Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Awwww man...good reason but sorry you had to part with it.

The previous owner free floated this one...receiver has a very tight fit in the stock. Maybe shooting it before bedding is in order.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great snag! I am betting a dollar you'll like how it shoots. They are twisted right as well for any bullet you wanna put threw it.

Hope it gets a nice red Pachmayr.

Semper Fi
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great snag! I am betting a dollar you'll like how it shoots. They are twisted right as well for any bullet you wanna put threw it.

Thank you!

Its going to have one it can wear some time eventually. Maybe other colours too. What the heck! For now the pad on hand is brown but it might not be the only one!

This season is coming up fast so probably be shooting it real soon with a slip-on to work up loads and I do hope you're right!

Was going to go with a Vanguard S2 in 6.5 CM but...meh lol.

Last edited by Igloo; 09/20/23.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm a fan of the red pachmayr as well, but I think he likes the brown. The red pachmayrs are hard to find sometimes too. Sweet rifle igloo. Keep us posted on how it shoots!! The 6.5x55 is a classic round that more times than not shoots damn well. Good luck with it!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought my pf m70 featherweight in 6.5x55 in early summer of 89 barely used. Still have it, wears a 3x9 Redfield. I found it was damn hard to beat a 129 gr Hornady SP and h4831 in it for deer..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My favorite load was the 129 Hornady + IMR-4831. A pile of deer carcasses testified to its goodness. Coincidentally that's my go-to combo for my current 6.5x55, a Ruger 1A Lipsey's Special.

Funny story: I took the gun out of the box, wiped the bore, and mounted a scope + boresighted it. I spied a groundhog about 200 yards away in the field next to the house and thought "what the hell". I had some ammo for one of my 6.5 Swede Mausers so I threw a cartridge in the chamber and let fly - and splattered the little beast.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/20/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Igloo

Thank you!

Its going to have one it can wear some time eventually. Maybe other colours too. What the heck! For now the pad on hand is brown but it might not be the only one!

This season is coming up fast so probably be shooting it real soon with a slip-on to work up loads and I do hope you're right!

Color choices are tough. Why not cover all the bases with a rainbow colored one? You could win a lot of "interesting" weirdos over...... grin whistle

....or not! (I like the red solid pad idea.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Thank you!

Color choices are tough. Why not cover all the bases with a rainbow colored one? You could win a lot of "interesting" weirdos over...... grin whistle

....or not! (I like the red solid pad idea.)

grin grin grin grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll save you time & money.These with 4831SC grin [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now why didn't I check here first! Just ordered some PPU 156gr semi round nose. They're cheap, at least.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I picked up a Featherweight a few years ago in 6.5x55, my 15yr old has been using it the last couple deer seasons. Even though I am set up to reload, I have enough factory ammo that I may never have to resize a piece of brass. Maybe not even my son, although I do have two other rifles in the Swede.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Now why didn't I check here first! Just ordered some PPU 156gr semi round nose. They're cheap, at least.
Round Nose just look cool in these old calibers

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mine loves Lapua 155gr ammo. The 156 norma made a wonderful pattern akin to a turkey choke.

“Lighten up Francis”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Happened to come across a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 6.5 Sweedemoor today! Been looking for one of these for quite some time. Price was impossible to say no to.

https://intersurplus.com/products/winchester-70-xtr-in-6-5x55?_pos=1&_sid=72ae19959&_ss=r

Happen to have a 1" Pachmayr "Old English" here for it. Brown. Red or Black would be cooler but its already here. And the folding rear sight on pedestal for XTRs.

Will post some pictures when it shows up! Thinking a Trijicon Accupoint in QD rings would be a good partner for this setup.
Sweet rifle sir, congrats!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Happened to come across a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 6.5 Sweedemoor today! Been looking for one of these for quite some time. Price was impossible to say no to.

https://intersurplus.com/products/winchester-70-xtr-in-6-5x55?_pos=1&_sid=72ae19959&_ss=r

Happen to have a 1" Pachmayr "Old English" here for it. Brown. Red or Black would be cooler but its already here. And the folding rear sight on pedestal for XTRs.

Will post some pictures when it shows up! Thinking a Trijicon Accupoint in QD rings would be a good partner for this setup.
Sweet rifle sir, congrats!!

Thank you sir! Lets just say theres a couple smart fellers around here who talked about the Model 70s and I listened up wink Cant pass up that price.

Originally Posted by micky
Mine loves Lapua 155gr ammo. The 156 norma made a wonderful pattern akin to a turkey choke.

Holy cow, I wonder whats so different between them!

Last edited by Igloo; 09/30/23.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good question!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good snag on a great rifle.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got one in a Model 70 Featherweight, it came in 30/06, but has been rebarreled by me... The guy who owned it was a former Benchrest Champ back in the 50s and 60s, who was out of California but lived here locally. Ran into Kenny often at our local range. Told me he bought it new, and he had put 4 more barrels on it, in 06 after he wore out the original factory barrel.

I told him I rebarreled it to 6.5 x 55, and he gave his approval. Even wanted to shoot it, and loved the lack of recoil as compared to when it was in 06.

It came with a 6.5 x 20 Leupold on top, a shot out barrel, and a WinTuff Laminate stock. Every time I take it to the range, some one comes over and wants to buy it... just because of the stock alone.

Hope you love yours Igloo, as much as I love the one I ended up with.

Cheers,
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a new Model 70 featherweight in 6.5X55 about 2005. It carried well and shot pretty good, but it would not eject an empty case to save it's life. It went back to USRA once, with no improvement. I then replaced the extractor with a Williams, with no improvement. I sent it down the road. It was a real disappointment as the rifle was a pretty nice piece.

Good luck with yours

Regards,

Tom
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Saw one locally last week for $1500. I let them hang on to it.

Old70

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.