Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
- deer sized game in cover, 308 works better in short bbls
Hmm, you know for a fact 308s work better in short BBLs? In what way?
- deer sized game long range, magnums are flatter shooting
so`s a 25-06, I suppose it`s a better choice too?. Beside I`ve never seen a 458 mag load that was flatter shootin` then an `06
- elk sized game in cover again 308 or similar is more ideal
I suppose that 308 pill bucks brush better then the 30-06s?
- elk sized game long range, again a magnum is better
Lets see....a slower same wgt bullet from a 308 is better up close but you need a faster bullet out farther. Then again maybe you`re suggesting that 458 mag
- big bears, 06 is not enough gun
I`ll be sure to get a 308 if I ever hunt Grizzly
- dangerous game, 06 again is not suitable
Don`t know, I`ve heard a much smaller gun working a rattler over prety well once.

Last edited by Ol` Joe; 11/05/08.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Big_Chief
still havnt heard a single situation where the 30 06 is the best choice, bassically there is no argument the 30 06 is a compromise no matter what. and a crossbow is a better hunting tool than a compound thats why i use it if i was allowed to use a gun i would have and it sure as sh&t wouldnt have been some lame 30 06
Why can't you use a gun, are you a felon?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I wore out the barrel of my 30-06, I paid Pac-Nor good money to rebarrel to... Drum roll... 30-06! Wonderful caliber, just wonderful. While it's certainly a bit much for our blacktails around here, the two I've killed with one fell at the shot and that was that.

It is indeed a jack of all trades- but that's a GOOD thing!!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pic of "great for nothing" results last Sunday evening in the Texas hill country. by the way the '06 is superior to the 308 on elk due to its ability to launch 180 grain and heavier slugs that should be used for elk faster.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg254/colthbar/DSC00442.jpg

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The '06 hits so hard they stick to a wall smile

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, Big Cheese, Let me try again.

You said, "30 06 good for everything great for nothing."

In addition to being widely useful, the 30-06 is a fantastic moose rifle. (Last time I checked - and I've checked more than a couple of dozen times- moose are not "nothing").

The first moose I killed - perhaps before you were born, at least while your diapers were still soggy- that moose took one slug from my old '06 right through the lungs, flopped right there before my eyes. The most recent, a shot at 399 yards, the same version of death: a 190 grain BTSP Hornady InterLock, zipped through chest diagonally and out again. Didn't just flop like the one 20 some previous. It stood as they often do even when whacked by bigger, faster bullets, for a few seconds, then layed down and died.

I have killed moose with 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 34 cal, 35 cal, and 45 cal, and seen the killed by more. None has worked better than the old 30-06. Now, can you honestly say it isn't a great moose caliber? (I know I can't.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
ok fine the 30 06 is the broke mans rifle. obama isnt president yet and the last time i checked americans are allowed to own more than one rifle. even if all you had was 2 the 06 would be a bad choice.

Tabasco, or just salt and pepper on your paint chips today?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
"not everyone is foolishly loyal to 100 year old junk cartridges deal with it dont pout and whine like a little girl "

Just re-read your post Big Chief, A cartridge doesn't become one of the most popular in North America and live to be 100 by being junk.........

I have used a .30-06 for hunting my whole life everything from coyote's to moose and caribou, I live in Northern Canada and this rifle has proven it self for me more times than I can count there are alot of great rounds out there but to me and many folks I hunt with the 06 is a great round for just about anything that walks in front of you, including school children who should be studying for there spelling test instead of wasting there time on the net talking about something they have no knowledge of.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Big chief, how long did it take you to dream up this ridiculous post?
Counseling dude, you need it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
man the 30 06 basically is a useless caliber unless you like junk. first of all i would challenge anyone to name a situation where there isnt a better caliber for the job.

so dont bother to rant on about your 3006 being all you need because i agree but there is no doubt that the 06 your lugging around all over the place is nothing but a compromise and there will always be a better tool for the job. kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer, weve all done it and it works but it works like crap

Now those are some fine words of wisdom. However, given that they come from a guy with no idea how to field dress his kill (Deer Down - Now What?), it's hard to believe these words come from any real-life experience using the .30-06 and any other cartridges.

Perhaps he really has shot many head of many types of game, in many different types of terrain, using many, many different rifle cartridges... and never had to field dress any of the animals he's killed...

As with all information - consider the source.

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 11/06/08.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Big Chiefs is right. His crossbow is a much better truck weapon, especially in the middle of the night. It's so nice and quiet it doesn't wake anyone up.

I own 11 rifles, including a .308. I have used all but one on deer, and they ALL killed them great. There is just something special about my " Broke Mans " NULA 30-06 that causes me to use it about 90% of the time. I've taken Moose and Caribou with it also, and it sure makes them dead at ranges a lot farther than I should be shooting.

Lee F.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid"

-John Wayne

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

B
B
shot some big whitetail with 30-06 killed them as DEAD AS ANY OTHER CALIBER

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
30 06 is one great caliber thats for sure. versatile as all hell especially when you are a handloader. if your going to own just one rifle an 06 is a great choice. you can load 150 grain bullets for laser flat trajectory or load 220 gr to hit hard up close, anything in between is hardly a bad choice either. i personally am not interested in owning one for whatever reason but if youve got one and like to shoot it youd be hard pressed to find a more ideal rifle for any game north america has to offer.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by montanabadger
still havnt heard a single situation where the 30 06 is the best choice, bassically there is no argument the 30 06 is a compromise no matter what. and a crossbow is a better hunting tool than a compound thats why i use it if i was allowed to use a gun i would have and it sure as sh&t wouldnt have been some lame 30 06
Why can't you use a gun, are you a felon?

yes i was charged for being too sexy and as a result all of my firearms were confiscated. ever heard of bow season??

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm pretty sure you meds aren't right yet.

Or you're just plain dumb, you contradict yourself severl times on this thread alone.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Gees I thought Chief had to be joking when he posted the title grin

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put those like Big_Chief on ignore right away. There is so much to do, so much to read. No sense wasting time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I once read that a lot of older houses had lead based paints on the wall.

The ingestion of such paint could actually lead to measurable cognitive impairment.

That might explain a lot.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1
"not everyone is foolishly loyal to 100 year old junk cartridges deal with it dont pout and whine like a little girl "

Just re-read your post Big Chief, A cartridge doesn't become one of the most popular in North America and live to be 100 by being junk.........

How does the 30-06 become the compromise cartridge if it was here first???

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
man the 30 06 basically is a useless caliber unless you like junk. first of all i would challenge anyone to name a situation where there isnt a better caliber for the job.

so dont bother to rant on about your 3006 being all you need because i agree but there is no doubt that the 06 your lugging around all over the place is nothing but a compromise and there will always be a better tool for the job. kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer, weve all done it and it works but it works like crap

Your opinion, to which you are entitled...........fortunately for me I don't share it!!!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1minute, 1_deuce, 280fan, 27 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,337
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.