Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Got this rifle about a yr ago. IIRC paid $375 for it. Spent a good bit of time removing some of the bedding that was in it as it was very tight, particularly around the mag area. It shot well after that but was still tight in the barrel channel so recently free floated it back to the forward part of the chamber area.

JC Higgins M51. Told people before it was a M50, have targets I marked as M50, when recently working on it I realized it's a M51. Says so right on the barrel. Duh.

Since free floating it, loaded the tried and true 56 gr's of IMR 4350 with a 180 gr bullet. A Hornady RN loaded @ .085 off. It shot .960. Not bad.

Have an old metal can of IMR 4831 that needs used up so went back today with 56.5 gr's of that loaded at .090 off. Certainly not worse. Shot .830. I'd say this old rifle is ready to go and got a long wait until deer season.

Rifle pic is not from today. Have an old Vari-XII 3-9 on it now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Target from today. I never get tired of working with these older rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am always glad to read about good old school rifles our fathers and grandfathers would have been happy with being "revived" if you will. Another one that is good for a few more generations!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I also like finding the older pedestrian bolt actions I grew up with, cleaning them up and making ‘em shoot.

That Higgins is cool…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Those feature the excellent FN action. I have the Canadian variant, which is an Eatons Model 100. I don't think I've ever seen one of the JC Higgins which wouldn't shoot 1 moa or better, after bedding, of course. GD

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I also like finding the older pedestrian bolt actions I grew up with, cleaning them up and making ‘em shoot.

That Higgins is cool…….

You probably know this, but they are a commercial FN action that say "Action-Made In Belgium" on the receiver, but the Sears JC Higgins markings on the barrels keep the prices down some. Good actions and the barrels are chrome lined made by High Standard.

I had a M50 before in 30-06 and a legit FN commercial mauser briefly in 300 WM. This one had the slickest action of the 3 which is what attracted me to it, along with a nicer stock than the other 2.

The trigger kinda sucks on it, but I've shot worse. Not bad creep at all, just a little heavy, but I can make do with it. Great old rifles.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hey I like that rifle.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
There is nothing Fudd about that rig. It is classic. My idea of a Fudd setup would be a Remington 742 with see thru rings and a scope with an oversized front bell.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice JCH.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nicely done. Beats the hell out of plastic and cerakote...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very Fuddish

The way life should be.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve owned a couple M50s, both ‘06s. Great rifles, and bargains even today. The triggers are a bit odd, being hinged to the guard like a SMLE, but the pulls on mine were actually lighter than the typical single-stage military-style found on other FNs I’ve owned. Those chrome-lined barrels shoot well too, and it’s a mistake I think to swap them out willy-nilly.

Those rifles and some other guns are reminders of a better time when retail chains weren’t run by a bunch of liberal pussies afraid of every whiff of disapproval from the Left. They didn’t just sell guns, they put the company name on them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my Model 50. It’s ver accurate

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a Model 50 and a 51 and both shoot very well. All of my rifles are stainless synthetic except for those two. I use them hunting more than any of the other rifles because that wood and blue fits well and looks good with my 72yo body.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
The trigger kinda sucks on it, but I've shot worse. Not bad creep at all, just a little heavy, but I can make do with it. Great old rifles.

I love those old rifles.

I've seen some with military triggers and others with triggers pinned to the bottom metal. The military triggers are OK but I replace the others with a Timney right out of the gate.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by okie john

I love those old rifles.

I've seen some with military triggers and others with triggers pinned to the bottom metal. The military triggers are OK but I replace the others with a Timney right out of the gate.

Okie John

Yep, pinned to the bottom metal. Getting used to it for now, it's not bad. Shot it again today testing out 150's. Not too hot with those, in limited testing of 2 different loads, 1.5". I know it likes 165's and it did pretty well with those 180's. Might just be way off of what it will like with 150's or it may just not shoot them well, don't know.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice. Looks like a pleasure to own and take to the field on adventures.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 03/30/24.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
There is nothing Fudd about that rig. It is classic. My idea of a Fudd setup would be a Remington 742 with see thru rings and a scope with an oversized front bell.

That’s not Fudd, that’s Bubba.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My uncle, a long time Sears employee, had one, a .270.

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by okie john

I love those old rifles.

Okie John

Yep, pinned to the bottom metal. Getting used to it for now, it's not bad. Shot it again today testing out 150's. Not too hot with those, in limited testing of 2 different loads, 1.5". I know it likes 165's and it did pretty well with those 180's. Might just be way off of what it will like with 150's or it may just not shoot them well, don't know.

You can definitely get used to the pinned triggers. I change them because the trigger pull changes when you change the tension on the action screws. The tighter the screws, the heavier the trigger pull.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There isn't anything wrong with house brand guns, they function just as well as whatever name brand model they are based on, the finish is often a little less polished and the wood is generally a little lower grade, stained hardwood instead of walnut in many cases.

Marlin sold a lower grade, more basic, selection of their firearms under the Glenfield brand.

Remington did the same with their Mohawk brand that was only sold new through high volume retailers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,707
Posts18,475,350
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.