Home
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
Just curious if anyone here is working with one, and or has.

Not too interested in hearing about why it's just an expensive T3 so if you don't mind hold off on that gack.

But, if you've spendt time with one (preferable shooting it) then please give me your thoughts.

Gracias

Dober
Posted By: SU35 Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
Hey Mark, I have no experience but I think this a pretty good review.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Hunting_Gear_and_Products/Sako-A7-Review-09090804.html
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
One in 270 would work!
Posted By: old_willys Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
Mark,

I did get to shoot a 270 win A7 and I really liked the gun, tried to get one in 25-06 all last year but no luck. Hopefully one will be available this summer (and I will again have a few extra bucks), I found the best price and great service at Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminister, CA..
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
A buddy has one in .300 WSM. His is a stainless synthetic model, the rifle is very accurate easily shooting MOA with the two different factory loads tried, it also has a great trigger and fit and finish looks fine. The good thing about the A-7 is you actually attach the bases to the receiver with genuine screws. The grooved receiver feature on the Sako 75/85 is really the only flaw I see in these rifles but for me it's a deal breaker I've sold all My Mod 85's account of this feature................547.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
Isn't it just an expensive T3? grin
And to think I found about 5 cases of small rifle primers... shocked

Dober
ouch...
Posted By: juliang Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
I was in Whittaker's gun shop in KY last week. They had a bunch of A7's, including 25-06. They were nestled in amongst the T3's. I picked a few up and they felt very nice to me. While I have 3 T3's and have never been bothered by the long action thing, the A7 with short action was a nice feature.
Rancho-how's my fav baby 7 doing?

Dober
Bought some 154 Innerlocks yesterday.. Gonna give them a run with the Interbombs you gave up - over H1000, Magpro and H100v. Might go out today.
I've gotta road trip to Dillon to look at some property otherwise I'd meet ya out there.

Shoot straight!

Dober
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
Originally Posted by 547
A buddy has one in .300 WSM. His is a stainless synthetic model, the rifle is very accurate easily shooting MOA with the two different factory loads tried, it also has a great trigger and fit and finish looks fine. The good thing about the A-7 is you actually attach the bases to the receiver with genuine screws. The grooved receiver feature on the Sako 75/85 is really the only flaw I see in these rifles but for me it's a deal breaker I've sold all My Mod 85's account of this feature................547.

I like the rail system, the tikka I have when used with factory rings was the truest system I have mounted a scope to, very strait, the tikkas also come with holes drilled and tapped so if you wanna run talley lightweights its not problem.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/28/09
What's wrong with being an expensive T3?!
I can't speak for Tikka rifles as I have never owned one but I have read several horror stories about sako rifles right here on the good ol campfire that tell of scopes sliding off the grooved Sako receiver's. A guy said his scope came off while he was sliding his rifle back into a scabbard while on horse back and he watched in horror as his Zeiss scope bounced from rock to rock as it careened down into a gorge, and another story I can remember is from a PH in Africa....He wrote that he could remember several times that scopes slid off of Sako rifles while they were standing up in rack's in the back of trucks as they were driving through the bush....I know it's all in how you mount the scope but it don't take a "Rocket scientist" to figure out that this system can't be as secure as mounting your bases to the receiver using genuine screws with a dab of lok-tight (if desired)............547.
Actually the T3 is better and should cost more than the A-7 grin.................547.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
Originally Posted by 547
I know it's all in how you mount the scope but it don't take a "Rocket scientist" to figure out that this system can't be as secure as mounting your bases to the receiver using genuine screws with a dab of lok-tight (if desired)............547.

I think that you are wrong. Properly tightened the Sako system should be more secure than relying on 4 small screws. In general the fewer screws the better. I'd bet that there's a 100 rifles out there with loose base screws for every Sako that might have improperly tightened rings.

How many rifles have you seen with improperly drilled and tapped base mounting screws? I've seen Dozens. This can't happen with the Sako Dovetail.

The Sako Dovetails self tighten as the gun is fired. They also allow for windage adjustment so that a scope can be mounted in it's optical center. With the right rings you can have a dead solid mounting system that won't scratch your scope, won't move in recoil, be mounted on optical center and can be removed and reinstalled without changing zero. If the Dovetail mounting system was the standard and or more widely available people would be complaining about having to use separate bases held on by flimsy screws. The Dovetails are a superior mounting system that's just not what most US shooters are used to................................DJ
Posted By: handwerk Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
Well said DJ, I too like sakos dovetail mounting system
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
Dober,

I've only fondled a few at the local gun shop. I'd buy one in a 260... Err, I mean a Bob Improved laugh

I like the fact that they make it in a real short action
Posted By: mlg Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
Originally Posted by handwerk
Well said DJ, I too like sakos dovetail mounting system

I agree too - never had a problem with em. Just never ceases to amaze me how few people understand how the Sako Dovetail system works......
Posted By: djp Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
Would think that after 50 or so years Sako might have ironed out any problems with their dovetail system. If a fella can't manage to tighten up a couple screws on a Sako mount, I wouldn't expect that having 4 screws would be any better. They are tapered and they have a limiting pin to resist any movement. I think any problems would come from using Sako mounts made by other companies - they often are less well made and don't have the limiter pin.

As for the A7 - haven't had the pleasure, but it's built off a modified Sako 75 with the 5shot/1inch guarantee...seems like a winner to me.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
I have had no issues with Sako dovetail system either and really like it. I just ordered up a 2 sets of the optilok ring bases (1 piece) for my rifles.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
I also never have had a problem with Sako dovetails on over 20 Sako's I've owned. That said, I just bought a A7 in .308 Winny (I will pick it up next week), and I am scope shopping for it. Thinking maybe a Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40 w/Z600 reticle.

Will post pictures and comments when I get it up and shooting.

Bob
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
DJ. I know your a huge Sako guy and they can do no wrong,I like Sako's too and other than their sorry mounting system which is also way too heavy and bulky, not mention you can't mount your scope low enough. I can find no fault with them. If it's such a fantastic "can't fail" system how come it's not used on every other rifle made? You say it's because were not used to it in the US, I think that's a little thin, if it is a better system everyone would have been using it for years, at least the custom rifle makers would use it wouldn't you think? and I've never read one story of a scope that popped completely off and went banging down over a canyon or a scope that fell off a rifle that was just standing in a rack that was mounted with flimsy screws, I'm sure many have worked loose but not completely detached from the rifle, and I know with the literally millions of rifles in service that use this flimsy screw system their could be exceptions..As for me I'll just use this sorry not lined up screw system on My old junkie Remington's and Winchester's and Weatherby's and almost every other rifle in the free world...I'm glad Sako don't build cars they might use this clamp on system to attach the wheels grin..........547.
Bob, Thats exactly what I want, if it's stainless I'm jealous. how much did she cost?.................547.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
I guess that means that all the Weaver systems are faulty too? Aren't they the same idea? I think that the other manufactures don't incorporate it is because of the cost to machine that into the receiver, look at remington, its a pipe basically and its cheap to put 4 holes into it to screw your mounts too. I beg to differ that the Sako system is inferior. Its just what you are used to and what most rifle makers use...does not make theirs better IMO.

I would like to see pics of these Sako mishaps from someone with first hand experience....
Posted By: Shadow Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/29/09
Originally Posted by 547
Bob, Thats exactly what I want, if it's stainless I'm jealous. how much did she cost?.................547.

Nope, got the Blue one. It will be $748. delivered. The SS version was 100 greenbacks more. Hell I'm cheap, and I melt in the rain, so I do not need the Stainless one.

Bob
I'm not crazy about the Sako slide-on Opti-lok system but I'd forgotten about the good ol Ruger system that I do like, it seems to be very secure and it is machined into the receiver with a recoil lug, at least you can get your scope low enough and the system is light and clean looking (not bulky at all) Hell, Ruger even includes rings, it's really a pretty good deal..The Weaver system I also like, a vast array of ring choices that are solid as a rock with a nice big recoil lug.................547.
I heard that about melting in the rain, I feel the same. Good luck with your new rifle and let me know how she shoot's. I am still jealous..............547.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
Originally Posted by 547
DJ. I know your a huge Sako guy and they can do no wrong,I like Sako's too and other than their sorry mounting system which is also way too heavy and bulky, not mention you can't mount your scope low enough. I can find no fault with them. If it's such a fantastic "can't fail" system how come it's not used on every other rifle made? 547.

As far as Sako being able to do no wrong you must have missed my posts about the firing pin retainer that broke on my TRG-22 or where I've compared some of the features of a Kimber Montana being superior to those of a Finnlites. I like both and feel each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The TRG-22 is a superb rifle but you sure don't want to dry fire one much!

As far as why other makers don't use the same system there's probably two reasons. One is that it might be patented by Sako and therefore other makers aren't allowed to use it. Two is that most shooters tend to prefer cheaper to better, going with what works OK at lower costs than something that's better but costs substantially more.

I do agree that the Ruger system is also excellent. It doesn't allow windage adjustment like the dovetail system does and isn't quite as well made but it's solid and a bargain at that.

BTW the low optilocks are indeed what we usually would call a medium height ring but they do make extra-lows (which I haven't tried yet) and one peice ring bases that are even lower. In addition there are other manufacturers that make ring systems for the Sako Dovetails that do allow lower mounting and several of my freinds here prefer anyway, read Talley's and Conetrols. You aren't stuck with just Sako rings on Sako dovetailed rifles.

So in the end we can all have what we want anyway. If you don't like the Sako Dovetails buy the A7 discussed by the OP. They seem to be a solid bargain of a rifle just as the Tikka T-3's are. If you don't mind spending a little more for something a little better move up to the 75 or 85 series rifles - They all shoot great!....................................DJ
Posted By: mliang Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
Played with a few at the local shop. There is a lot to like about the A7. But what I really don't like about them is the overuse use of plastic. The plastic bolt shroud, triggerguard, and magazine just sits wrong with me. Especially on a $800 dollar gun. Would it really have cost that much more to put in a metal shroud and triggerguard?

I'm ambivalent on the scope mounting system. The new systems saves on costs but once again they went cheap on the mounts. Or at least they look cheap.

Sako came so close to having a really special rifle but decided to nickel and dime it into a dud. The mounts could be a little better along with the stock. But those are easily changeable and most of us will anyway. A metal shroud and triggerguard are a must if you want the gun to look like it has any quality to it. If it had those two things, which shouldn't cost Sako much, the A7 would have a much more solid look. The rest would be gravy. Instead, I'd rather just buy a used 75 for just a little more.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
I fondled a A7 a few weeks back at our local SW. To me it was a Tikka T3 that you could load from the top, that was about it. Oh and it was $250 more than a T3. Felt about it just like I do about the Tikkas, too much plastic.
Posted By: battue Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
Just a thought. Don't blame Sako. I'm fairly sure the parent company Beretta is the one who made the final decision to use the plastic.

Beretta, while they make some excellent and fine shotguns and a company with a long firearms history-I think it is the longest privately held company at over 500years-is notorious for doing things on the cheap.

For whatever reason, it was not a great day for Sako when they sold out to Beretta.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
Some interesting comments above. I'm not defending my purchase of an A7, but rather I am musing about what exactly is wrong with it's concept.

New Blued Tikka's with glass stock sell from around $550. give or take $25.

New Stainless Tikka's are around $650. give or take.

New Sako 85's run $1200. and up, and up.

Used 75's are around $950. to $1050 or so.

Blued A7's $750. SS one's $850. or so.

So A7's are more expensive than their Tikka counterparts by $200. and less expensive than used Sako 75's by about the same amount. So are the A7's too cheap or too expensive.

The 75, even used, is a better gun for sure, and it is priced that way. The 85 is better yet and is priced as such. Is the A7 "better" than the Tikka? I don't know yet, but I do prefer a short action, rather than Tikka's one size fits all. And that is worth $200 to me, if not to you.

Are the weaver bases on the A7 cheap? I don't have my A7 in my hands yet, but if they are made out of Aluminum I would say YES. If they are steel bases, which is my understanding (and I may be wrong), what would posters like them made out of? And if they are steel, why change them. And how are steel weaver type bases cheap? Ever price Leupold MK 4 bases? Or how about IOR's weaver type bases for Sako 75's?

As far as the plastic trigger guard and magazine I guess I'm just jaded. I owned the original plastic wonder gun a Steyr Mannlicher Professional in 270 Win that I bought in 1988. It had a plastic stock, trigger guard and magazine. I think it retailed for around $750 even in the late 1980's. Now Steyr never sold a boat load of them, and it did have some funky styling, but I never heard a Steyr called a "cheap" gun. The now defunct Steyr SSG target/sniper rig was built the same way. All plastic, and very accurate. Their last retail price was over $2k. No, not cheap at all.

Now the A7 may be a dog, and it may turn out to be a cheap POS. Time will tell. And if you are a "blue steel and walnut" kind of guy, I would think that the A7's style would not appeal. But because something is different and it's not made the way they were made before, does not make it junk.

I was guilty of the same thinking when a small Austrian company released it's new plastic pistol in the 80's. I thought they were junk; I mean they were made out of figgin plastic, they just had to be junk. Today Glock owns the pistol shooting community. Sometimes junk can take you a long ways.

Regards to all,

Bob

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
My junky plastic Tikka Whitetail has been used and abused for 9 years now and it still outshoots any other rifle I have. I don't give a rats azz about looks, its only a tool to kill stuff to me. I also use and have found no fault in the optilocks, and the original sako rings that came with my pre garcia L61R. The optilocks, original rings, and even the rings that come standard with the T-3's ( I have 2) are still going strong with zero issues.

I think it takes some major cahones" to guarantee a 5 shoot sub moa grouping like Sako does for their A-7.
I would say that for a flatland deer hunter the Tikka/A7 would be great hunting rifles. They are generally good shooters and are nice and light. For me, miles into the backcountry in rugged terrain, away from any access to anything but whats in my pack, the plastic became a huge concern issue. Looking down at the bolt shroud that is busted off on my Tikka T3 300WM was worry some enough, makes you wonder WTF is gonna break next, triggerguard, magazine, bottom metal???? Selling all 4 Tikkas and buying a Kimber was much more satisfying, the Montana seems bulletproof compared to the T3's I owned. Different strokes for different folks.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I would say that for a flatland deer hunter the Tikka/A7 would be great hunting rifles. They are generally good shooters and are nice and light. For me, miles into the backcountry in rugged terrain, away from any access to anything but whats in my pack, the plastic became a huge concern issue. Looking down at the bolt shroud that is busted off on my Tikka T3 300WM was worry some enough, makes you wonder WTF is gonna break next, triggerguard, magazine, bottom metal???? Selling all 4 Tikkas and buying a Kimber was much more satisfying, the Montana seems bulletproof compared to the T3's I owned. Different strokes for different folks.

You have me chuckling; Flatland deer hunter, yup that be me!!!! Though I did spend 4 weeks in Alaska once, I wonder if that is like the Holiday Express thing???? And I understand your concern about plastic being in the back country miles away from the nearest Mickey D's much less a gunsmith.

But I did own a Kimber Montana once, in 7mm-08. I did not like it. It was light to carry, but a pain to shoot because for me, as it was too light. Hard to bench, hard to get shooting right, and I hated the blind magazine. I also thought that the bolt throw was gritty. I replaced it a Sako 75 Finnlight that I viewed as a better bargain. So YMMV. If I lived and hunted in Alaska, I might have felt differently. On the other hand if I lived and hunted in Alaska, I would likely get lost and die, flatlander that I be.

Thanks for your words,

Bob
Posted By: knight Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
I'm with AlaskaCub. I have dropped, or fallen on rifles enough to be scared of a plastic trigger guard(of all things I woudn't want plastic). Of course I often hunt in steep rocky terrain. The A7 may shoot extremely well, but for the same money you could buy an XCR.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/30/09
Originally Posted by knight
I'm with AlaskaCub. I have dropped, or fallen on rifles enough to be scared of a plastic trigger guard(of all things I woudn't want plastic). Of course I often hunt in steep rocky terrain. The A7 may shoot extremely well, but for the same money you could buy an XCR.

yeah but replacing a tikka with a kimber is blasphemy, you may trade plastic, but your trading it for poor fit and finish and spotty accuracy, I asked my smith about a kimber and he told me the last one he had in had the bore cut off center. many plastics are in some cases tougher than metal, I think I would rather have a plastic trigger guard than a pot metal one like what comes on a remington
Not looking to fight fellas, the only reason I used the Kimber as an example was the similar weight. A Tikka T3 Lite, the A7 and a Kimber Montana in a 300 WSM are all within an oz or 2 of each other. Theres lots of great guns out there, I have just decided that I'd prefer they not have a large make up of plastic components for the hunting I do.

My comment about flat landers was simply saying that if your looking for a deer hunting gun that will see little physical abuse and just needs to shoot accurately the Tikkas and A7 would be a good/great choice.

cumminscowboy...you asked a smith about a Kimber, well I own a Kimber as does the friend I sheep hunted with the past 2 seasons, and none of your "smiths" experience can be shared by us. So take some things you hear with a grain of salt.
AlaskaCub,

I was not offended about your flatlander comment, because your right I am one. I hunt today as the crow flies about 1/2 mile from my front door. If it wasn't for a river in between it and me I could walk to my deer stand.

In my younger years I hunted Northern Maine, Eastern Canada, Wyoming, and Africa with some regularity. Now I'm retired and pursue hunting in a more relaxed and lazy fashion.

My needs and yours are NOT the same. Nor will our equipment be the same. What you can do yearly with ease, what would cost me a fortune to do. I am just a little bit envious. Yours is a great state to live and work in. But only for the hardy, and I'm not sure I qualify.

Sorry for the off topic, and now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

Bob
Posted By: knight Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/31/09
I think I would rather have a plastic trigger guard than a pot metal one like what comes on a remington

Not me, but to each his own. I have seen way to many plastic parts, on all sorts of items break, to ever have enough faith in it for a trigger guard on my hunting rifle. I have never seen anything made of pot metal break. Here's to hoping that neither of us has to regret our decision.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/31/09
I don't really see how it makes sense to complain about plastic on the Tikka's or the Sako A7's. If you want all metal buy the Sako 85.............................DJ
Posted By: NathanL Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/31/09
If you shop around you can find NIB Sako 75's for about $125-$150 more than the A7 sells for (just under $1,000) in the wood version. I haven't priced any NIB 75's in synthetic stock so I dunno about those.

Just putting that out there as an option. Everyone has to draw the line somewhere or you'l be - well for $200 more I can have XXX and before you know it you're going for $200 more than YYY I can just get a total custom...see what I mean smile
Posted By: avagadro Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/31/09
I think I would rather have a plastic trigger guard than a pot metal one like what comes on a remington

The only NEW Remington I ever bought had a plastic trigger guard. (which I replaced).
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 experiences - 03/31/09
AlaskaCub, how do you know what kind of hunting I do?
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
Did I say that I knew what kind of hunting you did?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
Cub, you need to get a 300WSM Sako Finnlight and stick in a blind magazine Edge.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
I am working on something new right now, a M70 Featherweight.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
I think sako/tikka/berretta must have something against the 204, once again no 204 with the a7 and no varmint either, I can't find a 204 in any of the sako/tikka brands anywhere including on gunbroker, but they do make the 338 federal
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

AlaskaCub, read the first sentence. Is that because of where I live that the Tikka is so accurate, where I hunt, or what did you mean by that assinine statement?
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
I'm of the opinion that AC's statement was perfectly clear. Frankly it makes alot of sense to me. Probably because I hunt in very similar habitats and have very similar concerns.
BTW, the so called "pot metal" trigger guards and even a floorplate of aluminium alloy are alot tougher than many realize. I've seen a few FP's bent, but I've never seen an alloy TG broken. Neither has my local custom gun maker. A guy that specializes in very light Mtn Rifles, often magnums.
Steel TG's and FP's are to be prefered for such use. No doubt about it. But they do weigh quite a bit. The SS FP & TG on my M70 SA weigh right at 8 ozs. Not always the best choice. E
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/01/09
Originally Posted by Eremicus
BTW, the so called "pot metal" trigger guards and even a floorplate of aluminium alloy are alot tougher than many realize.

The same can be said of Tikka's "plastic"
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/02/09
E, as usual I could give a rats azz what you think.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/02/09
Assinine huh.....damn Raider chill out man, I am not attacking you! What I was referring to was the deer hunting that is done in most of the U.S., in which guys hunt out of a tree stand, ground blind, elevated blind, or just plain still hunting fields, prairies and thickets in fairly "FLAT" country. And are often not very far from a truck,4 wheeler, side by side, whatever. IME (yes I have hunted that kind of country) that kind of hunting can be done with any rifle, and its durability will not be tested the same way as some parts of the U.S., and Canada.

Little defensive are we?????
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/02/09
AlaskaCub, you've got E's endorsement, that ought to make you feel good. Adios amigo.
Posted By: knight Re: Sako A7 experiences - 04/03/09
Originally Posted by JGRaider
AlaskaCub, you've got E's endorsement, that ought to make you feel good. Adios amigo.

I think that you are yearning for AlaskaCub's endorsement. But hurt that he hasn't given it to you. Get over it. wink
© 24hourcampfire