Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I had a few 300 and 270 WSM's and gotta like the 270 the best for a deer and sometimes elk round. No flies on the 300, but the 270 WSM has a little less recoil and mine shot good and dropped deer quite well. My longest shot was about 400 yards and don't believe any animal needed two rounds. Most went straight down. Were it not for a shoulder issue, it would still be in the safe, and the go to when the time came.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
HR IC

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
my vote goes to the 35 Whelen .

O
O
Hummm.... If I were to move up from my 7mm Rem Mags.(I have 2# and they are very diffrent so try not to laugh) Which for all practical purposes doesn't really seem have any more noticeable horsepower than a .30-06. Though in all fairness to the 7RM it does seem to shoot abit flatter.

Practical horsepower.. I'd probably have go for something in a .338. For me a .338 win mag would be plenty to keep me amused for some time.. While the Uber mags are interesting. And certainly they do offer some added horsepower. I tend to think about things like: Can I get ammo at walmart? Is it really worth burning all the extra powder? Though I must admit that something in a .30/378 or a .338/378 is very appealing and could be in my future.. The .338 Win Mag seems to be about the biggest step up that seems practical at least from my perspective..

Still the siren's song of feeling the ground jump,and watching the shockwave bend the grass in front of me. And the nagging question: How much rifle can I really hold to bear? Make me look at rounds like the. .408 Chey Tac, .416 Barrett, And yes the .50 BMG.... Does anyone make a lightweight sporter version of any of these? (ROFLMAO!!!!)

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Hey guys,
In the middle of the great 6mm / 85 Grain TSX test this hunting season, I have become aware of what I feel is an opening in my hunting battery.

At present, I have a .280 bolt gun and a .30-06 autoloader in the safe. I own another .30-06 in a bolt gun, but my little brother has carried it off.

Anyway, I am thinking about bringing home a new rifle chambered for a cartridge with a shade more horsepower. There are three cartridges in the running, and I will list them in their present order.

1. 7mm Remington Magnum. As common as dirt. Has the ability to reach 3,000 fps with a 160 grain projectile. High BC, strong velocity, should equal a very good hunting cartridge. I am thinking about one of the sps models with the 26 inch barrel, that should help squeeze all the potential out of the cartridge.

2. 300 WSM. This cartridge has a great deal going for it as well. The short action is a good thing in my opinion. Factory ammunition is a tad more expensive than 7mm rem mag, but available. I like the fact that I could run 165 grain bullets at 3,000 plus, and still be under the ceiling for the rifle.

3. 270 WSM. Much like the cartridge above, except the ability to load 110 grain accubonds or TSX's to scary velocity. I am talking whitetails here.

I am interested in a cartridge that factory ammunition is readily available for. I handload now, but I have no idea whether my son will ever pick up the habit.

From the list of three you mention, I would vote for Number 2.
Everyone else in my house voted for Number 2 also..LMAO

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. You like the short action
2. You reload

.325 WSM

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
338 WM

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I am talking whitetails here.

That right there tells me you're already more than covered.

This may not be a popular opinion but I'd sell your 280Rem and 30-06 Auto and use the $$ to buy/build another 30-06 so you and your brother are shooting the same round.

Shoot the snot out of that new 30-06 and you'll never have the need for another gun, regardless of range of quarry..... cool

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I'm with a couple others with the "If you already have an '06..." angle. If you want to do something other than an '06 just for the hell of it what you listed seems a little, well, redundant. Fine cartridges all to be sure but if you're going to upgrade from 'Ol Reliable there doesn't seem to be much point in being incremental about it. As others have said a .338 is one option. (I actually went for the steroid version .340 Wby)

Other interesting options could be a .338/06 or .35 Whelen. For that matter if you handload a .375 H&H has lots of panache and can be loaded down to your needs. There's even a thread about the .375 and deer here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3429755/375_H_H_for_deer#Post3429755

Have fun regardless! (any reason is a good reason to need another rifle)

I agree with the Whelen choice. I have one and it is a major upgrade over the '06 in power. The Whelen can be handloaded to nearly equal 338Mag energy levels and good handloads can actually carry more energy at 300 yds than factory 338 Mag loads. A Whelen loaded with 250 gr bullets at 2500+ fps is capable of killing almost any animal walking the face of this earth.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm not sure I'd get anything else unless it was a 375H&H.

I know to many this sounds crazy; but I spent years and piles of dough to fill that gap between a good 7mm and the 375,and IMHO for most of the stuff we hunt,a good 270,280,7mag,or 30/06,especially with todays bullets,does about anything there is that needs "doing",especially if the bulk of your hunting is deer sized stuff.

And a 375 (H&H or Ruger,take your pick)with todays light bullet technology does whatever the 338's or 8 mags were formally intended to do. You can pile up a lifetime of game and never go near a 300 magnum.

Well said my friend. I'd vote for a 700 SPS or XCR in 375 and go forth and fill up an ark.

Many good rounds are suggested and they'd alll be a bit of fun but the 375 is the way I'd go. Sides it's a heck of a yote round.

You have a what sounds like a couple of good rigs including an 06. So that would help me to bump up a bit in power as well including over the 300 WSM. I look at the diff tween the 300 short mag and the 06 as the 300 will run a bullet about 12 grains faster at basically the same speed. Point being the 06/168 combo will run about as fast as most 300 WSM/180 combo's should be run. For the most part....<g>

Best of luck to ya but I'd go with a 375 no ma doubt!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
P
300 H&H Mag

"If you can't convince them, confuse them"
-Harry S Truman
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Now I fully imagine all the guys saying, "you're covered, you don't need another gun" have no duplicity in their gun safes............NOT! Sounding like your wives, IF they only knew. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RickyD
Now I fully imagine all the guys saying, "you're covered, you don't need another gun" have no duplicity in their gun safes............NOT! Sounding like your wives, IF they only knew. grin

Hey, I clearly ended my first post with the following:

"Have fun regardless! (any reason is a good reason to need another rifle)"

Then again, I'm single... smile

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Crimson Tide,
For Deer? I understand that unless your deer are a lot tougher than most, everything you own will work, but sometimes you just WANT a louder noise! If you had to justify different guns, you might have only a '06 in the safe. Not much it won't do here in the lower 48 for most people.

If you reload for that '06 and have to get projectiles, I'd look at a fast 30. The .300 WSM is a good accurate round and the 300RUM is also a good choice. I have the 300RUM and I really enjoy it for shooting and hunting. I reload for it , not hard at all. Loaded moderately, fired from a 26" 700BDL with the new Remington squishy pad installed, the recoil is tolerable. Going to hunt plains game in Africa, it is my choice because I shoot it well and it will do what I need there.

A .338 class gun could be fun, I considered it recently. If I was to get another gun, I might jump up a notch and get a .375H&H. though I'd probably never get the chance to hunt with it. Why? Because I can. grin Or I want to. wink If I had to justify my guns based on need, I'd have to sell most of them!

Have fun and enjoy what ever you get!

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally ... save the scratch and go hunt.

But,since you asked, if you were only in to SA, I'd say the 300WSM (& it pains me to do so). BUT, since the LA 7emem mag is on your list and you don't seem to mind a LA ... 300Winnie is a clear winner (IMHO .. since the WBY seems to outta the running and factory ammo is a consideration). 150 TSX should add all the range you need AND those 200gr pills may be a nice option someday!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If its whitetal your aftera 7 rem mag. is tough to beat.If your ever going to hunt elk i'd go for the 300 win mag for added bullet wieght. I'm not a fan of the wsm family.I've had four.3 model 70s and a custom montanna rifleman. never could get the velocity and group size combo i wanted.

JMHO

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (Angus55, 160user, 257 roberts, alwaysoutdoors, 35, 10ring1, 18 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,892
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.