Home
Posted By: hanco Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Do you have it, still looking, had it, sold or gave it away???

Mine is an early Sako L-61 with a 26” barrel 300 H&H
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Still searching I’ve reached mile markers along the journey
Posted By: Brad Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Mine is in pieces yet to be assembled.

Stainless 1996 made M70 SA
"Modified" M70 Featherweight barrel tapering to .600" @ 22"
308 Win / 1-11" custom throated to a 165 NAB
NECG open sights
Blind magaizine bow OR 1-piece PT&G Al bottom metal (haven't decided)
Bansner stock
Recknagel Picatinny 1" Low detchable lever rings
Nikon Al Weaver bases
Leupold 2.5-8x36 B&C or 2-7x33 Redfield with doughnut of death
Butler Creek Mountain Sling

In an ideal world, nitride the whole thing.

The other is to rebarrel my Kimber MT 308 to a modified 84M profile tapering to .620" @ 22.5" / 1-11" / custom throated to the 165 NAB.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I could part with just about any gun I own......I dont have any I regret purchasing, I think they're all quality built firearms .......not really emotionally attached to any particular one however.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I don't own my Holy Grail, and may never. But if I did, it would be

On the High end
Rigby Highland Stalker .30-06
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

or

On the Highest end
Westley Richards Magazine Rifle .375 H&H

The Rigby is almost obtainable. If I sold 4 or 5 scoped rifles. The WR, nah, it's like $70,000+.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I've got a Remington 700 LVSF in 243, which I believe was the rarest chambering in that model. Got a couple more that would probably qualify as Holy Grail material, at least to me.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I still have my Holy Grail, have not shot it in a few years because it needs a new barrel.
I was into long range shooting long before Lil' Dick took off his diapers !!!!!!

It is a totally custom built 338 Lapua Improved,36" 1.450" barrel with BAT M action on a McMillan 50HBR stock. with a 70 MOA base it was good to go anywhere past 1000 yards until the 300gr SMK was no longer supersonic
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
You gals and your Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqktitude,are simply fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The L-61 is too trite in COAL for a full length H&H. Hint.

The "custom" NAB throat is funnier than fhuqk,but she can only do her best,ith hat she "has" to "work" with. Pass a Skinner Square Smooch at 2.750" COAL,for room to chase lands. Google as you MUST. Hint.

Kudos on the HILARITY of them firewood stocked pieces of fhuqking schit,that wouldn't last a day outside. Hint.

At least the .243" LVSF has some mechanical attributes,as their RPM/throat/COAL jive 105's nicely. Hint.

ButtCancer tops 'er off with her uncrontrollable Insecurities! Sorted things about this afternoon ad "only" counted 107 die sets. From the hip,can only think of (1) receiver that's on it's 6th spout. Haven't put a new rifle together since day before last,but have a couple to work on this evening. Hint.

Pardon well thunked wares that exist ladies,but fortunately for you CLUELESS Kchunts,Imagination nd Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Not specifically a hunting rifle, but:

My holy grail rifle is a Mauser Kar-98A, pre 1915 Imperial German cavalry carbine.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

On the High end

or

On the Highest end

The Rigby is almost obtainable. If I sold 4 or 5 scoped rifles. The WR, nah, it's like $70,000+.

These two, exactly. Except the Rigby would have to be in .275

It wouldn't hurt to have another rifle from either maker in .300 H&H
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
A decent condition Remington model 14 or Stevens 425 in 25 Remington. I've come across them in 30, 32, and 35, but not 25.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Rigby Highland Stalker in .275....
WTH......if we're dreaming let's dream big. Make it Jim Corbetts' Rigby .275.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
For a hunter, mine's the cerakoted, 22" sporter contour, 6.5 Fieldcraft. Mt. Rifle sling, Chris's xxlow stainless faux talley rings, S&B PMII 6x42, tenebraex scope covers. I keep trying to find/build something I prefer but haven't found it yet.

[Linked Image]

Pre-great rings...they made a good thing even better...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
The transition to plastic and stainless leaves me cold. It seems to be a generational thing that isn’t stopping very soon.

I still like Eric Clapton, 3 Dog Night, Crosby Stills and Nash and a host of other rock greats from the 60’s and 70’s, yet there is some noise that people now call music, but all the old stuff I listened to is still in print 50 years later.

I doubt plastic stocks and crap music will endure as well..
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
A really nice matching swede 96
Posted By: Jericho Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
A Mexican Arisaka in 7X57MM
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
It changes. Right now it's a Ruger No.1 in 25-06 with really nice wood. Still haven't found it yet.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
A really nice matching swede 96

There's lots of those still around. I picked this 1899 Carl Gustaf M96/38 up years ago for a couple hundred bucks. All matching numbers, including stock and handguard. There's some oil staining on the wood, but the metal is incredible and the bore is pristine. Look around and you will find one.

Posted By: geedubya Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
It changes. Right now it's a Ruger No.1 in 25-06 with really nice wood. Still haven't found it yet.

Currently........

This Blaser R93, Grand Luxe Stutzen combo

30-06 Springfield and 9.3 x 62

However, subject to change!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
(1) down,mebbe yet another one this evening. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Remington 8/81 in .35 Rem w/ rear peep.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Accurate, lightweight rifle, around 6lbs, synthetic stock, 7mm RM loaded to 65,000psi or 7mm PRC with 155g Federal Terminal Ascent bullet.
Posted By: Judman Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
While I love nice wood/blue, I’ll spend my $$$ on trips/tags/fishin. Guns are just a “thing”. I’ll take bone and hides on the wall. 👊🏻

Oh and knives, I appreciate a fine blade, fuuck the replaceable shiit and the flatbill tags that use em. 👊🏻👍
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
For a hunter, mine's ...................

Originally Posted by shrapnel
The transition to plastic and stainless leaves me cold. It seems to be a generational thing that isn’t stopping very soon.

I still like Eric Clapton, 3 Dog Night, Crosby Stills and Nash and a host of other rock greats from the 60’s and 70’s, yet there is some noise that people now call music, but all the old stuff I listened to is still in print 50 years later.

Everyone only has to please themselves. "For a hunter" was my main consideration, with "for a shooter" being a secondary consideration. Stainless, synthetic, and coated have some advantages there. Wood and blued can certainly get the job done and IMHO be much nicer to look at, feel, and have much more "soul". Nothing wrong with that if it's your preference.

I've heard vinyl is making a comeback. Victrola's are still available....and made to record directly from vinyl to USB. Wonder why?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The "custom" NAB throat is funnier than fhuqk,but she can only do her best,ith hat she "has" to "work" with. Pass a Skinner Square Smooch at 2.750" COAL,for room to chase lands. Google as you MUST. Hint.

It's not surprising in your narcissism you completely miss the fact that a SAAMI 308 Win chamber is throated for 180 gr RN bullets. In my 308's the 165 NAB touch the lands at 2.925", and 2.950" respectively, but have 2.820" magazines. Not very handy for "kissing" the lands, unless I want rifles with magazines used as single shots. But then I don't spray paint my rifles insane colors like a mentally ill tagger while simultaneously bragging about it - Hint: Google "Paint Tagger."
Posted By: hicountry Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I run 155 Scenars in my pre64 model 88.

Load them to mag constraints....in that case clip...

Shoot them mid 2800s, and under moa.

Varget and the 155s are a great combo in the 308.

Re. My holy grail....

Have a few I've been jonesing for.

700ti, in 280 probably it, followed by my Dakota 76, in 7mm Dakota
Originally Posted by hicountry
I run 155 Scenars in my pre64 model 88.

Load them to mag constraints....in that case clip...

Shoot them mid 2800s, and under moa.

Varget and the 155s are a great combo in the 308.

Sometimes it works out well like your rifle, sometimes it doesn't.

In the case of my 308's they shoot better closer to the lands than the magazine constraints allow. Hence a custom throat for the 165 Accubond. Regardless, I have over 1200 qty 165 NAB's on hand - a bullet I happen to really like for elk.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Remington 700 LVSF 7mm08 or 308

Remington Model Seven XCR 7mm08 or 308
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Im sure I already have it.
Posted By: BrowningGuy88 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I have some classics that folks consider Grails. Remington 14 in 30 remington, Remington 141 Carbine in 35 remington, remington 81 in 300 savage, etc.

I really only want 3 more rifles:

A High Wall or #1 in a 25-06 or 257 Wby

A bolt action of something similar to a Sendero or custom build to use on power line cuts deer hunting.

A Browning T Bolt 22 mag in a high grade stock.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22

Everyone only has to please themselves. "For a hunter" was my main consideration, with "for a shooter" being a secondary consideration. Stainless, synthetic, and coated have some advantages there. Wood and blued can certainly get the job done and IMHO be much nicer to look at, feel, and have much more "soul". Nothing wrong with that if it's your preference.

I've heard vinyl is making a comeback. Victrola's are still available....and made to record directly from vinyl to USB. Wonder why?

I like old music too it not sure how that applies to more modern materials used for tools?

I always find it interesting when people who prefer old guns or old school type guns poke fun at the new stuff. It’s normally just guns though because they sure seem to take advantage of modern optics range finders archery equipment….let’s not forget clothing. Kinda hypocritical to mock stainless rifles while enjoying that comfortable Sitka jacket.

Anyway this mornings thought during bathroom break. Back to riding horses and your regular scheduled program.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
^^^^^^^This.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Still have my Holland & Holland Royal double rifle, sold an original Gibbs magnum Mauser in 505, it was indeed to nice to carry and hunt with, from the leather covered pad, to gold inlayed lettering, to the bluing on the steel, to exquisite walnut and oil finish, the Express sights were out of this world sharp and clean! it was indeed a world beauty queen, i miss it, but will own no safe queens.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I just want a Ruger No 1 in something 7mm or .308. Nice wood but doesn’t have to be amazing. Used of course. Red pad or black. Doesn’t matter. I’ve wanted one since I was 11 or 12 years old, but the funding just hasn’t materialized yet. It will someday.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
One day when I can scrape up the cash, a ruger no 1 tropical in 8mmrem mag.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I’d like a 6 pound stainless or bronze cerakote finished rifle, fluted barrel, camo synthetic stocked, with a tang safety that locks the bolt when it’s closed, with a sub MOA guarantee…in .257 Roberts.

My personal hunting rifle holy grail!

Anyone have one?

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Pr-64 06 Featherweight I bought here with the typical two cracks in stock that I fixed. Actually had 3 cracks, one was hidden pretty well. All good love the rifle.

Attached picture 06.png
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Guess I’m lucky, have owned a dozen or so pre64 Fwts over the years, not a single one had typical cracks in the stock.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
i like speed i have a Ruger #1 laminated, S.S. Brux barrel 27 Inch , 257 Weatherby mag. shoots 100 gr. Nosler partitions 3700 fps with a Nightforce scope and Picatinny mnts.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I absolutely love it when folks buy the new stuff. Leaves more old, wore out stuff for folks like me.

It’s a win/win deal for all. Everyone is happy! 😁
Posted By: Windfall Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I couldn't buy what I wanted back in the '80's, so I built it. A one size fits all 7mm RM on a 700 action, turned barrel, Brown Kevlar stock, camo paint, Swarovski 2.5-10x42 30mm and 7#. It made into a great mountain rifle, but too much for Midwest whitetail. I started over with a stainless .308 Ruger 77 Mk ll. Re-barreled with a 20" #1 taper Shilen Match Grade 7mm-08, trued up action, reworked trigger, Teflon coated bolt, Brown Precision Kevlar stock, camo painted, sewn on camo Nylon sling, Zeiss 1.5-6x42 30mm Diavari VM/V. 7 pounds 2 ounces. I can only use one at a time and our season isn't that long, so having a safe full of rifles I wouldn't use didn't make much sense.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I like the tiger stripes on this one [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SKane Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I can’t think of one - mine are merely thing-hitting tools.
Phil Shoemaker’s Ole Ugly - due to what it’s seen and stories it could tell would be about the only hardware that’d truly make my socks go up and down.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Kurz Mauser in .250-3000 is my Holy Grail of hunting rifles…….but that’s just me.😁

PennDog
Posted By: Igloo Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
No holy grail at all. But LOTS of rifles I'd like to have! smile

Some amazing ones in this thread.
Posted By: Slipstream Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Always wanted a pre-64 Westerner. Even got around to buying a couple bags of brass. The closest I've ever come to seeing one in my price range would have cost me a divorce then, so I held off. Probably should have though, the divorce came later anyhow.....
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I like old music too it not sure how that applies to more modern materials used for tools?

I always find it interesting when people who prefer old guns or old school type guns poke fun at the new stuff. It’s normally just guns though because they sure seem to take advantage of modern optics range finders archery equipment….let’s not forget clothing. Kinda hypocritical to mock stainless rifles while enjoying that comfortable Sitka jacket.

Anyway this mornings thought during bathroom break. Back to riding horses and your regular scheduled program.

I have some old guns that I will never get rid of. There is a Essex 410 shotgun that my grandfather used, then my father did, then me and my three younger brothers, and finally my son. I still use it as a pest gun, and it has to be over a 100 years old. I have my fathers 1911 Colt and his M! Carbine, as well as few other old guns. But, they're not Holy Grain guns to me, they're just guns I'll never part with.

I like synthetic stocks and stainless metal on a rifle I'm using in the field. I can use it, abuse it, and it's still going to pretty much look the same. You can't do that with wood stocked and blued metal guns. Modern stuff is better, almost anyway you cut it. That don't mean it's as pretty, or as appealing to look at and fondle, but when it comes to using it, I happen to prefer it.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
A holy grail has changed a few times over the years. Currently, it is a barrel band Savage 99 H 30-30 and a Lightfoot scope mount.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by roundoak
A holy grail has changed a few times over the years. Currently, it is a barrel band Savage 99 H 30-30 and a Lightfoot scope mount.

100%

I can think of several instances that it took as long as 10 years to acquire a particular rifle at the price I wanted to pay.

It seems the "goalposts" are always in the process of being changed, and that I am always one rifle away from being satisfied(and at times more than one).

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Teal Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
There are some outstanding rifles I'd love to own - That Stalker would certainly be one.

Holy Grail or most aspirational- isn't a rifle. Not for me.

A brace of fine, American made SxS shotguns would be the immediate "lottery winnings purchase"

12 and 16 gauge likely.

Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by roundoak

100%

It seems the "goalposts" are always in the process of being changed, and that I am always one rifle away from being satisfied(and at times more than one).

ya!

GWB

Isn’t that the truth! I no sooner cross something off of a running list that I keep in my mind and there’s something new to move the goal post. It’s been a lifelong obsession since I was about eight years old but I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.
Originally Posted by Teal
There are some outstanding rifles I'd love to own - That Stalker would certainly be one.

A brace of fine, American made SxS shotguns would be the immediate "lottery winnings purchase"

12 and 16 gauge likely.

12 and 16 gauge likely.

WOW. I’d happily take one of each but reckon that I could happily settle for just one in 16 gauge.😃
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
I have mine. A Model 70FW, SS, All Terrain, .30-06. Pretty boring. I have similar M70's in .243, .30-06 (3) .300 Wby and .338 Win Mag. Some have aftermarket stocks. I have a McMillan on the .338 for instance.

It was a .270 with a Boss when I got it (I couldn't find a .30-06). I found an unfired SS .30-06 takeoff and took the rifle to a retired USMC Armorer. He squared everything up, installed the barrel and added iron sights.

Another friend glass bedded the stock with Steelbed and adjusted the trigger. I was going to change the stock out but have never needed to. He shortened the LOP and put a Decelerator on it as well.

To cut weight, I put early blued FW bottom metal on it.

The scope is a 2.5-8x36 Leupold, a VX3I. I have an HD for it but I haven't had the dial made yet. I used Weaver bases and Leupold QR rings. I later switched those out To Weaver Quad Locks.

It shoots very well. I use 180 grain Noslers or Hornady I/L's over 57 gr H-4350 and have for several years. I have used it on three types of deer, elk, antelope, one bighorn and some vermin to include coyotes.
Posted By: Teal Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
WOW. I’d happily take one of each but reckon that I could happily settle for just one in 16 gauge.😃

This works too....

This works too....

As much as I love beautiful walnut I love beautiful fine line checkering even more, fortunately they usually go hand in hand. I have a few good working man’s doubles but doubt if I’ll ever own anything that nice.

There’s something special about cruising two tracks with bird dogs on cool days when the trees are changing, chasing grouse. Apple cider or coffee with cheese, crackers and summer sausage for lunch on the bed of the truck.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Teal Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
I'll never own it either. Thus my "holy grail".

Been saving for a SxS with superb wood so if I do come across something - I can strike while the iron is hot. Fausti, AYA, Rizzini or Upland Gun company.

Almost bought a Beretta Parallelo this spring but I stopped myself. Was 75% of what I wanted and if I'm spending - has to be all the way what I want.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Blaser K95 in 7 rem mag.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Not the Holy Grail, but when I saw it, I knew I wanted it.

Arrieta 903 S x S, 16 gauge, 7-pin sidelock

ya!

GWB
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
I exchanged some emails with AYA a few years back but that was as far as I got. Customer service seemed excellent.

My primary grouse getter is a 20 gauge F.A.I.R Iside that fits well after adding a 3/4” pad. I hunt some with a 28 gauge Ruger Red Label that needs a longer pad to fit well but I’ll probably give it to my daughter eventually and I bought it NOS a few years ago so hate to beat it up to much.

A 12 gauge Browning Citori is my dual purpose casual clays and once in a blue moon wild pheasant gun. It’s portly and not really perfect for anything but fit me just right off of the rack.
Posted By: elkrazy Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by hanco

I also have a thing for old Sakos and the 300 H&H. I finally found an early L61R in 300H&H (really early by serial number). The barrel was 24 inches which worked for me. The wood had to be refinished so that was a bummer. But the wood and gun is so svelte and it weighed just a bit over 7lbs with no scope. Love that gun. It will be one of the last I let go of.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Blaser K95 in 7 rem mag.

K95, 30-06 Springfield

Kinda hard to sneak up on at a reasonable price, but the two I've owned were/are sweet shooters and easy to carry.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Winchester model 71 Deluxe carbine.

Never seen one in person.
Posted By: Stix Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
76’ Winchester Deluxe 50-95.....
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Stix

Very nice choice there. I came close to getting a repro Uberti 76 in 45-60 last year, but I was looking for a 22" carbine, and all anyone had were the full length 28 inchers. Ended up getting an 1873 20" SR in 45 Colt instead.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Winchester model 71 Deluxe carbine.

Never seen one in person.

10/4 on that........

Close, but no cigar!

Browning M71, High Grade, 348 Win.

Nonneman Custom Winchester M71, 475 Turnbull

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Mine is a mark x in 30-06. Pretty plain Jane but dam it can shoot...if I do my part
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Stix

Here is your huckleberry. I missed it by $33,000.00…

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...model-1876-50-express-lever-action-rifle
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Some really nice firearms I see.

Take care

Headed to the rack.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Holy grail rifle? Not me. Over the years I have owned more rifles than I could possibly recall And I liked a bunch of them but I always grew bored with any given rifle after a while and Eventually sold it and I have Not really regretted letting any of them go.....Hb
Posted By: Hook Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Don't know about holy grails....but these two will do me for what time I have left.

Brno 22F in 7X57:

1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer:

Posted By: TXRam Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Im sure I already have it.

Best post here!

Fairly much the same for me. Even though there is a bunch of stuff out there that I admire, I don’t tend to lust after stuff outta my reach $ wise (or priced beyond what I believe is reasonable).
Somewhere in here, and I think there is more than one...

Fantastic brace of Sako's and Coopers. The others may be more-so, but I'm not qualified to comment.

Just the time it takes to display all those then put them back up would be a Herculean task!

Holy Grail Batman!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: drover Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
This thread got me to thinking about holy grail firearms and I realized that I owned every one that I had fantasized about. Some were as good as I had hoped, others were disappointing but then there was always the next one that would be the perfect one.
What really hit home is that I no longer have a desire for a holy grail firearm, I am satisfied with what I currently have. Hopefully this is just a passing thing but at my age I suspect that I am done searching for the holy grail and am satisfied to use the ones I acquired on the way to this part of my life. It is a feeling that is both sad and satisfying.

drover
Posted By: Teeder Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
I watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" on BBC Channel this morning. Does that count?
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
A real, not a fake put-together, Artillery Luger.

An Al Biesen 270 Win.

I had an Artillery Luger years ago given to me by my “step” father in law. He got to missing it and used family pressure after six months to get it back. Screw him.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Roy Chapman Andrew's personal Savage 1920, #5640.

Any of the other three Savage 1920s that RCA took on his 3rd Expedition into Mongolia, numbers 5575, 5742, and 5747 or the Savage 1899 250-3000 rifle that he carried previously would be okay too.

I have one of Larry Koller's Savage 1920s, #15xx, so I got that covered.

Elmer Keith's 1st Model Newton in 256 Newton would be nice to own too. He included the serial number in "Hell, I Was There!", but I don't remember what it was and would have to look it up.
Posted By: deerslayer6837 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22

Does the 3rd from right Classic Custom have a fluted barrel? Never seen that before.
Posted By: deerslayer6837 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
I’m fond of Cooper and Dakota right now.

Attached picture F7404E09-050A-4813-9282-63AD2B10281D.jpeg
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22

Nice collection, shrapnel.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
I don't have one. They're just killing tools to me. I have ones that do all that needs doing and do it as well as anything could. I found out long ago that I don't enjoy having one that is too nice/valuable because I baby it too much and every little scratch or bump is painful for me. Consequently, hunting with such a gun isn't fun so it just ends up sitting in the safe. I sold the one custom rifle I built for myself and a fine over/under shotgun my ex wife bought me for Christmas for just that reason. Can't see having a gun I don't/can't enjoy using.
Originally Posted by deerslayer6837

Does the 3rd from right Classic Custom have a fluted barrel? Never seen that before.

Yes it does have a fluted barrel and in 204 Ruger…
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Nothing fancy but all are accurate and have taken elk. L to R: 300WM, 30-06, 338WM, all MKII Ruger rifles. The 30-06 is about as good as it gets for an all-around hunting rifle IMHO.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Shrap... Love those rifles. Gives me hope for the next couple of years. I believe that in that group of Sharps you have a cartridge conversion Sharps Carbine. They are not pretty and not svelte but I want one for still hunting moose with a 50/70. Not high priority, one will come my way. They aren't particularly rare but it sure would be a fun gun just for that function.
Posted By: memtb Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Yep, and still enjoy it. I didn’t realize that it was my “holy grail” until I moved to Wyoming and starting hanging out with some shooters, hunters, and a custom gunsmith! memtb
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Looks like Shrapnel has it covered and very well.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Nothing fancy but all are accurate and have taken elk. L to R: 300WM, 30-06, 338WM, all MKII Ruger rifles. The 30-06 is about as good as it gets for an all-around hunting rifle IMHO.

[Linked Image]
I seen a 308 in a gun shop with the same stock sit for 3 years finally I decided to buy it but it was gone🙄
Posted By: Jericho Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/21/22
When I was in FT Hood, TX in the early 90s I bought a Ruger 77RS carbine in 358 WIN NIB. Used it for a couple of years in PENN and sold it. Now I see what they are bringing on GB........
Posted By: Brad Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Jericho
When I was in FT Hood, TX in the early 90s I bought a Ruger 77RS carbine in 358 WIN NIB. Used it for a couple of years in PENN and sold it. Now I see what they are bringing on GB........

I had one - 2nd from top - photo circa 1991:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/22/22
Not counting the unobtainable bespoke English dream guns, I really want a classy 8x68s. I would love to find a late model Weatherby Europa, German or Japanese. The early ones pop up from time to time but they are usually well used and have the provisions for funky European mount scope. There was a gorgeous one up for auction a few years ago but at $3000 was out of my class.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]
Posted By: Shag Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
?
On the High end

or

On the Highest end

Man they are beautiful! What's that Highland Stalker weight?
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/22/22
I would like to at lest temporarily own a nice double rifle. Part of owning it would be taking it to Africa to kill dangerous game. Whether or not I kept it after the trip is up in the air.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
I think I want to be shrapnel when I grow up...
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I would like to at lest temporarily own a nice double rifle. Part of owning it would be taking it to Africa to kill dangerous game. Whether or not I kept it after the trip is up in the air.

I have been thinking of this myself. A nice .470 double seems like something worthy of “grail” status.
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I think I want to be shrapnel when I grow up...

Me too, amazing collection
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
Here are 3 more. They are all buffalo rifles shipped to Bozeman, Montana Territory in the late 1870's. Extremely rare, all 40-90 Bottleneck caliber. The top was shipped to J.G. Dow, a banker in Bozeman that handled Sharps rifles for Walter Cooper who had fallen out of favor with the Sharps rifle company for not staying current in his bill paying. It then ended up in the shop of AD McAusland in Miles City Montana Territory and had a barrel replacement there and stamped with the very rare McAusland stamp. The other 2 Sharps are both 40-90 Bottleneck as well and although I got them over 10 years apart in 2 separate locations, they both letter to Bozeman in the same shipment in 1877...

Here are 3 more. They are all buffalo rifles shipped to Bozeman, Montana Territory in the late 1870's. Extremely rare, all 40-90 Bottleneck caliber. The top was shipped to J.G. Dow, a banker in Bozeman that handled Sharps rifles for Walter Cooper who had fallen out of favor with the Sharps rifle company for not staying current in his bill paying. It then ended up in the shop of AD McAusland in Miles City Montana Territory and had a barrel replacement there and stamped with the very rare McAusland stamp. The other 2 Sharps are both 40-90 Bottleneck as well and although I got them over 10 years apart in 2 separate locations, they both letter to Bozeman in the same shipment in 1877...

Are you able to reload for them? Very cool.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22

Yes, it isn’t easy, but I have dies and paper patch bullets to make them shoot…

Yes, it isn’t easy, but I have dies and paper patch bullets to make them shoot…
That's awesome. If you're ever in the market for an adopted adult son/heir, definitely shoot me a PM 😇😂
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
Posted By: Fotis Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
You gals and your Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqktitude,are simply fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Kudos on the HILARITY of them firewood stocked pieces of fhuqking schit,that wouldn't last a day outside. Hint.

At least the .243" LVSF has some mechanical attributes,as their RPM/throat/COAL jive 105's nicely. Hint.

ButtCancer tops 'er off with her uncrontrollable Insecurities! Sorted things about this afternoon ad "only" counted 107 die sets. From the hip,can only think of (1) receiver that's on it's 6th spout. Haven't put a new rifle together since day before last,but have a couple to work on this evening. Hint.

Pardon well thunked wares that exist ladies,but fortunately for you CLUELESS Kchunts,Imagination nd Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute. Hint.

I guess as usual your attention to detail rivals your height!

You missed the word "YOUR" in the title.

One man's trash-----like you are to me

is another man's treasure------like you are to your boyfriend.

Carry on Travelocity gnome.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
Stick provides endless entertainment for the great unwashed.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

[Linked Image]
I seen a 308 in a gun shop with the same stock sit for 3 years finally I decided to buy it but it was gone🙄

People seem to love them or hate them. The 300WM is a factory rifle. The 30-06 in the middle came to me used with a laminate stock. Lightened it up with a take-off Zytel stock. The 338WM on the right was put together from parts - a naked action, a Zytel stock purchased separately and a take-off barrel that a previous owner had fluted and chopped to 22". Got that barrel from Cariboujack here on the 'fire. He had purchased it from the original owner after the fluting didn't result in as light a barrel as desired. Added a different recoil pad to that one as its light weight adds to recoil. All are good to carry, though, and the stocks are pretty indestructible. The 300 came with walnut inlays and I swapped them out for synthetic - afraid the walnut would crack and be hard to replace.
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22
I look forward to Big Sticks posts!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/23/22

It's kinda like getting a Slinkey for Christmas. You play with it for a while, then it gets boring real fast and you put it away only to get it out later and play with it a bit more.

That little slinkey isn't even tall enough to look in the window of his own Tacoma.
Posted By: OGB Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/24/22
If I had Shrap's collection I'd sell it and buy a Tikka............

.........and Wyoming!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/24/22

Those would be really nice with a bronze cerakote. Who makes a carbon fiber stock for them? ...grin...

Sweet rifles with an interesting history.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22
I don't really have a "grail gun" that I'm looking for right now. I would like to find a Marlin Marauder in 30/30 to go with this one in 35 Remington that I lucked into a few years ago. Hopefully that will happen before long, but it's not something I would consider a "Grail Gun".

This little Mexican Mauser, in 7X57, is a rifle I looked long and hard for. When I found it you could barely see through the barrel and the stock had some real design/execution problems that a great gunsmith, with a good eye, had to straighten out. With a new Pac Nor barrel it has exceed my expectations and has remained a favorite. It has kind of killed any desire for a new rifle, so I guess it meets the qualifications of a "Grail Gun"...

Posted By: irfubar Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by Brad

It's not surprising in your narcissism you completely miss the fact that a SAAMI 308 Win chamber is throated for 180 gr RN bullets. In my 308's the 165 NAB touch the lands at 2.925", and 2.950" respectively, but have 2.820" magazines. Not very handy for "kissing" the lands, unless I want rifles with magazines used as single shots. But then I don't spray paint my rifles insane colors like a mentally ill tagger while simultaneously bragging about it - Hint: Google "Paint Tagger."

What? crazy talk....
The holy grail.... in clown world..... lmfao

Posted By: irfubar Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by SuperCub

It's kinda like getting a Slinkey for Christmas. You play with it for a while, then it gets boring real fast and you put it away only to get it out later and play with it a bit more.

That little slinkey isn't even tall enough to look in the window of his own Tacoma.

What? more crazy talk..... lmfao

Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22
I’ve got more than I need, but I wouldn’t mind adding another 84m Classic Select
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by SuperCub

What? more crazy talk..... lmfao

Posted By: luv2safari Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22

This works too....

As much as I love beautiful walnut I love beautiful fine line checkering even more, fortunately they usually go hand in hand. I have a few good working man’s doubles but doubt if I’ll ever own anything that nice.

There’s something special about cruising two tracks with bird dogs on cool days when the trees are changing, chasing grouse. Apple cider or coffee with cheese, crackers and summer sausage for lunch on the bed of the truck.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I LOVE THAT PHOTO!
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/25/22
Browning Safari one a bolt action in a 24" 264 Win Mag and another in a Belgium made BAR 243.

A 1976 (or thereabouts) Sako Safari in .375 H&H

A Winchester Model 100 308 Carbine "that was a proven MOA shooter, and 100% reliable"! ha
Posted By: weagle Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/30/22
Originally Posted by Hook
Don't know about holy grails....but these two will do me for what time I have left.

Brno 22F in 7X57:

1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer:

Love the Brno 22F. My 8x57 is one of my "never sell" rifles along with my 99 in .358 win.

Posted By: blairvt Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/30/22
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Guess I’m lucky, have owned a dozen or so pre64 Fwts over the years, not a single one had typical cracks in the stock.

I have 2 now. No cracks.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/30/22
Originally Posted by PennDog
Kurz Mauser in .250-3000 is my Holy Grail of hunting rifles…….but that’s just me.😁

PennDog
nice. I've only seen pics of those
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
Pre 64 300 H&H in 95% condition (good luck) would be one that I would like. I have most of what I want or need so I am very lucky in that regard. I am gonna get a bunch from my dad when he goes so I am really not looking for a grail.
Posted By: WAM Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
A Win pre-64 M70 in .300 H&H might be a candidate. All the other Grails reside in my collection. Choose wisely.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
Originally Posted by WAM
A Win pre-64 M70 in .300 H&H might be a candidate. All the other Grails reside in my collection. Choose wisely.

That's about it. If they are not a "holy grail", why have them? They should all shoot good, look good and perform impeccably well. If not, send the sob's down the road.. All of mine fit those categories. A "holy grail" collection if you will.
Posted By: chamois Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
I guess I am a K95 guy...

My last acquisition is one of their new Classics in 6,5x57R with which I just completed and Altai Ibex hunt in Mongolia.

Posted By: handwerk Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
wow, great looking group of 95's! What cartridge(s) are the others chambered in?
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
Beautiful Ibex
Posted By: chamois Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
HW,

From furthest to closest: .270WCF, 7x57R with an interchangeable barrel in 6XC, 7x65R, 6,5x57R and 1:8" 22-250.

And I have a 1:8" 5,6x50R on its way.

H,

Thank You!
Posted By: OGB Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
chamois, I'm generally a "guns are nice tools" guy, but my gosh! That is some old world class.

Beautiful Ibex too, bet that was an adventure.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
I've long wanted a Remington Model 725 in 280 Remington.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I've long wanted a Remington Model 725 in 280 Remington.

Always have wanted one of those
Posted By: pacecars Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
I have knocked out a few grail gun pistols but no rifles other than my Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional .40-06 with a Kahles 6x42 scope with #4 reticle it is just about the perfect one gun for the USA. I didn’t even realize it was a grail gun but when I came across it I realized it was definitely my grail gun and one I had to have. A Shiloh Sharps .40-70
Posted By: Westman Re: Your Holy Grail? - 08/31/22
Mine would be an Al Biesen in 7X57.....
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by Westman
Mine would be an Al Biesen in 7X57.....

Had a Biesen, beautiful workmanship
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have knocked out a few grail gun pistols but no rifles other than my Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional .40-06 with a Kahles 6x42 scope with #4 reticle it is just about the perfect one gun for the USA. I didn’t even realize it was a grail gun but when I came across it I realized it was definitely my grail gun and one I had to have. A Shiloh Sharps .40-70

Nice Pacecars! That’s the new one?
Posted By: RGK Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
Any C-grade 700 Remington left-hand; an older one from the 70's or early 80's would be nice. The left-handed part makes them VERY hard to locate.
Bob
Posted By: szihn Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
Yeah I have just about all the rifles I ever wanted but 2. I would have liked a 9.3X74R double rifle of good quality and a Ruger 44 Mag Auto or M96 lever action. Neither drives me much however. I have rifles to fill all the tasks I could want to do with them and my age makes me want those 2 much les today then I did about 20 years ago. If I were gifted with them I understand my limitations with aging eyes and so the double is not as useful today as it may have been when i was younger. The 44 is more likely to get used by me because I am only 5 minutes from prime river bottom land full of whitetails. But I have several rifles that will do all the 44 would do and probably do it better, but I just always likes the Ruger 44 carbines and I never got one. The old original, the Newer Deerfield" (like an overgrown Mini14) and the lever action M96. I'd be happy any any of the 3
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
I had one of the 96/44s for a while, and it was a fairly inaccurate little shoulder hammer. Never fired a 44 Mag rifle before or since that kicked like that.

The action was smooth as butter and carried like a dream, though. The lever throw is also short enough I could run the action without taking my thumb off the stock wrist. I just never could get it to shoot very well despite a lot of load fiddling, so I traded it off after a few years.
Posted By: Centurion75 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22

I honestly can't even tell if your posts are in English.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
This one is even promoted as the holy grail!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/945651869
Posted By: pacecars Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by pacecars

Nice Pacecars! That’s the new one?

Yep!
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/01/22
Echol's Legend in 375 H&H

Not sure if I'll ever justify the cost as I'm pretty well covered across the board, including two 375's, both of which have been to Africa. Probably just hunt more and use money for trophy fees and tags.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/02/22
Can't say It's a "holy grail", but one that I wanted. Ruger No.1B, 257 Roberts, nice wood.

It could shoot as well. One, 110 NAB @ 386 yards.

I enjoyed it for many years. A good friend is enjoying it these days. He lets me shoot it now and then.
cry
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/02/22
This one counts as mine, "at the moment" 99 Savage Crescent grade. 22HP

Posted By: Westman Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/02/22
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I don't know poop about 99's but that is really nice looking!!!
Posted By: horse1 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/02/22
Mine wouldn't be a rifle, it'd be a shotgun. A Parker Reproduction 28" 20ga or 28Ga. Had a beauty of a 28 @ the Scheels I worked during college, couldn't afford it then, haven't come across the right gun and the right amount of $$ @ the same time since.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/02/22

Thank you.

Posted By: Sabretooth Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/03/22
I have two: 7x57 Mauser and 280 REM...
Posted By: ChanceD Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/04/22

Here's mine....
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/04/22

Thank you.

Don’t know much about 99’s, but I have a few, nothing like that piece of art.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22
Model 54 in 30/30, or Model 30S in 30 Remington...or BOTH.
Posted By: johnn Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22

Its a fine gun, I have a Sako FN in a 300 H&H, on permanent loan from a brother that figured I should have it when I moved to Alaska 40+ years ago. Its been drug all over the state and has some well earned honest wear. Topped with a B&L on a Kuharsky base, it seldoms misses.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22

Thank you.

Don’t know much about 99’s, but I have a few, nothing like that piece of art.

Trust me. I never in my wildest dreams I ever thought I would even have the opportunity to own one the likes of this, but when the opportunity knocked things were such that I couldn't let it go.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22
I have about all the hunting rifles I will ever have use for. But in terms of Holy Grail hunting rifles (the subject of this thread?) there remains one, a Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1952. Please let it be a full-stock with double set triggers, in .257 Roberts. Actually, I had one many years ago and sold it when pulling together a house down payment, so this one would slot into the "correcting a stupid mistake" category too.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22
Feels like I have had the Holy Grail many time. Go to LGS see something, say “oooohhhh THAT is the one”. Buy it, eventually trade or sell it. Done it many time. At my age its been thinning the heard a bit lately
Posted By: geedubya Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22
Found and acquired......

120 year Jubilee, Merkel K4 Damaszener, #83 of 120.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22
Beautiful GWB
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by geedubya
Found and acquired......

120 year Jubilee, Merkel K4 Damaszener, #83 of 120.

ya!

GWB

Beautiful would not be saying enough. Congratulations.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/06/22
Sold a 700 KS custom shop 280 for way to cheap a few years back. Had the mcmillon stock and stainless. Wish I had it back.

Bb
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/06/22
Not exactly a holy grail gun, but I found a very nice 1948 Remington 141 Gamemaster in 35 Remington on the weekend at a gun show.

VG condition, all original, finish included, no cracks, no extra holes, etc, etc, etc. Very happy with this find. I had one similar yrs ago and sold it with immediate regret.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
GWB,

Very nice Merkel. Tapered octagon bbl. Very attractive.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
gnoahhh,

I have that MS , that you describe . .257 Mannlicher stocked rifle . No DS triggers , which I don't prefer.

Paid $400.00 for it when I could not really afford it .... 50 years ago.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
GW
Every time you post stuff like that I kinda hate you a little more. Simply amazing. Did I miss the caliber?
GreggH
Posted By: jc189 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
GWB, absolutely stunning.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
Winchester 1873 1of 100 44 WCF.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by GreggH
GW
Every time you post stuff like that I kinda hate you a little more. Simply amazing. Did I miss the caliber?
GreggH

My bad,

It is chambered for the 30-06 Springfield cartridge.and regulated for the 180 Gr. Norma Oryx (2,700 FPS MV).

I've loaded up some180 gr. Nosler Partition Spitzers and the 180 Gr. Sierra Pro Hunter flat base Sptizers over 55.7 Gr. RL-22. Should just about duplicate the Norma loads.

Gonna try the Partitions @ .010 off lands (3.300" OAL) and the Sierras @ .015 off (3.255" OAL)

ya!

GWB
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
My latest…

Posted By: Slope77 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
Winchester Model 70 Custom African Express in 416 Ram Mag. They had SuperGrade+ wood, extended/drop magazine, etc, etc.

And some primers.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/07/22
My latest…

Wow, where do you guys come up with these gems. The condition of that rifle for its age is outstanding.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
Woot!

Hint..............
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
yawn
SuperKchunt,

At least now you can say you've "seen" one,which makes this a VERY Big Day for you and your ilk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Google as you MUST. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
I can't wait to see it painted pink, bbl cut off with a recip. saw and tossed in the brook.

Do it. Post pics. You need the attention.

Hint ....
SuperKchunt,

GREAT time for you to quantify how VERY often you think about me and the durations of same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Don't "forget" that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you set mired "living" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Only you, with the mentality of a weed wacker would think that I would be thinking of you often.

Guess again.
SuperKchunt,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST and I enjoy how "real" it is to you...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Thanks for that pic.

I didn't know I cared. <yawn>
Since you're showing off your "wares", check out this little gem I picked up last weekend.

Feast your eyes ........

SuperKchunt,

Your Drooling Brokedicktitude is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I know how you set riveted,eagerly awaiting my Mail to open. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
I have 6 boxes of Remington 200gr RN CoreLokt ammo coming in 35Remington.

Is that cool or what?
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
SuperKchunt,

Your Drooling Brokedicktitude is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I know how you set riveted,eagerly awaiting my Mail to open. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

6 kreedmire?
I'm thinking it is chambered such and that .620 BC's at 3100fps don't suck. Hint...............

Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
Hell ya.

What's your take on the stock?
Posted By: memtb Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
Woot!

Hint..............

That must’ve been a badly stuck case, to twist the bolt like that trying to eject it! I’m surprised the bolt handle didn’t break off! 😉 memtb
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Hell ya.

What's your take on the stock?

It sucks
The rifle is rather Skookum,mechanically. Hint.

As Havak's go,McMillan is THE pick of the litter. Hint.

(5) 8x40's and a integral recoil lug on the rail,do not suck. Hint.

Bedding,pillars and integral recoil lug,meld perfectly. Hint.

The side bolt release is beyond positive and rather robust. Hint.

Just sayin'. Hint...............
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/08/22
Mine is my old Model 70, pre 64, .06 that was my FIL's. I had to put another barrel on it, ( Cheap from GunParts Inc). Made a new stock for. An old Weaver V-7set on it for many years until a friend gave me a Leupold 2.8-8 for taking him elk hunting.

I have taken many elk with it. Beat up stock now, scabbard wear on barrel,scope, and stock, but it holds it's zero thru it all. Two other rifles sit in the safe mostly. A Model 88 in.308 and a 6.5 Swede that at times gets used for pronghorn and deer.

I do have one SS and plastic. A 50Cal TC Impact ML .It killed elk a just a swell.

Everything else is blue and wood. Mostly because I stopped buying rifles when SS was introduced. I didn't need or want anything else.
In fairness,the trigger happily dipped below 2#,which is fair to middlin' for me. I'll let it ride,though I'm sweet on Double-ounce S/S Shilens. Hint.

RPM/throat geometry/COAL jive nicely and are rather forgiving. .620 BC 112's Smooch at 2.900",which leaves miles in binderless AICS mags,to chase lands. MagPul's if only as per always,are hilariously inept. Hint.

Would be a nice 8" RPM 7-08 platform,for 180's,given like thunkage. Too bad that the McMillan handles are no longer. Hint...................
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/09/22
... Too bad that the McMillan handles are no longer. Hint...................

Yep. I've not handled the latest version's stock for the Havak but have for the Element....if it's the same material, it was a step backwards. It's solid, stiff, and has good ergo's but it's not what the previous was.

Seekins did a lot of things right on the Havak. I've thought HARD about picking one up in 6.5 PRC. If they hadn't switched the stock I probably would have already.

Their bottom metal design for the short actions was really, really smart with the removable spacer for the PRC. Making a mag to fit the round, even if it's a proprietary mag, was great. Nice to see a company think about things and put it into practice.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/09/22
Glen to his GREAT credit,actually fhuqking shoots. Hint.

He does a LOT of things,really fhuqking right. Hint.....................
Posted By: fshaw Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/09/22

Extraordinary rifle. Congratulations.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Your Holy Grail? - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by fshaw

Extraordinary rifle. Congratulations.

Thank you.