Home
Posted By: SDHNTR Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/10/23
Wow, what a rattletrap! Can’t stand this. Do I have it misadjusted somehow? Or do they all do this?
Take a deep breath and slow your roll. Hint.

Cite ALL particulars: stock,receiver,contour,chambering(s) and mag(s) used. Pics never don't not help. Hint.

Grab these frames and replicate with your platform and The Cure is seconds away. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This schit is EASY,if you allow it to be. Hint...............
As pic shows, put a round in it and insert.
The view from the stern,will grant a gawk to feed/function functionality and rattletitude. Hint.

I'm thinking that mag wasn't packaged,as configured. Hint...............(grin)
Hawkins Hunter DBM is made with a fair bit of "slop"...more than any other M5 bm I've used. So much so that their AICS flush fit .223 mags will work ONLY with Hawkins Hunter DBM...which I was a little pissed about when I found out. At least I had a couple of their DBM's I could switch around.

At any rate, the rattle from that slop disappears when there is a round in the mag to provide a bit of upward pressure.
I set my DBM's up POSITIVE and more than a few of my pards,cuss same. Rattlin' don't interest me,other than on purpose and POSITIVE retention,precludes a mag being kicked out on accident. My schit is silent and tight,less a single round being in the mag proper. Hint.

The "flukes" are none. Hint..............(grin)
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/10/23
It’s better with a round in the mag, but still rattles some. More than it should. I don’t want it rattling at all.
Simply cite the above particulars and cut to the fhuqking chase. Hint...............
Impact NBK. TS Customs stock. Hawkins hunter DBM with Hawkins mag. 6.5 Creed.
Pics,as above. Hint............
I don’t/can’t do pics on this archaic site. No big, I’ll call Hawkins on Monday.
Posted By: Holston Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/10/23
I’ll play…

Function is fine, but mags are pretty sloppy in my Hawkins. APA is snug.

MCMillan Classic, Bart #3, .22 Creed, Accurate mags.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Edit to add: mine is fine while loaded, so I don’t sweat it. Might help others out though.
Can't see where the bolt's nose,is riding in relation to the casehead,but the geometry pictured makes me think pretty low. I want the bottom of the nose,scooping at least primer deep on the initial strip. Hint.

On your's,a simple mag latch extension,will get you there. I've welded 'em and fabbed new both. This assuming your DBM is flush with the stock line. I'm happy to bed a receiver deeper in the inlet too,but your's doesn't look that bad up top. I'm happiest,when the mag is physicaly pinned/captured to the receiver bottom.Hint..................
Posted By: Holston Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/10/23

100% feed and function, so far.

Bumped the R26 .5 grains and shot a group today. I’ll load the lot and call this one good.

I like my caseheads riding higher. With the mag full and bolt closed,how much can you leverage the magazine,towards the receiver's underside? Hint.

I hear good thangs. Hint...............(grin)
Originally Posted by Holston

Bumped the R26 .5 grains and shot a group today. I’ll load the lot and call this one good.

Looks familiar!! 😁
Ridin' tall and impossible to rattle,with lips touching receiver. Hint.

Just sayin'.................(grin)
Posted By: Holston Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/11/23
Originally Posted by Shooter71

Looks familiar!! 😁

It should.

Probably the most consistent rifle I’ve owned.
Posted By: SKane Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/11/23
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I don’t/can’t do pics on this archaic site. No big, I’ll call Hawkins on Monday.

Mine rattle too (Hawkins Flush Hunter mags). Fill the mag, no mo' rattle - at least in/on my rifles.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/11/23
I get that, put bullets in it, but it still bothers me. I own dozens of rifles. None of them rattle. Ever. Imo, nothing on a rifle should rattle. To me, rattling means worn or poorly made, sloppy parts. Am I wrong here? I find it hard to believe that a company known for quality like Hawkins produces parts that knowingly rattle. Guess I’m in the minority as most seem to find it acceptable.
The Cure is/was plainly spelled out,unless you think you can Whine it away. Hint...........
Posted By: SKane Re: Hawkins Hunter DBM rattle? - 06/11/23
I get that, put bullets in it, but it still bothers me. I own dozens of rifles. None of them rattle. Ever. Imo, nothing on a rifle should rattle. To me, rattling means worn or poorly made, sloppy parts. Am I wrong here? I find it hard to believe that a company known for quality like Hawkins produces parts that knowingly rattle. Guess I’m in the minority as most seem to find it acceptable.

I expect it to cycle and feed like greased sausages and be silent in the field - that it does.
How it sounds when taking it out of the safe is of no consequence to me. laugh
I should load some video of my AICS DBM schit locking up on empty mags. Going GrandBabying around,looking for Baby Deers,but perhaps this afternoon. Hint..................
Is there anything better than Hawkins as after market?

Otherwise factory Browning, Sauer Sako, Tikka for dbms that do not rattle
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Cure is/was plainly spelled out,unless you think you can Whine it away. Hint...........
Ha! Nothing you ever post is plainly spelled out.
Originally Posted by SKane

I expect it to cycle and feed like greased sausages and be silent in the field - that it does.
How it sounds when taking it out of the safe is of no consequence to me. laugh
It does the former. I just don’t understand why it is seemingly designed to rattle. I have other DBM’s that don’t, and still feed like grease.
Originally Posted by k80titus
Is there anything better than Hawkins as after market?

Otherwise factory Browning, Sauer Sako, Tikka for dbms that do not rattle

APA is the best I’ve used, as far as fit/finish. Feels a step above in quality.

Haven’t seen a single issue with Hawkins, Greyboe, PTG, or Atlas that wasn’t a very simple fix though.

Feed function has been 100% with any AICS style I’ve used. Changed my mind on DBM, I used to hate it.

My money’s on the fix being right there.

My money’s on the fix being right there.
Yeah, I got that part. That was relatively easy to decipher Stickese. Bend the lips of the mag up. So it presses snug against the underside of the receiver. I haven’t tinkered with it again. I imagine that will take some subsequent adjustment of the release catch too?
Hercules slipped in all SEAL Team 7,wearing a disguise,grazin' alongside...for the Stealth Victory. He's Ninja-er than fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Hercules slipped in all SEAL Team 7,wearing a disguise,grazin' alongside...for the Stealth Victory. He's Ninja-er than fhuqk. Hint.

Take a picture with that wig on Stick.
Wig?!? Hint.

© 24hourcampfire