Home
Ordered it back in October and just got it and got it all fitted up. On a 700 in 270. What do you guys recommend for painting? Got new bottom metal as well so the entire barrelled action and bottom metal will be getting a paint job as well.

Attached picture 39616C38-87B5-4FE7-96D8-08B4385BC9EE.jpeg
Here are a coupe I have done using Krylon, including a webbing coat. The Winchester is over Brownells spray grit. Not sure they sell it any longer. Cleared sprayed over paint
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Weatherby is factory paint
I believe there is a product Sherwin Williams has a product that one of the aftermarket stock companies use.
I have a buddy who bought it but not sure he has used it. It used to be about $60 a gallon( from memory so tfiw)
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Here are a coupe I have done using Krylon, including a webbing coat. The Winchester is over Brownells spray grit. Not sure they sell it any longer. Cleared sprayed over paint
Weatherby is factory paint
I believe there is a product Sherwin Williams has a product that one of the aftermarket stock companies use.
I have a buddy who bought it but not sure he has used it. It used to be about $60 a gallon( from memory so tfiw)

Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful. And I love the idea of going the DIY route. Those look sharp.
How is the finish on your stock? Need much fill before paint? I have been thinking about one for my Win Fwt
Easy button is a flexible primer out of a spray can followed by a couple coats of NAPA rattle can bed liner sprayed in short bursts from 4-6’ away. Gives a very grippy finish that’s fairly durable and cheap to repair. For color other than black I would often spray a coat of flat Krylon over the bed liner in the color of choice. After color another very light layer of bed liner can be applied for a speckled finish if desired.

Masking will take longer than the paint job with this method. Materials will be around $20.
Originally Posted by 338reddog
How is the finish on your stock? Need much fill before paint? I have been thinking about one for my Win Fwt

Not too bad I think I can get it knocked out fairly quick. Mostly just finish. I will try to post a final analysis and report once I get it all done.
Posted By: RinB Re: Painting my new Bansner Stock - 02/15/23
Ship it back to Bansner. I believe they will paint it.
Originally Posted by RinB
Ship it back to Bansner. I believe they will paint it.

I didn’t realize that was an option. I will call them tomorrow. They have been easy to work with.
I've used Duracoat, Krylon, and Aluma-hyde.

Duracoat seemed to be the most durable but is also the most expensive and requires the most setup/prep/cleanup. It's a 2 part urethan, air cured finish. I used a hvlp spray gun for it. The hvlp spray gun with an air compressor, inline filter, a dehumidified room, and homemade spray both using a free bathroom exhaust fan gives a very nice spray and the ability to vary pressure/spray to create patterns. Lots of colors to choose from and you can mix colors to get exactly what you want. There's a learning curve and a fair bit of prep.

Krylon was the easiest and cheapest. It was also by far the least durable I've used.

Aluma-hyde has been a really good middle ground. Very durable, but I believe it's less durable than duracoat, though I'm not sure it's much of a difference. More expensive than Krylon but MUCH less expensive than Duracoat. A bit more setup/prep than Krylon but MUCH less than Duracoat. Biggest issues with Aluma-hyde have been making sure you get extra spray and cleanup nozzles and making sure you empty it by spraying upside down after/while using. It will clog up nozzles quickly. Determining exactly what the color is going to look like is tougher with Aluma-hyde as the palate of colors is tough to really see.

I've got a Bansner to add a pad to, paint, fit, and bed that I need to get started on. The last one I did I used Aluma-hyde. I'll be using Aluma-hyde with this one as well.
Thanks, JCM!
I rattle can stocks but the stuff doesn't hold up nearly as well on metal. I just used Gunkote on a couple of barreled actions, oven cure not air dry. From what I've seen so far, I'd say it is a much better way to go.
Here's the last stock I painted:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gunkote:

Ship it back to Bansner , once I finish mine off that is where it is heading.
I’m also just finishing up a Bansner stock. I was in touch with them about a week ago and they quoted me $230 for a tri-color paint job. Just figured I’d throw it out there if anyone was looking for pricing.
After having him do two stocks for me, I'd say ship it to Johnboy.
Originally Posted by mikestaten
I’m also just finishing up a Bansner stock. I was in touch with them about a week ago and they quoted me $230 for a tri-color paint job. Just figured I’d throw it out there if anyone was looking for pricing.
I’m not sure if that includes return shipping but anymore it’s $100 roundtrip shipping; at least for the AK folks.
© 24hourcampfire