting it without the front fiber optic pin. 20 shots at 20 yards.

[Linked Image]

SS

And that should say something to those who are afraid of what might happen to a FO on a defense handgun.
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/06/16
I've wanted a Buck Mark for a long time. Specifically the kinda rare Contour 5.5" I've never seen one in person. I had one on order for almost a year. I pulled the plug a few years ago when the Ruger 22/45 Lite came out. Bought the Ruger. I've always been disappointed with it. I've missed so many grouse and ground squirrels with it.

Swung into a pawn shop in Spokane yesterday. Contour under the counter for $299......we started the paperwork immediately.

Ran: Blazers, 525 Winchesters, Green Tag and some bulk Federals. The plated Winchester 525 box ammo stacked right on top of each other on steel at 32 yards. But the action was sooo gummed up and slow. Was pretty much a single shot.

After a youtube video I grew some balls and removed the 3 screws on my top rail. I don't know what all the fuss is over re: break down for cleaning. Yes, the guide rod and spring are a pain in the balls to reassemble. But nothing I would never do again.

Scraped out some lead and fouling and applied some Kroil in key locations and some lithium grease on a few more. Runs like a raped Ape now.

Shot it Head to Head with the Ruger last night. No contest.....Buck Mark by a mile.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/08/16
You got a good deal on that one Jesse.

Was it dirty when you got it or did you just put that many rounds through it on the first go?

I just scrubbed mine up for the first time. I only shoot it suppressed and it was getting pretty bad but was still without malfunction.

Travis
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/09/16
Was dirty and gummed as [bleep] when I bought it. I can see where someone had a $32 red dot on it. And the former owner had a yellow sticker plastered to the front sight. For sure a Douche.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/09/16
Sounds like a rescue more than a purchase.

Dave
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/09/16
People with addiction-prone personalities should stay the hale away from Buck Marks, just sayin'.

Either that, or pick up the Silhouette adjustable-overtravel trigger and sear spring. About $15 for the combo, which beats heck out of sending spare organs to Volquartsen for parts to make a Ruger suck less.

There's no need to pull the barrel screw with any frequency, but it is a good idea to remove it once and check the frame surfaces. I've found a machining burr that wasn't properly removed from the aluminum and affected the seating of the barrel. Can't say it affected accuracy, but a bedding defect is a bedding defect.

Check the linkage for smooth edges on all the stamped parts, making sure there are no burrs dragging.

Set the firing pin length. A couple threads on this over on RFC. The tolerances between the slide and firing pin vary, and if the firing pin is too long, it will peen the breech with varying degrees of severity when dry fired. Do it one time, and you're safe until you wear out the firing pin. BMs that will peen the breech generally show a witness mark when taken out of the box for the first time, as they are dry fired for function check at the factory. It's not a sign of abuse at the gun counter.

Loctite the rail screws. Can't tighten them enough to stay tight without it. Make sure you have the conical lock washers in there, as their thickness is required for the screw head geometry to seat properly.

CDNN generally has the best prices on magazines ($20 when they're on sale). They also have Herrett thumb rest grips for cheap. They only fit the standard frame, not the URX or UDX, but they are great if you have big hands.

Can't remember whether this was one or two magazines at 7 yards my last time out. The dot is an inch. I still suck, but might figure it out someday.

[Linked Image]

Whatever you do, don't get into the historical Challenger models, they will cost you money. And they make Buck Marks seem rough and cobbled together. You'll hate them.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/11/16
I was going to buy a Ruger but went to the local store and handled the Ruger and the Buckmark. For fit in the hand, I chose the Buckmark. It was pretty cheap too. I shoot Steel Challenge with it and it rips along pretty well. Nothing fancy.
I bought a threaded one and it really did not work well for me with the suppressor. It went away. Go figure.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: The Browning Buckmark - 04/13/16
Academy has a special slightly decontented version they normally sell for $329.99. Like the one above this, but without the FO front sight. A few times a year, it goes on sale for $299.99. If it ever does that while Browning is having a rebate, I'll get one just because. Didn't happen last month, sadly.
© 24hourcampfire