Home
Hey guys,
In the middle of the great 6mm / 85 Grain TSX test this hunting season, I have become aware of what I feel is an opening in my hunting battery.

At present, I have a .280 bolt gun and a .30-06 autoloader in the safe. I own another .30-06 in a bolt gun, but my little brother has carried it off.

Anyway, I am thinking about bringing home a new rifle chambered for a cartridge with a shade more horsepower. There are three cartridges in the running, and I will list them in their present order.

1. 7mm Remington Magnum. As common as dirt. Has the ability to reach 3,000 fps with a 160 grain projectile. High BC, strong velocity, should equal a very good hunting cartridge. I am thinking about one of the sps models with the 26 inch barrel, that should help squeeze all the potential out of the cartridge.

2. 300 WSM. This cartridge has a great deal going for it as well. The short action is a good thing in my opinion. Factory ammunition is a tad more expensive than 7mm rem mag, but available. I like the fact that I could run 165 grain bullets at 3,000 plus, and still be under the ceiling for the rifle.

3. 270 WSM. Much like the cartridge above, except the ability to load 110 grain accubonds or TSX's to scary velocity. I am talking whitetails here.

I am interested in a cartridge that factory ammunition is readily available for. I handload now, but I have no idea whether my son will ever pick up the habit.

Go with the big 7. It will do everything you need and factory ammo is available pretty much anywhere.
300 WSM - it has all the horsepower ya need!!
If I wanted more than a 30.06, I would not be looking at .270s and 7 mms. Think .338 WinMag in your favorite rifle- make mine a Model 70 please.
Originally Posted by mrfudd
If I wanted more than a 30.06, I would not be looking at .270s and 7 mms. Think .338 WinMag in your favorite rifle- make mine a Model 70 please.

+1 to that
Go 300 RUM - what the hell!!
300 wsm
.280 and 7mm RM are too close in performance to justify getting one if you are looking to broaden your rifle selection. If you are mainly hunting whitetails, there is absolutely no need for a .300 WSM, Win Mag or the .338. That's like driving a tack with a 10 # sledge...way overkill.

If you are looking for something to fill the bill for elk, then yes a .300 WSM/Win Mag or .338 would be a good choice. I had a .300 WM for hunting whitetails and traded it off. Way too much gun for our area. A whitetail around here (NC) goes 175# for a mature buck and 200# is rare.

I think a 25-06 would fill your needs nicely if you are strictly hunting whitetails. Flat shooting and kills like lightning, plus you can use it for yotes and other varmint with the right loads.

Out of those 3, I'd go with the .300 WSM though...if I had to choose between those only.
I'm with a couple others with the "If you already have an '06..." angle. If you want to do something other than an '06 just for the hell of it what you listed seems a little, well, redundant. Fine cartridges all to be sure but if you're going to upgrade from 'Ol Reliable there doesn't seem to be much point in being incremental about it. As others have said a .338 is one option. (I actually went for the steroid version .340 Wby)

Other interesting options could be a .338/06 or .35 Whelen. For that matter if you handload a .375 H&H has lots of panache and can be loaded down to your needs. There's even a thread about the .375 and deer here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3429755/375_H_H_for_deer#Post3429755

Have fun regardless! (any reason is a good reason to need another rifle)
325 WSM seems to get good reviews from most big game hunters.Accuracy and knock down power in a short action.
300 wsm

i have two and really like em.
Why didn't the 7 WSM make your list?
Thanks for the replies, men. I realize that the 7mm Rem Mag is very close to the .280, and I also realize that the .300 WSM is more than is needed for a whitetail deer. I am beginning to lean toward the .300 WSM. For intents and purposes, it is a .30-06 on steroids. I keep reading that it has a very high potential for accuracy as well.
CrimsonTide

You'll be happier down the road with a 300 Winchester Magnum.
Utah,
I didn't include the 7WSM because of the potential for limited factory ammo availability. All the cartridges I mention are readily available even here in Podunk.
7stw,

I have to admit that I didn't recognize you or your posts without a vintage Kraut Pic.
I think that the Weatherby Vanguard in .300WBY is one of the best buys out there right now. I am also reading very good reviews on the .325WSM, as has been posted before. I have a SS/Syn Howa in 7mmWSM. I like it. Good luck.
#4. 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 HH or 300 Wtby.
croldfort,
I have owned a couple of .300 Weatherby's. They were fine rifles, but I am looking for a slot between the springfield and the Roy. RUM is definitely more than I am looking for.
300 H&H and reload for it. Horsepower and class.
I'll admit that the .300 H&H does have class, but it has little potential for factory ammunition. I am normally in the frame of mind that availability of factory rounds is meaningless. Lately, I am thinking that I want to ensure my son can pick up ammo even if he doesn't handload.
I'd like a .338 (06 or Fed)
Not much difference between anything mentioned here yet. Except for the 338WM.

Are you sure you might want just another rifle?
Originally Posted by HawkI
#4. 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 HH or 300 Wtby.

I agree with Hawk or take a bigger step and go 338 Win.
dude you have a 30-06 this is close to 300WSM, be bold go get one of those Stainless Steel 338 ruger compact magnums, or if you want to tote the weight a full size 338WM.

Me one day I want to own a Sako 7 pound 375 myself, maybe next year.

I'd go with a bolt in 300WSM of the fat and short, or my favorite, the 300WM. Since they are so close, I would pick the rifle and action length you want as the deciding factor.
Guilty.

Just thinking that the next slot to fill is between the '06 and the .300 Win Mag.
Jimmy,
I really would like to have a .338 RCM, but for now, I am thinking something with a little more reach.
As you already have a 280 and an '06, I'd go for either a .35 whelen/.338 RM, or a 25-06/257 bob
CT, I'd go with a Kimber MT in 300 WSM... it's a nice compliment to a 30-06 because it uses the same powders and bullets but will run a genuine 200+ fps faster.

I'm with brad! go 300WSM in the MT it's wicked cool.
.35 Whelen

Mike
Lots of votes for the .300 WSM. Also quite a few for the .338 WM. Interestingly, I don't recall a single vote cast for the .270 WSM.
#1 - I like the big 7mm...
I love my .270 WSM, would probably be the one rifle I kept if forced to be rid of all but one, however too me horsepower = bullet diameter.

Mike
I have a Tikka T3 in 300wsm if you're interested. Less than 40 rds through it. Too much gun for what I really do. Would love to hunt elk more but I guess my 06' with good loads and 50 yards closer will suffice.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
CrimsonTide

You'll be happier down the road with a 300 Winchester Magnum.

what he said...
What are you trying to do that what you have will not do?
I'm not sure I'd get anything else unless it was a 375H&H.

I know to many this sounds crazy; but I spent years and piles of dough to fill that gap between a good 7mm and the 375,and IMHO for most of the stuff we hunt,a good 270,280,7mag,or 30/06,especially with todays bullets,does about anything there is that needs "doing",especially if the bulk of your hunting is deer sized stuff.

And a 375 (H&H or Ruger,take your pick)with todays light bullet technology does whatever the 338's or 8 mags were formally intended to do. You can pile up a lifetime of game and never go near a 300 magnum.
I agree that the .280, 7RM, 300WSM, .30-06, etc, are all too close for you to ever really notice a difference on game or at the bench. Seems to me like the bigger hole is between the 6mm and the .280, to which I would say that the .25-06 would fit the bill perfectly, especially if it's just for deer and smaller- even though I carried mine for elk this year...
If you have a '06, none of the choices you outlined are gonna give you any significant added punch. Except possibly extended range with the big 7. Sorry to say, but if you're deer hunting, the .280 and the '06 have got you covered.
If you were to get a .338, it ain't gonna kill the deer any deader than you're killing them now. It'll beat you up more but that's for you to decide. If you reload and water it down to the level of what you've already got, what's the point of having it?
If anything, go the other way and get you a 7-08 or .260. They're both excellent deer cartridges that really come into their own with hand loading.
Originally Posted by RinB
What are you trying to do that what you have will not do?

Rin,
Dadburn your hide. Here you are talking experience and common sense. As are quite a few of you.

When I mentioned horsepower, I guess I should have clarified. What I am looking for specifically is added range. (percieved though it may be.)

Hey Rin,
I had to go back and read your post about turning 60. You mentioned having a pair of .270's and a 7mm mag. (I assume Remington.) I read where you said the 270 and the 280 were virtually two peas in a pod. Then a couple of lines down you mention that the 7 mag is more gun than a .270.

It would seem that you found a use for a 7mm mag in an area beyond the .270/.280?

Originally Posted by BobinNH
You can pile up a lifetime of game and never go near a 300 magnum.

Heresy!!!
Originally Posted by johnw
You can pile up a lifetime of game and never go near a 300 magnum.

Heresy!!!

HeeHee! grin
CrimsonTide, the only thing I haven't seen here is what game you intend to use this rifle on, and in what conditions (though I gather it's open country). Power and flatness of trajectory are two different things.

If elk's on the agenda, I'd consider the .300 Weatherby. Best of the .300s, IMO, significantly more power than any of the 7s, flatter than nearly all. A cartridge I have a deep affinity for is the .338 Win Mag - powerful, accurate, relatively flat shooting - great elk cartridge.

On the other end, if elk isn't on your list and flat shooting is for deer and antelope sized game, I'd take a hard look at the .257 or .270 Weatherby Magnums. The 25-06 is likewise outstanding.

All this said, with your 30-06 gone, I'd get another. If there's a more versatile cartridge on earth, I haven't seen it.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

When I mentioned horsepower, I guess I should have clarified. What I am looking for specifically is added range. (percieved though it may be.)

I suggest the 7mm RM for you. It is more powerful than what you have and will reach as far as common sense says to shoot. In fact its that perception that you mention and the not so bad recoil that made the 7mm RM so popular.

==================================================================

I was going to leave my suggestion above alone however just as Brad selected a Kimber in 300 WSM I like certain rifles more than certain cartridges. Thus I would be tempted to look close at the design of the Kimbers, M70's etc. The features that the Kimbers come with such as an easy to use M70 type safety, CRF, etc. appeal more than any particular round.

But, heck, this is the fun of guns. Get what you want today and be happy today. They are easy to trade later.
7RM is a fantastic use of the belted hull. Use an action with plenty of room, a barrel of a goodly length/twist, and throw the lawn darts.....
If you have an itch that needs scratched forget the baby steps and move up to a .338 of some sort.....how about a .338 RUM?? That'll move you up the horsepower scale.
Given what you already have and I wanted a step up in power for deer, I would go to something like the .35 Whelen. Of the ones you list I would choose the .270 WSM. I don't know if you can call it a step in horsepower from the .280/06 (I wouldn't really call the others that much either), but it will shoot the flattest of the bunch which is a bit different than what you have.

Lou

Aha! Now we get to the rub of it. What you really need is a .257 Roy. That is the first case we have talked about that has a performance envelope that has any significant difference from the .280/30-06, and also avoids a whole bunch of recoil that you don't need.
I have spent money on arms like a middle east dictator and have learned that if you want an obvious increase in terminal effect over a 270/280/7RM then go to 9.3 or 375. There may be a "picket fence" in the lineup of cartridges but there is not such in actual effect on big game animals. Listen to BobinNH's advice.
Originally Posted by utah708

Aha! Now we get to the rub of it. What you really need is a .257 Roy. That is the first case we have talked about that has a performance envelope that has any significant difference from the .280/30-06, and also avoids a whole bunch of recoil that you don't need.

Yep. When I read "horsepower" I went bigger. If this is the criteria then I'd look really hard at the .257 Wby.

One day I'm gonna go crazy, find a .257 I really like and hunt everythng with either it or my .340. (Well, other than my 30-30, but that's for sentimental reasons)
Oh Man!
the .257 Roy does make a bunch of sense for what I want. I will have to go gunbrokering. My sincere thanks for all the replies.
If it's more horsepower your looking for the 338 win mag is hard to beat. It is the "go to" gun for many people around my area for elk. You already have an excellent deer and thin skinned game getter (the old faithfull '06):I think everyone should have an 06 or two laying around.I've heard the 7mm rem mag refferred to as the ballistic twin to the 30-06 (not that I believe that because it is flatter shooting and it retains more energy with similar weight bullets). As for the 300 wsm and 300 win mag, they have their downfalls (trust me, I don't want to go into specifics):Besides that, the 30-06 can almost duplicate the 300 mags when you shoot the federal high energy and hornady light magnum loads.
I'm sorry, I didn't see your side note for more range not necessarily "more horsepower". If that is what you are looking for, I'd go with one of the fast 7's. They have a very high ballistic coefficient, so the retained energy is greater and the trajectory is flatter. That was easy now that we are clear about what you want.
None of the ones you listed are substantially more than the 30-06 you've already got. If you really want more the 338 WM is the way to go. If you just want another rifle, been lots of good suggestions. The 338 is the one I carry more than any other.
I think if you load your own ammo you can handload the 06' or 7mag to do anything a 300 can do in the best factory loads. I would also agree that a 375 would cover what is left over by downloading it. But if your hell bent on a 300 mag the original win mag is time tested and available everywhere.
Get a 416. weatherby or 50. bmg
I had a few 300 and 270 WSM's and gotta like the 270 the best for a deer and sometimes elk round. No flies on the 300, but the 270 WSM has a little less recoil and mine shot good and dropped deer quite well. My longest shot was about 400 yards and don't believe any animal needed two rounds. Most went straight down. Were it not for a shoulder issue, it would still be in the safe, and the go to when the time came.
my vote goes to the 35 Whelen .
Hummm.... If I were to move up from my 7mm Rem Mags.(I have 2# and they are very diffrent so try not to laugh) Which for all practical purposes doesn't really seem have any more noticeable horsepower than a .30-06. Though in all fairness to the 7RM it does seem to shoot abit flatter.

Practical horsepower.. I'd probably have go for something in a .338. For me a .338 win mag would be plenty to keep me amused for some time.. While the Uber mags are interesting. And certainly they do offer some added horsepower. I tend to think about things like: Can I get ammo at walmart? Is it really worth burning all the extra powder? Though I must admit that something in a .30/378 or a .338/378 is very appealing and could be in my future.. The .338 Win Mag seems to be about the biggest step up that seems practical at least from my perspective..

Still the siren's song of feeling the ground jump,and watching the shockwave bend the grass in front of me. And the nagging question: How much rifle can I really hold to bear? Make me look at rounds like the. .408 Chey Tac, .416 Barrett, And yes the .50 BMG.... Does anyone make a lightweight sporter version of any of these? (ROFLMAO!!!!)

Hey guys,
In the middle of the great 6mm / 85 Grain TSX test this hunting season, I have become aware of what I feel is an opening in my hunting battery.

At present, I have a .280 bolt gun and a .30-06 autoloader in the safe. I own another .30-06 in a bolt gun, but my little brother has carried it off.

Anyway, I am thinking about bringing home a new rifle chambered for a cartridge with a shade more horsepower. There are three cartridges in the running, and I will list them in their present order.

1. 7mm Remington Magnum. As common as dirt. Has the ability to reach 3,000 fps with a 160 grain projectile. High BC, strong velocity, should equal a very good hunting cartridge. I am thinking about one of the sps models with the 26 inch barrel, that should help squeeze all the potential out of the cartridge.

2. 300 WSM. This cartridge has a great deal going for it as well. The short action is a good thing in my opinion. Factory ammunition is a tad more expensive than 7mm rem mag, but available. I like the fact that I could run 165 grain bullets at 3,000 plus, and still be under the ceiling for the rifle.

3. 270 WSM. Much like the cartridge above, except the ability to load 110 grain accubonds or TSX's to scary velocity. I am talking whitetails here.

I am interested in a cartridge that factory ammunition is readily available for. I handload now, but I have no idea whether my son will ever pick up the habit.

From the list of three you mention, I would vote for Number 2.
Everyone else in my house voted for Number 2 also..LMAO
1. You like the short action
2. You reload

.325 WSM
338 WM
I am talking whitetails here.

That right there tells me you're already more than covered.

This may not be a popular opinion but I'd sell your 280Rem and 30-06 Auto and use the $$ to buy/build another 30-06 so you and your brother are shooting the same round.

Shoot the snot out of that new 30-06 and you'll never have the need for another gun, regardless of range of quarry..... cool
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I'm with a couple others with the "If you already have an '06..." angle. If you want to do something other than an '06 just for the hell of it what you listed seems a little, well, redundant. Fine cartridges all to be sure but if you're going to upgrade from 'Ol Reliable there doesn't seem to be much point in being incremental about it. As others have said a .338 is one option. (I actually went for the steroid version .340 Wby)

Other interesting options could be a .338/06 or .35 Whelen. For that matter if you handload a .375 H&H has lots of panache and can be loaded down to your needs. There's even a thread about the .375 and deer here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3429755/375_H_H_for_deer#Post3429755

Have fun regardless! (any reason is a good reason to need another rifle)

I agree with the Whelen choice. I have one and it is a major upgrade over the '06 in power. The Whelen can be handloaded to nearly equal 338Mag energy levels and good handloads can actually carry more energy at 300 yds than factory 338 Mag loads. A Whelen loaded with 250 gr bullets at 2500+ fps is capable of killing almost any animal walking the face of this earth.
I'm not sure I'd get anything else unless it was a 375H&H.

I know to many this sounds crazy; but I spent years and piles of dough to fill that gap between a good 7mm and the 375,and IMHO for most of the stuff we hunt,a good 270,280,7mag,or 30/06,especially with todays bullets,does about anything there is that needs "doing",especially if the bulk of your hunting is deer sized stuff.

And a 375 (H&H or Ruger,take your pick)with todays light bullet technology does whatever the 338's or 8 mags were formally intended to do. You can pile up a lifetime of game and never go near a 300 magnum.

Well said my friend. I'd vote for a 700 SPS or XCR in 375 and go forth and fill up an ark.

Many good rounds are suggested and they'd alll be a bit of fun but the 375 is the way I'd go. Sides it's a heck of a yote round.

You have a what sounds like a couple of good rigs including an 06. So that would help me to bump up a bit in power as well including over the 300 WSM. I look at the diff tween the 300 short mag and the 06 as the 300 will run a bullet about 12 grains faster at basically the same speed. Point being the 06/168 combo will run about as fast as most 300 WSM/180 combo's should be run. For the most part....<g>

Best of luck to ya but I'd go with a 375 no ma doubt!

Dober
300 H&H Mag
Now I fully imagine all the guys saying, "you're covered, you don't need another gun" have no duplicity in their gun safes............NOT! Sounding like your wives, IF they only knew. grin
Originally Posted by RickyD
Now I fully imagine all the guys saying, "you're covered, you don't need another gun" have no duplicity in their gun safes............NOT! Sounding like your wives, IF they only knew. grin

Hey, I clearly ended my first post with the following:

"Have fun regardless! (any reason is a good reason to need another rifle)"

Then again, I'm single... smile
Crimson Tide,
For Deer? I understand that unless your deer are a lot tougher than most, everything you own will work, but sometimes you just WANT a louder noise! If you had to justify different guns, you might have only a '06 in the safe. Not much it won't do here in the lower 48 for most people.

If you reload for that '06 and have to get projectiles, I'd look at a fast 30. The .300 WSM is a good accurate round and the 300RUM is also a good choice. I have the 300RUM and I really enjoy it for shooting and hunting. I reload for it , not hard at all. Loaded moderately, fired from a 26" 700BDL with the new Remington squishy pad installed, the recoil is tolerable. Going to hunt plains game in Africa, it is my choice because I shoot it well and it will do what I need there.

A .338 class gun could be fun, I considered it recently. If I was to get another gun, I might jump up a notch and get a .375H&H. though I'd probably never get the chance to hunt with it. Why? Because I can. grin Or I want to. wink If I had to justify my guns based on need, I'd have to sell most of them!

Have fun and enjoy what ever you get!
Personally ... save the scratch and go hunt.

But,since you asked, if you were only in to SA, I'd say the 300WSM (& it pains me to do so). BUT, since the LA 7emem mag is on your list and you don't seem to mind a LA ... 300Winnie is a clear winner (IMHO .. since the WBY seems to outta the running and factory ammo is a consideration). 150 TSX should add all the range you need AND those 200gr pills may be a nice option someday!
If its whitetal your aftera 7 rem mag. is tough to beat.If your ever going to hunt elk i'd go for the 300 win mag for added bullet wieght. I'm not a fan of the wsm family.I've had four.3 model 70s and a custom montanna rifleman. never could get the velocity and group size combo i wanted.

JMHO
© 24hourcampfire