Home
Posted By: humdinger Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/10/15
What is your 22 rimfire "truck gun"? I know a lot of people carry bigger power (and you can throw that out there), but most people carry the lowly 22.

My dads was a remington pump model 12 or a marlin glenfield 22 or a Marlin bolt 22 mag with removable magazine. The favorite was the 22 mag because it had more power.

When I go back to the farm, its usually a ruger 10/22 because of the carbine size and magazine feed. I'll throw in the 77/22 target if I know I am going to pick off pigeons off the tin shed roofs, but its an expensive rifle for knocking around.

So what are your truck guns? Extra credit for pictures.

Edit: In Minnesota, we are required to be cased & unloaded so magazine fed guns rule.
Marlin XR .22 bolt with a 3-9X40 ER Nikon scope.
Posted By: Valkrod Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/10/15
pump remington
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/10/15
Rem 580 SS. Muddy
humdinger - mine is a new/old "Franken-Ruger" 10/22. Took the action from a new 'compact' w/16 inch barrel and installed it using an ancient full size LOP Ruger stock. Added a new Ruger after-market trigger group (2.5#) and an old steel Weaver K2.5X w/ dual X scope. Now I have an accurate, very handy Jeep .22LR. Homesteader
Ruger 10/22 with a Simmons "22 MAG" 3-9x32 scope.

[Linked Image]

Ruger Single-Six 22LR
[Linked Image]

Remington Model 550-1....
Marlin 982S with a 3.5-10x40 Simmons Whitetail Classic in B-Square SUV low alloy rings and a Rossi 515, both .22 Magnums, but I have a set of six chamber inserts to allow me to plink with .22LR ammo in the Rossi or loaded singly in the Marlin.
Posted By: BMR Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/10/15
A S&W 15-22 with Nikon P-22 2-7X.
This week it is my 39a and CZ .22 mag. I really don't carry .22's much any more in the truck.. Just during spring gopher shooting...
Marlin Model 60 Carbine with a tube fed magazine lives in my truck 24 / 7

Don't leave my Nylon 66 in there any more. It's getting too dang valuable and hard to replace!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/12/15
Foxy lady liberal says, "Would you shoot a varmint in my chicken coop."

The gun to take is a $35 Marlin single shot 22 that is pre 68 with no serial numbers.

Be ready to walk away from it.
"I have never seen that gun before."

Take condoms.
[Linked Image]

Annie 1418.. like the amex card.. Never leave home without it (going to the woods)
Posted By: eh76 Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/13/15
Had one of those years ago. Sold it to pay wife's medical bills. Very nice rifle!
Originally Posted by brayhaven
[Linked Image]

Annie 1418.. like the amex card.. Never leave home without it (going to the woods)

Very nice.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/13/15
I ate armadillo in Zipolite Mexico in 1972. The hunter killed it with a stick and sold to to a restaurant [picnic bench owner].
I probably paid 10 pesos.

Now it has become horribly expensive and you have to know someone.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Foxy lady liberal says, "Would you shoot a varmint in my chicken coop."

The gun to take is a $35 Marlin single shot 22 that is pre 68 with no serial numbers.

Be ready to walk away from it.
"I have never seen that gun before."

Take condoms.

You channeling gus or kawi?
Posted By: deflave Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Take condoms.

+1

Clark
Very nice looking rifle.

I didn't realize armadillo deflate once you shoot them.
Posted By: deflave Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/14/15
CZ 455. 16" barrel.
[Linked Image]
Way too nice to be a truck gun!
"Very nice looking rifle.
I didn't realize armadillo deflate once you shoot them."

Thanks, I guess it depends on what you shoot em with cool . I normally don't like to shoot them, but these 2 were burrowing under the house foundation and rooting up my wifes gardens every night. So they went in the garden permanently. I ate some as a kid while camping and they weren't bad fried. My brother in Nashville wrote a song about "Armadillo Rellenos" (the other white meat). Didn't quite make the charts frown
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Way too nice to be a truck gun!

Life's too short to carry (or shoot) an ugly gun smile

My old Marlin 60 would have to qualify as the truck .22. It's got finish worn off from riding in the old rifle rack in the truck window (remember those, when you could leave your rifle in the truck rack and not worry about some riff-raff stealing it???) shocked .

Mine rode there in the truck window a LOT, as did Dad's old Stevens 86D, which I have, too. Both rifles accounted for a helluva lot of small game and other things that needed shot or killed. grin
I may have a new truck gun to replace the 10/22. I inherited a broken up mossberg bolt action 22 single shot that was made for western field (wards? or sears?). I have $25 into it for repair parts and a scope mount. Rifle still looks rough.

I shot dime size groups at 50 yards with it using cheapy 40 grain federal loads and it just beat out my 77/22 that day.

I may have to watch for an old mossberg repeater!

(or a ruger american rimfire and ditch my sometimes finiky 10/22)
Posted By: Ackman Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/16/15
For years it was a T/C super 16 22lr barrel rechambered to 22Mag, with carbine buttstock. Very versatile and safe, short and the perfect window gun. Now the truck .22 is a custom 77/22Mag, goes on every outing.
Wal-Mart Special Ruger 10-22 in SS with the black and grey stock. Leupold 4X rimfire scope. Black and red Ruger padded case behind the seat of the work truck.
Nemohunter bbl, Que bolt, TT Shooter trigger.
Shoots Win. PP very well. Easy minute of critter.

Coach
remington 597 or savage model 24, .22lr over 20ga.
Posted By: kecatt Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/17/15
Marlin 7000. The red dot is gone and it currently wears a Nikon 4x rimfire scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/18/15
Savage 24 DL .22 Magnum/20 ga. Someone took off the walnut stock and replaced it with a scratched up plastic one...but it is one hole accurate at 50 yards with 40 grain Winchester Super-X...

Bob
Posted By: maddog Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/20/15
My H&R Sportster, break open single shot. Love hunting/shooting that lil gun.

maddog
Originally Posted by Old Coach
Wal-Mart Special Ruger 10-22 in SS with the black and grey stock. Leupold 4X rimfire scope. Black and red Ruger padded case behind the seat of the work truck.
Nemohunter bbl, Que bolt, TT Shooter trigger.
Shoots Win. PP very well. Easy minute of critter.

Coach

Is that the 20" or 22" ones walmart sold?

I wish I bought one of them. You never see them come up used.

This is my truck gun,
Rem #6 with a relined barrel.

Pup is backup for the rifle, or is the rifle backup for Pup?

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

THis is what its for:

Posted By: kecatt Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/24/15
Originally Posted by ruger438
This is my truck gun,

THis is what its for:

VERY cool!
Years ago I had a rack attached to the dash of my 65 chevy pu si my pump Rossi would stand virtical in the cab.. Worked great...
Originally Posted by kecatt
Originally Posted by ruger438
This is my truck gun,

THis is what its for:

VERY cool!

Seeing that one... I wish I had not sold my savage favorite 72
Posted By: EdM Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/26/15
Just picked up what will now become my truck gun.

[Linked Image]
I don't have a picture and the rifle is currently loaned out for a friend to train his daughter on, but my main truck gun is a 25 year old Daisy with a synthetic stock and some kind of polymer surrounding the barrel, so it is pretty much weatherproof. I bought it for my kids to learn on when my son was 10, because it had an adjustable buttstock. The rifle is surprisingly accurate and is really lightweight. With the stock set to the shortest position, it is easy to stow.
The one I have been using the most is my 452 FS 22 Mag. It is fairly short and shoots great and has a little more range and punch than the 22LR. I still use a 22 when going out and usually will be a peep sight 39A Marlin. This is my CZ with a 2-7 Leupold. I cut the clip off as I didn't like it sticking out. Much cleaner look now.
[Linked Image]
Nice rifle! Whereabouts did you shoot that stickerpig?
Posted By: cv540 Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/26/15
Mine will be a Ruger American Predator in 22 lr. Pick it up tomorrow smile
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/28/15
[Linked Image]

My current go to gun is a Win 61.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/29/15

My current go to gun is a Win 61. [/quote]

Maybe the best pump .22 ever. But they sure didn't stock it for scope use. Been there, done that. Never could get used to it. But I love the rifle, and that is one of the best scopes it could wear.

That's probably about a $1200 or more truck gun, scope included.
Gundoc,
Was that factory set up for scopes?
I have an elderly friend that leaves his in the garage by the window loaded with CCI cb shorts to whack squirrels off the bird feeder. Actually the squirrel bait station since he has a ramp for them to crawl up to it...
He paid $20 for the rifle in the early 60s and its his only 22... I haven't told him how expensive Winchester have gotten.
I wasn't sure if it came ready for the scope or he tapped it later.

H
I keep a Savage 24C 22/20 gauge behind the seat of the Tacoma. A small canvas shoulder bag with 22 long rifle, #6 shot, a few slugs & a bic lighter inside. Covers a lot of ground.
humdinger,

Point taken, and no argument from me. Not much was set up for scopes back in the day, although Winchester did put Monte Carlo combs and taller iron sights on Model 70's starting in 1952.

hell, some guns that must have a scope aren't stocked for it even today. The Ruger 10/22 Target being a good example.

I have found just about all grooved topped .22's difficult as far as scopes. Not only are they not stocked for it, but most have understandably short receivers.

Did you know a 61 is like a Model 12 shotgun in that you can hold the trigger back and fire as fast as you can run the action?
Gundoc,

I wasnt clear in my question.

Did the rifle come FACTORY tapped or grooved for scope mounting? Or was that something you did or the previous owner?

I agree that the stocks are not great and the worst case is when people put see-through rings on a marlin lever action... probably worse on a win 94. I bought a marlin used like that and I needed "chin weld" when I tried the scope.

Posted By: Owl Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 04/29/15
I used to keep a Savage .17 HMR in my truck, until it was stolen. I'm now in the process of building a Frankenstein Mosin Nagant. The only thing left is to mount a front sight, or a scope. It should be good for any critters I can find in Arizona. Rabbits, coyotes, skunks... 2 legged coyotes too.

When I was younger, living in Nevada & Utah, I kept an old Buffalo Scout .22 pistol under the seat. It was used for dispatching trapped coyotes.
humdinger,

No, you were plenty clear in your question. Seems I misread the sentence.

Anyway, I am not a M61 expert, but I know a little. Some, like mine, (which as it turns out, was made in '61) are grooved, while some older ones are not. I do not believe any were factory drilled and tapped. Hopefully some real M61 experts can shed more light on your question. (Might try the Winchester Collectors sub-forum, too)
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Whats your "truck gun" 22? - 05/02/15
Mine is a Marlin Model 60 with a peep sight. I don't mind leaving the rifle out of sight in the truck, but I take in the box of 22 ammo each night and put it in the safe.
Had six firearms in the truck today, only two were rimfires. My wife lets me run around the countryside with her 22/45 Lite w Volquartsen trigger group, VZ Operator Grips, Hi-Viz front sight and a faux suppressor (CCI Subsonic) wink

I bought the 10/22 in Redding, CA in June '78. Camo TacSol threaded bbl. and pic rail, Pentax BDC 4-12x40 (CCI Velocitor)

First year G35 w CT LG, and ragged ol' 442 w new Zebra VZ 320s ( loaded 1 CCI snakeshot. &. 4 BB HCWCs @ 850 fps for vipers w & W/O legs.

Benelli M2 and Colt Commando in back seat... cool
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Mine is a Marlin Model 60 with a peep sight. I don't mind leaving the rifle out of sight in the truck, but I take in the box of 22 ammo each night and put it in the safe.

It is about that sad...
[Linked Image]

Ruger 10/22, tac sol barrel, trigger job by brimstone, aac element ii suppressor. Wolf match round in the head at fifty three yards!
© 24hourcampfire