Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
6” steel at 200 yards. The wind having quit about 30 minutes earlier, it was dead calm. I put 9 out of 10 LAPUA Center-X on the steel with the Ruger Precision Rimfire; first shot was a miss. What made it interesting was the Spring growth of bamboo at about 100 yards, partially obscuring the target and requiring that I aim through it. The rainbow bullet trajectory apparently missed the stalks and leaves. The elevation on the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 was set at 23-1/2 MOA above its 50 yard zero:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But, at least the motionless bamboo leaves cluttering the field of view clearly confirmed there was no wind.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Exchippy, what did you use to mount your steel plates? Looks like some steel rebar....Interested in that approach.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by devnull
Exchippy, what did you use to mount your steel plates? Looks like some steel rebar....Interested in that approach.
Not rebar, just a pair of those cockamamie gun locks which come packaged with handguns. Their cables were painted flat white, along with the steel plate, after their plastic coating had been shot away by bullet splatter. It’s the only good use I ever found for gun locks.

The steel plate is suspended by the gun locks from a realtor’s steel sign frame stuck in the ground at a lasered 200 yards from my back porch:

Those cables have easily survived hits from stray 22LR bullets. But, would likely not do well against centerfire hits.

View of the target from the house this morning:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Gotta look closely.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Barrel length doesn’t seem to matter much:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]… long as it’s a quality barrel with a good trigger and enough glass.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good equipment makes it so easy, …

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]WHAT! WHAT WERE YOU GONNA SAY?

… a novice shooter can do it.

Guests at our house, who have never shot long range before, with just a bit of coaching beforehand, were able to keep most of their shots on the 6” 200 yard steel, shooting that .22LR Contender pistol.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ain’t that fun?

Your drop agrees with mine on the last trip out, best as I can recall anyway. Gets a lot more interesting with a little wind. The SWFA MOA 6x on my CSC has the numbers on the hold marks so I can hold easily or dial. I tried both ways, switching back and forth.

Best part of shooting the steel on my local range is I don’t have to schlep a target frame down and back (then down and back to retrieve it) on my wobbly-ass knee.

The auto allows me to correct for wind without losing position. Pretty amazing how a little cross-breeze blows those bullets. Gonna try my .22 Mag soon.

Got a couple inches of sloppy wet snow this morning. Your pics make me sad……

What fresh Hell is this?
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ain’t that fun?

Your drop agrees with mine on the last trip out, best as I can recall anyway. Gets a lot more interesting with a little wind. The SWFA MOA 6x on my CSC has the numbers on the hold marks so I can hold easily or dial. I tried both ways, switching back and forth.

Best part of shooting the steel on my local range is I don’t have to schlep a target frame down and back (then down and back to retrieve it) on my wobbly-ass knee.

The auto allows me to correct for wind without losing position. Pretty amazing how a little cross-breeze blows those bullets. Gonna try my .22 Mag soon.

Got a couple inches of sloppy wet snow this morning. Your pics make me sad……

Using a semi-auto is almost like cheating:

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sure wish I still had my home range frown Urban sprawl and the city limits took mine away long ago.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Exchipy: Good shooting there - I seek out and fell blessed whenever the winds die off and I am needing to do some bench work.
What a beautiful; range you have there - enjoy!

Devnull: I do volunteer work/repairs at our local range every year and we indeed use "rebar" to hang our target stantions and our steel gongs.
One of our members heats them up and bends 4" - 5" deep "J's" into both ends and they survive a long time and are easier to repair and last longer than the "chains" we used decades ago.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a sweet setup Chippy. I'd love to be able to shoot off my back porch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That works for me, makes me smile a bit. I've never done better than .436" groups at 100 yards with a Ruger. Humble I am.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Excellent shooting!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.