Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What a great little round to be chambered in model 7 Has been wanting to find a22 hornet to play around with but I think this combo is going to make a neat little do all varmit plinking rifle

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I found a used, laminated Mannlicher stocked version from the Custom Shop on G/broker years ago and it’s one of my favorite rifles. It’s a really handy little rifle and has been very accurate with everything I’ve fed it. The first time I took it out, I used some Remington factory Power Lokts to get on paper and then shot a three shot group of 0.3”. 40 grain Blitzkings and H-322 are what I normally use in it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
What a great little round to be chambered in model 7 Has been wanting to find a22 hornet to play around with but I think this combo is going to make a neat little do all varmit plinking rifle

I had one years ago but foolishly let it go thinking I needed a 223 instead.

I've bought and sold many dozens of rifles over the years, but that one is near the top that I regret selling.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
R
I've got one like new in the back of the safe that I've never even fired. Handy little rifle as I remember.

Rick
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

great combo.... 222 and the Model 7.

Count yourself as a lucky guy! I would certainly jump on one if I ever came across one... don't think I've ever seen one on a rifle rack, new or used.

If I had one.... I'd use the 70 grain Speer SMP or the 63 grain Sierra SMP.

Would be a nice heavy cover deer round.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Count yourself as a lucky guy! I would certainly jump on one if I ever came across one... don't think I've ever seen one on a rifle rack, new or used.

Most .222s have 14" twist barrels. I would love to see reports of actual experience with the heavier bullets with this slow twist rate, as I have a SAKO Vixen that has been rechambered from .222 to .223. It drives tacks all day with 50-55gr. bullets but I haven't had much luck stabilizing bullets over 55 gr.

I agree your Model 7 should be a dandy little rifle, as I have one in 7mm-08. Mine has a laminated Mannlicher stock from the Remington Custom Shop as well. Like yours, it is not picky about which ammo I feed it, and I haven't found a factory load yet that it won't shoot well.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Originally Posted by SuperCub

I had one years ago but foolishly let it go thinking I needed a 223 instead.

I've bought and sold many dozens of rifles over the years, but that one is near the top that I regret selling.

Would love to see pictures of both rifles, I have a handful of mannlicher rifles but a factory synthetic stock might be the holy grail.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
GUNBROKER#1043129265

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bearbacker
Originally Posted by Seafire

Most .222s have 14" twist barrels. I would love to see reports of actual experience with the heavier bullets with this slow twist rate, as I have a SAKO Vixen that has been rechambered from .222 to .223. It drives tacks all day with 50-55gr. bullets but I haven't had much luck stabilizing bullets over 55 gr.

I agree your Model 7 should be a dandy little rifle, as I have one in 7mm-08. Mine has a laminated Mannlicher stock from the Remington Custom Shop as well. Like yours, it is not picky about which ammo I feed it, and I haven't found a factory load yet that it won't shoot well.

I used to load the Sierra 63 grain semi-pointed for a “utility” load at a bit over 2000 fps for my 788 in .222. It shot okay, don’t remember the specifics, it was over 40 years ago, just that it shot okay which, for me at that time would have been not much more than an inch at a hundred. Don’t recall any stability problems. I think that bullet is intended for slower twists.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,346
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.