Home
Posted By: ShadeTree Another Fudd Combo - 03/27/24
Got this rifle about a yr ago. IIRC paid $375 for it. Spent a good bit of time removing some of the bedding that was in it as it was very tight, particularly around the mag area. It shot well after that but was still tight in the barrel channel so recently free floated it back to the forward part of the chamber area.

JC Higgins M51. Told people before it was a M50, have targets I marked as M50, when recently working on it I realized it's a M51. Says so right on the barrel. Duh.

Since free floating it, loaded the tried and true 56 gr's of IMR 4350 with a 180 gr bullet. A Hornady RN loaded @ .085 off. It shot .960. Not bad.

Have an old metal can of IMR 4831 that needs used up so went back today with 56.5 gr's of that loaded at .090 off. Certainly not worse. Shot .830. I'd say this old rifle is ready to go and got a long wait until deer season.

Rifle pic is not from today. Have an old Vari-XII 3-9 on it now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Target from today. I never get tired of working with these older rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/27/24
I am always glad to read about good old school rifles our fathers and grandfathers would have been happy with being "revived" if you will. Another one that is good for a few more generations!
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
I also like finding the older pedestrian bolt actions I grew up with, cleaning them up and making ‘em shoot.

That Higgins is cool…….
Posted By: greydog Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
Those feature the excellent FN action. I have the Canadian variant, which is an Eatons Model 100. I don't think I've ever seen one of the JC Higgins which wouldn't shoot 1 moa or better, after bedding, of course. GD
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I also like finding the older pedestrian bolt actions I grew up with, cleaning them up and making ‘em shoot.

That Higgins is cool…….

You probably know this, but they are a commercial FN action that say "Action-Made In Belgium" on the receiver, but the Sears JC Higgins markings on the barrels keep the prices down some. Good actions and the barrels are chrome lined made by High Standard.

I had a M50 before in 30-06 and a legit FN commercial mauser briefly in 300 WM. This one had the slickest action of the 3 which is what attracted me to it, along with a nicer stock than the other 2.

The trigger kinda sucks on it, but I've shot worse. Not bad creep at all, just a little heavy, but I can make do with it. Great old rifles.
Posted By: paint Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
Hey I like that rifle.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
There is nothing Fudd about that rig. It is classic. My idea of a Fudd setup would be a Remington 742 with see thru rings and a scope with an oversized front bell.
Posted By: Txtrout Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
Nice JCH.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
Nicely done. Beats the hell out of plastic and cerakote...
Posted By: bluefish Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
Very Fuddish
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/28/24
I’ve owned a couple M50s, both ‘06s. Great rifles, and bargains even today. The triggers are a bit odd, being hinged to the guard like a SMLE, but the pulls on mine were actually lighter than the typical single-stage military-style found on other FNs I’ve owned. Those chrome-lined barrels shoot well too, and it’s a mistake I think to swap them out willy-nilly.

Those rifles and some other guns are reminders of a better time when retail chains weren’t run by a bunch of liberal pussies afraid of every whiff of disapproval from the Left. They didn’t just sell guns, they put the company name on them.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/29/24
I like my Model 50. It’s ver accurate
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/29/24
I have a Model 50 and a 51 and both shoot very well. All of my rifles are stainless synthetic except for those two. I use them hunting more than any of the other rifles because that wood and blue fits well and looks good with my 72yo body.
Posted By: okie john Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/29/24
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
The trigger kinda sucks on it, but I've shot worse. Not bad creep at all, just a little heavy, but I can make do with it. Great old rifles.

I love those old rifles.

I've seen some with military triggers and others with triggers pinned to the bottom metal. The military triggers are OK but I replace the others with a Timney right out of the gate.

Okie John
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/30/24
Originally Posted by okie john

I love those old rifles.

I've seen some with military triggers and others with triggers pinned to the bottom metal. The military triggers are OK but I replace the others with a Timney right out of the gate.

Okie John

Yep, pinned to the bottom metal. Getting used to it for now, it's not bad. Shot it again today testing out 150's. Not too hot with those, in limited testing of 2 different loads, 1.5". I know it likes 165's and it did pretty well with those 180's. Might just be way off of what it will like with 150's or it may just not shoot them well, don't know.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/30/24
Very nice. Looks like a pleasure to own and take to the field on adventures.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
There is nothing Fudd about that rig. It is classic. My idea of a Fudd setup would be a Remington 742 with see thru rings and a scope with an oversized front bell.

That’s not Fudd, that’s Bubba.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Another Fudd Combo - 03/31/24
My uncle, a long time Sears employee, had one, a .270.
Posted By: okie john Re: Another Fudd Combo - 04/01/24
Originally Posted by okie john

I love those old rifles.

Okie John

Yep, pinned to the bottom metal. Getting used to it for now, it's not bad. Shot it again today testing out 150's. Not too hot with those, in limited testing of 2 different loads, 1.5". I know it likes 165's and it did pretty well with those 180's. Might just be way off of what it will like with 150's or it may just not shoot them well, don't know.

You can definitely get used to the pinned triggers. I change them because the trigger pull changes when you change the tension on the action screws. The tighter the screws, the heavier the trigger pull.

Okie John
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Another Fudd Combo - 04/04/24
There isn't anything wrong with house brand guns, they function just as well as whatever name brand model they are based on, the finish is often a little less polished and the wood is generally a little lower grade, stained hardwood instead of walnut in many cases.

Marlin sold a lower grade, more basic, selection of their firearms under the Glenfield brand.

Remington did the same with their Mohawk brand that was only sold new through high volume retailers.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Another Fudd Combo - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by bluefish
Very Fuddish

Bluefish asked me to post this picture of a "couple snaps from the gun plumber as he reshapes my M70 stock".

I think BF is working on becoming Fudd of the Year...

Ha! He's on the right track with the right stuff.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire