Home
Posted By: Lou_270 Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Hello All,

A single mom friend asked me to help pick out a deer rifle for her son. He's 16 and she wants to spend around $300. Being a hopeless gun trader, I tried to go down the route of let me find a "deal" on higher quaility, but she wants a new gun. Looking at guns out there in this range, it looksl like something along the lines of the Mossberg ATR100, Marlin XL7, or maybe the Stevens. Anybody have any experiences good or bad with these rifles? I'm probably looking for something in the .270, .308, or 7mm-08 class. The gun will be used for hunting deer/pigs/varmits in TX. I thought about the 336, but think the kid would want something a bit flatter shooting than .30-30 in a few years. Any other models out there I should consider?

Thanks,

Lou
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Talk her into $99 more and go for the Weatherby
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Talk her into $99 more and go for the Weatherby
That's an interesting thought. The vanguard takes remington 700 bases, right? I have a bunch of those laying around so would offset the cost somewhat.

Lou
Posted By: DJTex Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
The Stevens will shoot, as will a Howa. Not sure what you can find the Howa for, but might lean that way a bit, or not...Savage package rifle with an accutrigger is between 300-400 IIRC, sometimes a rebate or something might get it for $300 or so.

DJ
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I've been impressed enough with the X-7 Marlins since they came out.
They look much better and have more features than the Stevens and are significantly less expensive than a comparable Savage.
The Mossberg, not so much although I haven't shot one.
I've recommended the x-7's to several friends and they are all impressed with the accuracy and quality obtained.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I see you live in Dallas. Try to make it to a local Academy store. They have all the rifles mentioned (Marlin XL7,Howa/Weatherby, Mossberg, Stevens).

Personally, for $289, I think the Marlin is the best deal. The stock is nicer than the Stevens. The bluing is nicer than the Stevens (better polish). In 5 years, I think there will be all kinds of aftermarket support for this gun.

The Mossbergs are just cheap guns. Also, avoid the Remington 710/770's (the 700 is fine).

The Howa/Weatherby's are nice, but they run $400.

Also, the Academy stores have about the best prices I've seen on any of these guns (or at least within about $10). Don't feel like you have to waste a bunch of time running all over the Metroplex. The only place I've seen a better deal is when it comes to the Savage w/Accutrigger. If you decide on that, you're looking at around $390 at Wal-Mart. It'll be quite a bit more at Academy or Cabela's.

Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by DJTex
The Stevens will shoot, as will a Howa. Not sure what you can find the Howa for, but might lean that way a bit, or not...Savage package rifle with an accutrigger is between 300-400 IIRC, sometimes a rebate or something might get it for $300 or so.

DJ

I would lean more to the Savage , even if you find a used one without the Accutrigger. The Howa/Vanguard can be bought new for $399 at WM.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I would stay away from the Mossberg unless they have fixed the problem with the bolt coming loose, that is dangerous. For that amount of money I would recommend the Marlin XL or XS. The XS in 7-08 or 308 or the XL in 270. I don't know how big the 16 YO is but these calibers would fit the bill for most any 16 YO for Texas deer and then some.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I tend to focus on the custom and sporterized Mausers. If you want value, that's a great place to find some. Guy can have $2,000 into a gun and it still only sells for $500. $300ish can buy you a decent Mauser with some decent wood or just a synthetic stock.
Posted By: Iraklion Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Savage/Stevens 200 go for $270 in gunbroker...as do the Marlin XL-7's. Can be had in many chamberings also.
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
My wal-mart has a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag with a Bell and Carlson stock, tan with black webbing, it's going for $350.00 with a decent factory target also.

maybe you can find something like that?

Brett (Mac)
Posted By: TopCat Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
The Mossberg is a pos...the Marlin and Stevens are comparable... competent but cheaper designs... but another $50 buys a cnc machined 308 Howa with a forged one piece bolt and one piece recoil lug.

TC
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
ahhh women and utes

I'd rather have a used rifle anyday of the week.

but she won't listen heh?

can you get her to log on? these boyz will line her out
Posted By: federali Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
It's hard to say anything negative regarding your very wise caliber choices. I'm a 7mm-08 fan but the 270's reputation on deer-sized game, at any range, is so outstanding that you have to wonder why the gun companies keep pushing out new ultra-short, super short, super fat magnums, whose advantage over traditional rounds is largely abstract and theoretical. The .270 may have a slight trajectory advantage over the 7mm-08 for varmint hunting but not enough to matter for deer.

The 130 grain .270 bullet is the round that really puts the venison in the oven. More effective at greater ranges than most of us are competent to shoot.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
another option , nef handi rifle. i've seen lots of kids started out on these rifles and they are very inexpensive.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I have helped friends scope and zero both the Marlin XL-7 and the Stevens (both are chambered in .270 WIN). My view of the two is that both are a lot of rifle for the money and well built to last over the long haul. Unless the kid becomes a rifle looney he will be able to use either one of those for the rest of his hunting life.
I myself couldn't spend $300 and expect a rifle to be dependable for long, or expect great QC. I would personally suggest she save an additional $150-200 and tell her to buy something a little nicer that might last a while longer.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Under the parameters you are working with, I would no doubt be looking to pick up a Marlin. My consternation would be as to whether it ended up being a .308 or a .270. The .308 might allow him to practice more economically, but it sort of comes down to personal preference. Some folks just won't have it unless it is a .270. I could work with either and be content.
Posted By: LNF150 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by srwshooter
another option , nef handi rifle. i've seen lots of kids started out on these rifles and they are very inexpensive.

Not trying to jack this thread, but has anyone heard of any bad things with a handi rifle (besides having a club for a stock)??? Because this would be an option for this 16 year old with no more $$$ involved, then as he gets older and has his own money, he can buy any gun he wants. One CF member not long ago said he sighted in his BIL's 270 handi and was impressed with the accuracy. I've got a friend who's 14 yr old dot kills KS whitetails with her 243 handi (has yet to miss a deer anyway). I have zero experience with those rifles, but if they are really accurate, then a young hunter isn't going to complain or at least I wouldn't have if it was given to me.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by Glocked_N_Loaded
I myself couldn't spend $300 and expect a rifle to be dependable for long, or expect great QC. I would personally suggest she save an additional $150-200 and tell her to buy something a little nicer that might last a while longer.

For $300 you can get a very reliable rifle - new. I bought my son-in-law a Savage .30-06 for that price as a wedding present. The Stevens are even less (basiclally a Savage without much attention to cosmetics) and the Marlin X-7s are quite nice. I expect any of them will last a lifetime and then some.
Posted By: TDMax Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I know it's been labeled a sub-par gun, but there are Remington 770 scoped packages running for $319 after rebate.

Posted By: 43 2N Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
$300 limit on a new gun? Marlin or Stevens.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
The Marlin XL or XS 7s have gotten consistently strong reviews from actual owners/users. They're not stone ugly, they shoot very accurately out of the box and they're within the budget you are have. Also, they are available in a respectable variety of calibers. The Howas usually are priced higher as are the Vanguards. They are the same rifle with a different roll stamp. The Marlin is more rifle than the Stevens. I'm thinking about picking the Marlin in 25-06 as a matter of principle. Rooster
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by 43 2N
$300 limit on a new gun? Marlin or Stevens.

I'd take the Marlin over the Stevens. You get more for your money. Better pad and trigger to start.

Posted By: Pa_MT_man Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I don't have any experience with the marlins. I own three savages and they all three shoot lights out with my reloads. One of them in 22-250 a stevens will shoot fatory 55 grain remmy psp at .75 moa all day long. I'd go with the 7mm-08 I seen quite a few of our Pa whitetail take a big smackdown with that round. My father-in-law has been crumbling them with it for years.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Just plain avoid the Mossberg. Mossberg has a history of short production runs on models, and no support for them when they quite making them. Marlin, not so sure, they make some forever, some not. The Stevens / Savage has been around forever and will definitely have aftermarket support forever.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop have offered the very excellent Marlin XL-7 and XS-7 for around $280 a couple different times during 2009.

NOMB, but with so little public land in TX, where is the kid going to hunt?

Jeff
Posted By: ChipM Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
My buddy just bought the Marlin in 308. It is alot of gun for the money and very accurate right out of the box. I wish they made the youth in a lefty version as I would buy my son one in a second. My vote is for a Marlin in 7mm-08 or 270.
Posted By: dougwx12 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I have a vanguard/howa and a marlin xl-7. The howa's are pretty heavy compared to the marlins. I'd go with the marlin for your purpose.
Posted By: CraigCollier Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by fburgtx

The Mossbergs are just cheap guns. Also, avoid the Remington 710/770's (the 700 is fine).

I know nothing of the newer 770, but I can vouch for the accuracy and quality of the 710 considering its price.

I have a 710 in .270 that I bought from a coworker last year. It had only been run through about 100 rounds total between the range and hunting. The guy had a album of pictures showing the things he had killed with that rifle. Everything from coyotes to hogs to deer.

I bought that gun from him and never took it too the range, going on his current sight in of 150 yards. Last year I dropped 2 deer in their tracks with 2 shots. Both shots hit exactly where I was aiming. I sat for 2 hours in freezing rain with the rifle and never had a problem with it when I shot one of those 2 deer.

This year, I took a small button buck at 80 yards with a neck shot. Dead center neck, right where I was aiming.

I know alot of people talk trash about this gun; but I have to step in and defend it from my own personal point of view. I've hunted with a Rem 700 for years up until it was stolen and I think, for the price, the 710 is comparable.

As long as it shoots, and shoots accurately, it should be a fine starter rifle.

Once again, I cannot comment on the 770 and thus I have no idea of the differences between the 2.

This is my 710 .270 that I custom painted:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

For $300 you can get a very reliable rifle - new. I bought my son-in-law a Savage .30-06 for that price as a wedding present. The Stevens are even less (basiclally a Savage without much attention to cosmetics) and the Marlin X-7s are quite nice. I expect any of them will last a lifetime and then some.

Oh I'm certain one could, just in my weird little mind I think of the saying "You get what you pay for", you pay $300 don't expect more than $300 worth out of it. Stupid I know as I have zero experience with Marlin or Stevens, just the way I have to justify the nicer things I guess.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
I've owned a 710 in 30-06 that was a good shooter, but having owned a Marlin XS-7 and shot a couple of Marlin XL-7s, I can tell you from persona experience that the Marlin is a much better rifle than the Remington 710 series. Better than or equal to in every catagory that you could judge or grade.

Jeff
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Originally Posted by LNF150
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Not trying to jack this thread, but has anyone heard of any bad things with a handi rifle (besides having a club for a stock)??? Because this would be an option for this 16 year old with no more $$$ involved, then as he gets older and has his own money, he can buy any gun he wants. One CF member not long ago said he sighted in his BIL's 270 handi and was impressed with the accuracy. I've got a friend who's 14 yr old dot kills KS whitetails with her 243 handi (has yet to miss a deer anyway). I have zero experience with those rifles, but if they are really accurate, then a young hunter isn't going to complain or at least I wouldn't have if it was given to me.

I can't compain about the accuracy, I picked up a very roughly treated 223 handrifle (couldn't pass it up for $70), cut a new crown on it, filed off the dings, steel wooled off the rust and put on some iron sights (the originals were broken off). It'll print 3 shots into 1" at 100 yds, with relatively crude iron sights!

I don't like the ergonomics of the gun, and the stock design causes the rifle to produce more recoil than guns with better stock designs. My biggest complaint is the ejector has very little leverage. If you have a load that is slightly on the hot side, the gun won't eject the case, and you'll need a cleaning rod to get the case out. Loads that function fine, with no pressure signs, in a rem 700 and an ar-15 will stick on occasion in the handi rifle. Also when you scope a handi rifle it is difficult to cock the rifle, and I don't like the hammer extensions.

To the op, I'd try and convince the mom to let you find him a nice used rifle.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
Thanks for all the input so far. I looked over the marlin, mossberg, & vangaurd over lunch. It will probably be the marlin everything considered.

Somebody asked where the kid is going to hunt. I have a lease and will try and pull some strings there. Typically no guests, but the guys like kids and may be willing for an exception so long as what he shoots counts toward my limit. I also have a couple of other connections with some property that I never asked for myself, but will try with the kid. If that doesn't work will look the public land route though may have to wait for next year for that one.

Thanks Again,

Lou
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/19/09
$300 limit on a new gun?

She knows she's going to need a scope too, right?
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
$300 limit on a new gun?

She knows she's going to need a scope too, right?

Yes. I will probably donate one.

Lou
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a 710 in 30-06 that was a good shooter, but having owned a Marlin XS-7 and shot a couple of Marlin XL-7s, I can tell you from persona experience that the Marlin is a much better rifle than the Remington 710 series. Better than or equal to in every catagory that you could judge or grade.

Jeff

If someone gave me a 710 or 770 it would get traded very quickly. Not my cup of tea, and I've looked at them both.

The best deals I've found are used rifles. My M700BDL in .308 Win is a tack driver and cost me $350 used. Looks like new.
Posted By: Aileinduinn Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Mossberg: Have heard some pretty bad things. Normally that wouldn't phase me, but the absence of any glowing reviews is a concern.

Savage/Stevens: Ugly rifles that shoot lights-out straight out of the box.

Howa: Gonna be harder to find one within budget unless it is on sale.

Marlin: XL-7 gets some good reviews and a few bad. I have never owned a Marlin that wasn't fun to shoot. And by that I mean, they have always been as accurate as I am offhand.

Handi-rifle: I like em. Drawback, single shot. Bonus, You could put a pretty fair set of glasses on it and stay under budget.

Remington SP1 International: Another single shot, but a stylistic one that comes with irons attached. (if that's worth anything)

Posted By: moore Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
i just bought the 399 weatherby in 257 wby mag i love it cant beat it 4 the money
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Start the boy off right with a quality rifle. She has 300.00, she only needs another 250.00 for a new Hawkeye in say, 7mm-08 or 308 Win. I'd suggest a 257 Roberts, but factory ammunition is mostly crap.

25 people kick in $10 a piece and we'll make a boy a man in a hurry. At least get him headed in the right direction. I'll kick in $20.00
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
We always adopt a family at work, and pick an angle in the mall at Christmas. I'd rather help out a mother wanting to buy her son a rifle. Tis the season to be Jolly.
Posted By: Iraklion Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09

I would in a heartbeat. Like I said I would put my stevens/Savages up against just about anything. Especially where accuracy ic concerned.
Posted By: raybass Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Marlin XL-7 is the answer, quality gun for the money.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Originally Posted by 257Deland
We always adopt a family at work, and pick an angle in the mall at Christmas. I'd rather help out a mother wanting to buy her son a rifle. Tis the season to be Jolly.

if you can get the other 23-24 or whatever it is we need, I'll certainly pony up a ten spot for a good cause
Great idea! I'd be up for it. Perhaps the community could make this a monthly or bi-monthly thing even. Deserving kids are submitted with short stories and the community chips in or donates to help out, even if for no other time than the holidays, it's not the kids fault.
Posted By: stumpy Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
I expect my Stevens will last forever. Same 110 action that has been around forever.
Stock is pathetic looking, but still works. I would worry more about the rings, scope and ammo than any Savage failing.

stumpy
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
I'm in for $10 also.

Come on gang, lets get this kid going in the right direction.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
I'm in, and am an FFL, did we decide what we are getting the kid for Christmas?
Posted By: nyskt100 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
A guy from our Fish and Game Club just picked up an XL-7 in .308. Shot great with only factory 150gr Core-Lokt's. I've seen two others with long actions have the same results. Not sure how they hold up in the long run but as far as first impression, it looked pretty good.
Should we start a new thread looking for donations for this kid's christmas present? We've got at least $30 or so committed here.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
You guys are great. I of course would be in. I can do a running sum. I put list based on the "I'm ins" in the thread. So long as Mom is ok with it and comfortable I would just give her paypal/address to stay out of middle.

257Deland - 20
1akhunter - 10
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10
358Norma_fan - 10
exbiologist - 10
Lou270 - 20

Once we see where we are at, I can start a thread to vote on what model/caliber (Sean is 5'5 and 150 lbs without much centerfire experience, though I can help with that). I think Ruger Hawkeye's are going around 600. I just saw TC Venture(?) in .270 that looked like a solid gun for ~450 at bass pro.

Thanks,

Lou

Posted By: DMB Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/20/09
Originally Posted by Brett00Mac
My wal-mart has a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag with a Bell and Carlson stock, tan with black webbing, it's going for $350.00 with a decent factory target also.

maybe you can find something like that?

Brett (Mac)

WOW,

That is a great buy.
Local Wal-Mart doesn't have anything like that.
I've also read some good posts by guys shooting Savage/Stevens rifles.
I have two Vangurads and think they are "best out of box" for accuracy available. HOWA is the same rifle dressed differently.
I can supply a Venture for about $375 in .270 or .30-06.
Or a Stevens in about any caliber in the low 3s. Plus if I shipped it to your FFL you wouldn't have to pay him the crazy Texas 8% sales tax.
Otherwise, just let me know where to send my $10.
kid's gonna need a scope too
Posted By: runninmike Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
I would think a lot of the stores in TX would have the package deals with scope & sling like this one here locally...

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal....p;pagenumber=3&listingid=-2088642711
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
I think the boy would be better equiped with a $300 rifle and $300 scope, than a $550 rifle and a $50 scope.
Posted By: tommygs Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
i'm in for $20. lemme know where to send the $. just pm me. trusting y'all on this, but i'll forward a money order (blank).

-tom
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
Looks like we are around 480. Given exbiologists kind offer for 375 for venture, plus shipping/local FFL fees it would be something over 400. If there's not enough for a decent scope ($200 would get a FFII or lower end Leupold 3-9) I can lend him something he can use this year. I have a Leupold VXII 2-7 that I can take off a shotgun. I also have an older 3-9 Redfield that he can have, though I don't remember what kind of shape it's in.

I'll be online for a bit longer, but going to lease tonight so won't be back until Sunday probably. Will hopefully be able to talk lease manager into bringing kid on after a few beers and losing at poker Saturday night:)

Lou
Posted By: deputynrc Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
Just found this one on gunbroker (Item #147109349)
It is a 30-06 and under $300
So we really going to get this together? We need someone to take ownership of the responsibility if we are and organize this. Lou would be my suggestion. I know we have more people willing to donate than this, even $5.00, it isn't much but when you mulitply by how many active participants in these forums you have it most riki tik.
Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
I've got $20 burning a hole in my PayPal account.

PS: my vote's for a Marlin XS or a handi-Rifle.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/21/09
Glocked N Loaded - I will take responsibility of organizing. This is list I have so far:

257Deland - 20
1akhunter - 10
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10
358Norma_fan - 10
exbiologist - 10
Lou270 - 20
tommygs-20
Junior1942-20

I will PM my address/paypal to each on the list. I'm out of town after Wed of next week so will keep it active until then. I will front whatever money we come up with and give it to her. I will also make sure to post some pics of the process so you all can share in the fun.

We are up to ~520 now (incl 400 start). Now we are in the range of a Marlin xl7 with a FFII. Exbiologist said he could get a TC Venture for 375 and I see Vanguards for 399 so we are in this range as well. I looked at the Venture at basspro and it looked like a very solid rifle for the money. I also had good luck with TC products in past so am kind of leaning this way. Anybody have any experiences?

I sent Deborah an email and here is her response:

Lou,

OMG!!!! Are you kidding me! I am so very touched by all of this. WOW!! I am so interested. In these tough times its hard to believe that people are able to give but I guess there are angles everywhere.
Well, now ain't that something! grin I know we can get a few more people to come out of pocket for a good cause. C'mon people, I don't even know this kid, his story, or the situation, but I do know it's the holidays and to get something like this that this kid may carry with him for a lifetime and pass down to his kids is something special. Let's at least get it to $600.
Posted By: tommygs Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
lou, i'll send you a money order, i don't trust paypal or the trolls that lurk thereby. pm me with you physical or mailing address. also, if you guys choose a .30-06, i'll forward a couple boxes of .30 US ammo via u.s. mail or fedex to the address for practice.

no, i don't think a beginner should hunt with 150gr hardballers, but he needs some range time first, and that should give him enough brass for a start into reloading. which will be necessary on a tight budget. lee loaders are great for beginners, and cheap to boot.

-tom
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
Lou
Will get 20 in the mail monday if you PM me an address.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
Updated list. I will PM those with mailing address:

257Deland - 20
1akhunter - 10
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10
358Norma_fan - 10
exbiologist - 10
Lou270 - 20
tommygs-20
Junior1942-20
Cheesy - 20

Lou
Updated list. I will PM those with mailing address:

257Deland - 20
1akhunter - 10
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10
358Norma_fan - 10
exbiologist - 10
Lou270 - 20
tommygs-20
Junior1942-20
Cheesy - 20

Lou
Ok - I think I got PM out to everybody. I am going to be out of town from Thurs 11/25 to 12/5. I will send confirmations as I recieve funds, but some might have to wait until I get back. Up to about 540 now. I think I am going with TC Venture in .270 and am hoping we can get to being able to put Leupold Rifleman or Burris FFII to go on top (~575-600). .30-06 isn't out of question, but I'm a bit leary of too much recoil.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
.270 will kill everything that needs killing, though I did get my boy an '06.

he's 6'4" and skinny, he's learned to snug that thing before touching off the trigger.

though I've no input on what to get the kid, let those that know him decide that.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
I'm no math whiz, but that list of pledges looks pretty short of $500. Were we adding to mom's $300 or are there people who didn't want to be ID'd?
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
Is the T/C Venture that nice of a rifle? If we can hold off a couple more weeks, might be able to raise enough money to buy the boy a Hawkeye (less than $600 shipped Gunbroker), or something similar (Remington SPS $551 shipped Gunbroker). Ruger, no extra money for base(s) and rings. For the money, you can't beat a Ruger 77. Makes no sense to me buying an entry level rifle. Why not hold off a little while longer, and buy the better rifle? If he doesn't get the scope now, no big deal. I have a K4 Weaver I'll donate. Buy the boy a rifle he'll use for a lifetime.
Originally Posted by Lou_270
Glocked N Loaded - I will take responsibility of organizing. This is list I have so far:

257Deland - 20
1akhunter - 10
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10
358Norma_fan - 10
exbiologist - 10
Lou270 - 20
tommygs-20
Junior1942-20

I will PM my address/paypal to each on the list. I'm out of town after Wed of next week so will keep it active until then. I will front whatever money we come up with and give it to her. I will also make sure to post some pics of the process so you all can share in the fun.

We are up to ~520 now (incl 400 start). Now we are in the range of a Marlin xl7 with a FFII. Exbiologist said he could get a TC Venture for 375 and I see Vanguards for 399 so we are in this range as well. I looked at the Venture at basspro and it looked like a very solid rifle for the money. I also had good luck with TC products in past so am kind of leaning this way. Anybody have any experiences?

I sent Deborah an email and here is her response:

Lou,

OMG!!!! Are you kidding me! I am so very touched by all of this. WOW!! I am so interested. In these tough times its hard to believe that people are able to give but I guess there are angles everywhere.

Start money is at $400 not $300?

Start money is $400. I was adding the 2 together to get total amount. I really like Ruger, but I was impressed when I looked at the Venture. It looked to me to be in the class of the Remington/Ruger (at least from quality standpoint), certainly a step above the marlin/mossberg/savage package guns. The only thing I didn't care for was the polymer magazine.

Lou
Posted By: johnw Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
lou 270,

i'm good for a small amount to help with the purchase of a rem 700 for the kid... and i'd leave it to you to explain about the campfire to his mom...
others may care to join this effort as well...

PM me if you think it will work....

edit; offer extends to ruger purchase as well...
Posted By: johnw Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
Start the boy off right with a quality rifle. She has 300.00, she only needs another 250.00 for a new Hawkeye in say, 7mm-08 or 308 Win. I'd suggest a 257 Roberts, but factory ammunition is mostly crap.

25 people kick in $10 a piece and we'll make a boy a man in a hurry. At least get him headed in the right direction. I'll kick in $20.00

just read more of the thread and i applaud the initiative... count me in for anything that is started...
We need a running total of what we have so we can figure what is need to go to get a Hawkeye or a Remington 700. I know we can get a few more to chip in $5 or $10 a piece. I told my wife of this and she wants to put in $10 herself and she has never seen this site, so put me down for $20 total. We are by no means wealthy people, we live paycheck to paycheck like most, and have a son of our own. It's all about karma and I can't think of a better way I'd rather spend $20 of my hard earned money, I'd just spend it on going out to eat if I didn't donate it so it's a win-win situation. Wish this was a sticky.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/22/09
I'm in for $20. Be sure to get a good scope, too.

Please send me the particulars on how/where to send the $20.

--shinbone
Just got price on Hawkeye and it's 542. We are at 580 which would get the Hawkeye, but no scope or Venture with ~200 scope. I have until Wed and then will be out of town. Let us see where we are at on Tues to finalize.

Base 400
257Deland - 20 20
1akhunter - 10 20
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10 20
358Norma_fan - 10 10
exbiologist - 10 10
Lou270 - 20 20
tommygs-20 20
Junior1942-20 20
Cheesy - 20 20
shinbone 20

total 580
Like I said in a previous post, I'll donate the K4 Weaver. He can use that until buys something else. Had the Weaver on one of my 22's. It's a nice scope.

You'll have time to finalize after you get back (12-5?). Keep the post on top and lets keep getting pledges. May be able to get him a nice scope too. If not, I'll send the Weaver.
257Deland - I agree will probably have time to finalize after I get back. I can get a much better deal shipped vs locally and am worried about cutting it too close for Christmas. Looks like with combined money there is enough for Ruger and if no more I have scope to loan as well. Ruger opens up other caliber choices (7mm-08) though wouldn't want to get too complicated so ammo doesn't get too expensive for him in future.

Lou
My vote would be for a 257 Roberts in the Hawkeye. There are a couple of good factory loads available. If he ever got into handloading there aren't many factory offerings easier to improve on than the 257 Roberts.

Who am I kidding, get him a 7mm-08, or a 308 and he'll be set.

I'll send the money tomorrow. You know we'll need to see pictures from Christmas morning. We have to have pictures.
just sent you more than i promised.

i personally vote for the n.e.f. handi-rifle in .30 us. it just works. every time. plinking ammo can be had inexpensively from the cmp, and you can re-use the brass.

get whatever the kid needs. but PICTURES FROM CHRISTMAS MORNING are a must. for real.

-tom
ttt
Updated total.

Base 400
257Deland - 20 20
1akhunter - 10 20
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10 20
358Norma_fan - 10 10
exbiologist - 10 10
Lou270 - 20 20
tommygs-20 20
Junior1942-20 20
Cheesy - 20 20
shinbone 20
johnw 20

total 600
ttt

no capiche. perhaps "tut, tut, tut..."

pretty funny for a guy that doesn't shoot a .30....

cool
To the Top= ttt
Posted By: whsk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
the final answer is easy-Marlin XL7-your choice on caliber-my choice would be the 270-you would have money left for a good scope-my XL7C 270 shoots about everything well and its favorite handload into 1/2 inch or less repeatedly! this rifle is out of the box stock and shoots as good or better than any rifle i own!
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
A couple years ago several folks on this Forum generously donated hunting clothing, boots, gear, and ammo for my three teenage nephews.

It was greatly appreciated, and meant a great deal to them as it enable all three of them to go hunting, which they had never done before.

So, my vote is to take the $$ collected and purchase this young man the best rifle for the money. Something that will last him throughout his life...

** I'll donate a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Matte Post & Duplex scope I have laying around collecting dust. **

Let me know what caliber the young man ends up with, and I'm sure I can scrounge up a box or two of ammo as well.

Lou,

PM me the young man's name and mailing addy and I'll get the scope out in the mail this week.
Wowzers, nice contribution! That's a helluva nice scope for the young man to start with or keep for the long haul! So there's now $600 for the rifle itself? That's what I'm talking about, that ought to open alot of doors.
Posted By: joe6555 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
There is a NIB Ruger in .257 Bob on the classifieds for trade. Maybe he would sell for a good price for a cause like this.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
Wow! Let me get a hold of Deborah and I'll get you the address. Calling now to give her the news.

Lou
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
Ok, so just got off the phone with crying mom:) She's just blown away at the generosity and I will get her on here eventually. She said expect lots of pictures!. She said Sean asks her every day about a gun and she told him she's been talking to me, but not sure she can afford one. I asked her if he knows anything about calibers or what he wants and she said he was asking her if I was looking for a .270 or .30-06(smart kid:)). I asked her to poke around a bit more (stainless or blue, caliber) and she will let me know tomorrow. You guys rock!

Lou
Posted By: tommygs Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
m.o. is in the mail baby. let's get another one started.

i challenge steelhead to donate a dollar.

-tom
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
I think that the Xmas present idea is good hearted but misses the point. I think that staying within moms budget is a good lesson for a teenager. The $300 will buy a very usable deer hunting rifle that with care can last a lifetime. The savage action has been around for a very long time. It is a strong reliable action made of the same steel as most of the other rifles made in this country. OK maybe it isn't as pretty but for a 16 YO we are not talking about snob appeal. The jury is still out on the Marlin but it looks good so far. We are talking about a lesson in life which is more valuable than any rifle he could buy. Not everyone has the where with all to buy the very best
all of the time. I guarantee you that 16 YO will be just as thrilled with a $300 rifle for Xmas as a 700, Hawkeye, Howa etc.
Let him learn to live with what he got.
I see where you're coming from but my wife was at one time a single mom and I can tell you that it isn't easy. This more than likely isn't a budget she set because she wanted, but is the budget she could afford. If we as a community can help this lady out and give her son the Christmas of his dreams, if she can see that pride is his eyes, and we can take a little pressure off of her if not for but a day, I'd say we'd be silly not to. His other friends probably have 2 parents with a bigger budget who have nicer rifles, maybe this kid deserves to experience the same pride. He might have a child one day and pass it down to his with a nice story to tell also. I'm in full bore.
Posted By: johnw Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I guarantee you that 16 YO will be just as thrilled with a $300 rifle for Xmas as a 700, Hawkeye, Howa etc.
Let him learn to live with what he got.

i'm guessing that, like most sons of single moms, he's learned a lesson or 2 about budgets already...

my goal is for him to learn the lesson that there is adult male encouragement to be found for a young guy who wants to hunt.....
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
Sure take the load off and give him a $300 rifle - within moms budget. He will be just as happy. And there's no reason he can't pass this rifle to his son or daughter with pride. I bought a Savage 110 on a managers sale at K-Mart in 270 for $250 for my sons first rifle, took his first antelope and mule deer with this rifle. Its dull blue with the beech wood stock. Ain't pretty but it shoots 150 NPT into less than inch. But he was proud as a peacock. I am sure my grand children will use this rifle to take there first game. Shoots better that the $600 Rem SPS SS 257 Roy that I recently bought and haven't found a load that will shoot under 1.5" heck most are over 2". Teach him that pride comes with ownership not with a particular brand. How about a book on gun care and how and where to shoot game.
Posted By: johnw Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Sure take the load off and give him a $300 rifle - within moms budget. He will be just as happy. And there's no reason he can't pass this rifle to his son or daughter with pride. I bought a Savage 110 on a managers sale at K-Mart in 270 for $250 for my sons first rifle, took his first antelope and mule deer with this rifle. Its dull blue with the beech wood stock. Ain't pretty but it shoots 150 NPT into less than inch. But he was proud as a peacock. I am sure my grand children will use this rifle to take there first game. Shoots better that the $600 Rem SPS SS 257 Roy that I recently bought and haven't found a load that will shoot under 1.5" heck most are over 2". Teach him that pride comes with ownership not with a particular brand. How about a book on gun care and how and where to shoot game.

you can respond to this kids need in whatever degree and manner that you choose...
please allow others to do the same....
Originally Posted by johnw

you can respond to this kids need in whatever degree and manner that you choose...
please allow others to do the same....

Well said... you chose to not donate, that's your choice, but try and not let the air out of the balloon for the rest of us. Don't be a party pooper.
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
A memory that a mother and son will share forever.

This idea has snow balled into something awesome. A lot a thoughtful souls around the Campfire, glad to be part of it.

Smart boy wanting a 270 or a 30-06. Flip a coin, can't go wrong with either.
Posted By: TDMax Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
I too think that this has become something awesome.

How about a little equity from the kid himself? Does he have a job? Put together a nice rifle, but the INCENTIVE is that he should get to work and earn at least part of the money necessary to top it off or whatever optics "Uncle Lou" decides. Or if the donated scope is used, tell him he needs to raise $100 or some arbitrary figure.

Some may agree or disagree, but when I was a kid I had to do this. I'm up for a contribution, but feel there should be some equity involved even if it's doing yard work for "Uncle Lou" It seems to me I see less and less teens out working these days. I'd hate to see it affect school work, but I think it's an important life lesson.

Then again I started with a H&R topper model 20 gauge and slugs that cost a whopping $40 new...
Posted By: cal74 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
I think this is a great thing a lot of you are doing and my hats off to the generous donation of the Leupold. Also give the mom a lot of credit for doing what she's doing.

I do hope the kid appreciates this and it's something he'll forever hold on to. As stated in the post above this, way to many kids don't really work for anything they have these days and have no appreciation for anything, it's just expected. Sincerely hope that this young man isn't like that and every time he brings this rifle out he says a silent thank you to his mom and all of you that are making this possible.

As for rifles, my vote would be for a Hawkeye in 7mm-08
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
Hawkeye 30-06 or even a Weatherby would should be a thrill for him. Let me know if you need another $10
Posted By: Grainraiser Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
My first post here and I noticed the OP is in the DFW area. The Walmart in Rockwall has a Weatherby 30-06 on clearance for $350. It has the desert tan with black webbing stock on it. They also have it in a 300 win but I figure that is to much gun for the fellow. This is the store located right off I-30. Just thought I would put his information out there.

Reggie
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09

I have a TC Venture in 270 and for the money it's a GREAT shooter. I can consistently shoot umder.5 moa Trigger is adjustable and it's made in the Good OLD USA:)
TC is making some very accurate bolt actions in the Icon and Venture. I don't understand why they don't get more interest.

Bill/WI

I just saw TC Venture(?) in .270 that looked like a solid gun for ~450 at bass pro.

Thanks,

Lou

[/quote]
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/23/09
I am in for 10 dollars let me know where to send it.

Bill/WI

PS .I still vote for the TC Venture..:)and a good scope. The gun is well made and shots like a laser:)I have one:)

Pick whatever works. This is a fantastic idea !!
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/24/09
Some more folks joined in. Below is updated list. If you haven't got the PM, let me know. I believe should have decision today or tomorrow on which way to go. I'm on work conference calls all night so have not had a chance to talk to Deborah.

Base 400
257Deland - 20 20
1akhunter - 10 20
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10 20
358Norma_fan - 10 10
exbiologist - 10 10
Lou270 - 20 20
tommygs-20 20
Junior1942-20 20
Cheesy - 20 20
shinbone 20
johnw 20
TDL 20
Marshhawk 10
As to comments about having kid earn it, don't worry he will. Finding a place to hunt in TX is difficult. There is some public land outside of lottery draw, but it's not all that close to DFW and especially difficult if you don't have hunting adult to go with you. Most guys have signficant money tied up in lesaes which often have very restrictive rules on guests (the situation I am in though seeing what i can do).

I have worked out arrangement with a buddy of mine who just bought a place for him and his boy to hunt. It's not big by TX standards (140 acres), but is in good county (Jack) fairly close to metroplex. The house/cabin on the place needs work plus needs some setup for blinds, etc... and I asked my buddy if the boy could trade some labor for some deer hunting and he said ok. It won't last forever, but will get the boy a start (I will go with him as non-hunter). Hoping this will give him a foundation and some confidence for later in life when he can do more on his own.

Lou
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/24/09
Lou-didnt get an address, PM me and ill get it in the mail.

My vote is a Hawkeye, wood, 257 roberts or .270 Winchester.

A lot of lessons could be taken from this, one is working in a budget, appreciating what you've got, working for what you want (I was 13, worked all summer mowing yards and spent the fall picking up black walnuts to buy my first deer rifle), but in this case the lesson learned is that people are inherently good, willing to look out for others.
I just got off the phone with Deborah and she said they went to Basspro to look (ruger 77, Remington 700, TC Venture, Marlin, Savage) and the 2 Sean really liked were the #1 Savage Weather Warrior and #2 TC Venture and he wanted a .270 (which is good, because I have lots of .270 ammo/reloading stuff:). Venture I'm familar with, but not the Savage. She also wants everybodies address so please PM me.

Lou
Lou, expect my donation either today or tomorrow.
OK guys. Per my other messages I asked Deborah to poke around with Sean to see if she could tell what he liked. They "happened" to be in the neighborhood of basspro. Apparently the boy has been doing some reading/daydreaming as she said he went up and started bantering with guy at gun counter like he knew what he was talking about. This is a boy who has no hunting relatives, no dad at home, but an extraordinary mom and happened to catch the bug when he went with a friend and dad when he was 10 years old and wanted to go ever since (of which I didn't know until Deborah asked me to help find him a gun). Deb told me he wanted a new deer rifle instead of PS3 this year if he had a choice for Christmas. Any case, he fondled the various models (ruger, remington, savage, marlin, tc) and he came away liking the Savage & TC Venture. I talked to Deb about it and told her my thoughts (I of course pushed Ruger a bit, but she said he just didn't like them). In the end, the final decision is TC Venture in .270 Winchester. These are around 450 locally and will check back with exbiologist on his price. The 400 baseline was actually 300 when I started with Deb and she said she might get 100 from his father though not sure she was ever able to. To everybody here you have truly done a wonderful thing. Expect pictures and I will continue to post updates.

Lou

This is the new list:

Base 400
257Deland - 20 20
1akhunter - 10 20
Glocked_N_Loaded - 10 20
358Norma_fan - 10 10
exbiologist - 10 10
Lou270 - 20 20
tommygs-20 20
Junior1942-20 20
Cheesy - 20 20
shinbone 20
johnw 20
TDL 20
Marshhawk 10
Dakotakid 20
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/24/09
ttt
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Hi Guys I contacted Vortex Optics here in Wisconsin.I told them what was going on and forwarded them the link in the email.

I asked them about a discount on a scope. Not sure what they have in mind but here is what I got back. I hope no one thinks I overstepped any boundaries here. I thought maybe they would like to help out. They are definitely an excellent optics company that makes an EXCELLENT product.

I have a pair of their binos and they are first class glass:)

Bill aka Marshhawk

Hello Bill

Thanks for the email and thinking of Vortex. I passed this onto a couple of my coworkers and we should have an answer for you tomorrow morning. I think it safe to say he'll have a Vortex scope on his rifle at Christmas.

Thanks again for considering us!

Take care,
Tim Austin
Vortex Optics
2120 W. Greenview Drive,
Middleton, WI 53562
800-426-0048 ext 304
Fax 608-662-7454

Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Bill,

You are not overstepping bounds since kindness has no bounds. I guess you missed my other PM, but another gent donated a Leupold VXII to the cause and is sending it to the boy. Not quite sure where to go from here, but am just amazed at the generosity being displayed here. Maybe if Vortex is still up for it, we could find another home?

Lou
Several folks have sent some updates. If I missed you let me know. Donations total is up to 275, plus Leupold VXII, potentially another scope, and gun at cost.

257Deland 20
1akhunter 20
Glocked_N_Loaded 20
358Norma_fan 20
exbiologist 10
Lou270 20
tommygs 30
Junior1942 25
Cheesy 20
shinbone 20
johnw 20
TDL 20
Marshhawk 10
Dakotakid 20

FOsteology, Leupold VXII 2-7
Posted By: chas05 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Lou,
Please PM your address, $20 coming your way. Pics plz cool

Charlie
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Hey Lou, I hunt Jack county, could spare a doe to the young fellow on the lease I hunt. You can sit in the blind with the young one, I do have two chairs. You haul him, hunt with him, I'll sit in the trailer. Season runs what until mid Jan, let me know if you have time out of your hunting season for this.
Wtxj - Outstanding! I can find some time after mid December after I get back from a PA trip. I will PM you when I get back.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Wtxj - Outstanding! I can find some time after mid December after I get back from a PA trip. I will PM you when I get back.

Please do, have grandbaby being born Dec 29th, so will be out of town then for maybe a week. Mid Dec- to christmas sounds like a winner if you have time. Also member of parker county gun club, have a guest pass if he needs to shoot some, site in a scope that kind of thing.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
It truly amazes me what kind of people are on this website. I guess thats why I like coming here. I haven't been here long but I sure as heck am glad I found out about it.

That young man is going to be so happy come Christmas morning:)
Ok guys, going to basspro with Deborah to pick up a TC Venture in .270. I will get some pics. The final donation is below. Several have sent via paypal and I got a couple of MO in mail today (I will send out PM to those I received later today). I will keep an eye out for the rest. I am going to give Deborah a check in the amount of 295 today, again because of my schedule and easier that way vs trying to wait for everything to come in.

257Deland 20
1akhunter 20
Glocked_N_Loaded 20
358Norma_fan 20
exbiologist 10
Lou270 20
tommygs 30
Junior1942 25
Cheesy 20
shinbone 20
johnw 20
TDL 20
Marshhawk 10
Dakotakid 20
chas5 20

TOTAL 295
Posted By: 257STEW Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Originally Posted by deer
i just bought the 399 weatherby in 257 wby mag i love it cant beat it 4 the money

That is all the gun the kid would need....if the extra $99 becomes a problem then the stevens 200 in 25/05 or 7mm-08 would be a hell of a good starter gun,mine in 22/250 is a nice rifle for the price. I am always amazed at how inexpensive it was to buy,how innovative Savage is in making these guns and how accurate it is.
Assuming I did this properly here is a pic of the .270 TC Venture purchase. Comes with bases so got some rings.

Attached picture IMG00040.jpg
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
She looks like a very proud Mother. The boy is definitely blessed.
Score!!! Outstanding! Very proud mother indeed, good for her, hopefully her and her son can pay it forward someday.
Posted By: Junior1942 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
Score!!! Outstanding! Very proud mother indeed, good for her, hopefully her and her son can pay it forward someday.
They will, Glocked! If I've learned only one thing in life, it's this: good or bad, what goes 'round really does come 'round.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/25/09
This is great! Keep us updated on the kids hunting and shooting adventures.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
Ok we for sure have the Leupold scope right? As soon as I have a FOR SURE answer I may have a surprise I can share with you folks:)
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Ok we for sure have the Leupold scope right? As soon as I have a FOR SURE answer I may have a surprise I can share with you folks:)

Affirmative.
Actually I have a surprise one way or the other:) LOL sorry feels like Christmas around here:)
Ok then how about a nice set of binoculars. Vortex optics offered a scope but they also offered a set of binoculars as well if he already has a scope.

What a GREAT company!! all I did was contact them and let them know what was going on and they stepped up to the plate!!

Here is a link to the Diamondback binos.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/binoculars

Bill/WI
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
Definitely is The Season to be Jolly.
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
thats a great story.
mom is easy on the eye's too
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
Bill,

That is simply amazing! I am out of town for 2 weeks tomorrow AM. I will have access & be able to log in, but not in TX. I will let Deborah know and can probably just give you her address if we are on.

Thanks for doing this!

Lou
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
Lou,

If not too late, I'm in for $10, good thing you got rollin' here. Great bunch of guys here.
You are very welcome Lou. THANK YOU Lou for getting this going and everyone else who donated. THANK YOU Vortex for donating.

If you can PM me her address that would be great.

Bill/WI

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE.
Posted By: tbear Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/26/09
Great rifle & caliber. The Japanese have cut production cost way down on this rifle. One of the best buys available. I have a Mauser conversion in 257 Wby. w/McMillan stock that probably doesn't shoot any better & with all the refinements cost over $1,700.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/27/09
Lou-finally got logged into a paypal account, will be coming from my wifes, for a bit more than I said-use it for whatever is needed, bullets, sling, components, case, whatever.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 11/28/09
Hi all,
I received an email from Paul at Vortex today. They are temporarily out of Diamondbacks but will be getting some in after 12/5.

Lou I will need your address so I can give it to Vortex. I offered to pay shipping but they said they would do it for NO CHARGE!!

I am more impressed with them everytime I hear from them.

If you guys are in the market for a scope,binoculars or a spotting scope. Please take a look at Vortex. I know they are not doing this to sell product. They are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

I for one am extremely impressed with them. They don't know me at all and theystepped up to the plate to help out a young man get involved in hunting and shooting.
KUDOS to Vortex.

I hope you all had a GREAT Thanksgiving.

Bill/WI
Might just have to buy me some razors now! been needing some 10's.

Good on them for stepping up and hitting a home run!
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/03/09
I got an email from Paul at Vortex. He said they ( Diamondback binoculars) will ship out in a week or so. He has Deborahs address.

He said they are happy to help. Impressed is the only thing I can say about a company that helps out like this!!

Bill/WI
I concur and will tell you that next time I'm in the market for optics my first stop will be Vortex. Kudos Vortex for stepping up when many others would be fine with not contributing.
That's a big +1
Any new updates?
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/07/09
Glocked_N_Loaded -

I just got back in town last night. I have not talked to Deborah yet. Before I went out of town I gave check for full amount (295), we bought the TC Venture in .270 & Rings at Bass Pro (pic earlier). If she received the scope I will give her a call to come over to mount and I will post pics again. Was just going through mail and I have received either paypal or check/mo from all but one so far (though may have missed it as I had a load of mail).

Lou

Posted By: FOsteology Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/07/09
If she received the scope I will give her a call to come over to mount and I will post pics again.

USPS delivered the scope to their door Friday afternoon. grin
Very nice! Thanks for the update
Posted By: Iraklion Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/08/09
Originally Posted by Odessa
I have helped friends scope and zero both the Marlin XL-7 and the Stevens (both are chambered in .270 WIN). My view of the two is that both are a lot of rifle for the money and well built to last over the long haul. Unless the kid becomes a rifle looney he will be able to use either one of those for the rest of his hunting life.

I concur! I just put a Marlin camo XL-7 on law away the other day. Chambering? 30-06 of course. Perfect back up gun with my 2x7x33mm Leupy on it.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/09/09
I met some of the Vortex crowd at the NRA Convention in Louisville, a year ago this summer. They seemed like a real bunch of standup guys, and this post has proved it over and again.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/21/09
Just wondering if anything new is going on?

Bill
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/22/09
Deborah texted me today and said she got the binoculars from Vortex in the mail today. I also put the scope on the rifle over the weekend and she picked it up today while I was at work. I know she also got a gun case. I told her I would take Sean to the range the day after Christmas and will take him hunting sometime next week as I am off work. Expect some pics!
It's like most of us are more excited than they are, lol. Thanks for the update!
Posted By: Qhorse Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/26/09
Just found this thread and read through it all. You guys are an amazing bunch. Kudos to all who participated and made this a Christmas to remember for the boy and his mother.
Now I want to see the "post" opening pics...hurry up..(=
Posted By: tommygs Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/26/09
yeah lou... whassup wid dat?

bump.
Posted By: Bruzer Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/26/09
Just found this....Amazing gesture by all involved.

Merry Christmas.

Bruz
It felt good and I hope we can continue it whenever a similar situation arises. Hopefully the kid will pay it forward and also remember this Christmas always... the world we live in is definitely full of darkness at times but with what we were able to do here, bringing strangers together for a noble cause, all will never be lost.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
Well, it went over perfectly. Deborah put a note in a paintball gun box to throw him off that said "look behind the couch". As soon as he opened that present he new something was up and kept saying "no way"... All in all, he got the TC Venture .270, rings, the Leupold VXII 2-7 (which came with leupold scope covers), sling, a gun case, 2 boxes of 130 WW power points, and the 8x42 Vortex Diamondback binos. I took him to the range to try it out today. This is the first time he has ever shot a centerfire rifle (some rimfire/410) so I started him on my .257 Bob. He did a good job shooting, especially for a first timer and really enjoyed himself (I, on the other hand had a heck of a time with a .300 Weatherby tearing up a scope). Will get him out hunting in the next weeks... Thanks again to all!

Lou
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
No photos??
big +1
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
I emailed Deb for pics. I have one on phone from range today though have to download on other pc as I can't figure how to compress to acceptable size for this site.

Lou
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
Thats aweosme Lou!!! How did the Venture shoot? I have the same rifle and it shoots tiny little groups with H4831SC and 130 grain Sierra Gameking BTSP.

That setup should last him many many years.

Vortex sure stepped up to the plate with those Diamondback binos. They list for 269.00 MSRP but sell them for 219.00. What a great bunch of guys here and at Vortex.

BTW is he going to write thank you letters? Not to us but to Vortex, The gentleman that donated the scope and you? I think that would be an excellent idea for him.

Bill/WI
Posted By: Seafire Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
after just picking up an XL 7 in 270 this past week..

I think that it or the Stevens are a great choice for a youth's first rifle.. or a great back up rig...or truck gun..
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
Originally Posted by Seafire

I think that it or the Stevens are a great choice for a youth's first rifle.. or a great back up rig...or truck gun..

Or a TC Venture 270 that a bunch of people stepped up to the plate to help buy for this young man.

Bill/WI
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/27/09
after picking up a marlin and a venture, i don't think they really belong in the "cheap rifle" section anymore. i think they go in the "hell of a deal" area. smile
?
Posted By: johnw Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/29/09
I emailed Deb for pics. I have one on phone from range today though have to download on other pc as I can't figure how to compress to acceptable size for this site.

Lou

you can put whatever size pic that you have on here... the site will show any overly large pic to a limited size...

glad things worked out so well, and hoping to see pics soon...
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/29/09
I tried the range pic and said had to be less than 97.66KB. Deb said she will email pics of Christmas morning. When I get them I will upload.

Lou
Glad to hear all went well Lou. Hope you enjoyed your holiday and am excited to see those pics bro!
photobucket and create an acct. Upload your photo then copy past the IMG code into the body of the text.
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 12/29/09
Here's a range pic (still waiting on Christmas pic). Turns out he's right handed mostly (ambidextrous), but shoots lefty. In any case, you can see most goodies in pic.

Attached picture IMG00046.jpg
Woot! He'll be out hunting before you know it.
Bumping for updates with photos.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/04/10
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Originally Posted by Seafire

Or a TC Venture 270 that a bunch of people stepped up to the plate to help buy for this young man.

Bill/WI

you know, there is NOTHING better than a rifle that forum members pitch in a help purchase for a young man!

that is when belonging to these forums, really makes one feel proud!

best wishes for a happy, and healthy new year to the gentlemen that helped this young man get a rifle for hunting!
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/04/10
I still haven't gotten Christmas pics yet, though will ping again. I am planning on taking Sean hunting this weekend and should have some pics from that next week.

Lou
Get that young man a buck! He's a lucky kid
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/09/10
I hope you and Sean have a great time. It would be awesome to see him get a deer or a coyote or anything:)
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/09/10
Unfortunately, Sean's grandpa had some medical problems and went into surgery. Sean's family had to go out of town weekends as they want to be with him, but Deb said they will be in town next weekend. If I don't go to China this week for work I will try one more time to take him deer hunting (last weekend is next weekend). I have some pigs / varmits on my lease so if nothing else we still have that going for us.
Posted By: 257James Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/27/10
Pictures yet? Did you get to take him hunting??
Posted By: old_willys Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/28/10
I had a Marlin XL7 30-06 that I had planned to use it to build a 35 whelen, but it shot so well right out of the box a friend talked me out of it (He is very happy with it).

Having owned both the advantages of the Marlin X series over Vangaurds are..

They cost $100 less or better
They weight a 1 lb less ..my vangaurds were heavy...
The marlin trigger is easy to adjust and shoots great out of box
Shoot quite well...I know my vangaurds shot fine but only after a trip to the gunsmith for a new trigger..

Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/28/10
257- I have not taken Sean hunting yet. I tried at the end of the season, but his granpa had medical problems and they were going out of town on weekends to spend time with him. I have not bothered Deb too much as am not sure of how things are going on their side, but I will be going back up to my lease for pig hunting and Sean will be invited.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Bargain Deer Rifles - 01/28/10
I seen a TIKKA T3 the other day at Ganders used rack for $399.00. that would make a great deer rifle for someone.
© 24hourcampfire