Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just curious if anyone here is working with one, and or has.

Not too interested in hearing about why it's just an expensive T3 so if you don't mind hold off on that gack.

But, if you've spendt time with one (preferable shooting it) then please give me your thoughts.

Gracias

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey Mark, I have no experience but I think this a pretty good review.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Hunting_Gear_and_Products/Sako-A7-Review-09090804.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One in 270 would work!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Mark,

I did get to shoot a 270 win A7 and I really liked the gun, tried to get one in 25-06 all last year but no luck. Hopefully one will be available this summer (and I will again have a few extra bucks), I found the best price and great service at Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminister, CA..

Ted
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
A buddy has one in .300 WSM. His is a stainless synthetic model, the rifle is very accurate easily shooting MOA with the two different factory loads tried, it also has a great trigger and fit and finish looks fine. The good thing about the A-7 is you actually attach the bases to the receiver with genuine screws. The grooved receiver feature on the Sako 75/85 is really the only flaw I see in these rifles but for me it's a deal breaker I've sold all My Mod 85's account of this feature................547.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't it just an expensive T3? grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And to think I found about 5 cases of small rifle primers... shocked

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ouch...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I was in Whittaker's gun shop in KY last week. They had a bunch of A7's, including 25-06. They were nestled in amongst the T3's. I picked a few up and they felt very nice to me. While I have 3 T3's and have never been bothered by the long action thing, the A7 with short action was a nice feature.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rancho-how's my fav baby 7 doing?

Dober

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought some 154 Innerlocks yesterday.. Gonna give them a run with the Interbombs you gave up - over H1000, Magpro and H100v. Might go out today.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've gotta road trip to Dillon to look at some property otherwise I'd meet ya out there.

Shoot straight!

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 547
A buddy has one in .300 WSM. His is a stainless synthetic model, the rifle is very accurate easily shooting MOA with the two different factory loads tried, it also has a great trigger and fit and finish looks fine. The good thing about the A-7 is you actually attach the bases to the receiver with genuine screws. The grooved receiver feature on the Sako 75/85 is really the only flaw I see in these rifles but for me it's a deal breaker I've sold all My Mod 85's account of this feature................547.

I like the rail system, the tikka I have when used with factory rings was the truest system I have mounted a scope to, very strait, the tikkas also come with holes drilled and tapped so if you wanna run talley lightweights its not problem.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What's wrong with being an expensive T3?!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I can't speak for Tikka rifles as I have never owned one but I have read several horror stories about sako rifles right here on the good ol campfire that tell of scopes sliding off the grooved Sako receiver's. A guy said his scope came off while he was sliding his rifle back into a scabbard while on horse back and he watched in horror as his Zeiss scope bounced from rock to rock as it careened down into a gorge, and another story I can remember is from a PH in Africa....He wrote that he could remember several times that scopes slid off of Sako rifles while they were standing up in rack's in the back of trucks as they were driving through the bush....I know it's all in how you mount the scope but it don't take a "Rocket scientist" to figure out that this system can't be as secure as mounting your bases to the receiver using genuine screws with a dab of lok-tight (if desired)............547.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Actually the T3 is better and should cost more than the A-7 grin.................547.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 547
I know it's all in how you mount the scope but it don't take a "Rocket scientist" to figure out that this system can't be as secure as mounting your bases to the receiver using genuine screws with a dab of lok-tight (if desired)............547.

I think that you are wrong. Properly tightened the Sako system should be more secure than relying on 4 small screws. In general the fewer screws the better. I'd bet that there's a 100 rifles out there with loose base screws for every Sako that might have improperly tightened rings.

How many rifles have you seen with improperly drilled and tapped base mounting screws? I've seen Dozens. This can't happen with the Sako Dovetail.

The Sako Dovetails self tighten as the gun is fired. They also allow for windage adjustment so that a scope can be mounted in it's optical center. With the right rings you can have a dead solid mounting system that won't scratch your scope, won't move in recoil, be mounted on optical center and can be removed and reinstalled without changing zero. If the Dovetail mounting system was the standard and or more widely available people would be complaining about having to use separate bases held on by flimsy screws. The Dovetails are a superior mounting system that's just not what most US shooters are used to................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well said DJ, I too like sakos dovetail mounting system

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober,

I've only fondled a few at the local gun shop. I'd buy one in a 260... Err, I mean a Bob Improved laugh

I like the fact that they make it in a real short action

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by handwerk
Well said DJ, I too like sakos dovetail mounting system

I agree too - never had a problem with em. Just never ceases to amaze me how few people understand how the Sako Dovetail system works......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,827
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.