Mine will be a Ruger American Predator in 22 lr. Pick it up tomorrow smile

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

My current go to gun is a Win 61.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My current go to gun is a Win 61. [/quote]

Maybe the best pump .22 ever. But they sure didn't stock it for scope use. Been there, done that. Never could get used to it. But I love the rifle, and that is one of the best scopes it could wear.

That's probably about a $1200 or more truck gun, scope included.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gundoc,
Was that factory set up for scopes?
I have an elderly friend that leaves his in the garage by the window loaded with CCI cb shorts to whack squirrels off the bird feeder. Actually the squirrel bait station since he has a ramp for them to crawl up to it...
He paid $20 for the rifle in the early 60s and its his only 22... I haven't told him how expensive Winchester have gotten.
I wasn't sure if it came ready for the scope or he tapped it later.

H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
T
I keep a Savage 24C 22/20 gauge behind the seat of the Tacoma. A small canvas shoulder bag with 22 long rifle, #6 shot, a few slugs & a bic lighter inside. Covers a lot of ground.

Last edited by threerivers; 04/29/15.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
humdinger,

Point taken, and no argument from me. Not much was set up for scopes back in the day, although Winchester did put Monte Carlo combs and taller iron sights on Model 70's starting in 1952.

hell, some guns that must have a scope aren't stocked for it even today. The Ruger 10/22 Target being a good example.

I have found just about all grooved topped .22's difficult as far as scopes. Not only are they not stocked for it, but most have understandably short receivers.

Did you know a 61 is like a Model 12 shotgun in that you can hold the trigger back and fire as fast as you can run the action?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gundoc,

I wasnt clear in my question.

Did the rifle come FACTORY tapped or grooved for scope mounting? Or was that something you did or the previous owner?

I agree that the stocks are not great and the worst case is when people put see-through rings on a marlin lever action... probably worse on a win 94. I bought a marlin used like that and I needed "chin weld" when I tried the scope.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to keep a Savage .17 HMR in my truck, until it was stolen. I'm now in the process of building a Frankenstein Mosin Nagant. The only thing left is to mount a front sight, or a scope. It should be good for any critters I can find in Arizona. Rabbits, coyotes, skunks... 2 legged coyotes too.

When I was younger, living in Nevada & Utah, I kept an old Buffalo Scout .22 pistol under the seat. It was used for dispatching trapped coyotes.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
humdinger,

No, you were plenty clear in your question. Seems I misread the sentence.

Anyway, I am not a M61 expert, but I know a little. Some, like mine, (which as it turns out, was made in '61) are grooved, while some older ones are not. I do not believe any were factory drilled and tapped. Hopefully some real M61 experts can shed more light on your question. (Might try the Winchester Collectors sub-forum, too)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Marlin Model 60 with a peep sight. I don't mind leaving the rifle out of sight in the truck, but I take in the box of 22 ammo each night and put it in the safe.

Harry
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had six firearms in the truck today, only two were rimfires. My wife lets me run around the countryside with her 22/45 Lite w Volquartsen trigger group, VZ Operator Grips, Hi-Viz front sight and a faux suppressor (CCI Subsonic) wink

I bought the 10/22 in Redding, CA in June '78. Camo TacSol threaded bbl. and pic rail, Pentax BDC 4-12x40 (CCI Velocitor)

First year G35 w CT LG, and ragged ol' 442 w new Zebra VZ 320s ( loaded 1 CCI snakeshot. &. 4 BB HCWCs @ 850 fps for vipers w & W/O legs.
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Benelli M2 and Colt Commando in back seat... cool

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 05/02/15.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Mine is a Marlin Model 60 with a peep sight. I don't mind leaving the rifle out of sight in the truck, but I take in the box of 22 ammo each night and put it in the safe.

It is about that sad...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]

Ruger 10/22, tac sol barrel, trigger job by brimstone, aac element ii suppressor. Wolf match round in the head at fifty three yards!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (204guy, 12344mag, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.