Home
man the 30 06 basically is a useless caliber unless you like junk. first of all i would challenge anyone to name a situation where there isnt a better caliber for the job.
- deer sized game in cover, 308 works better in short bbls
- deer sized game long range, magnums are flatter shooting
- elk sized game in cover again 308 or similar is more ideal
- elk sized game long range, again a magnum is better
- big bears, 06 is not enough gun
- dangerous game, 06 again is not suitable

so dont bother to rant on about your 3006 being all you need because i agree but there is no doubt that the 06 your lugging around all over the place is nothing but a compromise and there will always be a better tool for the job. kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer, weve all done it and it works but it works like crap
But it'll still be around long after you.
ha, I see you're searching for the MOST effective way to stir up the campfire. wink
My, my, my . . .
And to think all the game that fell to the 30-06 could have been killed with something better.
+1

are you calling out the masses?

oof, careful.

Well, it's post-political season.

Seems we've got to find the DSMF'er ballistic/cartridge/rifle trolls now.

Big_Chump steps up as the first, in what I'm sure will be a long line.
Big Chief - You're a liar, and a troll. And a very poor one at both. Anyone who does a search on your posts will see.

Go away.
Big chief full of heap big BS.

I have killed a boat load of deer, elk, etc, with a '06 and several with a 308. From a few feet to over 600 yards. Far as I could tell the game didn't seem to know the difference nor could I for that matter.
man the 30 06 basically is a useless caliber unless you like junk. first of all i would challenge anyone to name a situation where there isnt a better caliber for the job.

I assume you are trying to be inflammatory... because your post has not been very well thought out.

Look at his posts, he's lied many times about what game he has taken, and admitted to being a troll.
Here is a picture of Big Chief with a deer he supposedly shot. No 30-06 in sight just a crossbow...

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo216/g_godd/buck3.jpg

I could think of at least 40 or 100 better calibers.

I think it is childish to rant and call people names on these outdoor websites. If I were that type of person, I would call him something like idiot, loser, trouble-maker, scum-sucking pig, or any other of a few expletives. Good thing I'm not that type of a person.
"30 06 good for everything great for nothing" - The topic of this post is a joke, right?
You'll need to be nice to big chief. Taco Bell is a very hard job and he's under a lot of stress.
still havnt heard a single situation where the 30 06 is the best choice, bassically there is no argument the 30 06 is a compromise no matter what. and a crossbow is a better hunting tool than a compound thats why i use it if i was allowed to use a gun i would have and it sure as sh&t wouldnt have been some lame 30 06
I know Rick doesn't like to ban people, but I sure wish he's make an exception in your case.
i take the whole thread back, the 30 06 is arguably one of the best truck guns, because it doesnt matter if it gets rusty or beat up a bit and for some unknown reason ammunition is readily available, even then the .308 is a better choice.
Uuuuuh, the village called, they'd like their idiot back. Time to go Chiefy Weefy.
Dead is dead, The out of the last two deer that I shot, one fell in its tracks an the other made it 15yards. Dunno how much deader you want the critter to get.

Mommy and Daddy will want their computer back soon.. You better finish you trolls quick.
Originally Posted by Big_Chief
still havnt heard a single situation where the 30 06 is the best choice, bassically there is no argument the 30 06 is a compromise no matter what. and a crossbow is a better hunting tool than a compound thats why i use it if i was allowed to use a gun i would have and it sure as sh&t wouldnt have been some lame 30 06

Don't worry, maybe one day they'll let you own a gun.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I know Rick doesn't like to ban people, but I sure wish he's make an exception in your case.

Ditto.

Maybe we can all pm rick and change his mind grin grin grin
I'm sure he's got lots better to do than deal with a 12 year old moron.
i've never had any interest in the 270 but that's no reason for me to publicly bash it or say it's junk. that just wouldn't be cool.
i hate the 06 so i cant express my opinion? all you can do is pretend you didnt hear it and write me off as some kind of troll? lol i might be a troll if it wasnt true, still havnt heard an example of where its best. reply with an intelligent arguement and ill rethink my opinion. as for tattling on me and trying to get me banned lololol not everyone is foolishly loyal to 100 year old junk cartridges deal with it dont pout and whine like a little girl
Uuuuuh, the village called, they'd like their idiot back. Time to go Chiefy Weefy.
Go away Big Chump.

Okay, I guess I'll play. If you had to choose a single rifle, one with very few characteristics which might be confused as "bells or whistles," one which can and has been used to take virtually any and every kind of animal in North America including walrus - the only mammal we have that resembles the heavier stuff of Africa, a cartridge which is neither so fast that it needlessly wastes portions of critter intended for food nor has such a looping trajectory as to make many shots a challenge, a cartridge which is both easy enough to shoot while still employing sufficent power..........if you had to choose a single cartridge, the list of them would be very short, and the 30 caliber of 1906 would surely be on it, and right at the top of mine. And that's probably only the tip of the iceburg.
.30-06 has put a lot of asses in shallow graves, on battlefields around the world.
Throwing game meat on a table is no real challenge for it.
ok fine the 30 06 is the broke mans rifle. obama isnt president yet and the last time i checked americans are allowed to own more than one rifle. even if all you had was 2 the 06 would be a bad choice.
And you guys didn't think mercury poisoning in grade school was a problem...
people take elk with everything from a 243 up to 338 RUM & above, what's the best?

It's a stupid question, it's just stupid. they all work when used properly. use the one you enjoy using, for what ever your own reasons are. That's what makes your choice the best for you.

If there was one true "best" then what the hell would we need all these cartridges for?

30-06 is just one of the many cartridges that works very well. to single it or any other out as one that you "hate" ?

doesn't make much sense.

if you don't care for it, then just don't buy one, don't use one.

it's pretty simple.

hacking on any cartridge here is bad juju.

if your gonna do it then maybe try something like ".22 hornet is no good for alaskan browns"

big chief are you drunk?

he ain't old enuff......
The most expensive rifle I own is a 30-06, I like it and is fun to shoot, I shoot it alot, my skills have improved, game animals have more to fear.
Big Chief............your an IDIOT!
It's a great round for killing German and Japanese soldiers. kwg
BC: a few days ago, after getting caught in a lie, and admitting that you lie and post stupid things just to stir the pot, you got your feelings hurt and said you were leaving the "Fire". Guess that was another lie.
ok fine the 30 06 is the broke mans rifle. obama isnt president yet and the last time i checked americans are allowed to own more than one rifle. even if all you had was 2 the 06 would be a bad choice.
What's next? Sarah Palin isn't hot? DEMAGOGUERY
big chief,
why would you start such a thread? your comments only cause backlash from most folks. what possible purpose does that serve? i enjoy reading most threads on this site, and have learned a great deal from the others here. why not do you part here to make the campfire a pleasant place to visit, a place to learn and perhaps to teach others. all done in the spirit or friendship. please, give it some thought. and have a great day.
Hmm, you know for a fact 308s work better in short BBLs? In what way?
so`s a 25-06, I suppose it`s a better choice too?. Beside I`ve never seen a 458 mag load that was flatter shootin` then an `06
I suppose that 308 pill bucks brush better then the 30-06s?
Lets see....a slower same wgt bullet from a 308 is better up close but you need a faster bullet out farther. Then again maybe you`re suggesting that 458 mag
I`ll be sure to get a 308 if I ever hunt Grizzly
Don`t know, I`ve heard a much smaller gun working a rattler over prety well once.

Why can't you use a gun, are you a felon?
When I wore out the barrel of my 30-06, I paid Pac-Nor good money to rebarrel to... Drum roll... 30-06! Wonderful caliber, just wonderful. While it's certainly a bit much for our blacktails around here, the two I've killed with one fell at the shot and that was that.

It is indeed a jack of all trades- but that's a GOOD thing!!
pic of "great for nothing" results last Sunday evening in the Texas hill country. by the way the '06 is superior to the 308 on elk due to its ability to launch 180 grain and heavier slugs that should be used for elk faster.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg254/colthbar/DSC00442.jpg
The '06 hits so hard they stick to a wall smile
Okay, Big Cheese, Let me try again.

You said, "30 06 good for everything great for nothing."

In addition to being widely useful, the 30-06 is a fantastic moose rifle. (Last time I checked - and I've checked more than a couple of dozen times- moose are not "nothing").

The first moose I killed - perhaps before you were born, at least while your diapers were still soggy- that moose took one slug from my old '06 right through the lungs, flopped right there before my eyes. The most recent, a shot at 399 yards, the same version of death: a 190 grain BTSP Hornady InterLock, zipped through chest diagonally and out again. Didn't just flop like the one 20 some previous. It stood as they often do even when whacked by bigger, faster bullets, for a few seconds, then layed down and died.

I have killed moose with 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 34 cal, 35 cal, and 45 cal, and seen the killed by more. None has worked better than the old 30-06. Now, can you honestly say it isn't a great moose caliber? (I know I can't.)

Tabasco, or just salt and pepper on your paint chips today?
"not everyone is foolishly loyal to 100 year old junk cartridges deal with it dont pout and whine like a little girl "

Just re-read your post Big Chief, A cartridge doesn't become one of the most popular in North America and live to be 100 by being junk.........

I have used a .30-06 for hunting my whole life everything from coyote's to moose and caribou, I live in Northern Canada and this rifle has proven it self for me more times than I can count there are alot of great rounds out there but to me and many folks I hunt with the 06 is a great round for just about anything that walks in front of you, including school children who should be studying for there spelling test instead of wasting there time on the net talking about something they have no knowledge of.
Big chief, how long did it take you to dream up this ridiculous post?
Counseling dude, you need it.

so dont bother to rant on about your 3006 being all you need because i agree but there is no doubt that the 06 your lugging around all over the place is nothing but a compromise and there will always be a better tool for the job. kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer, weve all done it and it works but it works like crap

Now those are some fine words of wisdom. However, given that they come from a guy with no idea how to field dress his kill (Deer Down - Now What?), it's hard to believe these words come from any real-life experience using the .30-06 and any other cartridges.

Perhaps he really has shot many head of many types of game, in many different types of terrain, using many, many different rifle cartridges... and never had to field dress any of the animals he's killed...

As with all information - consider the source.
Big Chiefs is right. His crossbow is a much better truck weapon, especially in the middle of the night. It's so nice and quiet it doesn't wake anyone up.

I own 11 rifles, including a .308. I have used all but one on deer, and they ALL killed them great. There is just something special about my " Broke Mans " NULA 30-06 that causes me to use it about 90% of the time. I've taken Moose and Caribou with it also, and it sure makes them dead at ranges a lot farther than I should be shooting.
shot some big whitetail with 30-06 killed them as DEAD AS ANY OTHER CALIBER
30 06 is one great caliber thats for sure. versatile as all hell especially when you are a handloader. if your going to own just one rifle an 06 is a great choice. you can load 150 grain bullets for laser flat trajectory or load 220 gr to hit hard up close, anything in between is hardly a bad choice either. i personally am not interested in owning one for whatever reason but if youve got one and like to shoot it youd be hard pressed to find a more ideal rifle for any game north america has to offer.
Originally Posted by montanabadger

yes i was charged for being too sexy and as a result all of my firearms were confiscated. ever heard of bow season??
I'm pretty sure you meds aren't right yet.

Or you're just plain dumb, you contradict yourself severl times on this thread alone.
Gees I thought Chief had to be joking when he posted the title grin

I put those like Big_Chief on ignore right away. There is so much to do, so much to read. No sense wasting time.
I once read that a lot of older houses had lead based paints on the wall.

The ingestion of such paint could actually lead to measurable cognitive impairment.

That might explain a lot.

Originally Posted by prarie_boy1
"not everyone is foolishly loyal to 100 year old junk cartridges deal with it dont pout and whine like a little girl "

Just re-read your post Big Chief, A cartridge doesn't become one of the most popular in North America and live to be 100 by being junk.........

How does the 30-06 become the compromise cartridge if it was here first???

Your opinion, to which you are entitled...........fortunately for me I don't share it!!!
30-06 excellent gun
Every one is entitled to there own opinion until jan 20th anyway but the 30-06 ranks up there on my list

This guy's writing style is just like a poster known as "GunKid" on a few forums, a few years back. Word was he got locked up for something or other. The dots sorta connect.
The dude must have found something new to smoke.
Why even respond to such a fool? Let him be and he will die and go away. Its obvious hes an idiot.
lololol what is it exactly that you stroke? hahaahahaha
Yes, it has such a limited bullet selection that it's only good for things like ground squirrels to moose. If careful with his heavier slugs one could probably even get past brown bear. After 45 years of hunting, I finally bought one this fall. What a POS.
He doesn't have an opinion here, he has probably never even fired a 30-06, he is just here to stir the pot. Hey big chunk, don't you need to go see your probation officer? Too sexy hugh, compared to what?
I can remember when i was a kid moving up from a 30-30 to dads 30-06 was part of becoming a man I remember that day like it was yesterday still got the old 06 would not take nothing for it
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

This guy's writing style is just like a poster known as "GunKid" on a few forums, a few years back. Word was he got locked up for something or other. The dots sorta connect.

Leave to the Master Guns, to start making sense. Damn it.............
Cheap entertainment.
So for a while we make him the center of this post and we just encourage him and others to do the same thing� when they are feeling lonely or left out.
I just read this entire thread and found it highly entertaining. I truly do hope Big Chief finds his perfect rifle someday, and also some serious help in the metacognition department. I'm a guy that loves to acquire new rounds to work up and play with, but I find it somewhat funny that he trashes the only gun I will never sell, because if I somehow don't get load development done with whatever new caliber I'm playing with, I just grab my M70 Classic FWT .30-06 and some 165 gr. BT's or Partitions and go kill stuff, dead.
Selmer
Any one that considers the 30-06 useless or junk does not have a firm grasp of reality.
- deer in cover, with the same length barrels, the 30-06 is 1/2" longer than a 308, the 308 works as well as a 30-06, not better.
-deer at long range, with the same bullet weight the 300 Winchester magnum adds 100 yards of range.
-elk in cover, see deer in cover above.
-elk at long range, see deer at long range above.
-big bears, the 30-06 loaded with 200 grain Swift Aframes or 180 grain TSX's is enough gun. There are no minimum calibers proscribed by law for big bears.
-dangerous game, the 30-06 is not a dangerous game cartridge so yes it is not suitable. Niether are the 308 Winchester or the 300 Winchester Magnum. By law in Africa dangerous game cartridges start at the 375 H&H. That does not however mean that the 30-06 can not kill dangerous game.
So much for your ranting. As my father used to say, "stupidity unlimited".
Lol, hand loaded or not, i have never seen more than 100fps difference with my -06 and my .308. What does this mean to me. They are both equally great and well suited to all hoofed game in N. America under most circumstances. Neither are my favorites, though they are among them. The only reason they dont take the top spots are because i have others that work as well and kick less.
Whilst I don't really care much for the 30-06 myself, I do think it has it's place for SOME.
I'm glad you didn't say that about the 308Win wink. Now that is truly a great cal!
Up to 180gr's the 308Win will dance with the 30-06, no sweat, in a much neater/tidier package. It's just after that the 30-06 shows the edge. But that's where my 338WM shines with 210TSX's at 2900.

yes i was charged for being too sexy and as a result all of my firearms were confiscated. ever heard of bow season??

Then why are you posting here? This forum happens to be called hunting RIFLES. By the way Einstein, the 308 is just a shorter version of the 06. Be it 30/30, 308, 3006, 300 Ultra mag, 30-378, 300 win, 300wsm, or 300 Savage, THEY ALL USE THE SAME BULLETS, they just happen to have a different capacity brass cylinder to hold the powder. The other fact is, at some range, even the 300 Ultra mag becomes a 30/30 velocity wise. You are now officially on ignore.
Isn't this the guy that posted that video of the locked bucks a few weeks ago? His buddy shot an arrow in one and then another buddy shot the other? Then it took about 45 minutes to pry the antlers apart? Something like that? Then word got out that the video was several years old and from a different part of the country than claimed?
Even though treading lightly is not Big Chief's forte, his post has some merit. I too think of the '06 as one heck of an all-rounder, but not perfectly suited for any specific situation (What is, really?).

Guys, about the only thing more annoying than a dog that rudely awaits a free morsel, are the ones that keeping feeding the fuggin' thing!!
no that was not me
I almost bought a 30-06, but got a 300WM instead, not that it does any more than a 30-06 will, I was 10 years younger and wanted a magnum. Its now my go to rifle, but I would have just as well been served with an 06 as with a 300WM. I like to tell myself that the 30-06 is like a nice steak, the 300WM st that steak with onions and mushrooms. I think someone on this board coined that phrase. As for coming on here and bashing a cartridge, what good does that serve? You could just come on here and pose a question in a tactful manner and get honest answers. Or you can come on here insulting people and get a negative response like you did, its just a persons natural response.
The 30-06 is the best all around caliber and the best at finding ammo where ever you are in the world. Many believe it is the best deer cartridge with a 165 gr bullet and it has 100 ft per second over the 308. It can be loaded at 2800 ft per second, not being a max load. For larger critters such as elk, a 180 gr
bullet at 2700 ft per second not being a max load. For an all around caliber it's the best. For a max load a 190 gr at 2700.
Many feel that the 308 can do the same thing. Sure it can with max loads except with heavier bullets. There is a cross over here, where the 100 fps difference makes a difference for those who don't load to the max. Have you checked ammo for the 308?
Try to find the Barnes x type bullets in 165 grain in the 308
in the gun stores when you need it. But pop in and try to find
a 30-06 load for what you need. It will probably be there.

The first moose I shot as a kid of 15 was with a 30-06. Nice bull at 400 yards give or take. Ask medicman, he was there. Here's the picture. One shot = dead moose. Ideal cartridge for that moose? --- DON'T ask the moose! He's dead! Is 400 yards on a moose a doable shot for an '06? It was that day, and I know several other guys that have done it with no trouble.

[Linked Image]

Big Chief is missing something upstairs.

Spanked in the brain!
Forty one years ago I killed my first buck mule deer with a model 54 Winchester chambered for the 30-06 Springfield. More than fifty rifles later, guess what my favorite rifle is?

The moose above was 43 years ago, so we BOTH came home to the same cartridge. wink
Nice Moose!

Where I think the 30-06 shines, is with a 200-240gr pill. Down my way, 180gr TSX's(06) don't seem to be exiting on our big bodied stags(broadside chest shots). This is where a 200gr TSX, 220gr & 240gr Woodleigh would be a better option IMO. But that's an entirely different thread(grin).
Big Chief �

Clearly, you�re an idiot.

Deer or elk in cover, all you need is a .30-30.

Deer or elk long range, the .30-06 will add 45-50 yards to what a .308 Win can do.

Magnums are sometimes flatter shooting than the .30-06, depending on the loads in question, but at long range the difference is often surprisingly small. I shoot my three .30-06s out to 500 yards, well beyond the range at which I�ve taken game. The magnums also provide more recoil, often significantly so, and often with no difference in terminal effect.

A survey I read a couple years back said the number one cartridge carried by Alaskan guides was still the .30-06. Do you suppose they would do so if they thought it was inadequate?

My cartridge of choice for backyard dangerous game is a .45-70 Marlin loaded with my �Rhino Blaster� handloads - 460g hardcast running 1812fps. Living where I do, however, the most dangerous game I�m likely to see is two-legged scumbags and the .30-06 has a pretty decent record against such game.

Is the .30-06 a compromise? I have news for you � ALL cartridges are a compromise. The .30-06 just happens to be a very well balanced compromise that can cover almost any situation most hunters find themselves in. I�ve got a .30-30, .308 Win and a .300 Win Mag and among these cartridges the .308 Win is the best all-around compromise for my purposes. The .308 Win can, in fact, do ALMOST everything as well as my three .30-06s can � but not quite.

With the powders and bullets today, I just don't know what the .30-06 CAN'T do in North America and I do not think the old "except the big bears" reclama is still valid. While not a stopper, I think you could lay low any bear in NA with the -06 and a 180 TSX at 2700.

Expat
CH, is that Marlin an 1895 or a GG? That is one whompin' load...I hurt reading about it..
Boy, Big Chief got pretty much what he wanted when he started this thread. He really knows how to get under peoples skin don't he. Why we are even responding is beyond me. I can't think of anyone else that would come up with such absurdities(sp). The aught six has got no flies on it and to even debate the point with the likes of Big Chief just lowers ourselves to his level. You would think he would get tired of being ignored and leave for good, if we would just ignore him instead of taking the bait.
5 pages so far-- absolutely rediculous
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
CH, is that Marlin an 1895 or a GG? That is one whompin' load...I hurt reading about it..

Its an 1895, 22" barrel. About 48 pounds recoil with the scope off, took me a LONG time to work up to shooting it with the scope on. (Got a Leupold 2-7 with 4.9" eye relief, don't recommend it with scopes with the more standard 3" relief!)
Had the Remington M700 .30-06 out at the range today, plinking steel at 500. Of course the .257 Roberts was hitting the steel at 500 AND the clay pigeons at 400.

Couldn't more than scare the pigeons with the .30-06. Guess its a worthless POS cartridge...
big chief = gunkid = IGNORE

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Its an 1895, 22" barrel. About 48 pounds recoil with the scope off, took me a LONG time to work up to shooting it with the scope on. (Got a Leupold 2-7 with 4.9" eye relief, don't recommend it with scopes with the more standard 3" relief!)

That's why I have a Williams FP on my GG.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
ha, I see you're searching for the MOST effective way to stir up the campfire. wink

Yeah!--And I hear Obama shoots a 30-06! grin

That oughtta light up Stevers........

Casey
Originally Posted by alpinerick
Yeah!--And I hear Obama shoots a 30-06!

I thought the only things he would shoot would be his mouth and the constitution. mad

kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer, weve all done it and it works but it works like crap

Not me. I use the tool that is specific for the job at hand. Have never used a ratchet as a hammer. If I have to open a paint can, and a slotted screwdriver is sitting next to the can, wouldnt even occur to me to use it to open the can-that is what paint can openers are for. Screwdrivers are for loosening or tightening screws.
...And I have killed a half dozen deer with an 06-a very proper tool for the job.
Big Chief I am not a big 30-06 fan but if elk were often on my plate I would sign up in a heartbeat. A 30-06 bests a 308 for elk under most normal conditions. Wouldn't you be greatful having the ability to fire heavier rounds if a grizz showed up? I would. As for long distances I think most would agree that todays bullets allow for a lighter grain usage and flatter trajectories so a magnum is not a must. Older things that are still in wide use normally means something has been perfected, like wine that has aged, or literature that has survived. Heck electricity has been around as long and we all still use it don't we?
Are we still responding to this bonehead?
Don't care much for these razzle-dazzle newfangled cartridges. Give it another hundred years or so and I might could get comfy with it?
Guys, you are going off on him, and half of you aren't even responding to his comment, you are just calling him names. I am reasonably sure that he is a troll, but he makes a very valid point.

The .30-06 is not the best choice for any hunting situation. But most of us don't really care that a .220 Swift is flatter shooting or faster. And the fact that a .35 Norma lobs a bigger chunk of lead is moot in most cases. So does a .50 BMG. Most people are smart enough to know that while there is always a better cartridge that will do a specific job better than the .30-06, there is no cartridge out there that can do ALL the jobs a .30-06 can do. The thing that makes the .30-06 shine, and the reason it is still the benchmark other cartridges are judged against is because it is reasonably good for just about anything. I have several, and none of them are on the top of my list for specific kinds of hunting. Normally I have one cartridge or another that will do a particular job better or with less recoil. But if I had to pick one gun to hunt with, everywhere, it would be a .30-06. Not my favorite for anything, but with handloads I could make it work just about anything on the planet. From ground squirrels to really big critters. And while he is trolling to get people riled up, his arguement is sound. Next time don't fall for his inflamatory comments. He wants you to jump up and down like the monkeys at the zoo when he pokes a stick in the cage. Either agree or disagree, and state your reasons why. Anything else just gives him the reaction he was looking for. If you don't get all bent out of shape, he will either give up and go elsewhere, or give up on making stupid remarks because nobody is reacting the way he wants them to.

-Mb
He is an admitted liar and troll. It's perfectly acceptable and expected, for that matter, to not play along with his query and point out his obnoxious behavior on this board.

Anyhoo, the .30-06 troll is as old as gun and hunting forums themselves. At least come up with something new and interesting.
I would agree that the 30-06 may not be the best choice for varmits, but it does a great job there. It may not be the best gun for deer, but it does the great job there too. Bear?, put the bullet where you should, dead bear. What is called a "compromise" could just as easily be labeled "versatile". One would be well equipped in most any circumstane on the North American continent with the 30-06.(and for most game on other continents also) It's 102 years old and still as popular as it was in 06'--1906!. That can't be said for the countless miracle rounds that have gone obsolete in the same period. Must be something to it. But as many have pointed out, it is nice to have the option for other calibers too. I love my .222 Remington, but many would say that has been bettered. The woodchucks don't say that, and they ain't talking when shot with the 30-06 either. So if one thinks the 30-06 is not for them, fine, don't buy one, I won't lose any sleep. Dan

The best gun choice for hunting is the gun that I have in my hand at the time. If it happens to be a 30-06, it is the best choice.

GB
I love the .30-06, mine started off as an ADL but I dropped it in a CDL stock. It's very accurate. I love Remingtons.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That would look good on Brads fencepost.......
Big Chief seems to be one of those entertaining and irreverent types who would light a match in a crowded subway,and yell "FIRE" just to see what shakes out... smile

That said, and like the broken clock that's right twice a day,there is a grain of truth mixed in with the hyperbole,and the 30/06 has been known through the years by some riflemen as a "Jack of all trades and Master of none". It may be shaded in the spruce thickets very slightly by something like a ,338 Federal,on the antelope flats by a 270, or on cross canyon elk by a 300 Weatherby. I'd feel more comfy chasing brown bear or Cape Buffalo with a 375H&H,but the fact of the matter is that the 30/06 has been getting all these jobs done for decades.It is likely the most useful big game caliber a person can buy.

If you're a practical type who does not care for minutiae,wants to hunt in a bunch of places, never worry about ammo supply,and want to kill a wide variety of game without a bunch of fanfare,there may be nothing better.

OTOH if you like crunching numbers,obsessing over short actions, and other wise creating the "perfect rifle" for every single game animal and micro-habitat on the continent(each carried conveniently in a golf bag for easy access)you will be wise to eschew the 30/06.It will perform out of its' class and leave you with a hollow,unfulfilled, sort of empty feeling....as the freezer fills with meat,and your home is adorned with a wide variety of animal parts....
Dude got what he asked for ---- An emotionl challenge gets emotional responses with equal respect.

BUT let's examine his logic

Does that mean the the 06 performs worse than the 308 in these areas - NOPE.. This doesn't make it junk.

Again this doesn't mean you don't get good kill energy at those distance, you just have to know ballistics. If you understand the "flatter" you also understand it's not a whole hell of alot flatter - so in th end unless your adding a whole lot of powder column this is somewhat bullchit.

Ah the first bullchit, we're grasping at straws now... Often (more than I'd like) elk are shot across a drainage at 300+ with a heavy bullet the 06 is better..

** at this point one has to assume that chef rides back to camp to get another rifle when he leaves the dark timber... or for that point there are no fields where he lives because he never gets a shot at a buck over a decent sized corn field.

- True but not for the average shooter - if you can't shoot a magnum as well as a 06 you should stick with the 06. Old wise men will tell you this, but hey, ya weren't listening in the first place where ya. Again this goes to ballistics, skill, and common sense (which is more rare than ever).

Personally I agree with bigger dangerous game = bigger gun

In the end the only way one could assume Chef is not living in a very small box.

1) If we ignore the fact that the 06 was choosen by the miliatry to be a rifle with the highest power that wouldn't make people flinch - aka it's very shootable, and many people screw up shots dangerous game "in a bad, bad way." Ask the most experienced guys about brown bear hunting and he'll tell you that the guy with a beat up 06 is much more likely to make a good shot than a magnumn guy - I forgot his name (alaskan guide Brown bear guy.. I think he is on the board).

2) If we ignore the fact that we don't carry two guns (rifles) while hunting for both short and long range that provides the best spread for each vs. having to pass shots - Lopes make a good example - shoot one with a light weigth 7mm mag with bullets designed to perform at 500 yds in a 7mm mag at 40 yards - you get half a lope... people do it all the time - maybe chef is one of these guys?

No short and long barrels aside the chambering is fine if not awsome.

Ok, I'll bite. If I could keep only one of my rifles and there are many, it would be a 30-06. The only problem I have is deciding which one. An accurate shot with a 165gr partition will put the smack down on all North American big game animals. Now thats not to say that I would leave the 338 at home on a Elk hunt. I'm just saying that the 30-06 is the best all around caliber for many reasons that I think most folks are aware of. Ken in Oregon
...BUT let's examine his logic

Does that mean the the 06 performs worse than the 308 in these areas - NOPE.. This doesn't make it junk.

Again this doesn't mean you don't get good kill energy at those distance, you just have to know ballistics. If you understand the "flatter" you also understand it's not a whole hell of alot flatter - so in th end unless your adding a whole lot of powder column this is somewhat bullchit.

Ah the first bullchit, we're grasping at straws now... Often (more than I'd like) elk are shot across a drainage at 300+ with a heavy bullet the 06 is better..

** at this point one has to assume that chef rides back to camp to get another rifle when he leaves the dark timber... or for that point there are no fields where he lives because he never gets a shot at a buck over a decent sized corn field.

- True but not for the average shooter - if you can't shoot a magnum as well as a 06 you should stick with the 06. Old wise men will tell you this, but hey, ya weren't listening in the first place where ya. Again this goes to ballistics, skill, and common sense (which is more rare than ever).

Personally I agree with bigger dangerous game = bigger gun

In the end the only way one could assume Chef is not living in a very small box.

1) If we ignore the fact that the 06 was choosen by the miliatry to be a rifle with the highest power that wouldn't make people flinch - aka it's very shootable, and many people screw up shots dangerous game "in a bad, bad way." Ask the most experienced guys about brown bear hunting and he'll tell you that the guy with a beat up 06 is much more likely to make a good shot than a magnumn guy - I forgot his name (alaskan guide Brown bear guy.. I think he is on the board).

2) If we ignore the fact that we don't carry two guns (rifles) while hunting for both short and long range that provides the best spread for each vs. having to pass shots - Lopes make a good example - shoot one with a light weigth 7mm mag with bullets designed to perform at 500 yds in a 7mm mag at 40 yards - you get half a lope... people do it all the time - maybe chef is one of these guys?

That was well said...
Could he have possibly eaten too many paint chips as a child?
Is there a big game animal anywhere on earth that hasn't been killed with a 30/06? I'm including Africa in this one.
Knocking the 06 is like knocking Santa Claus or football,just plain unamerican.
© 24hourcampfire