Home
Looks like a very nice .22. Wish it came with a synthetic stock, but I might still get one. Just wondering opinions from people that own them. Will it shoot as accurate as my NULA?
it a annie 64 action in a weatherby style stock had one all i ahve seen have been very good looking the trigger can be adjust to ok levels (a nice 2 lbs is doable) but accuraccy for me was abit short hate to say it but the cz's i have would out shoot it i hated that i really wanted to shoot it for my hunter class gun for nra silhoutte
I like mine a lot.
Very good accuracy and functions perfect.
Fit and accuracy are decent (should be better on a rifle of this price). Function leaves some to be desired. Not all eject spent casings reliably. Do a search over @ RFC. But there is a remedy someone has come up with for the ejection issues. I need to work on mine. Even though accuracy isn't GREAT ... it is very good though. I use mine to replicate my hunting & varmint rifles. so I shoot it a bit offhand and field positions ... Good Lord knows I need the practice.

here with my 7-08 & 22-250AI

[Linked Image]
They are finished well. They have a trim petite feel to them and (mine) shoot to boot. As for ammo, mine will shoot the cheap stuff up there with the target stuff. Worth every nickel.

Joseph
Originally Posted by avagadro
Do a search over @ RFC.

After doing my search on RFC, I have decided to buy something else instead. Accuracy does not appear to be great in these rifles. Thanks
Actually, the accuracy is just fine.

The thing is- Weatherby builds the stocks with a bedding pad at the tip,which is not how Anschutz beds their m64 based sporters. Some guns shoot better with that pad relieved.

No big deal to tweek it. Same as with any Centerfire rifle.

I would not put too much stock in the crap the dingbats at Rimfire central post about much of anything.

Pretty much a collection of nitwits that can barely figure out which end the bullet shoots out of.

Mine will shoot in the .4's with std vel cci. Accuracy is decent, a lot of the issues stem from quite a few rifles not the reliably eject spent casings from the receiver. Its not just a XXII issue, but there is also a bit written on this Anschutz action also.

This has been covered at WeathbyNation also. Brad from Weatherby offered to buy the rifle back ... whilst not high on my list I do need to get the ejection issues resloved.
I have a Weatherby MK XX11 that I'm happy with.

It shoots CCI sub sonic HP's into 1/4 to 3/8" at 30 yards.

Good enough for close range "Varmits" in my bird feeders!

I like my Cooper 17 HMR better, but it's a whole different gun, with other uses.

Virgil B.
Don't own a Weatherby, but do have an Anschutz. Very accurate out of the box with the right ammo. Like all rifles, it has its favorite brands of cartridges. If lost, I would replace it.
Originally Posted by jim62

The thing is- Weatherby builds the stocks with a bedding pad at the tip,which is not how Anschutz beds their m64 based sporters. Some guns shoot better with that pad relieved.

I would not put too much stock in the crap the dingbats at Rimfire central post about much of anything.

Pretty much a collection of nitwits that can barely figure out which end the bullet shoots out of.

please grace us with your expertice on rimfires what should this annie 64 remake should shoot like?? and what are all those rimfire bench shooters missing out on not having you knowalege on rimfire central ?? i am thinking you have not ever owned one confused
Originally Posted by ldholton

please grace us with your expertice on rimfires what should this annie 64 remake should shoot like?? and what are all those rimfire bench shooters missing out on not having you knowalege on rimfire central ?? i am thinking you have not ever owned one confused

Well,my post is pretty much self explanatory to anyone who has any broad based rifle experience.

But your first problem, is to expect an $850 6.5LB factory SPORTER to shoot like a Benchrest rifle.

Right off the bat, your comment tells me you have your head WAY up your dumb ass.

As I said, not every individual barrel likes pressure points at the tip of the forend(hint). Not every gun is accurate with just any brand of ammo(big hint). Some rifles really respond to having their actions perfectly glass bedded, certain action screw torque pressure etc.(more hints).

That goes for anything from a $200 Marlin 880 to a $1,500+ Annie 1720..

Folks who refuse to believe rifles are pretty much unique individuals in terms of accuracy from gun to gun would rather whine and pout to others on 'net forums rather than deal in reality.

Which is why you don't see me basing rifle buying decisions on what the losers on RimfireCentral think.

Well,my post is pretty much self explanatory to anyone who has any broad based rifle experince.

But your first problem, is to expect a 6.5LB factory SPORTER to shoot like a Benchrest rifle.

Right off the bat, your comment tells me you have your head WAY up your ass.

As I said, not every individual barrel likes pressure points at the tip of the forend(hint). Not every gun is accurate with just any brand of ammo(big hint).

I am sure that folks like yourself who refuse to believe rifles are pretty much unique individuals in terms of accuracy from gun to gun would rather whine and pout to others on 'net forums like Rimfire central...

Which is why you don't see me basing Rifle buying decisions on what the losers on RimfireCentral think.
folks like me? you dont even know me but i guess a lot of those bench rest shooters are dumb as me too ?? you never said what a rifle such as this should shoot i do know mine did not shoot as good as either of my cz's with about 20 diff. types of ammo tested but yes i am very picky my normal hunter gun is not benchrest but hunter class silhoutte ......40x schilen barrel jewel trigger (2 lbs) very light woodstock pillered & bedded 6-18 leupold (for squirrel class reasons ) and weight resoans so yes i expect my .22 to preform if that makes me a dumbass so be it but the cz's i have got get much closer to the level of accurcy i like than did the weatherby!! dont get me wrong i aint knocking weatherby i carry one alot for deer (an ultralite .308) oh yea by the way i am just a dumbass master class nra silhoutte shooter but you dont even know what that is do you ??

Well,my post is pretty much self explanatory to anyone who has any broad based rifle experince.

But your first problem, is to expect a 6.5LB factory SPORTER to shoot like a Benchrest rifle.

Right off the bat, your comment tells me you have your head WAY up your ass.

As I said, not every individual barrel likes pressure points at the tip of the forend(hint). Not every gun is accurate with just any brand of ammo(big hint).

I am sure that folks like yourself who refuse to believe rifles are pretty much unique individuals in terms of accuracy from gun to gun would rather whine and pout to others on 'net forums like Rimfire central...

Which is why you don't see me basing Rifle buying decisions on what the losers on RimfireCentral think.
folks like me? you dont even know me but i guess a lot of those bench rest shooters are dumb as me too ?? you never said what a rifle such as this should shoot i do know mine did not shoot as good as either of my cz's with about 20 diff. types of ammo tested but yes i am very picky my normal hunter gun is not benchrest but hunter class silhoutte ......40x schilen barrel jewel trigger (2 lbs) very light woodstock pillered & bedded 6-18 leupold (for squirrel class reasons ) and weight resoans so yes i expect my .22 to preform if that makes me a dumbass so be it but the cz's i have got get much closer to the level of accurcy i like than did the weatherby!! dont get me wrong i aint knocking weatherby i carry one alot for deer (an ultralite .308) oh yea by the way i am just a dumbass master class nra silhoutte shooter but you dont even know what that is do you ??

If you are so stupid that you could not sort out one of the Weatherby XXII rifles, I sincerely doubt you are "master class" in anything but internet bullschit.

And, if you had shot enough m64 Anschutz sporters in your life(or even 54 Annie sporters) the fact that your individual CZ m452 outshot the Annie barreled action in the Weatherby would not shock you.

Like I said, anyone who expects an untuned factory Sporter weight rifle to shoot like a BR gun is complete idiot anyway.

And BTW- Rimfire central is NOT populated by "champion" rifle shots- In ANY discipline. Those folks pretty much left that silly schithole 5+ years ago. All that are left are posers and mod hawkers to prey on idiots like you who cannot sort out the accuracy on a simple .22 Sporter. wink
LoL you are truly a [bleep] dumbass tried to give you the doudt you blew it do you even know what nra silhoutte is ? i am a longggggggggg way over 5 even got grandkids gring close to 5 yes have shot both annie 64's and 54's shot a 1422 for along time for a hunter class gun but i dought if you even know what that means so get off your internet ass ang go find a silhoutte match and try it you [bleep] mean man you go impress some one with your skill at shooting instead of typing mad
Dummy.

I ranked NRA Master Class in BPCR Silhouette years ago. Also won my division at the Nationals twice.

Much tougher game than playing with 22 rifles out to 100 yards.

Too much recoil, and too much shooting and handloading skill is required for the smokeless weenies to hang.

Kathy Winstead gave up after a few matches.

As to your Weatherby- I know this is hard for you to understand, but they actually SERVICE the rifles they sell!

Call their CS number and cry on their shoulder. I bet they would even send you a replacement gun if yours truly will not shoot under 1/2 at 50 yards for five shots with SOMETHING..

http://www.weatherby.com/company/contactus
well if you know cathy you know she lives very close to me and no weatherby dont service that .22 they send it to anchuze never shot BP before but do shoot the HP silhoutte game ant thing eles yopu wopul like to inform me of ? i do need to go to bed bed with the wife and not my stuffed bunny like you
and oh yea cathy is widstead-serving and got a baby about a year old now . and for the record she dont really like shooting HP either aint the recoil just a like to do thing!! next i bet you are better than her ?????
Have fun with your wife ID.

Tell her I said she is a brave woman to live with a whiner like yourself.

I bet she has to change the oil in YOUR vehicle.

nope but she will out shot your sorry ass MF yea if you knew it is not yrds it is meters
and oh yea cathy is widstead-serving and got a baby about a year old now . and for the record she dont really like shooting HP either aint the recoil just a like to do thing!! next i bet you are better than her ?????

Actually I AM a BETTER BPCR shot than her. That is a proven fact.

She never got past AA class, I believe.

And for your information cretin, the last Nationals I shot in out of 718 relays fired on Chickens I was only one of THREE shooters to hit more than ten out of 15 in any relay. I did it twice.

I could also kick your wimpy little azz all over a Silhouette range with your own rifles.

Anyone like you who cannot figure out how to tune a .22 sporter is not exactly someone I am impressed with.
i have my own shooting range in backyard any time you make it to sw mo let me know come by and give me lessons
you talking how long ago ?
i have my own shooting range in backyard any time you make it to sw mo let me know come by and give me lessons

Pretty hard to give "lessons" to someone so dense they can't even sort out a Weatherby XXII sporter.

Or properly read my first post on this thread without wetting their lace panties and starting an argument.
I hate to interrupt but to answer the original question I have owned two of the Weatherby's and at least 3 other Anschutz rifles with the 64 action and I would never recommend these to anyone, the problem with mine was not really accuracy but function, particularly ejection issues. I did like the last MK XXII I had (it was most beautiful) but about half the spent cases would not eject properly so I called one of Weatherby's service center's, the one the Weatherby girl suggested and to My surprise the gunsmith told me I was the first person ever to call with a MK XXII that had ejection issues, as far as he knew they were all bullet proof, after this ridiculous statement I politely got off the phone ASAP and sold the rifle, I then swore to never own another rimfire rifle that has an Anschutz 64 action, that has been 4 years ago now and I am still keeping My word...............Hillbilly.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I hate to interrupt but to answer the original question I have owned two of the Weatherby's and at least 3 other Anschutz rifles with the 64 action and I would never recommend these to anyone, the problem with mine was not really accuracy but function, particularly ejection issues. I did like the last MK XXII I had (it was most beautiful) but about half the spent cases would not eject properly so I called one of Weatherby's service center's, the one the Weatherby girl suggested and to My surprise the gunsmith told me I was the first person ever to call with a MK XXII that had ejection issues, as far as he knew they were all bullet proof, after this ridiculous statement I politely got off the phone ASAP and sold the rifle, I then swore to never own another rimfire rifle that has an Anschutz 64 action, that has been 4 years ago now and I am still keeping My word...............Hillbilly.

VA..

The "interuption" is most welcome..

The whole case ejection issue is the one consistent complaint I have heard about the Weatherby's and the m64 Annies and I believe it.

VA,

I did send mine back to Weatherby for service. They told me that it is normal. To ensure proper ejection I was to pull the bolt back "smartly". Seems according to some of the Annie folks at RFC, the ejectors "internal length" is about 0.010" too short and a wee bit of filing will solved the issue. I need to bust out the files and get busy. May take a while with my little jeweler's file.
VA,

I did send mine back to Weatherby for service. They told me that it is normal. To ensure proper ejection I was to pull the bolt back "smartly". Seems according to some of the Annie folks at RFC, the ejectors "internal length" is about 0.010" too short and a wee bit of filing will solved the issue. I need to bust out the files and get busy. May take a while with my little jeweler's file.

A,

Ejection is not just the force of the bolt and the ejector protrusion but also the hold the extractor hook has on the case causing of to "pop" off the bolt fact at an angle allowing it to clear the receiver. So, the ejector hook tension and shape also comes into play as well.

Other rifles with similar static ejector types like the CZ 452s can give problems if the extractions hooks are not tuned properly.

Avagadro, I hope you get your rifle straightened out as I know how frustrating this problem can be, and once again you are right Jim, I have had a few CZ 452's that were afflicted with the same ejection problem...................Hillbilly.
hmmmm .... Marlins and Rugers are where I've spent my dollars prior to the weatherby .... never had a problem like this.
Ruger 77/22 rifles are a very good value in My opinion, every one I have owned over the years (4 or 5) has functioned flawlessly, I don't currently own one but probably will take the plunge for a new stainless synthetic model now that they have finally quit using the boat paddle stock..............Hillbilly.
hmmmm .... Marlins and Rugers are where I've spent my dollars prior to the weatherby .... never had a problem like this.

That's because they have much longer ejector prongs than the little nubs seen in the m64 Annies etc.

I've owned plenty of Marlins and Rugers as well.

FWIW, even thought I have heard of folks with CZ452s that would not eject well, I have never had that problem with the dozen or so I have owned during the last 10 years...
I must be Mr. Bad Luck then Jim cause I've had two 452's and both had ejection problems...................Hillbilly.
I've never had trouble with my 452's and I've had one or two as long as they have imported them-probably 8 or 9 rifles over the year. I love 'em.
I guess I've been lucky. My favorite rimfire is a BRNO model 2
I must be Mr. Bad Luck then Jim cause I've had two 452's and both had ejection problems...................Hillbilly.

VA.

While I don't dispute the fact you had problems with your CZ M452s it was probably the way you are working the bolt- not fast enough or with enough snap. Some designs are more forgiving of that than others. The CZ m452 is not one of them.

Most rimfire bolt guns are not very forgiving in terms of ejection. They have very short bolt travels, not much room there to get up a head of steam for any real bolt velocity going rearward.

There is also not a lot of bolt mass. Both mean there is not a lot of speed/inertia when the bolt hits the bolt stop, etc.

More CZ m452 have made than most any other commercial sporting rimfire bolt action in the world. Over the last 60 years, the desgin has become the M98 Mauser of the rimfire bolt actions sporters. Many millions have been built and sold. They are highly thought of in spaces like Africa and Australia where they are worked pretty hard..They did not get that popular by being crap in design or workmanship.

FWIW, I can make any good 98 Mauser rifle double feed and jam. Yes- it is supposedly impossible, but is is easy to do if you short stroke the bolt at the right point in it's travel- which people can do under stress.
Sorry Jim, but the problem wasn't me not snapping the bolt back with enough pop, I called CZ and one of their smiths knew exactly what the problem was and sent me brand new extractors which were easily installed (even for me) and after that the rifle worked fine, I sold (almost gave)the other 452 I bought later that had the same issues to a buddy, I told him to call CZ as I had done before, CZ took care of him as they did me, as far as I know he still has the rifle but I haven't asked him if he has had any more ejection issues. I am not near the CZ fan that you are but I will concede that the CZ bolt action rimfires are some of the best values on the market, accuracy was good but not outstanding in the two I had but fit and finish was excellent on both rifles, however I won't own another 452, though I may get a wild hair someday and try a Mod 455 just for the hell of it.............Hillbilly.
VA.

OK, I stand corrected now that you have explained specifically what the cause was.

So they made a run of extractors that were out of spec, it still has no bearing on the basic design. It is sound design if built to spec..

There was a time about 4-5 years ago where I was hearing of spate of both ejection and extraction issues with CZs. MUst have been a temporary QC issue as it it not something I have heard or seen consistently.Especially give the more than 1 million m452 rifles made in just the last ten years.

And the effectiveness of any static ejector system still is ultimately connected to how one works the bolt. It is one reason why spring loaded plunger ejects were invented.
I'd say keeping quality control up would be a tough job for CZ pumping out 1 million 452's in 10 years, I know they are very popular, I don't know if their popularity will hold into the future though, I have watched the price of these rifles rise substantially over the past few years, they are now on par with Rugers 77/22 and others, I think CZ's very reasonable price point in the past has helped with popularity...................Hillbilly.
I'd say keeping quality control up would be a tough job for CZ pumping out 1 million 452's in 10 years, I know they are very popular, I don't know if their popularity will hold into the future though, I have watched the price of these rifles rise substantially over the past few years, they are now on par with Rugers 77/22 and others, I think CZ's very reasonable price point in the past has helped with popularity...................Hillbilly.

I agree with the price point thing, but the cheapest Ruger m77/22 brand new are about $550 street price. which is still nearly double that of the least expensive CZ m452 at around $300 (for the scout and trainer).

And price increases to the contrary, the CZs still seem to out shoot most any brand of gun in their price range and many costing far more.
Yes, I would also say without doubt that a CZ rimfire will out shoot everything in it's price range, when I say CZ 452 I am referring to the American model, I know they make many models of 452 some are cheaper than the American and they also look it, the only CZ's I have experience with are the American models, I would even say on average that a CZ 452 American would out shoot a Ruger 77/22 but in every other aspect I'd go with the Ruger.............Hillbilly.
HEY Virgil .... its FIXED!!!

Well Va & jim motivated me to get off my dead arse and I worked on my XXII. I used the file and removed 0.010" from part of the extractor as described over on RFC under one of the Annie threads. Test fired 100 rounds of Std Vel CCI through it on Saturday. Worked like a champ. Was ejecting as well as either of my two Marlin bolt rifles. Mucho joy in Roysville (or is it Royshaven?).

So to the OP, the fix is easy. But one does question if this should be needed on a rimfire costing between $750 & $850.

Edited to add .... I think if my Marlin ignites a 17HMR bug insid me, I could see a second so chambered XXII living at my house.
George, That's GREAT!!!

Mine "dribbles" emptys every once in a while.

If you come down this summer, BRING YOUR FILE !!!

Good to hear you fixed the problem!

The 17 HMR is a joy to shoot furry/feathered VARMITS with! (GRIN!)

You can't go wrong!

Virgil B.
Glad to hear you got your rifle straightened out George, a rifle that works like it's supposed to is a joy to own but one that don't function right is a pain in the azz..........enjoy.......Hillbilly.

So to the OP, the fix is easy. But one does question if this should be needed on a rimfire costing between $750 & $850.

George,

You know the line: Breathe in, breathe out, move on.... grin

Maybe you should publicize this over on the hunting rifles section and the XXII will take Kimber's place as the rifle to bash...
Dat be fine by me ... I'd love to pick up an HMR for $350 smile smile

I just wish I was a jellyfish smile
© 24hourcampfire