Home
Posted By: IA_fog Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Ok guys im getting a 308 bolt either a Tikka compact or a Remington model 7
Both are great guns and i know i cant go wrong with either
Give me some pros or cons to help finish decision. If i had enough money id buy both
Tikka pro - detachable mag
REM 7- holds value , but tikka stay consistent
Thanks
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Just get a Tikka. Better design, less to worry about: positive extraction, and you know it’s going to shoot well. Less hassle working up a load, or finding something that’s going to shoot well in it. Also no jumping through hoops to get it to shoot well. IE: glass bedding, freefloating, trigger work, etc, etc.

What’s funny is you know Tikkas hold their value well, because if I’m not mistaken, you were the guy complaining/asking why even the older Tikkas cost so much. Or, why are guys asking so much for their old Tikkas, or something to that effect. So there’s that.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Unless you get lucky that 308 Tikka will be easier to find and less expensive to buy. The Tikka is ready to go. But if I found a m7 Magnum in 300 saum I'd jump fast because with that you can load down to 308 or at full value magnum. Which is exactly what I do with my m7 7saum. KISS says t3x ss 308 and go to gettnr done. Mb
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
I like the Model 7 but I’d be picking up a Tikka Compact.
Posted By: BooBear Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Tikka for me, best rifle for the buck
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
I'd buy the Tikka as well. I don't own one currently, but I've never seen one not hold at least MOA consistently. I really like the CTR, and have been eyeballing them on a regular basis.

I talked a more than one person looking for a LH rifle into Tikka. Not one has ever regretted the choice. Last one bought a LH Tikka SL in .308 for his daughter to start hunting with. For the last three years she's been stacking up mule deer and elk with that rifle using 125 grain AB. Her dad has been buying Tikka rifles for his own use ever since.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Model 7.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Tikka is the easy button
Posted By: Full3r Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
IA_fog I sent ya a pm with a place I deal with buying tikkas, prices are hard to beat
Posted By: Lampson Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Tikka. Those darn rifles just shoot good!
Posted By: Bugger Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
I have both. I don’t like the detachable magazine. I really like the model seven. Yo me the Tikka is a “truck” gun - don’t care if it gets dented or dirty.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
The Tikka DBM is a Goat Fhuqk. Pop a Sporter in a CTR stock,so you can drive CTR mags and you are in a good place. Go AICS DBM in the Sporter stock and you are likewise fine. The T3 bottom "metal" and mags are absolutely fhuqking schitty. Hint.

Sevens are tough to swoon,because they typically wear schit/heavy stocks and are tougher to eek longer COAL than a 700. It's foolish to deviate from a 700,due logistics. Hint.

Both are going to be Linda Lovelace throated Sluts and the Tikka is an easier solve there. There's nothing redeeming in Teeker milk jug handles,but they are less schitty than a typical Seven's. Hint..............
Posted By: OGB Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Tikka DBM is a Goat Fhuqk. Pop a Sporter in a CTR stock,so you can drive CTR mags and you are in a good place. Go AICS DBM in the Sporter stock and you are likewise fine. The T3 bottom "metal" and mags are absolutely fhuqking schitty. Hint.

Sevens are tough to swoon,because they typically wear schit/heavy stocks and are tougher to eek longer COAL than a 700. It's foolish to deviate from a 700,due logistics. Hint.

Both are going to be Linda Lovelace throated Sluts and the Tikka is an easier solve there. There's nothing redeeming in Teeker milk jug handles,but they are less schitty than a typical Seven's. Hint..............

Careful, that was almost a Tikka endorsement. Haha

Out of curiosity, have you messed around with mountain tactical mags in any Tikkas?
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
My only reserve for the Tikkas is the now Al too common detachable magazine. Just a personal preference, but I’ve seen magazines lost or forgotten on a few occasions. I really don’t understand the DM craze for a hunting rifle. Rapid reloads for a hunting rifle seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Mountain Tac' makes some good stuff,but their mags are fhuqking junk. KEY is to abandon the entire Goat Fhuqk T3 "system" and go either CTR(they are real steel and have the COAL) or defer AICS commonality. I drive both. Hint.

8" Teeker 223 Sporter here,with Mountain Tac' rail,handle,knob and AICS DBM(which they foolishly no longer offer). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Coupla Teeker Sporters,sipping from CTR stocks/bottoms. 223 8" Sporter above,22-250 8" Sporter punched Speedmire below. CTR feed/function is greasy good and they grant 2.600" COAL in 223 and are crowding 3" in 308/Kreed. Hint.

You know Seven's are Dog Schit,when a Teeker looks "good" in comparison. Though you can roll Kiff dice,cross fingers with new McMillan and there are possibilities. Hint.(grin)

If I'm going to stand flat footed and take a COAL hit,it's going to be in something GOOD and pass the Montucky there and hold ALL The Fluff. If I'm going to leave ADL/BDL behind and go DBM,it's gotta be good and the T3's are Goat Fhuqks. Hint..............
Posted By: memtb Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Tikka! memtb
Perhaps a better extrapolation,although OEM CTR's and again in 8" 223,as compared to the above 8" 223 Sporter sipping from AICS in it's issued T3 Sporter handle(easy inlet swap). Hint.

Just sayin'..............
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Custom Remington Seven. All rifles are just starter kits anyway. Tikka's suck aesthetically and ergonomically.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Model 7👍
Pass the Montana and hold The Fluff,while you pardon my simply shooting it all...and then some. Hint.

Not that Brokedicks guessing,isn't funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Just sayin'............
Ever thought about a mod70 featherweight?
Posted By: drover Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Give me some pros or cons to help finish decision. If i had enough money id buy both
Thanks

I have owned and put thousands or rounds through model 7's, 700's and 600's since the early 70's and every one of them required some bedding work, trigger work and load development to shoot as well as my Tikka's have out of the box with nothing done to them.
Tikka's are "plug and play" - mount a scope and start using it with no drama involved.

As far as modificaations to the Tikka - they are mostly done because of a personal thing not because they are necessary to the performance.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
Thanks

I have owned and put thousands or rounds through model 7's, 700's and 600's since the early 70's and every one of them required some bedding work, trigger work and load development to shoot as well as my Tikka's have out of the box with nothing done to them.
Tikka's are "plug and play" - mount a scope and start using it with no drama involved.

As far as modificaations to the Tikka - they are mostly done because of a personal thing not because they are necessary to the performance.

drover

Tikka stocks just plain suck. Not plug and play. So they shoot. So do all of my model sevens.
I've never even seen a Winchester. Hint.............

Model 7 308s suck donkey balls
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by BooBear
Tikka for me, best rifle for the buck

Been saying that for 25 years

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by earlybrd

ESPECIALLY those wearing a fhuqking Loudener and a Reupold. Hint..............
I've never even seen a Winchester. Hint.............

Better safety and extraction than the Remington horde have.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
I'm not a Tikka fan and Remington 7s are butt-heavy with 18.5" and 20" barrels.

Easy solution?

Kimber Hunter.

If you can't kill $hit with 1 in the chamber and 3 in the magazine you need to practice more.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by drover
Thanks

drover

^^^This^^^

The damn things just flat out shoot. Most accurate (out of the box) rifle you buy today. All of mine have shot sub moa with factory ammo off the shelf.

Don’t be jealous😂😂😂
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
They will make a tall Doug Fir wilt with their fugliness, their receivers look like they came out of an extrusion machine, they have a funky recoil lug and they steal their barrels from Daddy (Sako).
Therefore they will shoot.

I don't think I'd ever buy a Model 7. Too far off the beaten track for me.
I go with a M700 SA if I wanted a .308

cool
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24

Lmao. I'm sorry, but that was actually pretty good.

Rem model 7 is a giant loser. Tikka is hands down better, but a 900 dollar plastic waste of money. Put your money in a remy 700, chop it to 18 or 20, thread for can, and grab the aics mags from hawkins, then you'll have something.
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
I vote and shoot Tikka!
Posted By: ihookem Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
I have not seen a Rem. model 7 in years. I can run down the road 10 miles and be home with one in an hour.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
OP,

Don't know if you care,
Model 7s don't lock the bolt with the safety.
Tikka do.

Some folks have a very strong opinion on this, both ways.

Like my M7.

But I've had issues with the bolt opening.

Tikka for me.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/16/24
Someone said “plug and play” with the Tikka

Only mod is throw away the factory rings and get Sportsmatch.

Otherwise, plug and play.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by ihookem
I have not seen a Rem. model 7 in years. I can run down the road 10 miles and be home with one in an hour.
With a tikka?
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
Model 7's in factory Tupperware are terribly balanced.

Throw them I'm a lightweight stock and it's a great compact platform.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
I was leaning tikka to start(have a 25-06 t3) thanks I’ve made my decision to go tikkA
Thanks again
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
Out of the box accuracy the Tikka will be more dependable for sure.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by ihookem
With a tikka?

Yes, I can get a Tikka in several calibers at one store and several other models at a gun shop. I can also get any Tikka I want in about 4days at a smaller shop. I doubt I can get any model or caliber I want in an hour though.. I 'm sure I can get a 6.5 Creed in a few different models sitting on the rack . There is about a dozen different Tikkas at one store on the rack, and a few at the gun store.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
Thanks

Tikka for the win.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/17/24
Tikka every time.

I really don’t understand the DM craze for a hunting rifle. Rapid reloads for a hunting rifle seems like a step in the wrong direction.

It is easier and cheaper to build an accurate and reliable rifle using a detachable magazine than a rifle with an internal magazine. Either a blind mag or with a floor plate. It is possible to make a rifle with a conventional magazine just as accurate, but it complicates the issue and adds cost. That is exactly why we are now seeing budget guns like the Tikka, Ruger American and others offered only with a detachable mag that outshoot rifles costing twice as much.
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/18/24
Not exactly what your looking for but close. Had a SS Rem 700 BDL 308, shot ok. My neighbor was a gunsmith so we decided to go all out. Blueprinted the action, put on a 20" Shilen select match barrel, jewel trigger, bedded it in Grayboe stock. Would shoot sub MOA all day long no matter what I fed it. Was at the range and a guy offered me way more than I had put into it (gun, smithing, parts, etc) so I decided to sell it.

Ended up buying an older T3 308 with the aluminum recoil lug. Swapped lug, trigger spring, limbsaver pad and it out shot that custom build Rem 700 all day every day for about 1/4 of the price. I shot a Browning Abolt II Medallion 7mag for about 30 years until switching to that 308. I liked the DM system of the Browning. Clean floorplate, but a hidden mag inside, instead of a hinged floorplate and dumping all your rounds in the mud or ground. So the Tikka offered that over the Rem as well.

If I did it all over again, knowing what I know now, I choose the Tikka again. You'll want to replace the trigger on the Model 7, just replace spring on Tikka. The only bolt that is slicker than both my Tikka's is my 30+ year old browning. DM is a toss up, either you like them or don't. The stock on the Tikka is actually well made in comparison to some of the other tupperware stocks.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I have the model 7 youth in 260.
I also have a Tikka T3 in .223.

I would buy another Tikka if it were me buying one.
Granted I have the youth model in the model 7, so that might make a difference.
Posted By: JimH Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/18/24
I've owned quite a few of both-currently 3 Remingtons and 8 Tikka's. Definately prefer the Tikkas.
Posted By: timber_nomad Re: Model 7 or tikka - 03/20/24
Just an idea.... grab a Ruger American compact. It won't hold value or give bragging rights, but it'll shoot.
© 24hourcampfire