Home
Happened to come across a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 6.5 Sweedemoor today! Been looking for one of these for quite some time. Price was impossible to say no to.

https://intersurplus.com/products/winchester-70-xtr-in-6-5x55?_pos=1&_sid=72ae19959&_ss=r

Happen to have a 1" Pachmayr "Old English" here for it. Brown. Red or Black would be cooler but its already here. And the folding rear sight on pedestal for XTRs.

Will post some pictures when it shows up! Thinking a Trijicon Accupoint in QD rings would be a good partner for this setup.
Have the european model with open sights. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Been jealous of you and that rifle for a long time, Sqweeler :P

This is the same one, I think. That shop just got a big importation from Sweden.
This picture proves red is the only way to go on a Winchester.
Nice buy,
Nice! I've caught myself adding stuff to a cart multiple times there and then remembering they can't ship to the US!
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Have the european model with open sights. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That second one down is checkered like my Mod 70 Featherweight. Oh yea, My featherweight is also a 6.5x55! Love it! Only bolt action Winchester I ever hunted with.
Second one down is XTR Featherweight 25-06....Third 250 Savage Lightweight
Damn good score!
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Nice! I've caught myself adding stuff to a cart multiple times there and then remembering they can't ship to the US!
Doh!

Nice find Igloo.
Steal!!
Nice! Brown is my favorite pad, will look nice. More distinguished than black, not as gaudy as red.
Thanks all! Sorry for the link that doesn't work stateside frown

TomM1, kinda think the brown is a bit more pleasant to my eyes too, even if not particularly original.

Hope its twisted fast enough for the 140gr ECX. Its a long bullet.
You done good, nice rifles!
Damn you stole that. Good on ya!
IIRC, Winchester/USRA made that run of 70 XTR Featherweights and 70 XTR Sporters with open sights for the European market in 1986. A little later, sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s, the made some non-cataloged 70 Rangers with the same style of open sights as the 70 XTR Sporters. The 70 XTR Featherweights had their rear sight mounted in a barrel dovetail due to the lower comb height of their stocks.

I took a 70 XTR Featherweight to Botswana in 1988 and shot most of my game with 156 grain Norma factory loads.
Nice rifle at a very nice price ! In my opinion that Swedish CG/63 match rifle with GF rear diopter is also a great buy...
Nice pickup. Look forward to seeing it all cleaned up. The bolt handle still has blue and the bolt jeweling gives evidence of little use. The wood is also way above average.
Its here! Time to get a pad installed and get it properly bedded. Will take some better pictures once I get it outside and into some better lighting.

Does seem to be pretty low mileage...very happy with it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Excellent snag! The XTR Fwt I had was my go-to rifle for about 15 years from, 1986 when I bought it. It was one of the Euro-market (Sweden as I recall) overruns that Winchester (USRA) elected to dump on the American market (again as I recall). When I heard of that from a friend who had connections at USRA I asked my LGS owner/buddy to see if he could snare me one - as we both laughed. A month later he told me to stop by and bring my checkbook because he had a surprise for me. That bugger shot every damned bullet well that I stuffed into it, and I never felt the need to mess with the bedding.

That is one of only a handful of guns I ever sold that I wish to hell I had back. It went away with a bunch of other ones to build up the down payment on some property I bought.
Awwww man...good reason but sorry you had to part with it.

The previous owner free floated this one...receiver has a very tight fit in the stock. Maybe shooting it before bedding is in order.
Great snag! I am betting a dollar you'll like how it shoots. They are twisted right as well for any bullet you wanna put threw it.

Hope it gets a nice red Pachmayr.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great snag! I am betting a dollar you'll like how it shoots. They are twisted right as well for any bullet you wanna put threw it.

Thank you!

Its going to have one it can wear some time eventually. Maybe other colours too. What the heck! For now the pad on hand is brown but it might not be the only one!

This season is coming up fast so probably be shooting it real soon with a slip-on to work up loads and I do hope you're right!

Was going to go with a Vanguard S2 in 6.5 CM but...meh lol.

I'm a fan of the red pachmayr as well, but I think he likes the brown. The red pachmayrs are hard to find sometimes too. Sweet rifle igloo. Keep us posted on how it shoots!! The 6.5x55 is a classic round that more times than not shoots damn well. Good luck with it!!
I bought my pf m70 featherweight in 6.5x55 in early summer of 89 barely used. Still have it, wears a 3x9 Redfield. I found it was damn hard to beat a 129 gr Hornady SP and h4831 in it for deer..mb
My favorite load was the 129 Hornady + IMR-4831. A pile of deer carcasses testified to its goodness. Coincidentally that's my go-to combo for my current 6.5x55, a Ruger 1A Lipsey's Special.

Funny story: I took the gun out of the box, wiped the bore, and mounted a scope + boresighted it. I spied a groundhog about 200 yards away in the field next to the house and thought "what the hell". I had some ammo for one of my 6.5 Swede Mausers so I threw a cartridge in the chamber and let fly - and splattered the little beast.
Originally Posted by Igloo

Thank you!

Its going to have one it can wear some time eventually. Maybe other colours too. What the heck! For now the pad on hand is brown but it might not be the only one!

This season is coming up fast so probably be shooting it real soon with a slip-on to work up loads and I do hope you're right!

Color choices are tough. Why not cover all the bases with a rainbow colored one? You could win a lot of "interesting" weirdos over...... grin whistle

....or not! (I like the red solid pad idea.)
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Thank you!

Color choices are tough. Why not cover all the bases with a rainbow colored one? You could win a lot of "interesting" weirdos over...... grin whistle

....or not! (I like the red solid pad idea.)

grin grin grin grin
I'll save you time & money.These with 4831SC grin [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Now why didn't I check here first! Just ordered some PPU 156gr semi round nose. They're cheap, at least.
I picked up a Featherweight a few years ago in 6.5x55, my 15yr old has been using it the last couple deer seasons. Even though I am set up to reload, I have enough factory ammo that I may never have to resize a piece of brass. Maybe not even my son, although I do have two other rifles in the Swede.
Now why didn't I check here first! Just ordered some PPU 156gr semi round nose. They're cheap, at least.
Round Nose just look cool in these old calibers
Mine loves Lapua 155gr ammo. The 156 norma made a wonderful pattern akin to a turkey choke.
Happened to come across a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 6.5 Sweedemoor today! Been looking for one of these for quite some time. Price was impossible to say no to.

https://intersurplus.com/products/winchester-70-xtr-in-6-5x55?_pos=1&_sid=72ae19959&_ss=r

Happen to have a 1" Pachmayr "Old English" here for it. Brown. Red or Black would be cooler but its already here. And the folding rear sight on pedestal for XTRs.

Will post some pictures when it shows up! Thinking a Trijicon Accupoint in QD rings would be a good partner for this setup.
Sweet rifle sir, congrats!!
Originally Posted by Redneck

Sweet rifle sir, congrats!!

Thank you sir! Lets just say theres a couple smart fellers around here who talked about the Model 70s and I listened up wink Cant pass up that price.

Originally Posted by micky
Mine loves Lapua 155gr ammo. The 156 norma made a wonderful pattern akin to a turkey choke.

Holy cow, I wonder whats so different between them!
Good question!
Good snag on a great rifle.
I've got one in a Model 70 Featherweight, it came in 30/06, but has been rebarreled by me... The guy who owned it was a former Benchrest Champ back in the 50s and 60s, who was out of California but lived here locally. Ran into Kenny often at our local range. Told me he bought it new, and he had put 4 more barrels on it, in 06 after he wore out the original factory barrel.

I told him I rebarreled it to 6.5 x 55, and he gave his approval. Even wanted to shoot it, and loved the lack of recoil as compared to when it was in 06.

It came with a 6.5 x 20 Leupold on top, a shot out barrel, and a WinTuff Laminate stock. Every time I take it to the range, some one comes over and wants to buy it... just because of the stock alone.

Hope you love yours Igloo, as much as I love the one I ended up with.

Cheers,
seafire
I bought a new Model 70 featherweight in 6.5X55 about 2005. It carried well and shot pretty good, but it would not eject an empty case to save it's life. It went back to USRA once, with no improvement. I then replaced the extractor with a Williams, with no improvement. I sent it down the road. It was a real disappointment as the rifle was a pretty nice piece.

Good luck with yours
Saw one locally last week for $1500. I let them hang on to it.

Old70
© 24hourcampfire