Home
Posted By: Exchipy Adventures in Rimfire - 02/17/24
6” steel at 200 yards. The wind having quit about 30 minutes earlier, it was dead calm. I put 9 out of 10 LAPUA Center-X on the steel with the Ruger Precision Rimfire; first shot was a miss. What made it interesting was the Spring growth of bamboo at about 100 yards, partially obscuring the target and requiring that I aim through it. The rainbow bullet trajectory apparently missed the stalks and leaves. The elevation on the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 was set at 23-1/2 MOA above its 50 yard zero:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But, at least the motionless bamboo leaves cluttering the field of view clearly confirmed there was no wind.
Posted By: devnull Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/17/24
Exchippy, what did you use to mount your steel plates? Looks like some steel rebar....Interested in that approach.
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by devnull
Exchippy, what did you use to mount your steel plates? Looks like some steel rebar....Interested in that approach.
Not rebar, just a pair of those cockamamie gun locks which come packaged with handguns. Their cables were painted flat white, along with the steel plate, after their plastic coating had been shot away by bullet splatter. It’s the only good use I ever found for gun locks.

The steel plate is suspended by the gun locks from a realtor’s steel sign frame stuck in the ground at a lasered 200 yards from my back porch:

Those cables have easily survived hits from stray 22LR bullets. But, would likely not do well against centerfire hits.

View of the target from the house this morning:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Gotta look closely.
Barrel length doesn’t seem to matter much:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]… long as it’s a quality barrel with a good trigger and enough glass.
Good equipment makes it so easy, …

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]WHAT! WHAT WERE YOU GONNA SAY?

… a novice shooter can do it.

Guests at our house, who have never shot long range before, with just a bit of coaching beforehand, were able to keep most of their shots on the 6” 200 yard steel, shooting that .22LR Contender pistol.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/17/24
Ain’t that fun?

Your drop agrees with mine on the last trip out, best as I can recall anyway. Gets a lot more interesting with a little wind. The SWFA MOA 6x on my CSC has the numbers on the hold marks so I can hold easily or dial. I tried both ways, switching back and forth.

Best part of shooting the steel on my local range is I don’t have to schlep a target frame down and back (then down and back to retrieve it) on my wobbly-ass knee.

The auto allows me to correct for wind without losing position. Pretty amazing how a little cross-breeze blows those bullets. Gonna try my .22 Mag soon.

Got a couple inches of sloppy wet snow this morning. Your pics make me sad……
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ain’t that fun?

Your drop agrees with mine on the last trip out, best as I can recall anyway. Gets a lot more interesting with a little wind. The SWFA MOA 6x on my CSC has the numbers on the hold marks so I can hold easily or dial. I tried both ways, switching back and forth.

Best part of shooting the steel on my local range is I don’t have to schlep a target frame down and back (then down and back to retrieve it) on my wobbly-ass knee.

The auto allows me to correct for wind without losing position. Pretty amazing how a little cross-breeze blows those bullets. Gonna try my .22 Mag soon.

Got a couple inches of sloppy wet snow this morning. Your pics make me sad……

Using a semi-auto is almost like cheating:

Posted By: Lslite Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/17/24
Sure wish I still had my home range frown Urban sprawl and the city limits took mine away long ago.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/17/24
Exchipy: Good shooting there - I seek out and fell blessed whenever the winds die off and I am needing to do some bench work.
What a beautiful; range you have there - enjoy!

Devnull: I do volunteer work/repairs at our local range every year and we indeed use "rebar" to hang our target stantions and our steel gongs.
One of our members heats them up and bends 4" - 5" deep "J's" into both ends and they survive a long time and are easier to repair and last longer than the "chains" we used decades ago.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!!!
Posted By: Creeker Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/20/24
Great shooting.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/20/24
That's a sweet setup Chippy. I'd love to be able to shoot off my back porch.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Adventures in Rimfire - 02/20/24
That works for me, makes me smile a bit. I've never done better than .436" groups at 100 yards with a Ruger. Humble I am.
Excellent shooting!
© 24hourcampfire