Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ordered it back in October and just got it and got it all fitted up. On a 700 in 270. What do you guys recommend for painting? Got new bottom metal as well so the entire barrelled action and bottom metal will be getting a paint job as well.

Attached Images
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are a coupe I have done using Krylon, including a webbing coat. The Winchester is over Brownells spray grit. Not sure they sell it any longer. Cleared sprayed over paint
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Weatherby is factory paint
I believe there is a product Sherwin Williams has a product that one of the aftermarket stock companies use.
I have a buddy who bought it but not sure he has used it. It used to be about $60 a gallon( from memory so tfiw)

Last edited by 338reddog; 02/14/23.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Here are a coupe I have done using Krylon, including a webbing coat. The Winchester is over Brownells spray grit. Not sure they sell it any longer. Cleared sprayed over paint
Weatherby is factory paint
I believe there is a product Sherwin Williams has a product that one of the aftermarket stock companies use.
I have a buddy who bought it but not sure he has used it. It used to be about $60 a gallon( from memory so tfiw)

Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful. And I love the idea of going the DIY route. Those look sharp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How is the finish on your stock? Need much fill before paint? I have been thinking about one for my Win Fwt

Last edited by 338reddog; 02/14/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Easy button is a flexible primer out of a spray can followed by a couple coats of NAPA rattle can bed liner sprayed in short bursts from 4-6’ away. Gives a very grippy finish that’s fairly durable and cheap to repair. For color other than black I would often spray a coat of flat Krylon over the bed liner in the color of choice. After color another very light layer of bed liner can be applied for a speckled finish if desired.

Masking will take longer than the paint job with this method. Materials will be around $20.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 338reddog
How is the finish on your stock? Need much fill before paint? I have been thinking about one for my Win Fwt

Not too bad I think I can get it knocked out fairly quick. Mostly just finish. I will try to post a final analysis and report once I get it all done.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ship it back to Bansner. I believe they will paint it.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RinB
Ship it back to Bansner. I believe they will paint it.

I didn’t realize that was an option. I will call them tomorrow. They have been easy to work with.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used Duracoat, Krylon, and Aluma-hyde.

Duracoat seemed to be the most durable but is also the most expensive and requires the most setup/prep/cleanup. It's a 2 part urethan, air cured finish. I used a hvlp spray gun for it. The hvlp spray gun with an air compressor, inline filter, a dehumidified room, and homemade spray both using a free bathroom exhaust fan gives a very nice spray and the ability to vary pressure/spray to create patterns. Lots of colors to choose from and you can mix colors to get exactly what you want. There's a learning curve and a fair bit of prep.

Krylon was the easiest and cheapest. It was also by far the least durable I've used.

Aluma-hyde has been a really good middle ground. Very durable, but I believe it's less durable than duracoat, though I'm not sure it's much of a difference. More expensive than Krylon but MUCH less expensive than Duracoat. A bit more setup/prep than Krylon but MUCH less than Duracoat. Biggest issues with Aluma-hyde have been making sure you get extra spray and cleanup nozzles and making sure you empty it by spraying upside down after/while using. It will clog up nozzles quickly. Determining exactly what the color is going to look like is tougher with Aluma-hyde as the palate of colors is tough to really see.

I've got a Bansner to add a pad to, paint, fit, and bed that I need to get started on. The last one I did I used Aluma-hyde. I'll be using Aluma-hyde with this one as well.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, JCM!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I rattle can stocks but the stuff doesn't hold up nearly as well on metal. I just used Gunkote on a couple of barreled actions, oven cure not air dry. From what I've seen so far, I'd say it is a much better way to go.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's the last stock I painted:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gunkote:

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ship it back to Bansner , once I finish mine off that is where it is heading.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m also just finishing up a Bansner stock. I was in touch with them about a week ago and they quoted me $230 for a tri-color paint job. Just figured I’d throw it out there if anyone was looking for pricing.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
After having him do two stocks for me, I'd say ship it to Johnboy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mikestaten
I’m also just finishing up a Bansner stock. I was in touch with them about a week ago and they quoted me $230 for a tri-color paint job. Just figured I’d throw it out there if anyone was looking for pricing.
I’m not sure if that includes return shipping but anymore it’s $100 roundtrip shipping; at least for the AK folks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,283
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.