Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
I had a nice range session with mine the other day. Since I have not cleaned it in a while (it does get pretty sooty), I broke it down and once again admired the polygonal barrel.

One thing that amazes me is how the heck they got that barrel so freaking polished! It constantly looks wet. It is the shiniest and most polished barrel you will ever see. Amazing!

Anybody else have one?

Mine is VERY accurate and a joy to shoot and carry. I have had a Kramer Michigan State Police paddle holster for over 10 years and it perfect for OWB carry.
Posted By: krupp Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
Not really but I did see one at a local pawn shop last Sat in the factory box, manual and extra mag for............$1600
Posted By: shrapnel Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16

I had all of the squeeze cockers at one time, the K-3, M-8, M-10 and M-13. I ended up selling all but the M-13 when I needed money to buy a Harley. I recently found a K-3 in 380 with the 22 kit and bought it. These are scarce and not cheap!

The whole P-7 concept and pistol leaves many behind in a striker oriented field that is all enamored with Glock pistols. The P-7 was a design that was way ahead of it's time and continues to amaze and confound people.

The fixed barrel and polygonal rifling makes this gun dependable and extremely accurate. It also has a fluted chamber that will assist the fired shell in extraction should the extractor fail.

The barrel is lower in the hand and with the design, it is also more compact with a 4.13 inch barrel set back where the magazine still feeds the chamber without the bulk that other semi-autos have.

Disassembly is simple and easy for quick cleaning, and the delayed blowback with a gas piston makes the gun extremely easy to fire quickly with little recovery due to recoil and shock from the gun's function.

It is my goal to get another M-8, as it is a bit thinner to carry than the M-18, but the 380 is smaller yet. The Chromed pistol is the M-13 and the blued is the K-3, which is a smaller frame and has a piston buffer instead of the gas piston that exists in the full size M-13...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
Shrap, what was the M10 like? How was the recoil?
Posted By: tmitch Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
Love mine. It was a German police (?) trade-in/import with the grind mark on the slide. I had Fords re-engrave the slide and hard chrome it. Sure wish I woulda bought one of those K3s when I had the chance years ago!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tarkio Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
Have an M8 and PSP.

The M8 is lnib. Not sure it's ever been fired any appreciable amount.

Carry the PSP all the time. Considering switching to the M8. Have held off because of the value of an like new M8.

Would love to find a K3.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Shrap, what was the M10 like? How was the recoil?

I never shot it. I bought all 4 from one guy, so I could get the M-8 and K-3, then just sold the M-10. I didn't like the look of the slide, but now I wish I had kept it too...
Posted By: GunGeek Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
Interesting pistols, fun to play with, but IMO they're really not worth what they go for these days. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
IMHO the same can be said for Pythons. I have owned a few so no holy grail for me. I do think the P7M8 is a work of CC art though. Very accurate even for me who is a lousy handgun shot. Would I buy one for $1500? Naw. I think I got mine for around 700 as new in the box a goodly number of years ago.
IMHO the same can be said for Pythons. I have owned a few so no holy grail for me. I do think the P7M8 is a work of CC art though. Very accurate even for me who is a lousy handgun shot. Would I buy one for $1500? Naw. I think I got mine for around 700 as new in the box a goodly number of years ago.

I would agree and go further to say I would pay $1500.00 for a P-7 before I would pay $2500.00 for a Python...
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16
Have shot the P-7 and really liked it. A little heavy and way too expensive for me. Fix those two things and it would be super. I own a like new Python, was very disappointed when I saw the current prices, I would like an 8 3/8 barreled blue gun, no way are they worth $2500 to me.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/22/16

The Python market is insane, I can't believe the money they go for. What kills me is they're not rare by any means.
I have never seen a K3 but would love the chance to shoot one. Do all of them have that mirror smooth polygonal barrel? That has got to be the easiest barrel to wipe clean.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I would agree and go further to say I would pay $1500.00 for a P-7 before I would pay $2500.00 for a Python...

Yes. I shake my head when I see Pythons for as much as $3000.00. I had at least 3 of them and would cash in if I still had them. Had a couple of Diamondback .22's too. Same with them....
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/23/16
I wish I'd grabbed the 3" Python I saw for $1k, about 12 years ago... frown

There's one on GB right now, that's been bid up to $9k crazy
Posted By: shrapnel Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/23/16
I have never seen a K3 but would love the chance to shoot one. Do all of them have that mirror smooth polygonal barrel? That has got to be the easiest barrel to wipe clean.

Come on up to Montana and I will let you shoot this one. As I said, I also have the 22 kit for it. I did shoot a deer with it a few years ago...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/23/16
I have one of the police surplus PSP's. It's a nice pistol, though not as slick as the later commercial P7M8's. Not finding much in the way of holsters for it I bought a West German Police Surplus holster for it. It seems to be reinforced with steel and weighs about as much as the pistol. grin

So eventually I really oughta get a little more normal holster for it. Anyone know of someone who carries one as a stock item?

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/23/16
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have one of the police surplus PSP's. It's a nice pistol, though not as slick as the later commercial P7M8's. Not finding much in the way of holsters for it I bought a West German Police Surplus holster for it. It seems to be reinforced with steel and weighs about as much as the pistol. grin

So eventually I really oughta get a little more normal holster for it. Anyone know of someone who carries one as a stock item?

Check Kramer.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/23/16
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Come on up to Montana and I will let you shoot this one. As I said, I also have the 22 kit for it. I did shoot a deer with it a few years ago...

[Linked Image]

I plan on visiting you one day. Went to Yellowstone last year and you gave me tips on places to see. We loved the museum in Cody.
Posted By: ChasR Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/23/16
My P7M8 is my 'deep carry' pistol. Had it NP Plus 3 coated and carry it in a smart holster. Pretty hard to tell it's there.

Like others, I bought it when they were $700 and wouldn't be likely to buy one now. Love it though - easiest pistol to shoot accurately that I've ever touched.

Range sessions get a bit interesting with the heat buildup though!!

Also bought an Alessi holster for it 10 - 15 years ago. The pistol is a bit 'handle heavy' for its size but the Alessi carries it nicely.

Wish I'd bought more when I purchased this one!!
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/24/16
Originally Posted by tmitch
Love mine. It was a German police (?) trade-in/import with the grind mark on the slide. I had Fords re-engrave the slide and hard chrome it. Sure wish I woulda bought one of those K3s when I had the chance years ago!

[Linked Image]

Are you happy with hard chrome. I have a m8 in excellent shape with the grind mark. I've been thing of having this repaired but not sure of who to sent it to. What's a ball park figure of cost. Hasbeen
Posted By: Yondering Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/24/16
I had a couple of these, one was hard chromed and looked just like tmitch's picture above. I liked that finish, it looked good and was pretty durable, much better than most other coatings or platings. That said, something like NP3 would be slicker and also look good.

Not being in a position to keep extra guns in the safe, I sold both my P7M8 pistols because I was looking for better carry guns. Sorta apples to oranges if you're a collector, but I settled on the Glock 19 after these P7's. Size is about the same, weight is a lot less, with twice as many rounds, and better ballistics by a significant amount. Accuracy of the P7's was good, but no better than the G19 or a good 1911 in my experience. I guess my point being that the P7 is really unique and cool, but a lot of the hype is more legend than fact.

Posted By: tmitch Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/24/16
I'm very happy with the work Fords Custom Gun Refinishing did, but it wasn't cheap. I had mine done in 2010 and cost was $210 for the hard chrome and another $200 to smooth out and re-engrave the slide. Would probably be a bit more today. A friend had his P7PSP done in Robars NP3 and it's nice, very slick/slippery, but it's softer and shows scuffs and rubs easier. At the time, Fords were the only ones I found that would do the grind mark removal and re-engrave.
Posted By: InternetGuru Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/24/16
Originally Posted by ChasR
My P7M8 is my 'deep carry' pistol. Had it NP Plus 3 coated and carry it in a smart holster. Pretty hard to tell it's there.

Like others, I bought it when they were $700 and wouldn't be likely to buy one now. Love it though - easiest pistol to shoot accurately that I've ever touched.

Range sessions get a bit interesting with the heat buildup though!!

Also bought an Alessi holster for it 10 - 15 years ago. The pistol is a bit 'handle heavy' for its size but the Alessi carries it nicely.

Wish I'd bought more when I purchased this one!!

Pretty much sums it up. Love the gun but not at today's prices, glad I got one early. At the range you definitely need something you can shoot while the P7 cools down.

I use a TT gunleather IMB Mike's special that drops the pistol down pretty low in the waist band, it helps with the heavy handle flopping around.

The biggest drawback to the gun IMHO is it's weight to capacity ratio. It may be sacrilege to suggest but I'd love a P7 with a polymer or aluminum frame.

Posted By: tmitch Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/24/16
Don Hume offers several holster designs also. I carry mine in their H721.
Posted By: kingston Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/24/16
I've got a PSP and an M8. I had a M13, but foolishly sold it. The PSP is my favorite.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/26/16
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by tmitch

[Linked Image]

Are you happy with hard chrome. I have a m8 in excellent shape with the grind mark. I've been thing of having this repaired but not sure of who to sent it to. What's a ball park figure of cost. Hasbeen

Mine is hard chrome and has been trouble free in years of use. I have shot it plenty and fired the IDPA courses of fire and not had heating issues others have mentioned. The heat shield is on the M series of pistols that didn't exist on the PSP.

I had an M13 that had been Birdsonged, but preferred the hard chrome and kept it...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: H&K P7M8 any fans? - 03/26/16
The PSP does get warm shooting. I guess the West German Police didn't shoot long strings very often. smile
© 24hourcampfire