Home
What a great little round to be chambered in model 7 Has been wanting to find a22 hornet to play around with but I think this combo is going to make a neat little do all varmit plinking rifle
I found a used, laminated Mannlicher stocked version from the Custom Shop on G/broker years ago and it’s one of my favorite rifles. It’s a really handy little rifle and has been very accurate with everything I’ve fed it. The first time I took it out, I used some Remington factory Power Lokts to get on paper and then shot a three shot group of 0.3”. 40 grain Blitzkings and H-322 are what I normally use in it.
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
What a great little round to be chambered in model 7 Has been wanting to find a22 hornet to play around with but I think this combo is going to make a neat little do all varmit plinking rifle

I had one years ago but foolishly let it go thinking I needed a 223 instead.

I've bought and sold many dozens of rifles over the years, but that one is near the top that I regret selling.
I've got one like new in the back of the safe that I've never even fired. Handy little rifle as I remember.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Model 7 in a 222 remington - 03/28/24

great combo.... 222 and the Model 7.

Count yourself as a lucky guy! I would certainly jump on one if I ever came across one... don't think I've ever seen one on a rifle rack, new or used.

If I had one.... I'd use the 70 grain Speer SMP or the 63 grain Sierra SMP.

Would be a nice heavy cover deer round.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Count yourself as a lucky guy! I would certainly jump on one if I ever came across one... don't think I've ever seen one on a rifle rack, new or used.

Most .222s have 14" twist barrels. I would love to see reports of actual experience with the heavier bullets with this slow twist rate, as I have a SAKO Vixen that has been rechambered from .222 to .223. It drives tacks all day with 50-55gr. bullets but I haven't had much luck stabilizing bullets over 55 gr.

I agree your Model 7 should be a dandy little rifle, as I have one in 7mm-08. Mine has a laminated Mannlicher stock from the Remington Custom Shop as well. Like yours, it is not picky about which ammo I feed it, and I haven't found a factory load yet that it won't shoot well.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

I had one years ago but foolishly let it go thinking I needed a 223 instead.

I've bought and sold many dozens of rifles over the years, but that one is near the top that I regret selling.

Would love to see pictures of both rifles, I have a handful of mannlicher rifles but a factory synthetic stock might be the holy grail.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Model 7 in a 222 remington - 04/08/24
GUNBROKER#1043129265
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Model 7 in a 222 remington - 04/08/24
Originally Posted by bearbacker
Originally Posted by Seafire

Most .222s have 14" twist barrels. I would love to see reports of actual experience with the heavier bullets with this slow twist rate, as I have a SAKO Vixen that has been rechambered from .222 to .223. It drives tacks all day with 50-55gr. bullets but I haven't had much luck stabilizing bullets over 55 gr.

I agree your Model 7 should be a dandy little rifle, as I have one in 7mm-08. Mine has a laminated Mannlicher stock from the Remington Custom Shop as well. Like yours, it is not picky about which ammo I feed it, and I haven't found a factory load yet that it won't shoot well.

I used to load the Sierra 63 grain semi-pointed for a “utility” load at a bit over 2000 fps for my 788 in .222. It shot okay, don’t remember the specifics, it was over 40 years ago, just that it shot okay which, for me at that time would have been not much more than an inch at a hundred. Don’t recall any stability problems. I think that bullet is intended for slower twists.
© 24hourcampfire